watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Parker and Johnny Haynes

Started by Fulham1959, August 28, 2013, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham1959

Watching the match at Burton last night, and watching Scott Parker (and the way everything went through him), I was unconsciously reminded of Johnny Haynes.

If I remember correctly, Haynes used to pirouette in a similar way to SP but his doing so was not greeted with the disdain already seen on this messageboard.  SP was spraying passes all over the place, too.

It's very early days and I am NOT, repeat NOT, repeat again NOT, saying SP is another Haynes but there are certainly elements in his game reminiscent of our great captain of yore.  Just imagine what Haynes would have been like on the perfect pitches of today !!

Incidentally, it's easy to have rose-tinted glasses when remembering great players of yesteryear.  A few years back I bought and watched the complete video of the 1953 'Matthews Cup Final'.  My overall assessment was that he had a no-better-than-average game !  I saw Matthews many times when he returned to Stoke aged 46 in October (?) 1961.  Those were good times for Stoke City.  Johnny Haynes played at wing-half, if I recall correctly, in Stan's testimonial match which would have been in 1965.

Nostalgia's not what it used to be . . .

RaySmith

He does look somewhat like Haynes - his build and the way he runs, and he is a good passer of the ball.

Some have criticised Parker for  running all over the pitch following the ball, but his dynamism is refreshing, and his desire to get the ball and carry it forward into the box, seems something we lacked before.If he gets caught out of position defensively, someone should be available to cover for him.

It's true we probably have rose tinted glasses re players of the past- I'm sure Haynes had off days, and another current Fulham player he reminds me of is Berba - the shoulders would slump, and abuse might be shouted,when one of his inch perfect long, crossfield passes to Tosh or another mortal, was wasted.

I have a distinct memory of seeing Mathews at Stamford Bridge on his return to Stoke, but not at Fulham for some reason - mean  I don't remember seeing him play there, not that he didn't.

jmh

Quote from: RaySmith on August 28, 2013, 03:47:53 PM
If he gets caught out of position defensively, someone should be available to cover for him.
Of course, it's his job to be in position defensively.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jmh on August 28, 2013, 04:42:13 PM
If he gets caught out of position defensively, someone should be available to cover for him.
If he's been brought in to be a holding midfielder then that was a poor signing. He's l
like an upgraded Steve Sidwell.

Fulham1959

Thanks, Ray, for your measured and empathetic reply.  Yes, Haynes did have his off-days !

Though a Fulham fan from afar since 1959 (and for no logical reason) I watched the majority of Stoke's home games (and a few aways) in their promotion season of 1962/63.  Chelsea and Stoke were the great rivals for the Division 2 title that season.  As a goalkeeper-watcher I was spellbound by Peter Bonetti's performance at the Victoria Ground and Stoke's goalkeeper Jimmy O'Neil formerly of Everton (and briefly Eire) was also my hero.

Stan Matthews ran from the halfway line to score a rare goal in the final home match against Luton.  In his younger playing days in the 1930s he was, I believe, much more of a goal scorer.

JackyFulham90

Quote from: The Moose on August 28, 2013, 04:52:20 PM
Quote from: jmh on August 28, 2013, 04:42:13 PM
If he's been brought in to be a holding midfielder then that was a poor signing. He's l
like an upgraded Steve Sidwell.

That's why a Enoh or Boateng should be next to him

JackyFulham90

Really like Parker though will make a difference for us for sure

HatterDon

I think that Parker may be very good for us this season, but comparing him to Haynes only embarrasses both of them.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

sipwell

Quote from: HatterDon on August 29, 2013, 03:54:38 AM
I think that Parker may be very good for us this season, but comparing him to Haynes only embarrasses both of them.

So, by definition, comparison is impossible, in any case, anywhere? You can't compare presidents, you can't compare footballers, you can't compare anyone...

Fulham1959 - although clearly saying he is not another Haynes - is reminded of Haynes when he sees Parker do some actions. Can't see what is wrong with that. ;-)

I like Parker a lot. I don't get it why he is slated on this board. Truly don't get it.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Beamer

Certainly the Brylcreem (or current product version) hairstyle is similar. Not sure about the pirouette though Haynes was more a drop of the shoulder and send the marker the wrong way.

TonyGilroy

The game changes but Parker and Murphy before him are performing the same role in the team as Haynes. Everything goes through them and they do the team's thinking.

On pitch personality wise Berbatov is VERY Haynesesque.

cmg

I haven't seen any evidence of people slating Parker since his arrival.

Neither was it said that it was impossible to compare him to Haynes. Merely, that to do so, at least in footballing terms, would be an embarrasement to both. I would agree with this.

I was against the signing of Parker before the event, but I have been delighted with him since he has been here. He was, for a number of seasons, one of the best players of his type in the PL and if he recaptures the form he seemed to have lost last season then we will have a very valuable player and a bargain purchase.

Physically there is some resemblance between the two and both could be said to occupy a similar position on the field. But there the similarity stops. It is tough drawing comparison over such a large passage of time and it is entirely possible that my memories (having seen plenty of both at their peak) take on a rosy tint with the passing years. I can only suggest those who did not have the pleasure (and privelege) of witnessing Haynes in action look out some of the grainy, b & w footage on Youtube of Haynes playing for England (There are some matches v Germany, Italy, Scotland, Spain and Russia) and ask the question - 'Could Scott Parker do any of that?'.

Parker is an industious worker, puts in a good defensive shift and uses the ball well.

Haynes always worked hard and wasn't a defensive liability but his real talents lay in the way he saw and controlled  the game and, obviously, in the fact that he was, arguably, the best passer in the history of the game (Pele and Beckenbauer thought so). He was also capable of scoring 20 goals a season, he had a lethal shot in both feet.

It's unfair on Parker to compare him with Haynes (except superficialy) and Haynes, who was well aware of his talent but engagingly modest, would also have been embarrassed.