watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So, negativity about Jol is wrong......

Started by leonffc, September 22, 2013, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

But constantly slating Steve Sidwell is OK?
All season I've seen derogatory posts about Sidwell. A guy that always puts 110% in, box to box and chips in with his fair share of goals. But people slag him off for not being able to pass like Xavi or tackle like Bobby Moore.
Give me a player with his heart over a manager that stands with his arms folded for 90 minutes any day

Whiteroom

I'm totally with you. Especially in times like these, it is really worth having a man like him around.

The Old Count

Consistently our best player. Positional sense superb plus all the other attributes.

Like I've said before, Roy rated him as did Mourinho, Hughes, O'Neill and others.

Those who slag him off know very little about the game though, bless 'em.

leonffc

Scores more than Ruiz, works harder than Ruiz & Berbatov put together and wins more tackles than Hangeland.

Sidwell out.

Oakeshott

Totally agree. Fortunately with Parker we now have another who gives everything.

malc

Agree.Unfortunately his over exuberance can sometimes get him into bother with referees but we need his 100% committment

HatterDon

maybe it's because I always had to work three times as hard to be half as good as most of the guys I played with, but I'm a sucker for guys like Sidwell and Baird who go out there and bust their hump for 90 minutes +
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MasterHaynes

I do wonder what some people expect from our players not just Sidwell, 100% pass completion,every shot on target, goal every other game and zero mistakes? In the few games so far, including the 2 friendlies Sidwell has proven to be our best player and our most consistent scorer, not sure what else he has to prove to earn a 2yr contract extension

Deanothefulhamfan

I agree.... feel the criticism towards Sidwell is a little unfair. Yes he is a similar player to parker, and yes he is not the most creative. But he does get forward and is one of more likely players to score every week.  (He should have scored against Chelsea )

Sidwell does his job well, which is a decent box to box player with bags of stamina to go and hunt down the ball, unfortunatley we need someone with a creative brain in the middle alongside Parker, because thst is exactly the sort of player he is....That is an issue for Jol to sort out though.

TonyGilroy

Negativity about anything or anyone is a choice governed by personality and chemicals washing around in the brain. It's neither right nor wrong.

Jol's problem is getting the balance of his team right. I'd prefer Boateng guarding the back 4 with Parker (rather than Sidwell) having a freer role. I think they're too similar and Parker's better.

epsomraver

Quote from: MasterHaynes on September 23, 2013, 07:01:30 AM
I do wonder what some people expect from our players not just Sidwell, 100% pass completion,every shot on target, goal every other game and zero mistakes? In the few games so far, including the 2 friendlies Sidwell has proven to be our best player and our most consistent scorer, not sure what else he has to prove to earn a 2yr contract extension

What they expect is EFFORT from a balanced team not made up of two your Sir's favourites every week

ffctom_b

Sidwell would be the first name on the team sheet in my book,

Great engine, good box to box, and with Parker sitting next to him, should allow him to push a bit further forward and score a few more goals also.

He just needs to learn that sometimes he can't dive into tackles, but is and has been one of our most consistent players since he arrived here
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

Pev

How fans can even argue he is of premier league standard is beyond me. What merits the most criticism is Jols decision to even put him near the squad...
@Fulham_Boy

The Old Count

Quote from: JoeyFFC on September 23, 2013, 01:22:07 PM
How fans can even argue he is of premier league standard is beyond me. What merits the most criticism is Jols decision to even put him near the squad...

Yeh! Jol is wrong about him as was Mourinho, O'Neil, Hodgson and Coppell.  They know nothing. Thank goodness you have been able to point this out.
BTW. When do you start as England Manager?

EJL

Quote from: The Old Count on September 23, 2013, 01:29:30 PM

Yeh! Jol is wrong about him as was Mourinho, O'Neil, Hodgson and Coppell.  They know nothing. Thank goodness you have been able to point this out.
Not sure why it matters what Hodgson thought of him...

The Old Count

Quote from: EJL on September 23, 2013, 01:55:39 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on September 23, 2013, 01:29:30 PM

Not sure why it matters what Hodgson thought of him...

Well! Don't knock yourself out trying to figure it out

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: The Old Count on September 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM
Consistently our best player. Positional sense superb plus all the other attributes.

Like I've said before, Roy rated him as did Mourinho, Hughes, O'Neill and others.

Best player, really? He does a good job but he has his faults. His positional sense isn't a strong point really in as much as he doesn't shield the defence well. Having said that he's been one of the best this season at what he does. The question is do we need him and Parker? To me they're too similar.

The Old Count

Quote from: The Moose on September 23, 2013, 03:23:23 PM
Quote from: The Old Count on September 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM

Best player, really? He does a good job but he has his faults. His positional sense isn't a strong point really in as much as he doesn't shield the defence well. Having said that he's been one of the best this season at what he does. The question is do we need him and Parker? To me they're too similar.

Fair point Moose.
Pity we can't find a young Danny Murphy.

Forever Fulham

Sidwell is appreciated all the more at the present moment because of the ground he covers (as well as the effort expended).  He takes risks, cheats positionally at times, then rushes back in transition.   We haven't been exposed when he roams, so they must be doing a decent job of covering for him during his forays up.  His passing looks better, too.  I think we have to put Ruiz and Berbatov just behind Bent, though.  We have to create more attacking opportunities.  We can't rely on set pieces.  1. We don't get enough of them; and 2. It's not our strong suit.  I'd put Senderos in for Hangeland against Everton. Let's see what happens.

Logicalman

Quote from: Forever Fulham on September 23, 2013, 07:19:31 PM
Sidwell is appreciated all the more at the present moment because of the ground he covers (as well as the effort expended).  He takes risks, cheats positionally at times, then rushes back in transition.   We haven't been exposed when he roams, so they must be doing a decent job of covering for him during his forays up.  His passing looks better, too.  I think we have to put Ruiz and Berbatov just behind Bent, though.  We have to create more attacking opportunities.  We can't rely on set pieces.  1. We don't get enough of them; and 2. It's not our strong suit.  I'd put Senderos in for Hangeland against Everton. Let's see what happens.

Totally agree. And in addition ...

Sidwell has been more or less a solid player for us. He has made his mistakes, though not as many as another current squad player I could mention that led to conceding goals, he is a solid tackler of the ball, can lay it off, and even shoot at times.

In the same mold as Duffy, he tries his best and puts in 150% each game. Perhaps he's not as brilliant as Berbatov, but when I see one player putting in 150% effort and one that cannot be bothered to get much above 20%, I think I know the one that I would prefer, week-in and week-out.