more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (12/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 12, 2013, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Five questions for Fulham boss Martin Jol during the international break

How can I get the best out of the Darren Bent-Dimitar Berbatov partnership? Fulham's cause has not been helped by the fact that Berbatov and Bent have scored only one Premier League goal between them this season. The pair have only made two starts together since Bent (pictured) joined on loan from Aston Villa and Jol desperately needs to find a way of getting his preferred front pairing to start firing. Berbatov, who has struggled with a hamstring injury and is without a goal this season, is crucial to making Fulham tick. Things could quickly fall into place around him if the Bulgarian can rediscover his best form.

Fulham moved out of the relegation zone with a much-needed win against Stoke last weekend but there are still areas of concern for Martin Jol. So what will the Fulham manager be thinking about during the international break?

How can we improve home form? The 1-0 win over Stoke was Fulham's first home victory in the Premier League for over six months. They had not won at Craven Cottage since a 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers on April 1 and that needs to improve if the Cottagers are going to climb up the table. They conceded costly late goals against West Brom and Cardiff, with Jol taking most of the flak. Fulham's home form in recent seasons has been good and they need to build on the Stoke success. The team to visit Craven Cottage? Manchester United on November 2.

How do I find the right balance in midfield? Jol needs to find a way of fitting all his attacking talents into a system that gives enough protection to a defence that had looked exposed at times. Adel Taarabt and Bryan Ruiz are creative players but, along with Darren Bent and Dimitar Berbatov, they are not knows for their defensive qualities. Jol has Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell to shield his back four but there is still work to be done in finding the right balance.

Do I need to add to my coaching staff? Fulham failed to persuade Rene Meulensteen (pictured) to join Fulham and Jol now has to consider adding to his backroom team. Meulensteen is set to become the Qatar Football Association's technical director and his decision is a blow for Jol, who said: "I was looking because you try to have a good mix of qualities to add to what we've got. If there's an opportunity [to bring someone in] we will think about it."

Do I have the support of Shahid Khan and the fans? Patience is not a trait often associated with Premier League owners. Jol, whose contract expires at the end of the season, has been under increased scrutiny following a slow start but Khan has backed his manager so far. Khan is due in London later this month but Jol says he has not spoken to the American billionaire ahead of his visit. Home supporters turned on Jol after the Cardiff defeat but were fully behind the manager against Stoke on Saturday. Getting both fully on side is vital.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/five-questions-for-fulham-boss-martin-jol-during-the-international-break-8871957.html

WhiteJC

Jol hints at midfielder pay-as-you-play deal

Mahamadou Diarra is reportedly set to return to Fulham on a pay-as-you-play deal, despite Martin Jol feeling he is not the same player.

The 32-year-old Mali international has been heavily linked with a move back to Craven Cottage since the summer when his contract had expired but was not renewed after he missed a large spell of last season because of an injury he picked up in December. However Diarra remained with the Londoners to train with the first-team squad and boss, Jol, has revealed that he could be offered fresh terms should he prove his fitness. The Dutch tactician has now confirmed that Diarra performed well in a recent Under-21 outing against Reading and could he could be handed a deal. Jol, who claims Diarra has plenty to offer despite not being the player he was during his days with Real Madrid and Lyon, said: "I felt he wasn't 100 per cent before but he was so influential with his passing and in the dressing room. "We told him play three matches and then we will make an assessment. "There are different scenarios like getting players and pay them when they play. "But first we need clearance from the medical staff and his surgeon in Madrid to say he is fit."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-hints-at-midfielder-pay-as-you-play-deal-1647119.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder desperate to repay Jol

Kasami eager to justify his boss' faith in him

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami

Pajtim Kasami is desperate to repay the faith shown in him by Martin Jol.

The attacking midfielder has forced his way into the Fulham first team following a spell on loan at Lucerne last season, featuring in eight of the Craven Cottage team's nine games so far.

Kasami's exploits this week earned the 21-year-old a call-up for the full Switzerland squad.

The former Palermo youngster, who has been linked with Serie A giants Juventus, is keen to relieve the pressure on his boss.

"I understand the frustration from the fans, but the manager doesn't deserve [the stick]," said Kasami.

"He's got great experience and he's coached at some top clubs. He gave me a lot of confidence and I've tried to repay him with my performances."

Kasami cemented a spot in Fulham's starting XI by bagging the winner at Sunderland on the opening day of the campaign.

But the Macedonian-born midfielder admits he still has a lot to learn.

He said: "I'm one of the youngest in the team and I try to show every week what I can do.

