watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Reply from Club regarding new TV gantry/eyesore/obstacle

Started by HammyH3, August 28, 2013, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

The filth have lost 218 seats for the camera there, well the bigger grounds can afford it when they cannot sell out each match, the way this has been handled just shows the contempt the clubs have for the fans, I was told when I worked at Wimbledon tennis ground by a corporate manager that they would make more money if they didn't have to let fans in to watch games, is that the way football wants to go? seems like it

Holders

"Sarah Palin could have figured it out in less than a month".

Priceless!

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

LBNo11

...with thanks to The Doctor for the link, it certainly warrants replication here:-

By Henry Winter6:45AM BST 27 Aug 2013

"The joy of such enthusiastically delivered news might be lost on some of those fans actually present. Sixty season ticketholders have been moved from their favoured habitat.
This new £3 billion Premier League television deal comes at a cost for the match goer. Caring clubs are seeking to accommodate them in other parts of the stadium but fans are creatures of habit, wanting the same familiar routes, gangways, characters, seats, neighbours. It is like breaking up a good party, or even family.

Television grows ever more powerful and demanding. More games are being screened in more countries with more cameras, some of them of the bulky, space-commanding 3D variety. Fulham fans, one of the country's more sanguine breeds, angrily tweeted pictures of the raised camera obscuring the view of between 10-20 of them. Fulham being Fulham, a club invariably solicitous of their fans' welfare, are working hard to sort out the problem and minimise disruptions.

At the Emirates, approximately 30 seats have been removed for cameras, even eight in the directors' box. Arsenal say that "there will be more affected with restricted view, which will only become clear after our first live match [on Sunday against Spurs] – and we do have plans to offer discounts on these impacted seats".

Liverpool have moved groups of supporters. Chelsea have lost 218 seats due to the new media rules and also built a second television studio inside the Bridge.

Such are the demands of TV that a designated player is interviewed when stepping off the bus pre-match. A Premier League match-day manager now patrols backstage, looking after the foreign rights holders at every game.

Those peering round cameras or becoming accustomed to new vantage points can at least console themselves that their clubs will have more money to spend on players and facilities. When they get home, and review the game on television, checking on bits they have missed because of obscured views, the quality will be even more enhanced.

Yet there is an understandable frustration among fans. Even some clubs feel the new demands are excessive while others say they need the increased revenue at a time of Financial Fair Play and inflated wages. It was interesting to note a Fulham spokesperson refer to broadcast regulations "imposed" by the Premier League. Clubs take the money, loving Richard Scudamore's brilliance as a negotiator with broadcasters, but there are limits. They object to their fans being pushed around.
Broadcasters, meanwhile, insist they do not choose the location of cameras. It is down to the Premier League promising ever more access during negotiations (the cameras will be in dressing rooms within three years).
The introduction of the manager-cam, the bane of some Fulham fans' lives, reflects the Premier League's obsession with football as soap opera, with every star, on-field or dugout, being filmed closely.

So it is worth reminding Scudamore of his words about supporters on the eve of the season. The Premier League's chief executive was discussing various issues when mention was made of whether he would risk another shot at the 39th game, milking worldwide interest. This would enrage local fans but would be boxoffice gold.

"I do have a hierarchy,'' replied Scudamore of his view on supporters. "The attending fan is our most important fan. We want the stadium full. That's where the clubs are rooted in their community.''
But the supporter in Hong Kong, Melbourne, Miami and Johannesburg was clearly in the forefront of his mind. "Is there a way of making the experience better for the international fan?'' Scudamore reflected.
"Technology will probably do that for them. Huge screen TVs, super HD, immersion technology with people recreating that stadium experience digitally in their own environment. It's much easier to do that than haul teams around the world.''

So no 39th game but to make the show more appealing in Shanghai, a few obstructions have to be placed in the sightlines of the fan at the match.

Scudamore needs to remember his tenet that "the attending fan is our most important fan". One of the main reasons why broadcasters pay the Premier League piper so handsomely and get to call the match-day tunes is because their audiences are enthralled by the atmosphere.
Viewers watching the drama at Cardiff City Stadium tweeted their admiration of the noise, the passion of the fans as well as the extraordinary events on the pitch in the second half. Scudamore's organisation must never forget that "the attending fan'' helps make the spectacle even more special for the viewing fan.

Slightly arrogantly, the Premier League traditionally retreats behind its defence of high occupancy rates in grounds. Last season's 95.3 per cent was the highest yet. Even with ticket prices excessive at many clubs, and even in a recession, fans keep flocking to the best sporting show in town. But away followings have dipped and could decline further.

It is hard to remember a Premier League season when fans were faced with such long travels north, south, east and west; clubs from Newcastle United to Southampton, Norwich to Swansea. If away numbers continue to ebb, atmospheres will be affected.

The Football Supporters' Federation has a good campaign, 20sPlenty, calling for a maximum £20 on away tickets. Stoke City, under an enlightened chairman in Peter Coates, run free coaches to away games. Others should follow suit. Some supporters quietly accept the new cameras, the rising ticket prices. Others protest.

After a survey of fans, the Chelsea Supporters Trust want to open a dialogue with the board, having concluded "the current price of tickets to be a barrier to the involvement and enjoyment of following Chelsea on several different levels: particularly the ageing demographic of current support and the lack of atmosphere.

There is concern that the club is sacrificing longevity for short-term gain. With the emergence of fans brought up with watching matches on TV, attending games will become a one-off occasion rather than a habit. Additionally, supporters are reaching breaking point concerning the prices for many away games. Atmosphere at home continues to be a major concern for supporters.
These are sensible fans. So are the Fulham ones annoyed by the television invasion. Premier League please take note".
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

epsomraver

KiwiFulham

Pretty sure you could sue the club for derogation from grant. They try and exclude themselves from any loss or damage in their T&Cs but seems to me to be a material breach of contract. If you had of known about the installation prior to with reasonable notice then you presumably could have even put the club on notice and sought interim relief in the form of an injunction. I'd be right royally fired up if this affected my season ticket/view!

