more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

BFR: Car bomb found in New York's Times Square

Started by Logicalman, May 02, 2010, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

BBC Link

New York City police have defused an improvised car bomb parked in Times Square, one of the city's busiest tourist areas.

They say propane tanks, fireworks, petrol and a clock device were removed from a parked sports utility vehicle.

So far, there is no evidence that it was more than a "one-off event", the US homeland security chief said.

Forensic evidence including fingerprints had been recovered, Janet Napolitano told NBC television.

"We're treating it as if it could be a potential terrorist attack," she said.

Early on Sunday the vehicle was towed to a forensic lab in the city's Queens district and Times Square was reopened.

Part of the district - where many theatres are sited - had been sealed off on Saturday night after the bomb alert.

Both US President Barack Obama and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised the quick response by the New York Police Department.

"We are very lucky," Mr Bloomberg told reporters. "Thanks to alert New Yorkers and professional police officers, we avoided what could have been a very deadly event."

He said the bomb "looked amateurish" but could have exploded, adding that the incident was a "reminder of the dangers that we face".

Correspondents say the New York City Police Department is on constant alert after a series of alleged terror plots in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

"The NYPD bomb squad has rendered safe an improvised car bomb," said New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

"I think the intent was to cause a significant ball of fire," he added.

The alert was triggered when a street vendor saw smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder parked on 45th Street and Seventh Avenue at about 1830 (2230 GMT) on Saturday.

The vehicle had its engine running and hazard lights flashing, officials said.

Police shut down several blocks of Times Square, as well as subway lines, while a robotic arm broke windows of the vehicle.

"There were explosive elements, including powder, gasoline, propane and some kind of electrical wires attached to a clock," police spokesman Paul Browne told reporters early on Sunday.

"No motive has been identified," he added. A metal box resembling a gun locker was also recovered, police say.

Show goes on

Security footage is being reviewed after reports that a person had been seen running away from the vehicle.

Police have established that the car's registration plates do not match up with the Nissan. They belonged to a car owner in the state of Connecticut, who told officers he had sent the plates to a junkyard.

Most Broadway shows went ahead despite the alert.

Jerry Brown, one of the tourists evacuated from the nearby Marriott Marquis hotel, told the BBC: "Guests are sitting on the street and there is considerable chaos... There is talk about moving us to another hotel but I am not sure how this is going to happen."

FBI agents joined NYPD investigators at the scene.

The White House said President Obama was being kept up to date on the investigation.

On everyone's mind is the city's darkest day, the 2001 attack on the Twin Towers just a few miles away, says the BBC's Barbara Plett in New York.

The most recent terror alert in New York City involved a plot to set off suicide bombs in the subway system.

Earlier this year an Afghan immigrant, Najibullah Zazi, and an associate, Zarein Ahmedzay, both pleaded guilty in connection with the attempt.

Last year four New Yorkers went on trial accused of plotting to bomb synagogues in the city and fire missiles at military aircraft.

Steve_orino

At a loss for words, I just dont understand this threat that we live with today.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Tom

They caught the guy and arrested the clown at JFK airport trying to leave the country. I hope this guy rots in hell and takes it from behind from bubba in prison!  :014:
Fulham for life!

McBridefan1

ya, but somehow the video or pictures of bubba and he will be leaked to the press and the ultra libs will cry his rights are being violated... no its not his rights that we want violated it's his arse, phuq him with a pork sausage. DB.

YankeeJim

Yea, they caught him after they let him on the plane. It had actually pulled away from the gate when the TSA woke up. They talked to him for a bit and gave him his Miranda rights. Do any of those fools in the Obama administration know that you only have to Mirandize him for things that'll be used in court? He has intelligence that we should have used a hot poker up his arse to find out. Who trained him? Where? Who helped him? Who financed him? etc. After you get that, you Mirandize him and convict him based on the car & the cameras & lock him away in gen pop until some bad boy does his civic duty & sticks a shive in him. All this pretending to be protecting society will end up getting someone killed. We have been lucky twice since the panty bomber on Christmas day. We won't be lucky forever.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Tom

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 05, 2010, 01:30:25 AM
Do any of those fools in the Obama administration know that you only have to Mirandize him for things that'll be used in court?
Simple answer NO! Bunch of idiots who have no idea what they are doing!!!
Fulham for life!

finnster01

Give credit where credit is due. At least they (barely) caught the bugger.

