News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham make enquiry for Esteban Granero, QPR happy to let him and Mbia go.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, August 08, 2013, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Granero was at QPR from the start of the season.  Their marquee signing played 19 games  was a sub in 5, scored 1 goal, and  got 7 yellow cards. He signed  a four year deal and cost nearly £9M  and  is believed to  have had a £5.5m release clause, triggered if Rangers were relegated.

Interesting then that the HaHa are not looking to loan him  or sell him at £5.5M  
but want to offload him for £2M odd ( less than half of the get-out clause.)

Stupid or what ???

Aaron

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 08, 2013, 08:09:28 PM
If we could get Faurlin or Granero for a reasonable fee or a loan to buy deal, then I would MUCH rather either of them over Sidwell or Karagounis starting.

People saying don't get them because theyre QPR players are stupid. If theyre good for us, then I don't care where they came from (imagine turning down Lampard on a free just because he was from Chelsea).

They didn't have great seasons last year, but as part of a stable'ish team I'd like to give them a go as they are the type of player that we need.
so anyone saying they don't want those players who couldn't even shine in the worst team in the league, are stupid? Great logic that mate. Suppose cos he played well a few years back in a different country for a team that will only have 2 hard matches all year must mean he is a god. Quick lets sign the Celtic squad they all looked good last year. Surely they can reproduce that in a different league as well

WUM?  This has to be?  Surely?

A regular starter for probably the best club side in the world is crap because his team are better than any opposition they are going to face?

Players for relegated clubs are automatically "Championship at best" because their team got relegated?

I just read another thread where you made some really good points.. What have you been smoking since then?

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: KCat on August 08, 2013, 09:10:21 PM
Granero was at QPR from the start of the season.  Their marquee signing played 19 games  was a sub in 5, scored 1 goal, and  got 7 yellow cards. He signed  a four year deal and cost nearly £9M  and  is believed to  have had a £5.5m release clause, triggered if Rangers were relegated.

Interesting then that the HaHa are not looking to loan him  or sell him at £5.5M  
but want to offload him for £2M odd ( less than half of the get-out clause.)

Stupid or what ???

Presumably they've been trying to offload him for more all summer, but they'll settle for getting his high wages off their books.

Bassey the warrior

As for the whole question about whether or not to sign QPR players I'd prefer to assess the players in abstraction: what are their qualities and are they what we need?
I don't know Faurlin or Granero amazingly well but my understanding is the former is an out and out deep lying playmaker and the latter more of a number 10. I could be wrong. Well we need a deep lying playmaker or at least someone who can defend and we have four players who can play off the striker very comfortably already.

fulhamben

Quote from: Aaron on August 08, 2013, 09:58:49 PM
If we could get Faurlin or Granero for a reasonable fee or a loan to buy deal, then I would MUCH rather either of them over Sidwell or Karagounis starting.

People saying don't get them because theyre QPR players are stupid. If theyre good for us, then I don't care where they came from (imagine turning down Lampard on a free just because he was from Chelsea).

They didn't have great seasons last year, but as part of a stable'ish team I'd like to give them a go as they are the type of player that we need.
so anyone saying they don't want those players who couldn't even shine in the worst team in the league, are stupid? Great logic that mate. Suppose cos he played well a few years back in a different country for a team that will only have 2 hard matches all year must mean he is a god. Quick lets sign the Celtic squad they all looked good last year. Surely they can reproduce that in a different league as well

WUM?  This has to be?  Surely?

A regular starter for probably the best club side in the world is crap because his team are better than any opposition they are going to face?

Players for relegated clubs are automatically "Championship at best" because their team got relegated?

I just read another thread where you made some really good points.. What have you been smoking since then?
nothing, all I am saying is its easier to look decent in a successful team than it is a non successfull one. Who gives a crap what he done at real. All I care about is if he would be good for us. and we only have his last season to go on for proof of what he would be like for us, and as he wasn't very good last year in the PREMIERSHIP I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. And if he is such a great player then surely one of the top 8 will be bidding for him any second now
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Aaron

Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 10:06:23 PM

nothing, all I am saying is its easier to look decent in a successful team than it is a non successfull one. Who gives a crap what he done at real. All I care about is if he would be good for us. and we only have his last season to go on for proof of what he would be like for us, and as he wasn't very good last year in the PREMIERSHIP I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. And if he is such a great player then surely one of the top 8 will be bidding for him any second now

We need to try and make a success out of players that aren't on the radar of larger teams though.. Our entire transfer budget is less than a lot of them would spend, on impulse, on a 5th choice striker.

Would I take a risk on someone who has a season (albeit not the best one in history..) in the Premier League under his belt, is 26 and was making the Real Madrid first team a couple of seasons ago?  Yes, I would.

I don't think you can be so dismissive of his time at Real either as frankly, last season's QPR team is for my money the worst organised shambles the league has ever seen.. Lots of good players went into that squad and none of them did anything.. I can only assume they were so disillusioned with the state of affairs they gave up before they even tried.

fulhamben

Quote from: Aaron on August 08, 2013, 10:20:54 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 08, 2013, 10:06:23 PM

We need to try and make a success out of players that aren't on the radar of larger teams though.. Our entire transfer budget is less than a lot of them would spend, on impulse, on a 5th choice striker.

