https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (11/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 10, 2013, 06:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham ponder pay-as-you-play Diarra deal

Cottagers considering offering Mali midfielder appearance-based contract

Fulham are considering offering a pay-as-you-play deal to Mahamadou Diarra.

The Mali midfielder hasn't featured for the first team since December last year due to a serious knee injury.

Diarra's contract expired in the summer, but he has been training at Motspur Park in a bid to prove his fitness to manager Martin Jol.

The 32-year-old made a successful return from injury for Fulham's under-21s against Reading last month.

And the Whites are weighing up whether to offer an appearance-based deal to the former Real Madrid star.

Boss Jol said: "I don't think he will ever be the player he was when he started at Lyon. That was 100 per cent.

"I felt he wasn't 100 per cent before but he was so influential with his passing and in the dressing room.

"We told him play three matches and then we will make an assessment.

"There are different scenarios like getting players and pay them when they play.

"But first we need clearance from the medical staff and his surgeon in Madrid to say he is fit."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-ponder-pay-as-you-play-diarra-deal-6166078?

WhiteJC

Murphy calls it quits! Ex-Liverpool, Fulham and Spurs midfielder brings curtain down on 20-year career

Danny Murphy has announced his retirement from football after leaving Blackburn at the end of last season.

The former Crewe, Liverpool, Charlton, Tottenham and Fulham midfielder made more than 600 club appearances and won nine caps for England during his 20-year career.

Murphy has been without a club since leaving Ewood Park in the summer and has decided to call time on a career in which he won the FA Cup, two League Cups and the UEFA Cup during his time at Liverpool, and was a key part of the Fulham side that reached the Europa League final in 2010 and scored the goal that kept the west London side in the Premier League two years earlier.

All over: Danny Murphy has called time on his career

Staring out: Murphy began his career under Dario Gradi at Crewe

Since the end of last season, Murphy has been working in the media as a pundit on Match of the Day and guest presenter on talkSPORT.

He told talkSPORT: 'There have been some press reports about whether I'm still playing or available but I decided a little while ago I would retire, I just didn't make it official.

Kop idol: Murphy won silverware during his time at Liverpool

England chance: Murphy won nine international caps

'So now I'm officially retiring because I'm sick of having conversations about it and almost stringing people along. I decided three or four weeks ago I was done, and this [the Colin Murray show on talkSPORT] is the best place to do it.

'This is me, 20 years, I'm done. I've had a wonderful career and can look back on it with fondness.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2451708/Danny-Murphy-retires-football.html#ixzz2hLHE4vi5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Former Fulham favourite announces his retirement

Danny Murphy decides to hang up his boots after illustrious 20-year career

Calling it a day: Former Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy

Former Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy has announced his retirement from football.

The 36-year-old has been without a club since leaving Blackburn Rovers at the end of the season and has decided to hang up his boots to concentrate on his coaching badges and media work.

Murphy made 210 appearances during his five-year stay at Craven Cottage, scoring 28 goals.

He scored the winner at Portsmouth on the final day of the 2007/08 season that saved Fulham from the drop, and also led them to the Europa League final in 2010 under Roy Hodgson.

Murphy made more than 600 appearances during spells at Crewe, Liverpool, Charlton, Tottenham, Fulham and Blackburn.

He won nine England caps and the FA Cup, two League Cups and the UEFA Cup during his time at Anfield.

Murphy told talkSPORT: "There have been some press reports about whether I'm still playing or available but I decided a little while ago I would retire, I just didn't make it official.

"So now I'm officially retiring because I'm sick of having conversations about it and almost stringing people along. I decided three or four weeks ago I was done.

"This is me, 20 years, I'm done. I've had a wonderful career and can look back on it with fondness."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-fulham-favourite-announces-retirement-6166810?

