watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Getting rid of the manager is not the solution - yet

Started by copthornemike, September 30, 2013, 12:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

Personal opinion - sacking Jol may not help improve matters in the short term and could well make us look like a Sunderland. Whatever we think just now he does have a good record as a manager but he is stubborn and does not appear to be ready or willing to accept advice.
I think we, and Jol in particular,  are missing Ray Lewington and as far as I am aware has not been replaced.
A lot of the teams current problems do appear to be ones that could be resolved on the training ground. If the rumours about Meulensteen have some creedence then taking him in as a coach appears to me to be the best current outcome - and provide some continuity if Jol and his entourage were to leave.

cottage cheese

I disagree I'm afraid. Even if we do beat Stoke, Jol has lost the support from the fans and by the looks of it some of the players in their attitudes/effort. We are on a steady decline.

He needs to go for the good of this club. Never have I witnessed such a toxic atmosphere on Saturday (well not for a long long time). The team isn't even trying any more by the looks of it.

I don't hate him and I don't think he is a terrible manager. I simply believe he is just not the right fit for us and did from the start. Time to get someone in to really change the horrible tactics at the moment.

Lighthouse

Quote from: copthornemike on September 30, 2013, 12:29:58 PM
Personal opinion - sacking Jol may not help improve matters in the short term and could well make us look like a Sunderland. Whatever we think just now he does have a good record as a manager but he is stubborn and does not appear to be ready or willing to accept advice.
I think we, and Jol in particular,  are missing Ray Lewington and as far as I am aware has not been replaced.
A lot of the teams current problems do appear to be ones that could be resolved on the training ground. If the rumours about Meulensteen have some creedence then taking him in as a coach appears to me to be the best current outcome - and provide some continuity if Jol and his entourage were to leave.

All of which may be true. But I am not sure two and a bit years of this sort of football is asking too much. I cannot remember a 90 minutes of good football under Jol. There must have been one. Negative tactics are harming us week in and week out. I don't care what we look like or if it works in the end. But clearly a change is needed. If the problems can be resolved on the traing ground then why haven't they.

Sorry but I really think the frustration has gone beyond papering over the problem.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

I think we, and Jol in particular,  are missing Ray Lewington and as far as I am aware has not been replaced.
Yes, I am listening to you and would like to agree with you as I am afraid that new manager may find our limited transfer budget, failed youth policy and stars like Berbatov and Ruiz too much of a problem.
However, how on earth are a new coach and Jol going to rectify the poor performances of recent games ? It's not just poor training but a combination of wrong tactits and wrong players.

Jack Fulham

The same Ray Lewington Jol made reserve coach half way through his first season. Pretty clear he didn't want his help.

Burt

I have come around to the reality that Jol is not taking us forward and needs to move on.

My only concern is who replaces him. The list of alterntative options is not compelling.

So the danger is releasing Jol and replacing him with someone who won't have an impact either. With the added risk of us falling further behind given transition to the new gaffer, and us having to replace someone not up to it some time downstream.

Easy to say "Jol Out". But the club have to look beyond that.

Texas White

Clearly something is broken.
Do you open the door or keep banging your head against it?

nose

Actually getting rid of jol now is the only solution because he is actually the problem.

What follows is an issue and whilst I am the first to admit I have disliked jol from about 6 games into his tenure, I will be as worried and nervous as everyone else about what follows. But to do nothing is fatal, there is still loads of time to improve, but under a new manager. For the record I wanted poyet two years ago and unless somebody has a better idea, or can think of analternative he is still my chjoice. And even if we got him and he is my choice, it might not work out and I would admit that was wrong, but in business you are better trying something than doing nothing.

As to Jol's fabled record, it is actually full of underachievement. Based on what he had available in terms of money and/or players he has never really done that well.

cottage cheese

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2013, 12:47:54 PM
I think we, and Jol in particular,  are missing Ray Lewington and as far as I am aware has not been replaced.
Yes, I am listening to you and would like to agree with you as I am afraid that new manager may find our limited transfer budget, failed youth policy and stars like Berbatov and Ruiz too much of a problem.
However, how on earth are a new coach and Jol going to rectify the poor performances of recent games ? It's not just poor training but a combination of wrong tactits and wrong players.

We have a new owner with plenty of money. Im not saying we will act like QPR but I'm slightly confident that the new manager will get a bit to spend seeing as it will be Khans first man in.

premFlem

Quote from: Jack Fulham on September 30, 2013, 12:53:55 PM
The same Ray Lewington Jol made reserve coach half way through his first season. Pretty clear he didn't want his help.
True .....Jol first big mistake.Lewington knew the level of fitness needed for premier football Cock doesnt
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

epsomraver

Quote from: filham on September 30, 2013, 12:47:54 PM

Failed youth policy? what are you talking about?

HatterDon

Always, no sometimes, think it's me
But you know I know that it's a dream
I think I know I mean ah yes
But it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on September 30, 2013, 02:31:41 PM
But it's all wrong

:HD:  :HD:  :drums:  :HD:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

EJL

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 30, 2013, 12:37:06 PM

All of which may be true. But I am not sure two and a bit years of this sort of football is asking too much. I cannot remember a 90 minutes of good football under Jol. There must have been one. Negative tactics are harming us week in and week out. I don't care what we look like or if it works in the end. But clearly a change is needed. If the problems can be resolved on the traing ground then why haven't they.

Sorry but I really think the frustration has gone beyond papering over the problem.
Despite how poor Wolves were playing under Terry Connor, the 5-0 win at home in Jol's first season in charge was pretty much flawless. Apart from that and a few others, it's all been very much one good half and one bad.

EJL

Quote from: HatterDon on September 30, 2013, 02:31:41 PM
But it's all wrong

"Let me take you down as we're going toooo... the Championship" - Martin Jol

hesedmedia

I agree with you in principle, but it really does look like the players' heads have gone. It doesn't really matter after that whether Jol is a tactical genius or an idiot, for whatever reason the players have had enough.

Andy S

084.gifEqualizer and Hatter Don, the next line is "Let me take you down" Whoops!