more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greetngs from Burton

Started by jonesy038, August 28, 2013, 05:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesy038

Still a bit gutted about last night, just a few observations:-

When we draw a much bigger club I often have a look on forums etc to see what the other side make of it and historically have been met with the usual 'our under-15s side should beat them', 'they're rubbish, send the reserves and we'll still win 8-0' stuff.

Examples include Sheffield United (before we dumped them out of the first round of the league cup at Bramall Lane 2 years in a row, including this), Leicester (before we thumped their first team 4-2 away from home last season in the league cup), Middlesborough (before we knocked them out of the FA Cup) and even Man united (before we held them to a draw in the FA cup and got a replay).

There was a bit of that on here (although by no means everyone) and I did particularly last night have in mind Chris Hussey's counsin (our left sided player who caused you all manner of problems during the last twenty mins of normal time and extra time) who posts on here and when the draw was made said 'my cousin plays for Burton, they're dire'. Not only did we give you a hell of a game last night once we took the shackles off, Hussey was our MOM and was absolutely magnificent.

I think our tactics were clear - try and stay in it for 60-70 mins and then have a go. Admittedly the first hour was not pretty but when we decided to have a pop I don't think any reasonable supporter could deny we caused you problems, played some decent stuff and were a threat.

I guess Fulham more than most PL sides know what it's like to be the unfashionable lower league side and I am sure you probably took some stick from so called 'big clubs' back then. We fell pshort in the most painful fashion last night, but I do hope it perhaps changed one or two opinions about fourth division football. There are some damn good players and teams in league 2. Perhaps next time you draw a supposed Sunday League club like us, some (and again, I stress, not all) might take a different view?

All the best.

P.S Disappointed that Burton (and, I believe Fulham) legend (well, sort of!) Sean Farrell wasn't guest of honour!!!

Holders

When we were lower league we had a habit of beating teams from much higher up - yet would still only finish mid-table ourselves.

It'll be interesting to see where Burton finish this year and whether they can turn out similar performances in league fixtures in the the nitty-gritty of a Midlands winter.

Anyway, I wish you well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fulham1959

I genuinely enjoyed the roar that erupted when you took the lead (I was there) because we all know what that feeling is like, when playing a 'bigger' team.

We were somewhat fortunate to scrape our win last night

Deanothefulhamfan

Your a decent side in league 2 , but with the team we put out yesterday we should have performed to a higher standard. I was hoping Jol would field 1 or 2 of our exciiting younger players, but it didnt happen. You boys were really unlucky and almost took a premiership scalp which would have had serious financial benfefits for a league two side. All the best for the season

Lighthouse

You say your tactics were simple. You know it, we know it. Sadly our manager seemed to be bemused by them. All the best to you and next time we play I hope we actually try and attack instead of having long shots and the odd player finding himself in the area by accident.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

nose

burton played very well, very disciplined and very committed. very unlucky in the end.

Tomo

I'm the aforementioned Cousin of Chris and he played a blinder in all fairness you were not really in the game apart from the last 20-30 minutes we did not play well at all but I didn't think you played well either a real scrappy match but I'm glad Chris played a blinder and caused Riether to have a shocker!
"We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it." - Che Guevara

General

Firstly one thing i learnt a long time ago when we were in the old division two and what I still see supporting a premiership team now is that football, at the end of the day is 11 vs 11 and if up for it enough anything can happen.

So many factors influence players and their supposed ability.

All in all, what I care about is we win.

That said though, I'd rather get to the final through just winning and giving spectators a good game to watch in each game, then thrash minnows and get knocked out by a premiership club or whatever.

General

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2013, 05:50:29 PM
You say your tactics were simple. You know it, we know it. Sadly our manager seemed to be bemused by them. All the best to you and next time we play I hope we actually try and attack instead of having long shots and the odd player finding himself in the area by accident.

In fairness you can't really say the tactics were wrong if you're getting over 60% possession statistics can you... When it comes down to that, it's more down to the players ineptitude. Think it's only fair that you give the burton players credit where it's due.

MOR :

I'd been to a few Wimbledon games and don't remember him being that good but last night he was exceptional and certainly knows how to whip a cross in. Well done Chris Hussey. And what a lovely bunch of Burton Supporters we met last night as well. Good luck for the rest of the season Jonesy...

alfie

Mr L i just do not understand you sometimes, every week you moan moan moan about lack of shots, then when we do shoot you moan moan moan about having shots, long or short they are shots.

I often wonder if you say things just for effect.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

All credit to Burton - that was a real Cup battle last night, and we were  lucky to come out on top.