WhiteJC

Ray Lewington exclusive: 'Honesty is the best policy when it comes to England job'
Roy Hodgson's right-hand man says strong bond in camp will get the best out of the England team tomorrow

Feel-good factor: It's all smiles in the England set-up as Ray Lewington, Gary Neville and Roy Hodgson see the funny side during training

It is not long now before the biggest night of his career but Ray Lewington is almost serene.

Roy Hodgson's right-hand man and all-round good guy is relaxed and more importantly "quietly confident" about England's chances against Montenegro at Wembley tomorrow night — the first of two matches which he believes will cement their place in next summer's World Cup finals in Brazil.

The pair first teamed up together at Fulham and when Lewington talks about his working relationship with Hodgson, the word which crops up most often is "honesty".

"I first met Roy back in 1974," says 57-year-old Lewington. "He was part of the Surrey coaches' group then and all the young pros at Chelsea were encouraged by Dave Sexton to take their FA preliminary coaching badges.

"I was 18 when I took and passed the course which was overseen by Roy.

"I didn't know him well but we would have a little chat. After that we would bump into each other now and again, not often because Roy spent a long time abroad but it wasn't until Fulham when he became manager there that we really came together.

"There is a mutual trust there. Roy doesn't 'flower' things up. What the public see in his interviews is what he is. He tells you the truth and he doesn't try to be clever.

"I think I'm a pretty honest bloke as well and we got on straight away.

"Roy's a coach. I don't think he would work with anyone who didn't really want to coach. Everything stems from that coaching ethic.

"If you can't coach I don't believe Roy would be interested and I'm the same. Coaching has always primarily been my main thing so we gelled quickly in that respect."

Lewington also believes that honesty is an integral part of the character of Gary Neville, who is also an important part of Hodgson's coaching group.

"Gary has that insight. Neither of us knew him but we thought there was a need for someone — almost a go-between," says Lewington.

"We had seen what Gary had done on television and both of us had been impressed. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Rapport: Lewington believes that Neville's relationship with the players is key to the team's success

"Gary is as honest as you can get, sometimes to the point of bluntness. He has been terrific for Roy because he knows how the players are thinking — he has played in the same team as quite a few of them — but he is also a really dedicated football person. He works as hard as anyone in our group.

"He is relentless, his mind never stops and added to that, he tells you what he thinks and Roy likes that.

"Roy's an intelligent guy. If you try to be clever, it wouldn't work. He sees through people fairly quickly if they're not totally honest with him."

So the coaching dynamic looks good but what of England's chances tomorrow night — and against Poland next Tuesday?

"I have the utmost faith in the group of players we have," says Lewington. "If we had gone into these games with a few injuries and question marks then we would have been more nervous.

"Yes, tomorrow night is a really big game and there will be nerves but we've all got a confidence. We are positive when we're around the players but also when we close the door and we're on our own.

"Apart from Ashley Cole everyone else has been here and training this week couldn't have been better.

"There's good competition for places. That's all you can ask for.

"We tend to undervalue ourselves a little so we're saying, 'They have to play against our team. Yes, Montenegro will test us over 90 minutes but we're going to cause them some serious problems as well. Let's concentrate on us being better than them on the night.'

"We have a near fully fit squad, we're playing at a packed Wembley — yes, we're quietly confident."

Lewington knows full well, though, what is at stake.

"Qualification for the World Cup in Brazil — it's the biggest few days in my career. It doesn't get any bigger than that really," he admits.

It's certainly some way from when he was sacked as Watford manager in 2005. "I really didn't see that coming," he says. "That was probably my lowest point.

"The other bad time came when I had serious problems with my knee. I spent six weeks in hospital, had nine operations and there was a real danger, at one point, that I would have to have my leg amputated."

In the wake of the 0-0 stalemate with Ukraine in Kiev, Hodgson, 66, had to withstand some forthright criticism but Lewington says the England coach rides out the storms with equanimity.

"If you know Roy, he will take criticism but he will fight his corner — he will sit down and argue his point all day but he doesn't go home worrying about it," he says. "If you tell him someone has been criticising him he will say, 'It's his opinion.' In fact, Roy takes criticism probably better than anyone that Iknow."

