News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Too many conclusions from Pre-season games...

Started by CanadianCottager, August 10, 2013, 09:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianCottager

I've been as apprehensive as most over our preseason form but come on some of you need to relax about these preseason results, they have no bearing on our league standing and little to say about how we will really do this season. A couple of meaningless games and now Jol needs the sack and Ruiz is the worst thing that ever happened to football. If I recall correctly based on pre-season form last year this time some were pegging Mladen Petric to be a world beater and looked how that turned out. Personally I've been very happy with the business we've done in the transfer market and feel we have a much better XI than in May now. Yes, we could use a handful of depth players but if all our starting 11 come September are already in the squad I won't be terribly worried.

JackyFulham90

Agreed we have some top players in our squad but Gargano & Bent will give us a better chance of a top 10 finish

epsomraver

Quote from: CanadianCottager on August 10, 2013, 09:49:12 PM
I've been as apprehensive as most over our preseason form but come on some of you need to relax about these preseason results, they have no bearing on our league standing and little to say about how we will really do this season. A couple of meaningless games and now Jol needs the sack and Ruiz is the worst thing that ever happened to football. If I recall correctly based on pre-season form last year this time some were pegging Mladen Petric to be a world beater and looked how that turned out. Personally I've been very happy with the business we've done in the transfer market and feel we have a much better XI than in May now. Yes, we could use a handful of depth players but if all our starting 11 come September are already in the squad I won't be terribly worried.

Petric was a good player in the first games as well until he stopped getting any service and got injured, meaning less preseasons, this has been two poor HOME games that has shown that nothing has changed from the dismal finish of last season, don't say Swansea cos that was a flash in the pan against a team that was on the beach already and had nothing to play for.

Denver Fulham

Even the manager said if we roll with the same team, we will have the same season.

People are overreacting to actual results and whatnot, but reacting with perfectly reasonable levels of concern that we still have gaping holes in our starting XI that have been apparent since last summer, and Bryan Ruiz, for all his positive individual traits, doesn't fit anywhere in the lineup that doesn't make us worse overall.

sussexwhite

Very well said CanadianC., like I've said on other threads, we need to stay calm for at least 8-ish games and see what transfer dealings evolve before we start the "Jol out" stuff.......let the team take shape and see who comes in/leaves. Then the bragging/I told you so etc can really take effect. Keep The Faith/Believe...........give it time. 049:gif

JBH

Spot on we played monday and had double training sessions all week then played today pre season is all about fitness levels but I feel that we do need a new striker to come in this week
COYW

Lighthouse

Last season we were in need of the same things we are in need of this season. So pre season has taught us we have not improved the side other than with a loan signing from QPR and we have a defensive midfielder. So really it is not over reaction to the poor results but a reaction to the lack of shots, lack of players in the area and lack of complete passing.

It is a real worry that we did so poorly at the end of last season and yet have not improved our game plan or our attacking prowess. Next week the season starts. There are three weeksa until the end of the window. Our club let us down by poor business last season. This season they have done the same. The new owner may well have delayed things I don't know. But we look a side in need of a cutting edge AGAIN. We look a side that will struggle AGAIN.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CincyFulham1

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 11, 2013, 12:13:23 AM
Last season we were in need of the same things we are in need of this season. So pre season has taught us we have not improved the side other than with a loan signing from QPR and we have a defensive midfielder. So really it is not over reaction to the poor results but a reaction to the lack of shots, lack of players in the area and lack of complete passing.

It is a real worry that we did so poorly at the end of last season and yet have not improved our game plan or our attacking prowess. Next week the season starts. There are three weeksa until the end of the window. Our club let us down by poor business last season. This season they have done the same. The new owner may well have delayed things I don't know. But we look a side in need of a cutting edge AGAIN. We look a side that will struggle AGAIN.

+1

JIMMY D

I feel that we can't wait for 6 to 8 games into the season before we make changes. This is why you have preseason. Looks like a big waste of time and we are going into the season the same as last season.

Al

Well said canadian, too many preseason downers. As has been mentioned if after a couple of months things are not looking good then we can start to be concerned. Btw, what has happened with Sidwell, someone has released his shackles, must 3 goals in pre season.

Brown@FFC

Pre season downers? No, it's because of the lack of change of football from last year. We lack creativity and an out and out striker, something we need other wise we will not be having a good season. Gargano is not a creator, and at 5'6", he is very small. Get Bent and Granero/Chantome in, and the season will be vastly improved.

hongkongfulham

Berserker

Agree I'm depressed, but to be honest I'm a bit of a glass half empty person anyway. 
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Sammyffc

i understand why people slate ruiz , but for his tackling is just so poor. why would anyone want to go into a tackle which is unnessesary during pre season and risk injury ? however some fans can't seem to grasp this

BishopsParkFantastic

Only one conclusion really. Same as most of last season, Fulham's attacking game has insufficient creativity, pace and cutting edge. The Berba / Ruiz combination is not effective - we need a quick, strong goalscorer to play alongside Bera. I am sure Jol will be in the transfer market for a creative CM and goalscorer within the next few weeks. I'm not convinced he will be getting the new left back we need, or change the Berba / Ruiz combination......

F(f)CUK

The main concern that I took out of yesterday was how disorganised our defence looked. We ran out of steam and were forced back towards the end of the first half.

The second half just showed that you cannot play Rodders up front on his own.

Boateng was the big plus point.

Lighthouse

I keep reading fans say we need to give it a few weeks and for goodness sake these are only friendly matches. Why the depression.

Were any of these fans about last season? This isn't a sudden knee jerk reaction over a few pre season games but a long considered frustration spread over last season and seeing that with a week to go NOTHING MUCH HAS IMPROVED. We can't score goals because we don't have forwards and we have trouble defending as we are under pressure as we have nobody to hold the ball further up the pitch. I think the reaction is UNDER stated if anything.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ron

So, summing up; friendly matches are a meaningless exercise when we get beaten, and a sure pointer to solid progress when we win them.
It's the same on here every year!  

CincyFulham1

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 11, 2013, 10:36:13 AM
I keep reading fans say we need to give it a few weeks and for goodness sake these are only friendly matches. Why the depression.

Were any of these fans about last season? This isn't a sudden knee jerk reaction over a few pre season games but a long considered frustration spread over last season and seeing that with a week to go NOTHING MUCH HAS IMPROVED. We can't score goals because we don't have forwards and we have trouble defending as we are under pressure as we have nobody to hold the ball further up the pitch. I think the reaction is UNDER stated if anything.

+1

FTID

Dont forget, we drew with Bournemouth and Peterborough before reaching the Europa league final... stop worrying everything will work out