I can tell you on thing though, if that SUV bomb had blown up it would have been real nasty. That night was the warmest we have have had in New York this year, and although Times Square is always busy, that would not have been the best of days for bad stuff to happen here. That is for sure.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

YankeeJim

Quote from: finnster01 on May 05, 2010, 04:39:24 PM
Give credit where credit is due. At least they (barely) caught the bugger.

I can tell you on thing though, if that SUV bomb had blown up it would have been real nasty. That night was the warmest we have have had in New York this year, and although Times Square is always busy, that would not have been the best of days for bad stuff to happen here. That is for sure.

Finny, your signature applies to that fine mounted police officer who took control of the situation as well. Glad to know we have men of character amongts us. Must be a vet.  :dft012:

FatFreddysCat

Torture him for all the info he has then hang him  :54: .

Tom

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 06, 2010, 10:54:16 PM
Torture him for all the info he has then hang him  :54: .
Hell yeah Freddy, I totally agree with you!!! I say hang him by his little nut sack!  :54:
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on May 11, 2010, 11:04:13 PM
hmmmm, obviously either there's no "no politics" on this side of FofF or the Moderators aren't paying attention.
Or perhaps the Mods might agree that some bastard who is trying to blow innocents up might just deserve a bit more than his Human rights will allow. And how many lives may be saved if he was made to talk? Obviously you was asleep on 9/11 Hatter Don.

YankeeJim

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 21, 2010, 10:52:05 PM
hmmmm, obviously either there's no "no politics" on this side of FofF or the Moderators aren't paying attention.
Or perhaps the Mods might agree that some bastard who is trying to blow innocents up might just deserve a bit more than his Human rights will allow. And how many lives may be saved if he was made to talk? Obviously you was asleep on 9/11 Hatter Don.

Freddy,
No need to slander our dear Mr. Hatter. He wore the uniform.  Everyone was asleep  on 911. We woke up. Too bad so many on both sides of the pond have gone back to sleep.

FatFreddysCat

Sorry Jim just cant see how anyone can not think that this scum bag who could have killed hundreds of innocent men, women and kids deserves any justice. I can assure you if i was in charge of the CIA or whoever will be interragitng him , he'd definately tell me everything i'd need to know to save other innocent lives. If he was lucky and helpful then he might just get a quick death brather than the slow painful death he deserves.

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 22, 2010, 02:54:01 AM
Sorry Jim just cant see how anyone can not think that this scum bag who could have killed hundreds of innocent men, women and kids deserves any justice. I can assure you if i was in charge of the CIA or whoever will be interragitng him , he'd definately tell me everything i'd need to know to save other innocent lives. If he was lucky and helpful then he might just get a quick death brather than the slow painful death he deserves.
Mr Freddy,

I agree with both you and Mr YankeeJim. I would fry the nuts of this chap until he talks. MacDonald's can be useful for something.

However, the reason I am writing this is to point out the fact that Mr Hatter wore a uniform and fought for his country and deserves his well due respect for that. Just like YankeeJim did. In fact, I salute that.  I don't think Mr Hatter was asleep on Sept 11, nor do I question if there were anything he could have done to prevent it, he sure would. And so would I. And as my nephew is doing now. Third tour in Afghanistan. I am very proud of him. I fought for my country too and all I got when I came back was a cold shoulder, a couple of free pints, two medals, and 6 months of rehab on my crushed arm. Wonderful stuff.

We have a lot to be proud of in our country, but treating our vets with the respect we deserve is not one of them. Not that it matters anymore anyway, but it sure hurt when it did.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

McBridefan1

all that is well true, however that being said... I don't think we should censor ourselves. before 9-11 I would have agreed no religion or politics in any polite conversation... but in today's climate all topics should be openly discussed so we never become too complacent ever again. In my mind not talking about this stuff does far more to neglect the sacrafices our men and women who have served their country have made... However I do respect the "Mad Hatter" and am grateful to he and those like him who have served.

