watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clint Dempsey going back to the MLS

Started by Azeedo, August 01, 2013, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azeedo

He'll be playing Champions League but in the Concacaf lol.  Sometimes your own ambition can take you back to ZERO. 064.gif

Fulham76

Quote from: Azeedo on August 01, 2013, 10:51:11 PM
He'll be playing Champions League but in the Concacaf lol.  Sometimes your own ambition can take you back to ZERO. 064.gif

What a waste!

Azeedo

Azeedo

21.20 BST: Rumours just starting to hit Twitter that Clint Dempsey could be heading back to the MLS after Spurs agreed a fee with an unnamed club. Guess he should never have left Fulham.

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

mangoputney

Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

TWFL

Quote from: mangoputney on August 01, 2013, 11:08:08 PM
Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on August 01, 2013, 11:07:42 PM
I'd take him back in a heartbeat

+1
+2

Especially with Kaca's recent injury and lack of goalscoring midfielders. Him over Taarabt any day.

Andy S

After all the slagging off he got from some last season I doubt that he would come. May be Liverpool would like him now.

HatterDon

What a load of rubbish. You guys take my breath away with your gullibility.

Dempsey was Spurs second most effective attacker last season -- behind only Bale is goals per minute played and assists per minute played. So far this off-season, according to what I've seen on this site, Tottenham is shipping out Bale, Adebayor, and Defoe, and now Dempsey. Who will they start up front? Jimmy Greaves?

You 13 year olds might want to ask your grandfather who Greaves is.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Bassey the warrior

Bizarre. I would definitely take him back so long as he accepted that sometimes Kaca would start. He'd have many takers in Europe. Seems a rather backwards move.

RidgeRider

Quote from: The Moose on August 01, 2013, 11:30:26 PM
Bizarre. I would definitely take him back so long as he accepted that sometimes Kaca would start. He'd have many takers in Europe. Seems a rather backwards move.

Bizarre is what I am thinking as well. I can't believe this is true. Usually I keep my mouth quiet about him but I would take him back in a heartbeat, but the bad blood seems thick. We need the goals though.

btings

This is only happening if somebody in MLS is offering a truckload of money, and even then, it seems unlikely.

BarryP

This isn't bizarre it is a twitter rumor and if the report of the "rumor" is accurate it is a poor rumor because Tottenham would be negotiating with the MLS not an unnamed club and under MLS rules Dempsey's rights are probably already owned by a MLS club. The MLS is single entity and Spurs would have to negotiate with the league. Anything could be true but the odds on thos one are long.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

valdeingruo

Barry is correct in that line of thinking. I dont think that an american player who has played previously in the MLS can just go to any club he wishes, some team has rights to the contract, its a bit odd but thats the way it works. Hes a great player and we could use his goals. If both sides were to say "we were wrong" I think it would go a long way to fix things. The dissenters would be hard on him at first, but if he had another campaign here like the one he did before he left, I seriously have doubts that the majority of the supporters would slag him off.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Azeedo

Quote from: HatterDon on August 01, 2013, 11:29:34 PM

Dempsey was Spurs second most effective attacker last season -- behind only Bale is goals per minute played and assists per minute played. So far this off-season, according to what I've seen on this site, Tottenham is shipping out Bale, Adebayor, and Defoe, and now Dempsey. Who will they start up front? Jimmy Greaves?

Well bud it's espn saying it, last time I checked the spurs bough Chadli from Twente.  So very possible, may not be the MLS but he's a surplus at the spuds no matter how special Americans think he is...

btings

Quote from: Azeedo on August 02, 2013, 12:46:44 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 01, 2013, 11:29:34 PM

Well bud it's espn saying it, last time I checked the spurs bough Chadli from Twente.  So very possible, may not be the MLS but he's a surplus at the spuds no matter how special Americans think he is...

The only place I've seen ESPN report this (here: http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/9471?cc=5901) only cites "rumours on twitter" as a source.  So this is not exactly Adrian Wojnarowski writing this thing.

If this happens, the shock isn't that Dempsey is surplus at Spurs (which is true), it's that MLS has apparently jumped about nine levels in the estimation of people like Dempsey and, one assumes, Jurgen Klinsmann.

Azeedo

This is from the spuds forum, kind of makes sense
Things change.

When this window is over his options might be.......

1) Rotation
2) A heavy amount of the bench
3) Sale to a team that isn't challenging for Europe
4) A loan to a team that isnt challenging for Europe.
5) A move out of country where he'd have to settle in a whole new culture.

If those are his options option #6 move to the MLS might not seems so bad. I agree though it's unlikely but I think with £85m to spend it's very unlikely he'll be a signficant part of this team when it's all said and done

triny

:048:I think he's right for are club but he draged the club through the mud before he left I'm never playing for this club again for me he's a great that gone :048

Snibbo

He clearly thought we weren't good enough for him.
It looked very much like he pretty much went on strike before he left.
He wanted to play for Liverpool! Supposedly because he wanted toplay in the Champions League. What was that all about?
His motivation if he did come back, would be doubtful.
It's a big "NO" from me. Time to move on.