I have to admit that i was  very relieved when we  managed to finally beat you - i would have hated for us to lose, but then i felt sorry for the Burton supporters and players.

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on August 28, 2013, 06:53:06 PM

Mr L i just do not understand you sometimes, every week you moan moan moan about lack of shots, then when we do shoot you moan moan moan about having shots, long or short they are shots.

Let me explain. I like the shots. But we were playing a SECOND DIVISION SIDE who defended for 70 minutes. Should we have had had a few shots closer to the goal. I don't know would it have been a good idea to have more players in the area. It seems to me that if people really don't understand the concept of attacking a second divsion side then it isn't me with the problem. It really is a problem with how we see football.

Yes I know you have to throw in the insult about saying things for effect. But better people have tried to use insults when they have no arguments.

You keep on enjoying the football we play. I will keep on asking for more attacking football. Excuse me for not being all warm and happy because we had shots from outside the area against Burton.

Tomo

Quote from: MOR : on August 28, 2013, 06:08:52 PM
I'd been to a few Wimbledon games and don't remember him being that good but last night he was exceptional and certainly knows how to whip a cross in. Well done Chris Hussey. And what a lovely bunch of Burton Supporters we met last night as well. Good luck for the rest of the season Jonesy...

Always been a good footballer since his Windsor days, also he's local born a stones throw from loftus road and supports Chelsea so lets not give him so many well wishes haha!
"We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it." - Che Guevara

horse1031

Well done last night Burton.  It is funny how you could feel the equalizer coming and then finally you guys taking the lead.  It is the thing I like most about football...  the less talented teams can always come out on top and this is why the cups are so much fun.  I think it felt like Fulham didn't have the swagger or confidence to really take it to Burton and we really struggled.  The left mid was running at defenders and whipping crosses in the whole second half.  Just a weird game all around... lots of emotions especially when Hugo scored with 2 minutes left.  Funny to think we could go to St. James and win big this weekend... that would be Fulhamish.

BTW, i dont think Fulham played terrible all around.  The thing that worried me the most was our defenders were ALL over the place.  Riise lacked confidence and Reither was down by our goal half the time so we had 3 guarding the back.  Throw in our attackers not attacking and content to probe and there you have it.  We needed speed and numbers but we didnt have either.

sunburywhite

I was watching on the net last night and I thought our supporters were fantastic in the noise they were making

Well done lads
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

EJL

I once took part in a Coerver session where Chris Hussey was one of the coaches. Seemed like a nice guy and said that if I could hit the crossbar from the halfway line he'd get me a trial at AFC Wimbledon (I didn't hit the crossbar).

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2013, 08:00:38 PM

Let me explain. I like the shots. But we were playing a SECOND DIVISION SIDE who defended for 70 minutes. Should we have had had a few shots closer to the goal. I don't know would it have been a good idea to have more players in the area. It seems to me that if people really don't understand the concept of attacking a second divsion side then it isn't me with the problem. It really is a problem with how we see football.

Yes I know you have to throw in the insult about saying things for effect. But better people have tried to use insults when they have no arguments.

You keep on enjoying the football we play. I will keep on asking for more attacking football. Excuse me for not being all warm and happy because we had shots from outside the area against Burton.
Mr L it was not meant as an insult but sometimes it seems you say things that seem a bit odd as i said you have complained a lot about not having shots in the game, so we have a player that likes to have a shot at goal and then you have complained because someone has not had shots in the way you want them, fair enough your opinion.

MY apologies if you feel i insultated you, and you have got one back on me, but Just out of curiosity as you do not know me from Adam, who are these "better people"?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on August 29, 2013, 08:13:59 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 28, 2013, 08:00:38 PM

Mr L it was not meant as an insult but sometimes it seems you say things that seem a bit odd as i said you have complained a lot about not having shots in the game, so we have a player that likes to have a shot at goal and then you have complained because someone has not had shots in the way you want them, fair enough your opinion.

MY apologies if you feel i insultated you, and you have got one back on me, but Just out of curiosity as you do not know me from Adam, who are these "better people"?

If you cannot understand the difference between shots  from outside the area and chances from inside the area, or playing Sunderland compared to Burton Albion. Then the 'better people' who have insulted me are the people who DO understand. If you don't understand that 'saying things for effect' was nothing less than insulting. Then your understanding is beyond me. Neither of us are going to convince the other that the football we want to watch is better than the other. So enjoy Fulham as they are. Hope they do well at Newcastle. Just chances created from anywhere against a Prem side, away from home, would be good to watch.

Rupert

Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.