watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol's Qualities as a Manager

Started by Forever Fulham, August 02, 2013, 10:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

About to start another season.  Last one put a scare into me and a lot of you as well, judging from your comments.  Martin Jol has had time to mold the playing style of the team to his liking.  Based on what you've seen so far, what do you think of him as a manager?  Is he helping, hurting, or does he seem like a nonfactor re: results? 

Markffc123

I Do Like Jol but one thing that irritates me is -in some games when you can tell the team needs a substitute-he waits untill the last 10 mins to make the change and sometimes his tactics are poor-but i like the way he manages the players-they know who is boss and the players know if they get on the wrong side of him they will be shafted out-and some of his signings have been decent.

results have been okay-not great-just ok-i think next year will be his defining year.

JackyFulham90

I really like Jol he is a quality manager, we finished a decent 12th concidering the centre midfield we had,  he has made this squad his own there can be no excuses this year

Whiteroom

I'm a fan. I've always liked him. I do think that the next season will be the most telling.

jms

He has no qualities.....has favourites; is divisive; has limited motivational skills; and very occasionally gets lucky. Hope he is gone by christmas.
I would love to 'eat my words'...but sadly, for our club and it's wonderful fans, I fear I won't be.

mungos beans

Werder bremen game sums it up really, he still hasn't got a clue

Bryanthebroom

Yeah I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that I'm a fan too. I agree with JackyFulham 90 in that we did well considering our team and, although he didn't get the best out of Berbs and Ruiz, I think that at least tried shaking things up with Rodders - but had to persevere with the partnership purely because Rodders just couldn't score up front, whereas Berba in that position at least carried a goal threat.

I think Jol's greatest quality as a manager, apart from his man management, is that he at least always TRIES to play the right way, and can attract the big names to do it for him.

Last season he didn't quite have the squad to play a free flowing entertaining passing game, and the team struggled because he doesn't really know how to play any other way. Let's face it, he's never been a defensive-style manager.

I honestly believe that with a few key signings, we'll play some decent stuff this season.

Humbled

I like Mr Jol.
Sometimes a little stubborn and nees do learn to drop players when they are having little to no impact or having a poor game.

Whiteroom

Quote from: jms on August 03, 2013, 12:50:53 AM
He has no qualities.....has favourites; is divisive; has limited motivational skills; and very occasionally gets lucky. Hope he is gone by christmas.
I would love to 'eat my words'...but sadly, for our club and it's wonderful fans, I fear I won't be.
Is this a joke? If you're being serious then this is the biggest load of sensationalist and unfounded rubbish I've heard for a while. Even if you are a critic, you have to acknowledge that Jol does have undeniable qualities. He can attract players (look at Berba!), he does try to play nice football, he definitely has a presence in the team, and commands respect. Look at his record as a manager, look at who he has managed. You don't have as illustrious a career without doing something right. A few too many, JMS?

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I don't think he's capable of tactically winning us matches, I've only seen evidence of it once; in his second season when we came back from 2-0 down to beat Newcastle 5-2 bringing on Chris Baird before HT and AJ at HT.

HatterDon

I agree with my fellow Texan, Ag [who should be about ready for a milk carton] who says that to get the best of Jol, he must have a very deep squad filled with top quality players. He's not the best manager for a club like ours -- filled with moderately talented players and not a lot of depth.

Unless we develop a squad as strong as he had at Tottenham, we won't see the real Martin Jol.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Old Count

I never thought he was right for this club but has hasn't been a disaster. As has been said before he works better with more technicaly gifted players. Unlike Roy he can't get the best out of what we've got / can afford.

Once again, this season will tell.  It's his team now.  Lets see how we do.

Oakeshott

"Is this [JMS's comment]  a joke? If you're being serious then this is the biggest load of sensationalist and unfounded rubbish I've heard for a while."

I think JMS is being absolutely serious and I couldn't have put it better myself. Jol has no positive characteristics as a manager and is arguably the most over-rated (by the pundits) Premiership manager for ages. He destroyed a decent squad that knew what it was doing and instead of gradually trying to improve things we have seen almost all our better and genuine "Roy" and pre "Roy" players go and instead we have a collection of (often) non triers, occasionally brilliant but mostly running around like a disorganised rabble. Like a stopped clock, Jol is right on occasion, and our German fullback is that occasion. For the rest ...

Birmingham White

I was delighted when Jol joined Fulham but he hasn't done as well as I hoped.

Qualities - I think he does a good job of attracting quality players and clearly is a coach that foreign players recognise and want to play for. I like his philosophy of wanting to play attacking football and it can't have been easy for him working on such a small budget.

Negatives - I don't think the team fight and work hard enough for him and I think we could be fitter. I would like us to be more organised and have players to fit a formation. We have good players like Berba & Ruiz but they don't compliment each other very well and as a result the team lacks balance sometimes. I wish we were trying to buy a fast & powerful forward to lead the frontline (as well as Bent) Gomis would have been perfect. We could then stretch teams and defend better from the front.

In his last interview Jol say's he has a good budget so this is the season to really judge him.

fulhamben

what over manager would have done aswell as jol with the way the board sell our gems and expects the manager to replace them with peanuts. also jol for me is by far the best manager we have had at attracting top class players. can you imagine roy or hughes signing berba. infact hughes failed to sign berba when he had the biggest transfer kitty in the world. lets all hope shad gives jol the money he deserves in this window so that he can build the team he wants and not just throw one together on a shoe string
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

VicHalomsLovechild

The Old Count

I don't think he's cuddly.....he looks more like Jabba the Hut.

VicHalomsLovechild

Jabba's mum probably gives him a hug now and then !

FTID

He has the ability to get the best out of players-look at duff. Last season he started brilliantly, scoring for fun against teams like Manchester United and putting crosses in that land right on the players head. He had a poor end to the season but he's 32, what can you expect. He finds playes who he knows have talent and make sure they get the best out of it.

fulhamben

Quote from: FTID on August 03, 2013, 09:55:43 AM
He has the ability to get the best out of players-look at duff. Last season he started brilliantly, scoring for fun against teams like Manchester United and putting crosses in that land right on the players head. He had a poor end to the season but he's 32, what can you expect. He finds playes who he knows have talent and make sure they get the best out of it.
34 mate. 35 in march
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.