So how will the England coach and his assistant celebrate if it all goes to plan over the next few days?

"Quietly," replies Lewington. "He doesn't over-react when there are disappointments or when things go well for the team. He'll probably go home and have a nice glass of wine with his wife, Sheila. Roy's a very humble man, really.

"Me? I'll probably do the same unless my rowdy brothers and sisters have anything to do with it which, knowing them, they will!"

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/ray-lewington-exclusive-honesty-is-the-best-policy-when-it-comes-to-england-job-8871465.html

WhiteJC

Boss Jol admits dilemma over Bent's role

Fulham manager Martin Jol has held talks with Darren Bent over his role in the team and has suggested he may have to settle for being a substitute.

The Dutchman is reluctant to play Bent alongside first-choice striker Dimitar Berbatov after his decision to field them together against Cardiff City backfired in a recent home defeat.

Jol insists Bent, who is on loan from Aston Villa, will still have a major part to play this season.

"I have always tried to get my players confident. They always have a good season with me and Bent will have a good season with me," said Jol.

"I've seen him a couple of times and spoken to him, and the conversation was private.

"It's awful to tell players that they won't start or that they won't play but when I spoke to him I had to tell him a few nice things.

"I said it would be awful if I don't use him in a proper way and he will be a good part of things this season. He has been a good part already.

"He knows what my intentions are, but it is not my intention to play Berbatov and Bent [together], I have to be honest."

Bent, 29, netted the winner against Stoke on Saturday and has made seven appearances since his arrival at Craven Cottage.

He has scored three goals – all of them coming after he has come off the bench – and Fulham have lost all four matches he has started.

"Sometimes he can't start," Jol admitted.

"I was very happy with Bent coming on in the Stoke game. It's great to have someone like Darren to come off the bench.

"My intentions are still to use Darren, and to get the best out of both him and Berbatov, but it's not easy because you need time to work on that system."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jol-dilemma-over-darren-bent-role-4443312-html?

WhiteJC

If England Were A Premier League Club They'd Be Fulham

set of ageing players almost all guaranteed a start if fit, a London home, a white shirt, a famous heartbreaking defeat, the failure to make much of an impact on the big stage. If England were a Premier League club, they'd be Fulham, and that's before we even mention Roy Hodgson.

The Three Lions' manager positively glowed when, as a pundit on Match Of The Day last weekend, he saw host Gary Lineker introduce highlights from the Craven Cottage club's low-key, somewhat fortuitous 1-0 win over Stoke City courtesy of a late goal from Darren "13 England caps" Bent.

Perhaps secretly Hodgson still wishes he was in the homely surroundings of the Cottage, where overachieving amounts to a top 14 finish and a good cup run, and supporters don't get as angry with morale-sapping performances and defeats as they did at Inter Milan, Liverpool and indeed England.

For that is probably the key difference in this comparison.

England might be the Fulham of the international game―always lurking, occasionally upsetting the top sides with a scrappy win, a bit old-fashioned―but Fulham supporters don't necessarily expect to win every game. England's do, or at least they used to.

During his tenure with the national side Hodgson has successfully managed to build up fairly average opponents to the status of world-beaters, so that when England manage a decent result against them it is hailed as miraculous.

None more so was this evident than in the goalless draw in the Ukraine last month, when the visitors turned up intent on achieving nothing more than a 0-0 and got what Hodgson wanted.

Yet Ukraine weren't actually that good, something which seemed lost on Hodgson at the time, as reported by the BBC, and could well be so again ahead of the forthcoming home matches against Montenegro and Poland that the Three Lions will have to win to secure qualification for next year's World Cup in Brazil.

England should beat those two teams at home, of course they should, so can Hodgson and his squad spare us the spectacle of their players elevating the opposition to the status of the world's best please? "Montenegro will be similar to Brazil," said Jack Wilshere in between his lectures on nationality, as reported by The Guardian. Oh well, that didn't last long.

