watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Expectations of a Manager

Started by TonyGilroy, August 28, 2013, 07:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamfever

If you asked me before kicking a ball at the start of the season would you take a Away win at Sunderland a home loss to Arsenal and a place in the 3rd Round of the Carling Cup I would say thats a good start. And to play a under pressure Newcastle at the weekend Yeah I would say its a heck of a start to the season and with 5 days of Transfer window to go lets see what it brings.

Brown@FFC

There are 3 things I want to see from Jol:

- Emotion. He doesn't do anything throughout the game, he just stands there. He is as dull as the football we are playing.
- Leadership. We clearly lack leadership on and off the pitch. Hangelands back heel wouldn't of been tolerated by Hodgson, and neither would Berbas sulking.
- Change of style. The football we are playing is a ineffective pile of rubbish. If it weren't for Taarabt, we would have never scored against Burton. Rodallega scored because we had 8 men in their box. Scrap the 'one up top' method and use two, otherwise, we will be having another long, rubbish, dull etc. season.

RaySmith

But it isn't just under Jol that we have done badly in Cup competitions at the hands of inferior opposition - and nor is our league form significantly worse on average - now our away form is better than its ever been in the Prem.

Hodgson is the only Fulham manager who hasn't faced vitriolic criticism and calls for him to be sacked - though sooner or later he probably would if he'd stayed.

I think we did very well last night to fight back in a game we had dominated, and been v lucky not to have scored more than the one, which enabled them to equalize, and take the initiative - but we should have been out of sight.

But well done to the players for battling back to win.

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on August 28, 2013, 11:07:22 AM
But it isn't just under Jol that we have done badly in Cup competitions at the hands of inferior opposition - and nor is our league form significantly worse on average - now our away form is better than its ever been in the Prem.

Hodgson is the only Fulham manager who hasn't faced vitriolic criticism and calls for him to be sacked - though sooner or later he probably would if he'd stayed.

I think we did very well last night to fight back in a game we had dominated, and been v lucky not to have scored more than the one, which enabled them to equalize, and take the initiative - but we should have been out of sight.

Our home record is worse

nose

The headlline [post starts well but it is so hard to draw conclusions from the comparisons in the manner it is done.

What you need from a manager is actually quite simple and is touched on in many of the foregoing posts.
But first he needs to get the team fit and committed.
Next he has to get the best from the squad he has available, choosing a system that suits and getting the team organised and disciplined.
If the squad isn't good enough he has to try and use his reserves/youth and/or bring in the best new players he can.

I think from day one Jol more or less underachieved on all of those.
The team patently has taleneted players but they look de motivated, they are certainly not properly organised, eg the shambles as we attempt to take an attacking deadball

We have lost five hiome games in a row without ever looking capable of getting a result and struggled to beat aBurton...... we won the penalty shoot out with a fluke of the highest magnitude...if you haven't seen ruiz's lamentable effort it is worth watching for a laugh!  Jol didn't realise what looked like 4 2 3 1 was never going to work against a disciplined burton and we needed to get some width to properly stretch them. 705 possesion means nothing if the ball never goes in the box. we were reduced to desperate long range efforts that woefully missed the target, the burton goalkeeper almost had a night off we were so ineffective.
It's not one game, it's the last in a long line of poor manager induced performances.
I confess i thought jol singularly underpormed at spurs wrestling 5th place from the jaws of a champions league spot through his, not the teams, failings. And i see nothing to have hiim endear me to us. in over two years we have certainly not yet seen an ounce of progress (a gram in metric).
He speaks well but doesn't manage to turn his words into action. he said he wanted youth and pace.... we are older and slower than ever.
Why did he have a go at stockdale before extra time? It was clear on the TV that is what happened and stockdale looked very shaken... and yet he saved us during the game and making the penalty save in the shoot out.

nose

Quote from: MJG on August 28, 2013, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on August 28, 2013, 11:07:22 AM

Our home record is worse

the record shows the last few games as five straight defeats

Holders

It's wrong to call Ruiz's penalty lamentable. If it had been half an inch to the left it would have been perfect.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamfever

I dont like the way people point the finger at Jol.

Starting 11

David Stockdale (Played Well and pulled off a really good save)

John Arne Riise (Champions League, FA Cup, Uefa Cup, League Cup Winner)
Aaron Hughes (Champions League Experienced, International, Experienced, Europa League Experienced Premier League Experienced Defender)
Brede Hangeland (Champions League Experienced, International, Experienced, Europa League Experienced Premier League Experienced Defender)
Sascha Reither (Budesliga Winner, Champions League Experienced)
Adel Taraabt (Goal Scorer Excused played his part)
Scott Parker & Karagounis (Star Pairing no comment gave 100%)
Ashkan Dejagah (Lacked Match Fitness)
Bryan Ruiz (Lacked Match Fitness and was a passenger in 2nd half)
Darren Bent (Tireless Running)

How on Earth with that line up is it Jol's fault someone explain.

nose

Quote from: Holders on August 28, 2013, 11:38:25 AM
It's wrong to call Ruiz's penalty lamentable. If it had been half an inch to the left it would have been perfect.

