News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey not motivated by money I heard some of you say...

Started by MikeCdawg, August 07, 2013, 03:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyFulham1

I'm not someone who said that, but the article proves nothing.

Azeedo

Dempsey is a joke, True money is good not hating on the man, but it does lack class as player to lower the level of competition for an easy pay out. And trust me MLS is still light years away from the EPL.

HatterDon

And of course, Mr. Azeedo, you'd turn down the paycheck and the stability for your family, right?

Right.

Mods, can we lock this thread now? Maybe we could ... you know ... talk about Fulham instead.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CanadianCottager

Hey enough of the MLS bashing, its been insufferable on this board for the past few weeks. I'm not terribly fond of Dempsey but its a fine move for him and if you'll stop looking down your noses long enough to watch the MLS you'll find the quality of play isn't half as bad as you'd think

BarryP

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

psand22

He's been gone over a year, so let's all move on as well.

tommy

simplyfulham

Quote from: CanadianCottager on August 07, 2013, 04:26:40 AM
Hey enough of the MLS bashing, its been insufferable on this board for the past few weeks. I'm not terribly fond of Dempsey but its a fine move for him and if you'll stop looking down your noses long enough to watch the MLS you'll find the quality of play isn't half as bad as you'd think

Oh please.

I've seen few bits of the MLS - enough at least! It's still a relatively poor standard in world terms.

They're actively trying to help the competition, but it still remains you cannot just engineer competition. It comes over time (as well as many other factors - eg. MONEY). The Premier league was formed in 1992, but the foundations of a competitive top league in England were set decades before.

mccscratch

Quote from: simplyfulham on August 07, 2013, 01:20:54 PM
Quote from: CanadianCottager on August 07, 2013, 04:26:40 AM

Oh please.

I've seen few bits of the MLS - enough at least! It's still a relatively poor standard in world terms.

They're actively trying to help the competition, but it still remains you cannot just engineer competition. It comes over time (as well as many other factors - eg. MONEY). The Premier league was formed in 1992, but the foundations of a competitive top league in England were set decades before.

I suppose we should ask Juve what the standard of the current MLS is at the moment... Nobody is on here saying that the MLS is of a standard anywhere near the Premier League but this is not some minnow league anymore... I would easily put it on par with Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Sweden... heck maybe even Portugal at the moment...

Watch this video and tell me which team looks to be substandard... yes it is preseason but Juve put out a very strong side...

[HD] Juventus vs LA Galaxy (1-3) All Goals & Full Match Highlights | Int. Champions Cup
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

mccscratch

Oh... and Dempsey's first match for Seattle vs Cascadia rival Portland... has already sold 65K+ tickets... MLS is hardly small time...

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Forever Fulham

Portland v. Seattle.  $65,000+ tickets already sold.  That stadium will be insane.   Yeah, I was going to mention Juventus' demonstrable loss to the Galaxy but you beat me to it.  But of course it's equally true the MLS isn't on par with the EPL.  The salaries bring better overall talent to the EPL.  The very same high salaries that Dempsey, alone, could get to return to the MLS.  But that's not the real story here.  The real story also isn't the startling accelerated pace at which the MLS level of play is improving.  No, the real story is why.  And I don't have a clear explanation for it.  Do any of you?

Logicalman

I think this subject line has been done a death long before now.

Best of luck to him in the MLS, he will bring the reputation of that league up by leaps and bounds, and hopefully accelerate the progress the MLS are making in bringing the beautiful game to those fair shores.

I, for one, have decided to follow Seattle for the foreseeable future, in the hopes that his skills will rub off on both team-mates and foe, alike, and lead to some exciting matches.

As for the 65K tickets being sold for the Timbers game, from reading up, I'm not so certain that is down to Demps alone, as these teams have a history, and sellouts are not as rare as one might like to think for match involving these teams (either pre-season of mid-season) apparently.

Forever Fulham

"I think this subject line has been done a death long before now."

Where? Have I missed the lengthy discussions attributing reasons for the accelerated improvement in quality of MLS league play?    I'm not interested in a Dempsey discussion (if that's what you thought)--which has been, I agree, beaten to death (with one side overshouting the other).  He's but a footnote in the larger inquiry into the pace of improvement in the MLS.  I floated out the simple question, "Why the pace of improvement?"  This subgroup talks about a lot of things, dear moderator, far removed from Fulham.  Jokes, the weather, traffic congestion, where to still find cheap beer, and so on.  No, my question simply used Dempsey's move to Seattle as a segue into an inquiry why better players are playing in the MLS today, reinforced in part by  the Galaxy able to beat Juventus 3-1 (with Juventus fielding starters), where is the organic farm system for the MLS.  Just kicking a recent development (big improvement in quality of play) around a little, looking for answers.  I wasn't aware that been discussed to death long before now...