Perhaps Hodgson's skill at dampening expectations was honed at Fulham, but at least there the approach held some merit.

The south-west Londoners' glorious and frequently logic-defying run to the 2010 Europa League final―where they suffered a heroic loss to an extra-time winner from Atletico Madrid's Diego Forlan that could only have been more English had it been in a penalty shootout―was a superb achievement and is rightly lauded as one of the best European feats by a British club, but what have they done since?

Like England following their 1966 World Cup success, the Cottagers have failed to build on that high point, and these days find themselves on the outside looking in when the prizes are dished out.

Of course the money put into the club by Mohamed Al-Fayed and more recently Shahid Khan is nothing compared to the rest of the riches flowing through the Premier League, or indeed the millions that the FA has lavished on the England team over several barren years, but it is what you do with that money that counts.

The lack of youngsters making their way from Fulham's youth ranks and into their first team suggests that enough cash isn't being spent there, and the same can be said of the bi-annual calls for a revamp of English youth football whenever England exit a major tournament.

That'll happen again next summer providing Hodgson's men navigate the two modest tasks ahead of them in the next few days and qualify for Brazil, where they'll once again be able to face the elite without ever really troubling them.

A bit like Fulham do most weeks, in fact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1804511-if-england-were-a-premier-league-club-theyd-be-fulham?

WhiteJC

Ex-Liverpool and Tottenham midfielder Murphy confirms retirement

Former Liverpool and Tottenham midfielder Danny Murphy has called time on his 20-year footballing career following questions marks over his future, Sky Sports has reported.

Murphy's contract at Blackburn was mutually terminated this summer, and the 36-year-old did not find a new club for the current season. Having quit the game in September, the ex-Charlton man decided to clarify his situation.

"There have been some press reports about whether I'm still playing or available but I decided a little while ago I would retire, I just didn't make it official," Murphy said.

"So now I'm officially retiring because I'm sick of having conversations about it and almost stringing people along. I decided three or four weeks ago I was done. This is me, 20 years, I'm done. I've had a wonderful career and can look back on it with fondness."

A product of the academy at Crewe Alexandra, under the stewardship of Dario Gradi, the Cheshire born centre-midfielder went on to make 639 appearances in English football, scoring 121 goals in all competitions, and also picked up nine international caps for England, netting once for the Three Lions. Murphy represented Liverpool, Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers before hanging up his boots.

He will be fondly remembered by fans of the Anfield club as he played a key role in the treble winning season of 2000-01, when the Reds won the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup. Murphy also developed a habit of scoring the deciding goal in 1-0 wins over near rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford, doing so three times in four seasons.

The former Fulham captain has appeared as a pundit on Match of the Day this season.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_22274_-.html#.UlbpMBa_wds

WhiteJC

Fulham consider pay-as-you-play deal for Mahamadou Diarra after midfielder makes injury comeback

The Mali man could be offered a rolling contract after impressing Fulham boss Martin Jol in training

Mahamadou you want me? The midfielder could earn a new deal at Fulham
Alex Livesey

Fulham are considering offering a pay-as-you-play deal to Mahamadou Diarra.

The Mali midfielder hasn't featured for the first team since December last year due to a serious knee injury.

Diarra's contract expired in the summer, but he has been training at Motspur Park in a bid to prove his fitness to Fulham manager Martin Jol.

The 32-year-old made a successful return from injury for Fulham's under-21s against Reading last month.

And the Whites are weighing up whether to offer an appearance-based deal to the former Real Madrid star.

"I don't think he will ever be the player he was when he started at Lyon," said manager Martin Jol. "That was 100 per cent.

"I felt he wasn't 100 per cent before but he was so influential with his passing and in the dressing room.

"We told him play three matches and then we will make an assessment.

"There are different scenarios like getting players and pay them when they play.

