watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why should Jol stay?

Started by Brown@FFC, September 16, 2013, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btings

Personally, I think the joke is a bit weak, but the change was reverted with the comment "We don't do trivia sections any more, which makes me laugh because it means the editor missed the humor completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Jol&diff=573251657&oldid=573230855

sumofallparts

Doesn't an over 34% win ratio with FFC stick out?

Surely this answers the people who question the critics?

EJL

Shouldn't be editing Wikipedia pages, Mr Brown.

Brown@FFC

Quote from: EJL on September 17, 2013, 10:44:04 AM
Shouldn't be editing Wikipedia pages, Mr Brown.

No lie, it wasn't me.

Logicalman

Quote from: sumofallparts on September 17, 2013, 09:57:02 AM
Doesn't an over 34% win ratio with FFC stick out?

Surely this answers the people who question the critics?

Or in perspective perhaps?

Arsène Wenger 57.08
Brendan Rodgers 49.15
Sam Allardyce 42.86
Alan Pardew 37.60
Michael Laudrup 36.36
Paul Lambert 35.29
Steve Clarke 34.09
Chris Hughton 32.65
---------------------------
Paolo Di Canio 25.00
Mauricio Pochettino 28.57

sumofallparts

Good post.

I actually have no issue with losing, if the manager uses his tactics properly, the players run their legs off and the football is of a high quality and is entertaining to watch.

We have too many bad tactical decisions, too many lazy players and dull, tedious football a lot (not all) of the time.

Messrs Lambert and Laudrup may be similar in % terms but their teams are exciting to watch and play well.

Burt

Why should he stay?
- To prove his doubters wrong.
- To show he can succeed without all the resources he is used to having at the bigger clubs he has worked for.
- To finish what he has started.
- It is not good to change horses halfway around the track. Particularly when there aren't many viable alternative horses to change to.
- We have the makings of a good team. He just needs to pull it all together.

In recent times, as every match goes by, I stray closer to the Jol Out camp because what we get served up on the pitch isn't good enough. Particularly given the quality we do have out there. I watched the Swansea v. Liverpool match yesterday and just wished that we could play with the same energy, commitment and positivity that the Swans showed in the second half. With our players, we have the potential.

I would love Jol to turn things around and turn that potential in to reality... That's the main reason he should stay.

nose

I am very impressed (honest) by the reasoned argument put in favour of Jol. Most of the comments above seem to be extremely well made and have much validity.

sumofallparts

But he has had 2 years to turn the potential into reality.....
How long is too long?
Not a dig Burt, just playing devils advocate :P

Logicalman

Quote from: sumofallparts on September 17, 2013, 12:52:52 PM
But he has had 2 years to turn the potential into reality.....
How long is too long?
Not a dig Burt, just playing devils advocate :P

I think you have hit on a contentious item in that list - Potential.

What is our potential? Is it a Europa place finish? With the current squad? With the current squad and manager? With a change to the squad?

Many of Jols detractors will point to achievements of the past, with a different squad. Some blame Jol for Dempsey leaving, but who do they blame for Dempsey leaving Spuds? It may be relevant to see that AVB has a 53.33 win rate.

A manager makes his own team, and if that team does not perform, then it is either the manager picking the wrong players, the managers tactics or something else with the manager, that's a simple fact, but, as most of us know, nothing is really THAT simple in football management.

Jol is where the buck stops, but what really is Fulhams potential?

Kentish Gent

You have to give the guy at least 10 games this season before you decide whether he should go or not. And whatever you decide, it's irrelevant - there's a certain geezer with a luxuriant 'tache that will make the decision for you. Personally, I think it's all going to turn out fine. But then I can remember saying the same thing about Vic Buckingham!

Lighthouse

It comes down to a simple decision. One that has split many fans. Are fans happy with the Jol style of play? Or would they like a more positive one? We can go on about points won and being a small club that are not as big as any club in the Prem and there are no easy games. Or we can look at thirteen years in the Prem and think why are we acting like a scared inferior team.

It is not ten games to decide or talk of rebuilding and all the other comments. It is now entering the third season with Jol. Are we happy with his brand of football or not? This is where we are divided.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TonyGilroy

But ultimately it's a tedious discussion with everyone seemingly having an entrenched position.

I'd give him more time - you wouldn't. Neither of us is objectively right or wrong or capable of persuading the other.

Results and performances may or may not improve and Jol's tenure as manager will depend on that.