watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR- Where to live..some ideas please ?

Started by stevehawkinslidingtackle, October 20, 2013, 06:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Well I'll be moving back to the UK next year after 10 years away. I'm still torn about where to live. I'd like to be close to London ,ie: within an hour, somewhere in Kent maybe, but still looking for ideas anywhere really. I'd like to be quite rural, & near some decent schools for our young son.
We have a budget of about 275k, so I'd like to buy outright, no mortgage and maybe rent for a bit first. Ive looked at properties in various Towns I know, but any first hand knowledge of anything else you consider a decent place would be well received.

Cheers

tommy

For that sort of budget ruislip is really nice. Good schools and close to A40 for easy access to London. Lots of tube stations on the central line

watfordwhite

£275, 000 you may be able to get a place in a nicer part of Watford. LONDON 12 MINUETS BY TRAIN 20 MINUETS BY CAR. I live in north Watford and back onto woods that run for miles. I work in London but glad to get home at night.
About 45 minuets drive from the cottage.

Fulham76

Milton Keynes.
London 50 mins straight down the M1 or about 35 mins on the train.
One of Europes biggest shopping centres, plenty of bars / restaurants & a top theatre. Some really good schools as well. The secondary school near me is apparently in the top 20 in the country. Loads of lakes, rivers & parks & the best road system in the country.
£275k budget will get you a decent place.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Cheers. Had a look, Ruislip looks a bit pricey for what you can get for that money, nice place though. Milton keys has some options what we are after in that price range by the looks of it. Watford, I went out with a girl there 12 years ago, she went a bit nuts when we split up, so vowed never to go go back. Thanks all.

Airfix

What are you aiming to get for your 275k?

stevehawkinslidingtackle

3 bed house mate. detached or semi, could get that near where I used to go school Barming/Maidstone area, Kent, just wondered if there was any recommended places that have passed me by in my 10years being out of touch

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

mungos beans

Ashford surrounding areas mate. Its the garden of england here.i live 15 mins away from ashford in a lovely small town  it takes me 40 mins on train to london.

Riversider

Anywhere in the Gu15 postcode would be ideal , good schools , good train links to London , and very easy to drive into town as well via the M3 or M4, took me a shade over half an hour last night to get to The Hammersmith Apollo ,
It's also an hour to get to the south coast from here so you've got the best of both worlds really !
Any other GU Whites on here ?

jarv

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Some good ideas , thanks. Surrounding Ashford , like Wye etc are a definite option. I wouldn't mind the Surrey side, but you get a lot more for your money in Kent. Off out to work now, any others I could look at when I get back, much appreciated. Cheers

jarv

I know you said you wanted to be near London but have you thought about other parts of the country> The Uk is full of really pleasant small towns with lots for a healthy development for children.
How about Scotland? I am considering retiring back home in a few years, having been away for 26 years. 275k can buy a very nice detached house right on the waterfront in a good town. That is where I will be looking, although I have to say I am from the west of Scotland.
I have been researching different areas for a while now. Also, have several friends who have moved north (Yorkshire, Lancs, Fife etc) in recent years and love it.

Airfix

You could probably get a 3-bed semi in the Farncombe area of Godalming (where I live). 45 minutes from Waterloo (3 stops), within a spit of the A3, plenty of green, open spaces, lovely market town, good schools (so I am led to believe - we don't have kids).

I can make it to Putney station inside an hour for FFC too.

Riversider

Quote from: jarv on October 20, 2013, 12:40:32 PM
who did you see at Hammersmith Apollo?
Paul Weller ,really good night, BUT, the sound quality was abysmal !

Riversider

Quote from: Airfix on October 20, 2013, 01:08:03 PM
You could probably get a 3-bed semi in the Farncombe area of Godalming (where I live). 45 minutes from Waterloo (3 stops), within a spit of the A3, plenty of green, open spaces, lovely market town, good schools (so I am led to believe - we don't have kids).

My best mate lives in Farncombe, opposite the big farm you've got there, (Losely ? )

I can make it to Putney station inside an hour for FFC too.

Vinnieffc

I recently sold my 3 bed in Ealing and bought a 5 bed in Bexleyheath, Kent. Only 35 mins into Victoria (my missus does the commute to work). Safe town and 20 minutes into the rurals.. You would easily get a 3 bed within your budget and the schools are quite good too. Pubs aren't up to much but it's give and take and depends on your tastes. Google Bexleyheath and PM me if you need more specifics.. Oh and buying my 5 bed also left me mortgage free - great value for money..Cheers

The Equalizer

Don't come to Chessington. It's a poo hole.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Supermitch

Quote from: Riversider on October 20, 2013, 12:35:45 PM
Anywhere in the Gu15 postcode would be ideal , good schools , good train links to London , and very easy to drive into town as well via the M3 or M4, took me a shade over half an hour last night to get to The Hammersmith Apollo ,
It's also an hour to get to the south coast from here so you've got the best of both worlds really !
Any other GU Whites on here ?

Yep, I'm in GU18.  Agree re the whole area being very pleasant to live in.  Some parts are ridiculously expensive for property, with quite a differential between adjoining towns / villages.

Southcoastffc

Just an observation - While there are many nice places being mentioned, it seems to me that several are unlikely to meet the £275k for 3 bedrooms criterion. Good luck though.

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.