watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What are you reading at the moment?

Started by Burt, October 15, 2013, 01:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

I'm reading "Two Brothers", by Ben Elton.

A cracking read about twins growing up together in Germany just as that Hitler chappy comes to prominence, and how their lives progress from there.

Best read for a long time. Good stuff and I would even recommend it more than the new Jack Reacher novel!

SmithyFFC

In spite of myself I'm actually currently reading Redknapps autobiography!

But I've recently read Captain Correli's Mandolin (highly recommended!) and as part of my Literature degree, Dante's Inferno.
FTID

HatterDon

In One Person by John Irving. It's a weird little book -- even by Irving's standards -- but I can't put it away until I finish it.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

The Plantagenets by Dan Jones, just filling in a period of our history that I had a very limited knowledge of. I'm currently reading about King John losing most of the empire his dad had built and brother Richard the Lionheart had preserved.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Airfix

jelmo

I finished '2 brothers' last week. COuldnt put it down. Gives you a great insight into what life was like in Germany for the Jews before the start of WW2.

Since then I read 'This is where I leave you' by Jonathan Tropper. Really easy read and very funny.

cottage cheese

Got two on the go

Slaughter house 5.....An absolute great read a classic in my eyes.

Nausea by Sartre which is proving to be quite a bloody challenge..All he does is moan!

FFC1987

Ive got 'Cromwell: Chief of men' by Antonia Fraser on the go. A very interesting read if you like history. (Obviously)

I'm also reading 'Ex Heroes' by Peter Clines. It has been described as 'the avengers meets the walking dead' so if you're a zombie comic geek like me, its brilliant!

My last read was 'The Count Of Monte Cristo'. Classic by Dumas, brilliant read.

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 15, 2013, 01:53:43 PM

I've read this twice now, and I can't wait to read it again. An incredible story, even though it's about 9000 pages long.

I'm currently reading 'Wool' by Hugh Howey, which is a great book. I've got the other 2 books of the trilogy yet to come. I've recently been re-reading Stephen King's books from scratch, having finally caught up with 'Under The Dome' and the superb '11/22/63'. I will be following Wool by reading 'Doctor Sleep'.

As a recommendation, the 'Farseer' Trilogy by Robin Hobbs is fantastic if you're a lover of Game of Thrones.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Danitar

Ibrahimovic's autobiography- it's pretty good read actually

filham

Just started Rise and Fall of the Third Reich to take my mind away from our current form.

Just finished "My Father and other Working Class Football Hereoes" by Garry Imlach.
Probably the best football related book I have ever read. Garry researches his father's football career and thus tells us what life was really like for the professional footballer in the sixties and seventies, An amount of Fulham interest with references to Haynes, Hill and Leggat, The book should be mandatory reading for all of today's premiership players, it would make them realise how well off they all are.

sipwell

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 15, 2013, 01:53:43 PM

I recently put down "The Black count" by Tom Reiss. It deals with Alexandre Père (the father of Dumas, the oldest novellist). Actually a brilliant piece of history (father Dumas was a former 'slave' who was the most formidable warrior of France but ended, more or less, as a slave again because Napoleon could not deal with him). Dumas Jr. used a lot of his father biography in his books.

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

MOR :

Nearly finished "Ian Dury: The Definitive Biography by Will Birch"...

Which is a brilliant insight into the life of Ian Dury, warts and all...

Are you FOFers aware that he had a fling with non other than Helen Mirren when he lived in Fulham back in the day...

The Equalizer

Quote from: MOR : on October 15, 2013, 03:10:19 PM

Are you FOFers aware that he had a fling with non other than Helen Mirren when he lived in Fulham back in the day...

To be fair mate, I think you'd have a tougher time finding 70s celebs who didn't have a fling with Helen Mirren than those who did.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

off the back of all the Count of Monte Cristo love I have just ordered a copy.

Currently I'm reading "I Just Make The Tea", a book written by a woman who worked in Formula 1 and motorsport hospitality for 20 years. A great adventure of a story.

MOR :

Quote from: The Equalizer on October 15, 2013, 03:13:39 PM
Quote from: MOR : on October 15, 2013, 03:10:19 PM

To be fair mate, I think you'd have a tougher time finding 70s celebs who didn't have a fling with Helen Mirren than those who did.

From what I've read and heard I'd totally agree with you...

grandad

Quote from: Burt on October 15, 2013, 01:14:39 PM
I'm reading "Two Brothers", by Ben Elton.

A cracking read about twins growing up together in Germany just as that Hitler chappy comes to prominence, and how their lives progress from there.

Best read for a long time. Good stuff and I would even recommend it more than the new Jack Reacher novel!
I have just read " Flight of Eagles" by Jack Higgins. It´s about twin boys born in America . Their father was American & their mother was German. They found themselves on opposite sides during WW2. Great read. I could not put it down. Had a great twist at the end.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Forever Fulham

I'm rereading Tess of the D'Urbervilles.  I have a soft spot for Hardy.  Some of his passages leap from the page such as the aftermath of poor Tess's rape and decline, the death of the resulting child in the author's stylized rural England.  For instance, in the subchapter, Maiden No More--

So passed away Sorrow the Undesired--that intrusive creature, that bastard gift of shameless Nature who respects not the social law; a waif to whom eternal Time had been a matter of days merely, who knew not that such things as years and centuries ever were; to whom the cottage interior was the universe, the week's weather climate, new-born babyhood human existence, and the instinct to suck human knowledge.
Just labeling the as-yet unnamed dead child "Sorrow the Undesired" is art of the highest caliber.  Mayor of Casterbridge and Jude the Obscure are better works, I suppose.  But Tess is more accessible and easier to get lost in. 

LBNo11

...The Boilerplate War by John Foley, all about the tanks of world war 1 and the crews. If you have any interest in world war one and have heard of the amazing exploits of the tank they humourously named 'Fray Bentos' there are a few pages dedicated to that action. Unfortunately the book is out of print and expensive to buy as a hard back, but quite cheap as a soft cover from around £3.50 depending on condition, but recommended reading nonetheless...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

I've just finished KG200, J. D. and John Clive Gilman and I've now started the Atlantis Gene, AG Riddle

KG200 is a "fact based" story about a German squadron who flew allied aircraft dressed as allied airmen, interesting story

the Atlantis Gene is a thriller, so far (page 60) its a good read, don't have to think too much