News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Zamora, Bullard, Boa, Steed, Saha, Davis - should they have left?

Started by Jimpav, September 10, 2013, 10:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Apart from Saha I would say no.

Brown@FFC

Zamora- £5m. Bullard- £5m. Boa Morte- £5m. Malbranque- Spurs. Saha- United. I'm guessing you mean Sean Davis- Spurs. You can't argue with that.

MJG

Andy S

Did they have a good career after they left? in the majority of cases the answer is no. But as far as should they have left the answer is yes as they had clearly passed their best and Bullard was never going to be able to play at the top level again as Hull found out. Saha had a couple of good years but struggled with injury But we had the best and got good money from them when they went.

CorkCity

I still cant understand why we sold Jimmy Conway to Man City
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Jimpav

Quote from: MJG on September 10, 2013, 11:09:33 AM
Are you looking it from their pov or from the club?

Either or but I think the club has got the best deal in most cases.

@Brown, yep Sean Davis.

frei bentos

MJG

Zamora..Big pay day for him and good deal to get rid of a disruptive influence in the dressing room.
Bullard..bet he wished he had stayed but the club again got a good deal.
Boa..Great deal for the club and it was time to move on.he may have wanted to stay looking back but he was losing it.
Saha..Cant turn down Utd and we got a lot of money so right decision for both.
Davis..again, its a bigger club, more money, but should have stayed as he was never quite that good enough for that level of team.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: CorkCity on September 10, 2013, 11:10:01 AM
I still cant understand why we sold Jimmy Conway to Man City
They were 1st division, we had only just got promoted into the 2nd. I think we needed the money as well , from what I remember he was not cheap though he was probably worth more to us. But again it never really worked for him there.

cottage cheese

Most of ex players have failed because quite frankly they no longer were the big fish.

We created teams around the likes of Steed, Dempsey,Davis,Saha etc. I think it seems like they failed (apart from saha) because they failed to have a big impact at their next club. I believe its because we built teams round them and they were the star/go to guys every game for us. I mean Dempsey's last season he basically was given the ball at any opportunity and likewise for Steed and Davis.

Boa and Bullard going was good for us as we got good money and they were slowly declining. 

Burt

The consistent thing is that they probably had their best years playing for us.

DukeTyrion

I think Boa didn't want to leave, but the club painted him into a bit of a corner.

He had taken the Captains armband and it wasn't suiting him, so his game started to go south. Made it very difficult for him to hand back the armband, but stay at the club, so he ended up moving on.

Vinnieffc

I agree with cottage cheese's assessment. None of them exactly set the world on fire after leaving - in fact they went downhill. So from a players POV they were wrong to leave. From the clubs perspective, why keep a player who doesn't want to play for you, especially if you can rein in a few bob for them. So to me the answer was it right to leave ? From the clubs perspective it's a enormous YES.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: DukeTyrion on September 10, 2013, 03:07:34 PM
I think Boa didn't want to leave, but the club painted him into a bit of a corner.

He had taken the Captains armband and it wasn't suiting him, so his game started to go south. Made it very difficult for him to hand back the armband, but stay at the club, so he ended up moving on.

The 'captain' effect has happened to Hangeland. For the sake of the team, I still believe Parker should be captain.

Fulham76

Strip Zamora out, (i'm sure some will disagree but i've never been a fan), & you've genuinely got some top players on that list. And all without paying a fortune.
What has happened to our scouting?

grandad

We got unbelievable money for these players. If you add Smalling who I would rather have kept & EVDS who I would also rather have kept  we got huge money which a club like ours couldn´t turn down.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fulham76

Quote from: grandad on September 10, 2013, 06:25:01 PM
We got unbelievable money for these players. If you add Smalling who I would rather have kept & EVDS who I would also rather have kept  we got huge money which a club like ours couldn´t turn down.

True. So what's happened to our scouting system???

Buffalo76

Quote from: Fulham76 on September 10, 2013, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: grandad on September 10, 2013, 06:25:01 PM
We got unbelievable money for these players. If you add Smalling who I would rather have kept & EVDS who I would also rather have kept  we got huge money which a club like ours couldn´t turn down.

True. So what's happened to our scouting system???

I wonder myself sometimes.

Jimpav

Quote from: Fulham76 on September 10, 2013, 06:07:35 PM
Strip Zamora out, (i'm sure some will disagree but i've never been a fan), & you've genuinely got some top players on that list. And all without paying a fortune.
What has happened to our scouting?

I'm one that will disagree. Zamora had a rotten attitude but was an excellent player and was the driving force behind our Europa campaign. If he had been as charismatic as Mcbride and had the temperament of Brede he would have been remembered in a much better light.