"I'm very pleased with this season because I've been playing a lot and showed a lot of people that I can be an important player for Fulham."

Kasami could make his international debut in Albania tonight (Friday) as Switzerland close in on qualification for the World Cup.

And he admits he has one eye on Brazil next summer.

He added: "I'm the captain of the U21s but the first-team coach told me I'm a very important player once they qualify for the World Cup.

"For now my job is to do well at Fulham and the rest will come."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-midfielder-desperate-repay-jol-6168931?

WhiteJC

Kasami Interest from Italy!

Having recently declared that his full international future lies with Switzerland, our exciting young midfield talent, Pajtim Kasami, could soon be on the move.

Although still a fledgling in football terms, at a mere twenty-one years of age, reports are surfacing that Kasami is being tracked by the Italian club, Juventus.

Now information as to how serious the attentions of the Turin club are, is currently sketchy and we`re also not sure of Kasami`s current contract status, but if the 'Old Lady of Turin` did come knocking on his door, I doubt if the answer they`d receive would be NO!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=335211#ixzz2hUlku93P

WhiteJC

Fulham set to hijack Forest's Sako bid

Fulham are ready to hijack Nottingham Forest's bid to sign winger Bakary Sako.

Forest have been at loggerheads with Wolverhampton Wanderers for weeks over the Frenchman - and were forced to admit defeat when their latest attempt to take Sako to the City Ground failed.

But Fulham have had a long-standing interest in the ex-St Etienne star who was brought to Molineux by former Wolves boss Stale Solbakken.

With Martin Jol desperate to pull clear of the Premier League's danger zone, the Dutchman needs a gamechanger in his side.

Sako, 25, has that ability but Fulham were put off by Wolves's £4 million asking price in the summer.

Since then, Forest boss Billy Davies has made Sako one of his top targets.

But they failed with a deadline day bid - and last week's attempt to take him on loan also met with a refusal from Wolves.

Molineux boss Kenny Jackett reckons Forest could come back again in January.

But he insists the player is not on 'strike' after reporting ill for training while Forest were trying to secure a move.

But Sako's current form - he already five goals to his name - is likely to attract Premier League clubs as well.

With transfer fees inflated in January, Wolves may yet find a buyer to meet their asking price.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/33909-fulham-set-to-hijack-forest-s-sako-bid.php#.UlkLORa_wds

WhiteJC

Juventus Interested In Fulham's Kasami

Fulham midfielder Pajtim Kasami is a target for Italian champions Juventus as the struggling Premier League club find themselves in a battle to keep the Swiss international.

According to reports in Switzerland, Juventus are willing to make a move for the Fulham player in January with Infoticker revealing that they have watched Kasami for a while, the Express reports.

Kasami is no stranger to Italian football having previously played with Palermo in Serie A before making the switch to Fulham in 2011.

Last season the midfielder went on loan to Luzern in the Swiss Super League and has returned to play an important part in Martin Jol's team.

Kasami's 53rd minute goal was the deciding factor in Fulham's opening day victory over Sunderland back in August and played the full ninety minutes in their win against Stoke City last weekend.

Fulham bought Kasami for £5million in 2011 but it his current value has not been identified.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/juventus-interested-in-fulham-s-kasami-28580/?

WhiteJC

Where now for Fulham?

Allsport
Match-winner Darren Bent set to be rewarded with a place on the bench.

I foresaw a week of taking stock whereby we might shift focus to England's efforts to seal qualification for next summer's World Cup. Bearing in mind how much of the news flow surrounding Fulham FC in recent weeks has been so negative, a fortnight's respite while the embers of a win from the club's last fixture still flickered would suit me just fine. That was until Martin Jol started running off at the mouth again.

I have it on good authority that Fulham's beleaguered boss would have been fired over the weekend had Fulham not beaten Stoke. Just before 4.45pm last Saturday I was out of my seat as Darren Bent fired Fulham's winner, and by doing so threw Jol a lifeline. The match winner's reward? Jol tells him he should prepare for more time on the subs bench as it is too difficult at present to devise a system that pairs the club's top scorer with Dimitar Berbatov.

I am almost lost for words. At a stroke Jol again reveals his appalling man management, while reinforcing the notion certain members of the side remain untouchable. Our American cousins have stirred up a hornet's nest by suggesting the side would be better without Berbatov (no league goal to date, with barely an effort on target). How many more sub-par performances can Dimi be allowed while Fulham wallow in the relegation mire? Are Fulham really going to carry on the league campaign with £65k a week Darren Bent starting on the bench? This is a team that can't score remember.