Would I take a risk on someone who has a season (albeit not the best one in history..) in the Premier League under his belt, is 26 and was making the Real Madrid first team a couple of seasons ago?  Yes, I would.

I don't think you can be so dismissive of his time at Real either as frankly, last season's QPR team is for my money the worst organised shambles the league has ever seen.. Lots of good players went into that squad and none of them did anything.. I can only assume they were so disillusioned with the state of affairs they gave up before they even tried.
so of all the players in the world, you are happy to take him even though by your own admission, he didn't have a good season and probably gave up trying to do well for them. Can't one of you sell this player to me? What does he have going for him other than poor form and by all accounts a bad attitude because he didn't care/ try hard enough for them.

Aaron

He's cheap, he is young (relatively), he is capable of playing well enough to make 70 appearances for Real Madrid over the course of a few seasons and he plays a position we really need to fill.

It's a risk, yes, but he's still almost certainly going to be better than Kara or Sidwell and has the capacity to do a very good job for us.  We're a club that's good at making the best out of players nobody else wants.  How much of that has to do with the fact that we can't sign players anyone else wants because they'll pay more or are more prestigious I don't know.. But when we spend big, we end up with Marlet, Johnson and Ruiz..

Deanothefulhamfan

Its funny how Swansea turned down Granero, yet half of you are desperate to sign a player who didnt perform in the premier league last season, our midfield is that bad obviously.... Whether he was with a poor QPR side or not he didnt even look good at any point. Yes he may have played for Real madrid, but some players cannot adjust to the premier league, and that is not enough of a.reason to just throw money at a player who is a risk.... He would be much more suited to Spain, where he could have as much time on the ball as he likes.

I actually think Faurlin has showed some signs of being a decent player, and would be a better option than Granero and Mbia.... But he wasnt mentioned in the OP?

fulhamfever

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 09, 2013, 03:14:59 AM
Its funny how Swansea turned down Granero, yet half of you are desperate to sign a player who didnt perform in the premier league last season, our midfield is that bad obviously.... Whether he was with a poor QPR side or not he didnt even look good at any point. Yes he may have played for Real madrid, but some players cannot adjust to the premier league, and that is not enough of a.reason to just throw money at a player who is a risk.... He would be much more suited to Spain, where he could have as much time on the ball as he likes.

I actually think Faurlin has showed some signs of being a decent player, and would be a better option than Granero and Mbia.... But he wasnt mentioned in the OP?

Just playing devil's advocate here but the fact that Swansea said no needn't necessarily put us off, we don't know the context. QPR may (probably) have asked for his (alleged) release clause of £5.5 million to be met at that point and now (again allegedly) they're asking for £2 million.
Given that Swansea got Shelvey, a young and highly rated England international player for £5 million it's understandable they refused to sign him.

I haven't seen much of either of them really but from what I've seen I'm more keen on Faurlin because he defended quite well as well as passed well when I saw him.

Joe McDonald

Quote from: The Moose on August 09, 2013, 08:17:54 AM
Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 09, 2013, 03:14:59 AM

Just playing devil's advocate here but the fact that Swansea said no needn't necessarily put us off, we don't know the context. QPR may (probably) have asked for his (alleged) release clause of £5.5 million to be met at that point and now (again allegedly) they're asking for £2 million.
Given that Swansea got Shelvey, a young and highly rated England international player for £5 million it's understandable they refused to sign him.

I haven't seen much of either of them really but from what I've seen I'm more keen on Faurlin because he defended quite well as well as passed well when I saw him.

Faurlin was the only really class player on show for QPR last season, friends of mine that support QPR really rate him.  I think he'd be a really good signing for us as a deep lying playmaker. 

As I've said before, I think Granero is worth a punt too, a technically gifted slightly advanced central midfield player, although I'd like to see Kasami given a real run in tis position at some point soon as I think he could become a very good classic No.8 in our midfield.

rusty shackleford

some interviewer

Nick Godwin ‏@NickGodwinsport 12m
Redknapp not expecting Granero or Faurlin to leave. Doesn't think either will be going to fulham #qpr #ffc

fulhamben

Quote from: rusty shackleford on August 09, 2013, 10:22:14 AM
some interviewer

Nick Godwin ‏@NickGodwinsport 12m
Redknapp not expecting Granero or Faurlin to leave. Doesn't think either will be going to fulham #qpr #ffc
good

TheManOnTheBus

Swansea saying "no" might also be because of the personal demands of the player.  He might want twice the wages to live in South Wales instead of London. I know I would.

supersimmo123

fulhamben

Quote from: TheManOnTheBus on August 09, 2013, 10:39:07 AM
Swansea saying "no" might also be because of the personal demands of the player.  He might want twice the wages to live in South Wales instead of London. I know I would.
very true, plus he would have to pay a tenner every time he went back in to wales.