He missed from 12 yards and the goal was a fluke, the man could have cost us the tie! reither hit the post, he actually missed an open goal, it's a miss. It only counts if it crosses the line, ruiz 'missed' the target no ifs no buts, he missed.
All 5 burton players hit the target, only four of our players did the same! Ruiz scored with the fluke of the century.

fulhamfever

Quote from: nose on August 28, 2013, 11:43:00 AM
Quote from: Holders on August 28, 2013, 11:38:25 AM

He missed from 12 yards and the goal was a fluke, the man could have cost us the tie! reither hit the post, he actually missed an open goal, it's a miss. It only counts if it crosses the line, ruiz 'missed' the target no ifs no buts, he missed.
All 5 burton players hit the target, only four of our players did the same! Ruiz scored with the fluke of the century.

Get over it we are through. Regardless watch us be one of the names come out of the Capital One Cup Hat

Lighthouse

Quote from: fulhamfever on August 28, 2013, 11:41:20 AM

Starting 11

Aaron Hughes (Champions League Experienced, International, Experienced, Europa League Experienced Premier League Experienced Defender)
Brede Hangeland (Champions League Experienced, International, Experienced, Europa League Experienced Premier League Experienced Defender)

A good team with good players. Sadly only one forward. Midfield only one supported the forward with Ruiz playing very deep at times.Tactics seemed odd against a second division team defending for seventy minutes. Line up fine, Tactics again poor.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

Starting 11

Poor tactics, didn't change tactics when burton were sitting back. Team too old, too slow, team not motivated or even organised proerly. the formation was wrong.
they players do as he says or are dropped he doesn't accept the players input at all, he is authoritarian.
We din't play with wingers when we needed to stretch the play, kaka and dejagah should have played wide, briggs should have started rodders should have started.... i can go on but that is enough to start with

by the way jol has previously been very poor tactically. oh and he kept ruiz, who is match fit, on the pitch which was a crime, he hadn't played before because cause he was apparently tired from a long journey on international duty, ruiz played the whole pre season

The Equalizer

Starting 11

Er:
-tactics/strategy.
-formation.
-team motivation.
-team selection.
-free-kick/corner/throw-in takers.
-training.

As someone said in another post: you could have the 1970 Brazil World Cup squad and still lose if it's not managed properly.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

TonyGilroy

To read some of the comments Jol is clearly the world's most incompetent manager. There's a long list of the things he can't do and the things he does do he does badly.

Yet, taken as a whole, the results have been OK. Not great but OK and in response I'll be reminded of all the bad results whilst completely ignoring those where we've actually won some points. Enough to finish mid table which is er OK.

Lighthouse

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 28, 2013, 12:01:04 PM

To read some of the comments Jol is clearly the world's most incompetent manager. There's a long list of the things he can't do and the things he does do he does badly.

Yet, taken as a whole, the results have been OK. Not great but OK and in response I'll be reminded of all the bad results whilst completely ignoring those where we've actually won some points. Enough to finish mid table which is er OK.

But it isn't just about results. We have a good side. Better than under Roy. Yes Roy had a rather dull way of making his side play but they all knew what to do and were very good at it. Jol has a better side especially now. I hope we can use the players to actually play better. We have the players to dominate last night but a simple tactic of only one up made us have to dribble and shoot from outside the area. I just want to be entertained by a Fulham side that wants to win. I can forgive the Arsenal game. But the Sunderland game was dire even if we did win. So was the Burton game. We need to look as if we want to win games. We have the players to try. So let's try.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Starting 11

He signed 8 of them

fulhamfever

Quote from: MJG on August 28, 2013, 12:16:05 PM

Starting 11

He signed 8 of them

I respect that but we still got through. Stop complaining. QPR lost at home to Swindon HARRY OUT.

MJG

Quote from: fulhamfever on August 28, 2013, 12:17:50 PM
Quote from: MJG on August 28, 2013, 12:16:05 PM

Starting 11

He signed 8 of them

I respect that but we still got through. Stop complaining. QPR lost at home to Swindon HARRY OUT.
I dont give a toss about QPR or Harry. Where did I complain...the question was
'How on Earth with that line up is it Jol's fault someone explain'
I answered the question.

cmg

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 28, 2013, 11:51:57 AM

As someone said in another post: you could have the 1970 Brazil World Cup squad and still lose if it's not managed properly.

Dunno about that. I reckon you'd be pretty hard pushed to screw that one up.

"OK lads, this is the match ball. Make sure our keeper and centre-half don't get too near it. See you after. I'll put the champagne on ice......Oh, and Gerson dog that cig before you shake hands with the President, please."

nose

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2013, 12:13:05 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 28, 2013, 12:01:04 PM

But it isn't just about results. We have a good side. Better than under Roy. Yes Roy had a rather dull way of making his side play but they all knew what to do and were very good at it. Jol has a better side especially now. I hope we can use the players to actually play better. We have the players to dominate last night but a simple tactic of only one up made us have to dribble and shoot from outside the area. I just want to be entertained by a Fulham side that wants to win. I can forgive the Arsenal game. But the Sunderland game was dire even if we did win. So was the Burton game. We need to look as if we want to win games. We have the players to try. So let's try.

very well put mr. lighthouse!