You might have expected the manager to keep his head down having dodged a bullet last Saturday. Since the start of this campaign, Jol's third in charge -- a period that has seen the team's decline accelerate alarmingly, clumsy comments continue to fall from Martin's lips like boulders rolling down a cliff face. Supporters have been slated for daring to moan and told to lower their expectations.

Since August, Hugo Rodallega, Mesca and Pajtim Kasami have all been warned to up their game or face being sent out on loan.

Is this seen as motivation? How can Hugo expect to impress when he's never started? Why pour pressure on young talents like Kasami and Mesca to cut it every time they're given game time? Fulham make three or four selection changes for every game, not always because of injury. Alex Kacaniklic is in one minute, not even in the squad the next. Do you think Roy Hodgson would be running the team like this?

Very unfortunate news to see Rene Meulensteen reject a coaching role as Jol's assistant this week. The board made an offer, but can't get anywhere near the money on the table from Qatar. That's life. But what is more depressing, and profound, is Jol's reported reaction to the snub.

"We really wanted him to come on board, we'll look around and see who else is out there," tells you that, in year three of his tenure, despite the Dutch retinue around him, Martin can't cut it when it comes to coaching. And now we have it confirmed the board realise it too.

We supporters of course knew that only too well. We see the team failing week in and week out, even with the basics. In the run up to Stoke we were told the team would be worked extra hard on defending corners. Well, we all saw the result of that!

There's a great article out there today with Ray Lewington discussing his working relationship with Roy Hodgson. In essence, a very humble man says Lew. Something you will never hear said of Fulham's current manager. How much longer does he have? Keep talking Martin. Every quote brings us closer to seeing the bluffer sign his own death warrant.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1428?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Mr Khan's Ambitions

Chairman Shahid Khan discusses his ambitions for both Fulham and the Jacksonville Jaguars in a feature for Sky Sports.

Shahid Khan on Fulham

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/11/mr-khans-ambitions?

WhiteJC

Brian McBride Talks U.S. National Team, Playing for David Moyes and That Goal Against Portugal

Place 10 American soccer fans in a room together and within minutes you'll get about a thousand different opinions on the sport, MLS, how to grow the game in America and what's expected from the National Team, among all other topics. One consensus almost all U.S.-based fans can agree on: Brian McBride was awesome.

The Illinois native retired professionally in 2010 and stopped playing for the National Team in 2006. He remains an all-time fan favorite, thanks in no small part to goals at the 2002 World Cup against Portugal and Mexico, both proving to be the decider in their respective games.

McBride clinched legend status after receiving an elbow from Italy's Danielle De Rossi during the 2006 World Cup, which left him bloodied and bruised. McBride remained in the game to help the Americans notch a 1-1 draw against the eventual tournament champions.

Now 41, McBride works part time for Fox Sport 1 as an analyst on Champions League and Europa League games, as well as chipping in on Fox Soccer Daily. McBride's resume includes being the first-ever draft pick in MLS history as well as 30 international goals. From 2004-08 he played a key part in keeping Fulham in the Premier League, scoring 33 goals at the club — twice earning its Player of the Year honors. They liked him over there so much a bar inside the club's Craven Cottage is named "McBrides."

The Big Lead caught up with him last week and chatted on a variety of U.S. Soccer topics.

TBL: You played at Fulham like Clint Dempsey and then came back to play MLS like he did. Do you think it was a good move for him?

Brian McBride: It's great. The nice thing that Clint has as far you look at the growth of the player, he has a great understanding how to improve yourself ... not to taking a day off ... doing the right things on and off the field. What's helped, on the outside looking in, that MLS is willing to make a commitment to the Americans, that we want to bring back our top players. That Clint is bringing so much knowledge at an age where he can have influence, compared to an older player like myself is important.

TBL: You played a long time at Fulham. The way the EPL is set up, there's almost like a ceiling for how high up the table a team like Fulham can finish in any given year. As a player how did you approach it when you knew, likely no matter what you did, you weren't going to win the league?

BMB: If you're just talking about the Premier League itself, it's tough. But the nice thing is you have two Cups. Those are one-offs, if you're on top of your game you have every chance of winning. It's a long road and you have to be at your best at that run but it's still a chance for silverware. The pride of where you finish and if you can finish higher than you're supposed to, drives you. You're well aware of it as a player. With the fans you know what's going on and how important it is to get as high as possible. You have to have the motivation inside you.