YankeeJim

As a side note, the 31st is Memorial Day. I'm flying to that great garden spot, Little Rock, Arkansas for a family reunion. The greatest veteran I've ever know will be there. My father (WW2 & Korea) will be 86 in August and is still full of pi&& & vinager. My neice & her husband (both first Gulf) will be there as well. If you all would tip a glass in their honor it would make me happy.  

Freddy, no harm mate. To be sure I'd be happy to give that turd & all the rest like him a fair amount of kidney filtered beer.

Finny, to your nephew............ :beer:    :047:  ...and all the rest that served.

Tom

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 23, 2010, 02:05:42 AM
As a side note, the 31st is Memorial Day. I'm flying to that great garden spot, Little Rock, Arkansas for a family reunion. The greatest veteran I've ever know will be there. My father (WW2 & Korea) will be 86 in August and is still full of pi&& & vinager. My neice & her husband (both first Gulf) will be there as well. If you all would tip a glass in their honor it would make me happy.  

Freddy, no harm mate. To be sure I'd be happy to give that turd & all the rest like him a fair amount of kidney filtered beer.

Finny, to your nephew............ :beer:    :047:  ...and all the rest that served.
Here, here! I will be tipping a cold one Jim to all our service men and women, it is because of these people we have our Freedom!  :beer:
Fulham for life!

Logicalman

Mr D,
The Mods are wide awake on this side of the MB, and if the 'politics' did get out of hand, I have no doubt they will step in, but letting off a little steam over something so dreadful is not something that I worry about until it becomes too abusive and puts the MB in a dangerous position.

As for the 'political' slant of the "Do any of those fools in the Obama administration know that you only have to Mirandize him for things that'll be used in court? " comment, it should be noted that the service provided by the TSA and security admins in the US has actually changed very little over the past 5 years, only the policies covering the 'inmates' has been modified. So, to politicize might not be the best argument put forward.
The fact that the airlines tended to check the watch list on a very limited basis (rather than for each flight/hourly, etc) might be more of a wake-up call to business side to take security more seriously than the traveling public do.

YankeeJim

Mr Logicalman,
Another attendee at my reunion will be a cousin who is a lead TSA agent at the Tampa, FL airport. I'll run that by him and be happy to report back.

As to the political nature of my comment you noted, I have to agree that it was political and for that reason likely inappropriate on these pages. However, had those that had the NY bomber in custody handled him properly, they would have questioned him as to his fellow agents both here & abroad, where & what was his training, etc. They then could have then convicted him on the vehicle and other evidence after Miranda was given. As it was, they mirandized him at the getgo and likely missed intelligence that could have been meaningful in other areas. My political frustration was at those who fail to take the terroism threat seriously. I have seen what pain stupid politicians create with their politicaly correct ideas.

Logicalman

Mr YJ,

We can both agree that politicians are to blame for most of the mess that has occurred in the handling of security that led up to and since 9/11, though, from the reports I have seen concerning the NY car-bomber, it appears - even after Miranda - he has been quite forthcoming as to his contacts here, abroad, and other such issues. The problem, as I see it, is that once he is detained, as he IS a suspect, then any questions concerning his guilt for that offense, or other criminal offenses committed (and that includes giving support to terrorism), is subject to Miranda. If they simply want to ask him background and intelligence questions, not pertaining at all to any charges that can be brought against him, then no Miranda is required.

The problem that I have with the ability of any governmental agency being able to step outside of firmly laid-down rules, is that unfortunately, as has been seen on many occasions both here and abroad, abuses take place. I note, in particular, that people such as myself, a permanent resident, hold less rights than that car bomber, at least he is a citizen. Therefore we both come at this issue from different perspectives, though I would suspect with the same wish to see the agencies have the ability gather intelligence as a prime goal, and less hindered by rules, but the need to preserve the rights of both Americans and those that live, quite peacefully, in the US, must still be a prime directive, lest we wish to simply become another democracy in name only.