watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

THE STATUE IS GOING!!!

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, September 18, 2013, 11:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys Lightning 63

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2424724/Fulhams-Michael-Jackson-statue-history-Mohamed-Al-Fayed-set-remove-Craven-Cottage-eyesore.html

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

HatterDon

I'd be as excited as you if it wasn't the Daily Mail that published the story.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

I blame Ruiz.

Maybe Khan will gift it to Mo like Oliver Reed did that full-size concrete rhino to Ringo Starr? He airlifted it in one day by helicopter and deposited it by Starr's pond.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

If true, then I am disappointed. Not because I like Michael Jackson, the statue itself is awful and has no place at a football ground, but for all this people continue to have photos taken in front of it and it still causes a stir to people coming for the first time.

I think that it sums up Fulhamish.

Max Headroom

It makes me laugh every time I see it. So inappropriate but very quirky and yes very fulhamish! :)

Roberty

The most depressing thing about it is that the ITV have still not noticed that it is inside the ground.

The Michael Jackson statue outside Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium is set to be removed and returned to former owner Mohamed Al Fayed, according to The Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail - did not say if it was inside or out - typical standing on the fence!
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

sunburywhite

I want to keep it just to put two fingers up to everybody
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

The Old Count

If MAF wants it to stay, it should say.  If he's ok with it going fine.

WhiteJC

I think it should stay also, perhaps as one of the pylons for the new riverside walk?

Holders

Quote from: Rudolph on September 19, 2013, 09:47:23 AM
The statue has only been with us for this long because of Senderos.

No, it's Ruiz's fault.

Riverside

Reither Lightening I admire your restraint .

I was certain I was going to open up this Board this morning and see the Topic "MJ is going !!"

Forever Fulham

It's a marvelous reminder of MAF's eccentricity and power as then-singular owner.  A conversation piece.  It's out of place.  And that's what makes it worth keeping.  Sort of dada-istic.  Jackson is to Fulham as justice is to Yugoslavia.  Makes no sense at all.  That's the beauty of the thing.  Fayed stated Jackson came to a game at Fulham.  One game.  And because they apparently struck up a relationship of some sort, and because he liked Jackson's music so much, he erected a statute to him and put it INSIDE the grounds.  None if makes any real sense.  But he was old  and owned everything, paid all the bills, so he got to indulge in a little strange behavior.  Frankly, he was a bit of a fabulist, a story teller.  But he had/has a sharp mind and didn't overindulge in such whimsies, so I feel it is incumbent upon us to recognize the many contributions he made to the club, and laugh off any criticism of the statute.  It's part of the Club now, its history.  Don't remove it.

Pluto

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 19, 2013, 12:35:49 PM
It's a marvelous reminder of MAF's eccentricity and power as then-singular owner.  A conversation piece.  It's out of place.  And that's what makes it worth keeping.  Sort of dada-istic.  Jackson is to Fulham as justice is to Yugoslavia.  Makes no sense at all.  That's the beauty of the thing.  Fayed stated Jackson came to a game at Fulham.  One game.  And because they apparently struck up a relationship of some sort, and because he liked Jackson's music so much, he erected a statute to him and put it INSIDE the grounds.  None if makes any real sense.  But he was old  and owned everything, paid all the bills, so he got to indulge in a little strange behavior.  Frankly, he was a bit of a fabulist, a story teller.  But he had/has a sharp mind and didn't overindulge in such whimsies, so I feel it is incumbent upon us to recognize the many contributions he made to the club, and laugh off any criticism of the statute.  It's part of the Club now, its history.  Don't remove it.

:plus one:

I completely agree. Though I hated it at first, I would be sad to see it go- it's a nice reminder of Al Fayed and all he did for the club. Plus it's quirky and interesting, if a bit bizarre, and adds some character to that part of the ground.

Vinnieffc

OMG. I never thought I'd say this, but I've been swayed by the pro-statue lobby on here.. I have always hated it, but has been said it's part of the Fulham fabric now and it does accentuate what makes this club so special. Whimsical, quirky, different. Let it be said, it's still crap, but it's part of Mo's legacy and should stay. Cheers Mo  049:gif

Big Martin Jol

I'm actually slightly upset.

Gone tooooo soooooooon.  :HD:
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Dragoman

Quote from: Roberty on September 19, 2013, 09:13:25 AM
The most depressing thing about it is that the ITV have still not noticed that it is inside the ground.

The Michael Jackson statue outside Fulham's Craven Cottage stadium is set to be removed and returned to former owner Mohamed Al Fayed, according to The Daily Mail.

The Daily Mail - did not say if it was inside or out - typical standing on the fence!

Wouldn't it be Fulhamish if the statue of Johnny Haynes was removed by mistake?

Buffalo76

Quote from: Dragoman on September 19, 2013, 05:15:42 PM

Now that's a statue to be proud of. Long may Our Johnny be around. Good riddance to that MJ joke.

Drama Queen

Quote from: Buffalo76 on September 19, 2013, 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: Dragoman on September 19, 2013, 05:15:42 PM

Now that's a statue to be proud of. Long may Our Johnny be around. Good riddance to that MJ joke.

Johnny Haynes statue is pure class!  :Haynes The Maestro:
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

filham

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 19, 2013, 12:35:49 PM
A good post,I too think the statue should stay and perhaps we should have an MAF statue alongside it.

At this rate we will be having a Keep the statue protest at a home game soon.

Holders

It's got to go. We hated it when it came, the only feeling for it now is transferred feeling for Fayed. We can remember him without having to have the monstrosity, we've still got plenty of other things to moan about.

The club says that it has no place in the Riverside development. Fine. Give it to Fayed and put up a statue of him instead that we can all like and respect.