TBL: You spent a couple years at Everton (home to U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard), which has developed a fairly sizable fan base in America. What stood out for you during your time there?

BMB: What stands out was the immediate, not acceptance per say, but the want and desire to have everybody succeed. That transfers on to new players coming in. The fans want to see you working for the team. Those were the things, as a player, you can feel right away. You don't have to go down and score three goals in the first game or create great opportunities. They respect the other side of the game. Even though I scored some goals, having the fans understand the little things that happen in a game and clap for it, it keeps you mentally driven to do those things. I saw that at Everton first and at Fulham it continued on. That passion and able to get some roots there, made that connection so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5e7FqHLbsU

TBL: At Everton (and Preston North End) you played for David Moyes. Did you get the sense he would be able to manage a club like Manchester United one day?

BMB: I definitively did. I knew Sir Alex (Ferguson) wanted him be his assistant. He turned it down at Preston. I know a lot people don't see how he coaches. He has every part. He understands it technically. He can communicate to players individually or as a group. He works his tail off. He tries to cover every bit of information that he can. I could definitely see him doing great things.

TBL: The U.S. National Team plays a couple qualifiers coming up. They've qualified for the World Cup. Are you as high on the work Jurgen Klinsmann and the team as everybody else seems to be?

BMB: I don't know how you can't be positive. The results, in my opinion, of what would be the hardest (CONCACAF Hexagonal) ever, have been exceptional. (Klinsmann's) dealt with adversity well. He's got the group believing. There's a closeness with the players. A belief in each other.

If there's a conceit you have to shore up in the back. It's not that the players aren't good enough, we have to figure out the communication. Some players may have to drop deeper. Overall, have to be pretty bullish.

This is world soccer. It's changed. It's no longer the world powers are the only teams you can look to. There's quality around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s012lW4HRfQ

TBL: You were a big part of the 2002 World Cup team. Did you ever think you'd go as far as you did, making the quarterfinals and pushing Germany to the brink?

BMB: (Then U.S. coach) Bruce Arena expected it. The second he walked into our January camp he said, 'We're going to beat Portugal.' We'd go away, first thing he'd say we're going to beat Portugal. He got us believing. It wasn't the free-flowing one-two touch, but it was figuring out when to go long. The work we put in defensively allows you to get to those heights.

TBL: A game like that, you're up 3-0 in the blink of an eye. I remember watching the game at like 2:30 in the morning and couldn't believe what I was watching. Is it all a blur? Does time slow down when it's happening?

BMB: It felt like a game where everybody was on top of everything. If the game had gone 10 minutes longer we might not have won it. (The final score ended 3-2.) I felt my preparation physically was so good. Our strength and fitness coach got us right and ready for the game. I can remember plenty. The second half was more of a blur. It's not something you can forget. The Portugal game stands out. It set the tone for us. We knew we had to come out like that every game.

TBL: And people forget you guys lost the last group game to Poland and almost didn't make the knockout rounds until South Korea scored late to beat Portugal.

BMB: If you want to be serious, the integrity South Korea showed to go on and beat Portugal when we're down 3-0 to Poland is incredible.

TBL: By the same token, everything that seemed to go right in 2002 went the other way in 2006 in Germany.

BMB: Yeah, fast forward to 2006 we don't' come out and play against the Czechs (the U.S. lost 3-0) and we're up against the wall. We played better than Ghana, we just couldn't score. What can you do? That's the World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc6UFAXhSJU

TBL: What does the future hold. Are you interested in getting into coaching?

BMB: I've got my B License.

TBL: Soccer in America is much different than when you were coming up. What's been the biggest difference?

BMB: We're starting to get the athletes to stick with soccer. When I was young, the best athletes would rarely pick soccer. They'd pick football or basketball because there was a future. Now there is. You can set your goals.

It's up to the people who played to make sure the talent is nurtured and taught and not given. If you're given it, you tend not to fight through.

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/11/brian-mcbride-talks-u-s-national-team-playing-for-david-moyes-and-that-goal-against-portugal/?

WhiteJC

Williams happy to stay with U's

Fulham's teenage winger Ryan Williams has revealed that he would be open to staying put at loan side Oxford United beyond January.

The 19-year-old Australian has recently forced his way into the League Two side's plans after linking up with them in the summer, starting three of their last four games and scoring in the 3-1 win against Hartlepool last month. As a result Williams feels he is now starting to flourish with the U's as he builds up his first-team experience at the Kassam Stadium. And if he remains a part of boss Chris Wilder's plans, he sees no reason not to prolong his stay in the New Year as opposed to returning to the Cottagers' Under-21 squad. Williams said: "At the start it was a bit frustrating because I wasn't playing as much as I would have liked, but now I'm starting to play and show what I can do. "Hopefully I can carry that on and also try to stay in the team. "It takes players a couple of months to settle in, but I think I settled in really early." He added: "I have another three months left, so hopefully I can play as many games as possible in that time. "If it goes well then we can extend it, if it goes sour then I've had fun here."

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/williams-happy-to-stay-with-us-1647125.html?

WhiteJC

It's time for Steve Davis to scale the heights for Northern Ireland

Leading by example: Steven Davis equals Gerry Armstrong's 63 caps for Northern Ireland tomorrow night

In no particular order I give you David Healy, Damien Johnson, Keith Gillespie, Stephen Craigan, Jim Magilton, Michael Hughes, Iain Dowie, James Quinn and Aaron Hughes.

They make the list for my 10 favourite Northern Ireland outfield players since first starting to cover the national team.

You will have your own choices and some of the aforementioned won't even be close to making the cut. Fair enough.

Me? I favour those named above for what they gave to the cause down the years as much as their ability in a green shirt, which at times was spectacular.

By now you may be thinking that the bloke writing this cannot count as only nine players have been listed. Deliberate mistake.

Number ten is Northern Ireland's current captain, Steven Davis.

He made his international debut as a 20-year-old in a 1-0 friendly defeat to Canada (pictured) at Windsor Park in February 2005 and has been a regular in the side ever since.

In his first appearance for his country, he was the best player on the pitch.

It was to become a common theme.

To many Steven's standout moment came just six months into his international career when a perfectly weighted pass sent Healy clear on goal to score the winner against England, but he's produced much more than that famous assist while wearing the green shirt.

There's been his skill, style and substance in the middle of the park for starters.

Now the skipper, he has amassed 62 caps at the age of 28.

There's been much talk over the past decade about some of our most popular outfield players potentially becoming centurions – mainly because it has never been done before with only legendary goalkeeper Pat Jennings reaching three figures for Northern Ireland.

Gillespie looked on course only to be halted on 86.

Healy seemed sure to break the barrier but, much as I'd love to see it, it's doubtful that the King of Windsor Park will be adding to his 95.

Aaron Hughes stands on 87 yet may soon retire again from the international scene with no comeback this time. Even if Aaron, 34 next month, stays on for another campaign I'm not sure he'll hit the magical milestone.

I have, however, high hopes for Southampton midfielder Davis who, I reckon, has a minimum of three qualifying campaigns left after this one and combined with friendlies he can make the ton.

Tomorrow in Azerbaijan Steven will win his 63rd cap equalling the great Gerry Armstrong. Injury and suspension permitting next Tuesday in Israel he'll make his 10th appearance in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers (our only outfield player with an ever present record) and his 64th overall for Northern Ireland matching Martin O'Neill, once his manager at Aston Villa.

O'Neill, of course, was an exceptional captain for our wee country during the 1982 World Cup finals.

Davis may never savour the joy and pride of that experience, but it shouldn't prevent him shining as Michael O'Neill's skipper.

Steven, a genuinely decent guy, is not one to shout and roar at his team-mates. He prefers to lead by example on the pitch.

Much as I admire the midfielder though, I don't feel he has done enough in that department since being handed the armband at the start of O'Neill's reign.

Certainly in the current campaign the former Fulham and Rangers star has not been as effective as he once was.

Obviously the team is weaker to when he started out, with Healy on fire, Gillespie on the wing, Johnson beside him in midfield and Hughes and Craigan so solid at the back but, even accounting for that, Davis has been far from his brilliant best on too many occasions.

In Luxembourg last month the Northern Ireland skipper, like most of the side, was anonymous.

I can't remember him ever having such a poor international with Luxembourg's part-timers enjoying a free ride in midfield.

In that match, with the team floundering, O'Neill desperately needed his captain to lift those around him.

It didn't happen.

It's up to Davis to show his true colours against Azerbaijan and Israel, just as he did in the 1-0 victory over Russia in August with a wonderful performance.

That was the Steven Davis we knew and loved. When he plays well, so does the team, but it has been rare recently.

He's been outstanding for Southampton lately in their climb to fourth position in the Premier League.

On international duty Steven has to set the tone and deliver dynamic displays. That way Northern Ireland may be able to finish this campaign with a flourish.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/steven-beacom/its-time-for-steve-davis-to-scale-the-heights-for-northern-ireland-29648626.html