"But first we need clearance from the medical staff and his surgeon in Madrid to say he is fit."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-consider-pay-as-you-play-deal-mahamadou-2357603#ixzz2hOA5DnVe
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy: Five career highlights

Danny Murphy (left) pictured tussling with Dimitar Berbatov.

Former Fulham and Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy called time on his 20-year playing career today.
Soccerlens looks back on five memorable Murphy moments:

Boyhood dream
Murphy signed for Liverpool, his boyhood club, at the age of 20 in the summer of 1997 after coming through the ranks at Crewe Alexandra.

His Premier League debut came as a sub on the opening day of the 1997-98 season against Wimbledon.

Murphy went on to become a Reds regular, making almost 250 appearances in all competitions before being sold to Charlton Athletic in 2004.

Regular goals against bitter rivals Manchester United made him a hit with the Kop.

Taste of silverware
Liverpool won a cup treble in 2000-01. Murphy played in their FA Cup and UEFA Cup final victories. Murphy sat out their earlier League Cup triumph, but has a winner's medal.

The Reds also lifted the UEFA Super Cup and FA Community Shield the following summer.

Murphy then added a sixth trophy from his spell at Anfield by playing in the 2003 League Cup final win over Manchester United.

Country's call
An England debut came in November 2001 against Sweden. Murphy then scored his first and only international goal against Paraguay the following April.

Injuries restricted him to just nine appearances for the Three Lions. Murphy was set to replace club teammate Steven Gerrard in the squad for the 2002 World Cup, but suffered a metatarsal injury.

Golden goal
Danny Murphy header vs Portsmouth

Following difficult spells with Charlton and Tottenham Hotspur, Murphy joined Fulham in August 2007. The first season at Craven Cottage was a struggle, but under Roy Hodgson the Londoners pulled off a great escape.

This was in no small part thanks to Murphy. His headed winner at Portsmouth on the final day of the season kept Fulham up on goal difference, sending Reading and Birmingham City down.

European adventure
Fulham made remarkable progress under Hodgson. With Murphy as captain they finished seventh the following season. That meant Europa League football, the rebranded UEFA Cup, at the Cottage.

Hodgson steered Fulham to the final. At the age of 33, Murphy skippered the side in Hamburg's Nordbank Arena albeit in a losing effort.

Diego Forlan sunk Fulham late in extra time as Atletico Madrid won the rechristened competition.

Murphy went on to play for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship before being frozen out and released.

http://soccerlens.com/danny-murphy-five-career-highlights/118473/?

WhiteJC

5 highlights of former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy's career

Danny Murphy, formerly of Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur et al, has today announced his retirement from football. All the best 'Spud'!

Former Liverpool, Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers midfielder Danny Murphy, 36, has retired from professional football.

Before breaking onto the scene at Liverpool, Murphy also had a spell at Crewe Alexander before being given his top flight debut by Gerard Houllier.

He could play across the whole of the midfield, sometimes playing on the wing, but his preferred position seemed to be in the middle of the park.

During his career, Murphy made a total of 556 appearances scoring 71 goals, including nine England caps. Here we look at a few of his career highlights.

Scoring the goal that kept Fulham in the Premier League

Fulham seemed up against it in the fight to avoid relegation but somehow found themselves in the position retaining their Premier League status with a victory. 15 minutes from the end of the game, Danny Murphy got on the end of Jimmy Bullard's free-kick to keep him in the Premier League.

His record against Manchester United

Murphy seemed to have this uncanny record during the early part of the 2000's of scoring against Manchester United at Old Trafford. There was a period of three times in four seasons where Murphy scored a solitary goal to give Liverpool the win at Old Trafford.

The treble winning season at Liverpool

This was his most decorated season at Liverpool where he played a role in Liverpool winning the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup all in the same season, as well as the side qualifying for the Champions League under Gerard Houllier.

Winning his first England cap.

Murphy made his first of nine international appearances for England against Sweden in November 2001. He scored one goal for England against Paraguay at Anfield in a 4-0 win.

