watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Conflict Archaeology

Started by Berserker, October 01, 2013, 11:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

Any body interested in Conflict Archaeology? I may have a spare free ticket for a conference ot Bristol Uni on the 19th October. Mr B can't go, but as the invite is on an e.mail i will have to meet outside venue and go in together
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

sipwell

A date with Mrs. Berserker. Her monniker alone should make it a smashing evening. Come on fellows!  I have a channel between us unfortunately!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Berserker

It's not a date. They only need come through the door with me and then can sit somewhere totally on there own if they want. Mind you i do realise the subject matter is a bit of a niche market

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Sorry also forgot to mention it's during   the day on the Saturday

- Martin Luther King Jr.

TonyGilroy

You've given me a picture of the Time Team presenters engaged in a massive pub brawl.

I suppose conflict archaeology must be something else.

The Equalizer

I'm trying to think of a subject that could possibly be any more 'NFR' than this! The things I read on this forum..

It's an excellent topic though, and I'd give my hind legs to get back to Bristol, even if it's for a day. Sadly can't make it this time around though.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Airfix

:58:

Perhaps a little elucidation on the subject matter?

Berserker

Quote from: Airfix on October 02, 2013, 11:26:39 AM
:58:

Perhaps a little elucidation on the subject matter?

Modern Conflict Archaeology:

Modern conflict archaeology involves the interdisciplinary study of conflict and its legacies during the 20th and early 21st centuries. It is a powerful response to the complexities of modern conflict, and radically different from traditional Battlefield Archaeology. Conflict archaeology focuses on conflict as a multifaceted phenomenon, whose variety of physical traces possess multiple meanings that change over time. It is not restricted to battlefields, or to large-scale wars between nations, but embraces every kind of conflict and its diversity of social and cultural legacies.

Link to the conference website: http://mcaconf.com/

Hope this helps explain  :021:

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: TonyGilroy on October 02, 2013, 08:39:33 AM

You've given me a picture of the Time Team presenters engaged in a massive pub brawl.

I suppose conflict archaeology must be something else.

I had visions of people shouting 'En Garde' whilst brandishing their trowels.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Logicalman

Oh gawd, my eyesight is def on the way out. I read 'conference' as 'concert' and thought it was some new punk/rock/blues/grunge group!!

If I was over there I'd be interested in this, pity about the swim in between.

A. Craven-Cottagist

Sorry to be very late to the party on this one, but I was just wondering whether this ticket is still available ?  I would like to get to the conference - but being a little on the disorganised side, the tickets are now sold out.

[Not Conference Related Side-Benefit: Daughter decamped to Bristol a couple of weeks ago to go to college, and this provides an opportunity to turn up and irritate her by being a cloying, over-protective parent.]

YankeeJim

It sounds like a grand day in a great "niche". I've crawled over a few assorted battlefields on this side of the pond and have read a great deal on the matter. Granted, I'm more on the "shoot em up" side rather than the thinking that leads to it. It brings history to life. For example, if you visit the site of the Battle of Little Big Horn (Custer's Last Stand), you see what a complete, total, arrogant idiot Custer was. He basically walked into a Celtic pub with a Ranger kit on singing God Save the Queen.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Berserker

Quote from: A. Craven-Cottagist on October 13, 2013, 11:18:53 PM
Sorry to be very late to the party on this one, but I was just wondering whether this ticket is still available ?  I would like to get to the conference - but being a little on the disorganised side, the tickets are now sold out.

[Not Conference Related Side-Benefit: Daughter decamped to Bristol a couple of weeks ago to go to college, and this provides an opportunity to turn up and irritate her by being a cloying, over-protective parent.]

Yes i still have spare ticket. I had an e.mail this weekend from Uni with last minute detail, which i haven't fully read yet. I'll have a look tomorrow when i get to my pc and PM you

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Burt

Sounds like the conference should be at the New Den rather than Bristol  :dft011:

The Equalizer

Quote from: Burt on October 14, 2013, 01:11:52 PM
Sounds like the conference should be at the New Den rather than Bristol  :dft011:

Oh I don't know. You can probably still find the fossilised face-print of one unlucky football supporter after he was thrown through the window of the Wellington on Gloucester Road and landed on his mush, just as I was walking past after a Bristol Rovers game...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc