watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maarten Jol - A summary

Started by Stefano Okaka Chuka, August 10, 2013, 07:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefano Okaka Chuka

What have been the positives and the negatives of Jol's reign so far at the Cottage?
I'll get the ball rolling.
Positives: he managed to reinvent Dembele from a goal shy forward to a brilliant midfielder;
             his emphasis on youth development was really needed and we are starting to see the fruits with the U21 and the U18 teams                  doing brilliantly and Kaca and Mesca getting game time in the first team;  
             his ability to attract names we normally wouldn't be associated with from across Europe and top players like Berba;
             his first season at the helm was decent enough and we played some good stuff especially at the end of the season;
             he is slowly but surely improving our dire away form;
             he is doing pretty good in our local derbies;
             he knows how to exploit shrewdly the loan market and how to snap decent players for free.

Negatives: It's getting ridicolous that he keeps complaining about the losses of Dembele and Dempsey (sometimes even Murphy);
              he should address the Ruiz-Berba matter, this partnership doesn't work and it has been proven time and time again, so he
              should know better as it is his job on the line and bloody change it;
              the Ruiz deal, we paid too much and it hasn't worked out as we all hoped;
              our Europa League campaign in 2011/12 was always going to be difficult compared to our previous one, but to get out in the  
              group stages was dissatisfying;
              he is too afraid to change sometimes, I had this feeling especially during our winless run last season;
              talking of which, last season was underwhelming.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

Barnettski

To me, the positives massively outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

Barrie

Good summary.  Overall, IMHO, a very good manager for a club at our level where youth development is the key to our future, and the club's name and history alone are not enough to secure the signatures of players of Berbatov's calibre.

MJG

With regards the u18/21 I'm not convinced that Jol has much to do with the scouting or signing of those players.
Its more of a club strategy no matter who the manager is.

epsomraver

So Kit Symons and the other development managers do nothing? it is all Jol? Jol who never attends a reserve game unlike Roy and Ray did   some people will clutch at straws to defend him

JackyFulham90

I like Jol atleast he knows we need to strenghten the squad he is a good manager for a club our size he is the man for the job

jms

Quote from: epsomraver on August 10, 2013, 07:34:45 PM
So Kit Symons and the other development managers do nothing? it is all Jol? Jol who never attends a reserve game unlike Roy and Ray did   some people will clutch at straws to defend him
:plus one:

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Azeedo

Ruiz was our second best player last year when it comes to goal and assists as sad as that is I have seen clubs pay way more and not even get  5 goals in return.  That's just my opinion  I don't believe friendlies should dictate how our season is going to end up.  We have done very well in the transfer market almost  paying next nothing; to this to me is an achievement of it's own.  Sure we all want results more depth in our line up, better players.  We have fear this same demons every new season and our current coach has proven to get results. That's all I'm saying  

Deanothefulhamfan

Jol has just under 3 weeks to bring in some quality or he will be gone by christmas.....

I think we were poor last season and 12th was probably a bit flattering. I think we are on a slow decline under Jol , and unless he sorts out our starting 11 and gets us to play some good attacking football we will have a long hard season.... Khan will be trigger happy with Jol as he will not want us to go down in his first season after taking over.... Jol needs Fulham to start quickly and with our current squad I think that is unlikely.

I dont think he can take any credit for the development of the youngsters to be honest.

Jamie88

Quote from: MJG on August 10, 2013, 07:34:30 PM
With regards the u18/21 I'm not convinced that Jol has much to do with the scouting or signing of those players.

I'm not so sure, for example, I remember reading an interview where Muamer Tankovic had said the fact it was Martin Jol who wanted him, it heavily influenced him in choosing Fulham. I think he was due to be off to a Serie A side before Jol showed interest at the last minute.

Sammyffc

actually jol does attend youth games ... many pictures on twitter with fans with jol at u21 and u18 games. sorry to ruin your buzz .

MJG

Quote from: Jamie88 on August 11, 2013, 09:27:09 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 10, 2013, 07:34:30 PM

I'm not so sure, for example, I remember reading an interview where Muamer Tankovic had said the fact it was Martin Jol who wanted him, it heavily influenced him in choosing Fulham. I think he was due to be off to a Serie A side before Jol showed interest at the last minute.
I never said he none..I said much to do. But my point stands that the overall strategy is a club one, not the managers. Thar comes from a new book I'm reading at the moment which includes a chapter on our chief scout.

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on August 10, 2013, 07:34:45 PM

Well generally it is the manager who decides the coaching sessions and the style of play he wants to put in place, and that is usually followed all the way down to the development squads, so yes he does have a massive input into the structure, and yes i have seen him at reserve matches.

some people will go out of their way to put him down at any time/place.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Berserker

Well I've decided my strategy today is to go and pick my gooseberries at allotment, via Wyevale where I will stop and have a cup of tea and scone. Then later I will go to pub and watch the football while have a glass or two of cider. : )

Sorry if this only has a tenuous link to our current team issues and will be of no use to Martin JoL at all : (
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.