Reaching Europa League Final with Fulham

Murphy captained Fulham on the most memorable season in the club's history as they managed to beat some of Europe's more well-known names Juventus and Hamburg en route to the final but they fell just short against Atletico Madrid, losing the final 2-1 after extra time.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/10/10/ib-five-highlights-of-former-liverpool-midfielder-danny-murphys/?

WhiteJC

Fulham's All-Action Midfielder Linked With Serie A Champions. Transfer Scouting Report.

Fulham haven't enjoyed the best of starts to the new season. Two wins from the seven league sees the Cottagers languishing in the relegation zone on goal difference and the future of Martin Jol has been called into question. But there have been a few positives of note. One of those is the coming of age of Pajtim Kasami. The Switzerland international has started the season well, so well that Juventus have been linked with a January bid, according to Tuttosport.

The 21-year-old has taken time to settle into the club since coming over from Palermo for a reported £5 million back in 2011, but couldn't have picked a better time to start showing up. Playing in a position just behind the lone striker mainly, he has managed to outperform even Dimitar Berbatov, who, in truth, has struggled for form thus far.

Admittedly, Kasami isn't the most stylish of attacking midfielders, like a Mesut Ozil, for example, but he is quite the worker. On the ball, he is keen to take on defenders, attempting an average of two take-on's per game, completing 58% of them. Off the ball, he can be seen looking for space in order to receive the ball when his team is in possession and tirelessly hounding the opposition when it is not. An average of 3.2 tackles per game attempted is quite good for someone playing such an advanced role in the team. But he must be careful here, however, as he is committing too many fouls per game (2.7).

When it comes to passing he likes to keep things short, as an average pass length of 16 metres suggests, allowing him to link up with the players around him. That said, a pass completion percentage of just 79 isn't good enough. In fact, it helps explain why things haven't been clicking for Fulham in the final third, as they have scored just five goals in seven games. Only Stoke City have scored less.

He has to work on this aspect of his game. Developing a better understanding with the likes of Berbatov, Darren Bent, for example in and around the final third is key. As this understanding develops, he would create a lot more chances for them, certainly more than the 0.7 that he is currently averaging per game.

The same would apply at Juventus. In Antonio Conte's 3-5-2 setup, he would likely be deployed in central midfield as an alternative to Claudio Marchisio or Arturo Vidal. He is a player in the mold of the former–hard-working with good technical ability and intelligent movement off the ball. For him to make a success of himself in that role, he would need to understand the way the likes of Andrea Pirlo, Vidal, and advanced players like Carlos Tevez think in order to make the right runs from deep and link up effectively in the final third.

His shooting isn't a worry, though. A shot accuracy of 56% is quite good for a player who likes to shoot from distance, though that's not how he scored his only goal so far this season. His match-winner away to Sunderland was in fact scored via his head from close range. With his role in the side, he is enjoying the freedom he has to get into goal-scoring positions.

Kasami may not turn into a world-class player, but he can certainly prove a more than useful one for any team, including Juventus. His impressive work rate will certainly see to that. But given Fulham's current plight and his bright start to the season, Jol will be looking to keep hold of his starlet in order for him to help the club improve on their horrid start.

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/10/fulhams-all-action-midfielder-linked-with-serie-a-champions-transfer-scouting-report/2013101025476?

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy among leading Premier League assist kings
Premier League assist kings: Danny Murphy could cut it with Thierry Henry, Ryan Giggs and Frank Lampard

Murphy deserved more than nine England caps. (©GettyImages)

Today's announcement that Danny Murphy has officially retired from football brought an underwhelming end to another of England's most under-rated homegrown talents.

The former Crewe Alexandra, Liverpool, Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers midfielder enjoyed a relatively successful club career, that spanned over 20 years, and took in 600 appearances.

But, the fact Murphy won just nine England caps, despite his obvious talent, highlights once again the recurring failure to call-up unfashionable form players, instead of keeping blind faith in big-club underachievers.

The Liverpudlian actually had a decent trophy collection, winning an FA Cup, two League Cups as well as the UEFA Cup during his most impressive spell as a player at Anfield.

However, it should't be forgotten, the instrumental part Murphy played in current England manager Roy Hodgson's Cottagers side, helping the west London club to the Europa League final in 2010.

Two years earlier, he also scored the crucial goal that kept Fulham in the Premier League.

At the peak of his powers, Murphy was capable of mixing it with the best, as proved by OPTA's statistic that shows between August 2001 and May 2006, there were only four players in England's top-flight that boasted a better assist record than the 34 goals served up by the midfield maestro.

http://www.givemesport.com/389643-danny-murphy-among-leading-premier-league-assist-kings?autoplay=on

WhiteJC

Fulham's Elsad Zverotic tells England: 'Stevan Jovetic has the power to destroy you'

Fulham's Elsad Zverotic says England are no better than Montenegro – and has warned that they should fear Stevan Jovetic because he "can destroy any team in the world".

No fear: Fulham's Zverotic in training yesterday [ACTION IMAGES]

Zverotic, who plays as a defensive midfielder for Montenegro, said: "We will respect England – but we are now at a level where there is no need to fear them. They have good players – but so do we.

"They might have some big names but we don't look at England and think they are any better than us, because the truth is they aren't."

Instead, said Zverotic, England should fear Manchester City striker Jovetic.

"Stevan can destroy any team in the world – that is how good he is. It is not just about the goals he scores, but his intelligence, his vision and the goals he can create. Manchester City have some exceptional attacking players but for me Stevan is their top striker.

"He is good enough to start for any team in the world. England will have a big test to keep him quiet."

Jovetic has recovered from injury and offered a ringing endorsement to City team-mate Joe Hart.

"Joe is one of the five best goalkeepers in the world," he said. "He's not perfect, he can make mistakes but we don't think he has problems."

Montenegro coach Branko Brnovic, however, went for a more measured approach in the build-up to tonight's World Cup clash at Wembley, after his verbal battering ram for the last game.

Brnovic even found room for a joke when asked if there was a danger his players might freeze in front of 90,000 partisan Englishmen. "We have brought jackets," he quipped.

Other questions on England's potential problems or shortcomings were swatted away. Quite a contrast to March when Brnovic stoked the fires before the meeting with England in Podgorica, calling them a team that favoured long passes.

"Arrogant" was one of the words that he used to describe Roy Hodgson's team. "Running scared" and "long-ball" were others.

Branko Brnovic admitted that his team is missing important players [GETTY]

His team deservedly drew 1-1 that night and now lie third in Group H, level on points with Ukraine and just one behind leaders England.

But Brnovic's confidence has been dented for this game by the loss of four key players including his No?1 goalkeeper, Mladen Bozovic, best centre-half Marko Basa and top striker Mirko Vucinic.

Brnovic is hoping for, rather than anticipating, an upset.

"It's true we miss important players but who knows what can happen?" he said. "I'm sorry we are not complete.

"It was a really crazy match in Podgorica. Now it is time for someone to win and I hope it will be us.

"England are a great team. Maybe they can underestimate us. I will be happy if they do."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/435916/Fulham-s-Elsad-Zverotic-tells-England-Stevan-Jovetic-has-the-power-to-destroy-you?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

WhiteJC

International Whites

Pajtim Kasami has been rewarded for his fine form this season with a first call-up to the full Switzerland squad for their World Cup Qualifiers. Fulham teammate Philippe Senderos has also travelled as the Swiss face Albania in Tirana on Friday, before returning home to take on Slovenia on Tuesday. Just one point should be sufficient to see them qualify for the Finals next year, as they currently sit five points clear at the top of Group E with a vastly superior goal difference to the teams below.

In the same group, Brede Hangeland and Norway still harbour hopes of nabbing second spot. They currently sit fourth in the table but are set to play the two sides directly above them, so six points from their clashes away to Slovenia and against Iceland in Oslo will give them a good chance of securing that runners-up position.