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 07, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

Where? Have I missed the lengthy discussions attributing reasons for the accelerated improvement in quality of MLS league play?    I'm not interested in a Dempsey discussion (if that's what you thought)--which has been, I agree, beaten to death (with one side overshouting the other).  He's but a footnote in the larger inquiry into the pace of improvement in the MLS.  I floated out the simple question, "Why the pace of improvement?"  This subgroup talks about a lot of things, dear moderator, far removed from Fulham.  Jokes, the weather, traffic congestion, where to still find cheap beer, and so on.  No, my question simply used Dempsey's move to Seattle as a segue into an inquiry why better players are playing in the MLS today, reinforced in part by  the Galaxy able to beat Juventus 3-1 (with Juventus fielding starters), where is the organic farm system for the MLS.  Just kicking a recent development (big improvement in quality of play) around a little, looking for answers.  I wasn't aware that been discussed to death long before now...

I am sure there are several reasons, scouting, $$$, better organizations, but I think there are 2 big things happening.

The depth and quality of soccer in the U.S. is finally maturing to the level everyone has been talking about happening for 2 - 3 decades. The final step will be the emergence of a true world wide "star" from the U.S. Then media will have their "Jordan" or "LeBron" to play up and the next generation of players will have the idol that spawns future stars.

The bigger reason IMO though, MLS has been concentrating the CONCACAF region's talent into one league (minus Mexico) and this has slowly been improving the play of the mid and lower tier teams in the region, thus lifting Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, etc in the process and those teams keep feeding back players into MLS and further improving the quality of play.

Forever Fulham

You make a good point, Wolverine.  I hadn't thought about the other CONCACAF countries' players (minus Mexico) as a feeder for the MLS.  We don't yet have a full-scale apprenticeship format for junior players, relying a lot, instead, on club-to-college players for homegrown talent.  We have no Messi to Barcelona at 13 set up here.     

cottagecornerreject

I hate the move as I'm sure Kilinsmann does. Hard to justify you're team captain setting a good example by stepping down a league and stepping down in competition in a world cup year. On the other hand personally how could he not. Last big payday and saw this article on bale which quotes this, "with the Telegraph claiming Bale would be paid £7.8 million a year in wages over a six-year deal." If that's true how could he turn down a wage that would pay him ridiculously close with Bale. If Seattle wants to go nuts how could he not do it. I hate it for him professionally but anyone would have to take it.

Forever Fulham

I really miss him not being in a Fulham shirt.  But, then, I miss Dickson Etuhu, too, so I'm not to be trusted.  Sure, the money had to factor into it.   The wages, guaranteed at that, are so high for a U.S. player.  You have to think of your family.  He's 30.  But think of it this way: He's walking into more pressure than if he had stayed at Spurs and had to fight for minutes.   Maybe he conclude that Spurs weren't likely to get into Champions League at the end of the upcoming season.  Much is expected of him playing for Seattle, and he knows it.  He's setting him self up for a lot more pressure as the poster boy for the league now.  I wonder if his wife was homesick.  In any event, there are reports being floated that he is already anticipating, with approval, loan out arrangements back to the EPL when MLS season ends each year.  So he may very well have planned to keep one foot in the EPL waters.  I won't miss the shots and petty put-downs on the fan boards over his departure.  If the man walked on water, half of the posters would attempt to convince the rest that he can't swim.

simplyfulham

mcscratch, I don't mean to knock the MLS. In all honesty I think it's great in terms of enjoyment. You guys get to see some genuine stars as their careers are winding down. Watching players like Henry and Beckham before we lose them altogether is a fantastic thing.

My only argument is that by improving the best players in your league by bringing them in (eg. Dempsey UK -> USA) you're not improving the worst players in the league. The disparity in the league only becomes more obvious.

That's what I mean when I say you cannot engineer competition.

It's a little like QPR and the takeover. With all the money they had they went out and bought top class talent to add to their squad.

As good as all the Granero's, the Julio Cesar's and the Remy's are.. They still can't make the Clint Hill's, the Shaun Derry's and the Bradley Orr's any better then they are. If you get me? You just see the difference between them even more.

That's a little like the MLS at the moment. Although it's going in the right direction, and I'm sure Dempsey will find the MLS in a better state than he left it some 8 years ago, it's still got a lot further to go.

Logicalman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on August 07, 2013, 08:19:21 PM

I was talking about the subject matter, Dempsey etc, etc...

As for the MLS discussion, I'd like this moved to another thread and have a frank discussion, as I feel the move by Demps and other ex-prem and European-league players will have a great knock-on effect for the MLS and soccer in the States overall, bringing more fans into watching the MLS and also the overall standards, which can only prove good.