FC Silver Fox

If someone has a seat close by, can they please unplug the camera every 10 minutes. That should help them get the message of what the fans think.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Lighthouse

Sure this has been suggested. But might fans not organise themselves and visit as many BT Sports fans as they can and sit in front of the tv blocking the view from the armchair.

' Sorry if you are upset by my position but it's a  better view than going to the ground now'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Muz

Although the camera is in front of the press box , they don't care as they have monitors to watch.

jarv

I have not read all the comments but I once had a problem which required a mob handed response. Set out some days and eveyone should call that number, ALL DAY LONG. Find some other numbers (the ticket office for example) and call them ALL DAY LONG. That will screw up ticket sales, get the message across by jamming the phone lines. If everyone makes say 10-20 calls that should do it.
At the same time, EMAIL the crap out of them. They will be busy boys (and girls).

It worked for me.

The Doctor

Couldn't agree more, Jarv.  I've no problem with people sounding off on here (and other boards, and FB), but it'll be even more effective if you contact the club as well.  They have to at least process your email/letter/phone call and that takes time.  If enough folks do it, the point will be made that they need to do something to resolve the situation.  Which, to be fair, the response I got indicated is happening.

Well worth letting the PL know of your displeasure as well: http://www.premierleague.com/content/premierleague/en-gb/contact-us.html

The club have set a self-imposed deadline of the WBA game to try and resolve things.  If progress by then is not satisfactory, then ramp up the protest with things like your "denial of service" suggestion.  I had a vague thought last night about using the notepads the club gave us with our ST packs to register displeasure.  If a few thousand drop those into the little ballot boxes at every game until a resolution is found then that should also take up time (someone in the marketing department has to sift through all those to find stuff to use for the website).

jarv

I have just seen the photo on Friday Fulham stuff. It is outrageous. Totally UNACCEPTABLE. Start the phone calls next week, everyone. I will even call from America.

LBNo11

...one of our members (thanks Jackie) kindly sent the e-mail that they received on Thursday, August the 2nd 2013 at 5: 40 PM - just 19 hours prior to the home game !!!

"Dear Supporter,

Ahead of our opening home match of the season, we're writing to advise of some changes to our broadcast set-up that may affect your seat in the Johnny Haynes Stand.

As you may be aware, the Premier League recently announced enhanced media guidelines that offer greater access to broadcasters, plus a wider range of TV camera positions.

These changes are mandatory at all Premier League stadia and we have worked hard to minimise any disruption to our fans. However, in order to meet specifications, in the past week we have been required to add a new camera platform towards the rear of Block FL.

This new position is permanent and will be used for the first time by broadcasters at our match on Saturday.

We hope not too many seats will be adversely affected, but if you do have any concerns following the Arsenal game, please contact us using the details listed below.  We will use your feedback to help keep future restrictions to a minimum and where necessary will put you in contact with our Ticket Office team, who can discuss seating options in more depth.

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0843 208 1222 (option 4)

Thanks for your continued support.

Fulham Football Club"

jarv

LB, the supporters afffected by it I presume will all call/email but I think that a bit of solidarity is required to support fellow supporters. As I just said, lots of us should call on the same day to voice our feelings about the treatment.
Which day is it then? Must be before the next home game.

jarv

Alternatively, all you folks near it. Take some eggs to the next home game. Ever seen what a raw egg does when it sticks to something? :005:

LBNo11

Quote from: jarv on August 30, 2013, 01:07:03 PM
LB, the supporters afffected by it I presume will all call/email but I think that a bit of solidarity is required to support fellow supporters. As I just said, lots of us should call on the same day to voice our feelings about the treatment.
Which day is it then? Must be before the next home game.

...I agree that we should support our fellow supporter jarv, however, we shouldn't target the ticket office as that will cause disruption for fellow fans also. There are other numbers that you can call to show disapproval though.

I'm amazed that so many seem apathetic to the plight of their fellow fans, but who would bleat like stuck pigs if such a thing was placed in front of them with no recourse for objection. For many in the stands - especially those who are season ticket holders - those seats are special places where they and possibly generations of their family has sat in the same place in their support for Fulham FC - and now Fulham FC show their support of those same fans by trying to hide the dirt under the carpet...

Peabody

It is obvious that the club are lookin to keep the camera in place and relocating those affected. If I was affected, I would want to seek some legal advice, because, surely the club is in breach of contract with those affected.

epsomraver

You will find somewhere in the small small print that the club reserve the right to move you, change things without redress if you look hard enough,however  there should be a plan of action as suggested on here but coordinated so it has maximum effect

LBNo11

...and I'm sure the premier league would relish feedback as they are the main reason for this situation, say a very long message with lots of copy and pasted articles expressing displeasure:-

http://www.premierleague.com/content/premierleague/en-gb/contact-us.html

Or on their facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/premierleague

Of course they don't display a telephone number...

ron

Quote from: jarv on August 30, 2013, 12:58:05 PM
I have just seen the photo on Friday Fulham stuff. It is outrageous. Totally UNACCEPTABLE. Start the phone calls next week, everyone. I will even call from America.

Just had a butcher's there myself, and just like you am totally appalled at the contempt that has been shown to the ST holders and others involved who in good faith parted with their cash.

Some other poster said that my saying "Shame on the club" was "BS".

Seeing that monstrosity...Shame on the club, shame on the PL, Shame on Sky etc. for their greed and indifference.

The only B******t here is when we are told that Skymegacash improves sport for the true fan.