Elsad Zverotić is set to play in one of the most important matches of his career to date when his Montenegro side face England at Wembley. Roy Hodgson's men currently sit a point ahead of Zverotić's nation so there's everything to play for in Group H, with Ukraine and Poland also in contention to make it to Brazil. Montenegro then face Moldova on home soil next week.

Giorgos Karagounis will be expecting his Greece side to take maximum points from their two home matches against Slovakia and Liechtenstein as they aim to avoid the need to navigate the World Cup Play-Offs. They will be looking for Bosnia-Herzegovina to slip up as well, though, as their Group G rivals – while on the same number of points – boast a far more enviable goal difference.

Sweden can still mathematically win Group C but they face a tall order to catch Germany with just two matches remaining. First up for Alexander Kačaniklić and his teammates is a home game against Austria, before they host the table-toppers four days later. There is a good chance the match will be a dead rubber for the unbeaten Germans by that point, though – depending on how Friday's fixtures pan out.

Over in the South American Qualifying Section, Venezuela's hopes of a spot in Brazil are mathematical only as they go into their final match. Fernando Amorebieta is in the squad but his side will need to beat Paraguay on Friday, whilst hoping other results go their way in addition to a significant goal-swing falling in their favour.

Bryan Ruiz's Costa Rica have already guaranteed a place at Brazil 2014 so the pressure is off to an extent for their final two matches in the CONCACAF qualifiers. They have an away game in Honduras first, before rounding off their campaign when they welcome Mexico to San Jose next week.

Away from World Cup action, Ashkan Dejagah has recovered from injury in time to meet up with Iran for their Asian Cup Qualifier against Thailand in Tehran. Iran currently sit top of Group B, while their opponents are bottom with no points after two games.

Adel Taarabt is back in the Morocco squad and could feature in their friendly match with South Africa in Agadir on Friday, while Neil Etheridge is in the Philippines party for their Peace Cup games against Chinese Taipei and Pakistan.

Three players are due to take part in European Championship qualifiers for their Under-21 sides. Lasse Vigen Christensen is in the Denmark squad for their games against Slovenia and Russia, and Josh Pritchard has received a call-up to the Wales team for the home matches with Lithuania and San Marino. Jesse Joronen's Finland face a trip to Moldova on Tuesday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/11/international-whites?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger open to longer stay with Oxford United

AS A flying winger, Ryan Williams does not like to do anything slowly.

It means a quiet start to life on loan at Oxford United has not come easily to the Australian teenager, but after flashes of promise in recent games he is open to extending the loan beyond January.

After making a first career start against Charlton Athletic in August, the Fulham loanee had to make do with substitute appearances over the next eight weeks.

But two starts in the last three games have seen Williams make useful contributions and with an injury doubt over Alfie Potter for tomorrow's game against Northampton Town, the run could continue.

Williams said: "At the start it was a bit frustrating because I wasn't playing as much as I would have liked, but now I'm starting to play and show what I can do.

"Hopefully I can carry that on and also try to stay in the team.

"It takes players a couple of months to settle in, but I think I settled in really early.

"It's because of the boys. They're all really nice lads and down to earth, so obviously it's really comforting to train with your mates.

"I have another three months left, so hopefully I can play as many games as possible in that time.

"If it goes well then we can extend it, if it goes sour then I've had fun here."

Staying on beyond the initial loan, which expires in January, appeals to Williams.

He said: "For sure, we're close to the top of the league and pushing for a promotion, so why not? What 19-year-old doesn't want to get promotion into League One?"

The highlight so far was a precise finish in the 3-1 win at Hartlepool United last month.

It was Williams's first career goal, but he has good reason to be eager for another strike soon.

He said: "I was really happy to show the manager, the boys and the fans what I could do.

"But I forgot to put it on record.

"It's recorded at my brother's house, but he lives in Middlesbrough so there's no real point in that.

"Hopefully I can get a lot more goals and get them on record."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/10732184._/?