more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (21/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 21, 2013, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace - Fulham Preview: Cottagers boosted by return of key trio

Meanwhile the hosts have lost seven of their last eight games in all competitions but could welcome Yannick Bolasie back into the fold after he made a return against Liverpool

Fulham head into Monday's clash at Crystal Palace boosted by the availability of Scott Parker, Aaron Hughes and Maarten Stekelenburg.

Parker (calf) has missed one game, Hughes (thigh) has been sidelined since the end of August and Stekelenburg (shoulder) sustained his injury on the opening day of the Premier League season.

A 1-0 victory over Stoke prior to the international break eased the pressure on Jol after a section of Fulham fans voiced their frustration at a perceived lack of progress under the Dutchman following a 2-1 home defeat against Cardiff during the previous weekend.

Jol will be confident of building on the Stoke success following the return of three players who could go straight into his starting XI for a fixture that Fulham have fared well in down the years.

Palace have won just two of the last 19 league encounters between the two clubs, and are desperately searching for a victory to kick-start their campaign.

Ian Holloway's men are marooned in the bottom three without a clean sheet this term and struggling after losing seven of the last eight games in all competitions, a run punctured by a 3-1 victory win over Sunderland at the end of August, the club's only victory in 2013-14.

A spirited second-half display in the 3-1 defeat at Liverpool a fortnight ago, however, ensures Holloway remains as positive as ever, although he knows his team need to turn performances into points.

He told the Croydon Advertiser: "We know we need to get a win and there is nothing wrong at Palace that a good three points will put right.

"We have to face up that what we have been doing is not good enough, although a lot of it has not been far off.

"I thought we played really well at Liverpool and showed all sorts of character, but we need points on the board."

Holloway has a selection dilemma surrounding winger Yannick Bolasie, who made his first appearance of the season as a second-half substitute at Anfield against Liverpool after overcoming a hamstring injury.

Palace captain Patrick McCarthy is back in training following a groin problem that has kept him out since the end of April, although it remains to be seen whether he is fit enough yet to return to first-team action.

Long-term injury casualty Glenn Murray (knee) is still out and is on course for a December comeback.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/109281/crystal-palace-vs-fulham/preview

WhiteJC

Fulham ace claims Jol is one of best bosses... and he's worked with Man Utd legend

Fulham winger Kieran Richardson has touted Martin Jol as one of football's great managers and claims he should not be held to blame for the Cottagers' poor start to the season.

Fulham stand 17th in the Premier League table, level on points and goal difference with Norwich who occupy the third relegation place, but Richardson believes Jol will turn the club's on-field fortunes around.

"He's got great man-management skills, he's a great coach, his understanding of the game is top draw," Richardson said.

"Since I've been in the game he's definitely up there as one of the best managers I've been around. He's managed top clubs. What initially attracted me to Fulham was the manager.

"I do believe and think all the players believe he is definitely the manager to take us forward. He's under a little bit of pressure at the moment, but a win on Monday and we're on 10 points and we're mid-table and everyone's silent.

"We're the ones out there playing the game. Obviously we want to do as well as we can for Fulham, for the manager and the fans."

Those fans may well be losing patience with their club, as Fulham's last outing - a 1-0 win at home to Stoke before the international break - brought only their second victory in the league this season.

Richardson said: "We know [their] frustration and we want to do as well as we can. We don't want to sit on the bottom of the league.

"With the players we have in our team we shouldn't be there. No game in the Premiership is given, you have to work hard for it. We had a good win in the last game and hopefully we can beat [Crystal] Palace on Monday."

The former Manchester United player believes that were it not for a dose of bad luck, Fulham could be sitting further up the table.

Richardson said: "It's early in the season, some results we just missed out. At Newcastle away they scored in the last minute. We've been a bit unlucky in that sense. But hopefully it will turn around for us now and we can crack on."

A loss at Crystal Palace on Monday would add to the pressure on Dutchman Jol.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan is due in London next weekend when the American's NFL team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, travel to Wembley for their fixture with the San Francisco 49ers.

Khan has indicated he is willing to be patient with manager Jol.

"I think we feel upset. I feel I've let him down," Richardson said.

"He brought me to the club and I don't want to see him get the sack. As a manager, I think his credentials are right up there so I don't see the need to get rid of this manager."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_ace_claims_jol_is_one_of_best_bosses_and_he_s_worked_with_man_utd_legend_1_2908452

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace Vs Fulham Preview | Team News, Facts & Key Men

The Monday night football game this week will see Fulham travel to Selhurst Park to take on Crystal Palace in a London derby. The teams are only separated by two places, as Palace lie second from bottom in 19th and Fulham find themselves in 17th place. Both teams have not started the season in the best of form, which means both teams will feel they are in with a chance of beating each other. Palace have only three points, with their only win coming at home to bottom of the table Sunderland. Fulham are four points better off and won their last game against Stoke City, but the Cottagers will be wary that a Palace win will see them close the gap to one point. Both Managers will be desperate for wins to ease the pressure on themselves.

Team News

Palace currently have a few injury concerns. Their long term absentees are club captain Paddy McCarthy (Groin), Full-back Jack Hunt (Ankle) and last year's top scorer Glenn Murray (Knee). The Eagles are also without midfielders Kagisho Dikgacoi (Hamstring) and Jonathan Williams (Ankle). Welsh defender Danny Gabbidon faces a late fitness test to make the squad.

Fulham will hand late fitness tests to Scott Parker, Aaron Hughes, Ashkan Dejagah and Dimitar Berbatov, with the latter likely to feature after getting over a knock. Goalkeeper Martin Steklenburg may return ahead of schedule, but it will be touch and go after he sustained a shoulder injury during the first game of the season.

Interesting Facts

The teams have only met twice in the Premier League era. This came the last time that the Eagles were in the top flight during the 2004/05 season. In the home fixture Palace won 2-0, but lost 3-1 in the corresponding away fixture. Before that Palace had lost all three of their previous league meetings with Fulham. Palace have conceded in every game this season and only the bottom team Sunderland have conceded more. Both teams have scored the same amount of goals: five. Palace have conceded four more (13) than Fulham's nine. Dwight Gayle and Darren Bent are both top scorers for their respective clubs with two goals.

Key Men

Palace's top scorer this season is Dwight Gayle. Gayle was signed in the summer from Peterborough for over £6 million. Despite not starting every game, Gayle has managed to score twice which is some achievement for a player who had previously never played in the Premier League. Gayle has scored one of his two clear cut chances. He also managed to score a memorable goal at Anfield in the Eagles' last fixture. With a shooting accuracy of 33%, it is clear Gayle is still getting used to the Premier League, but his goals could prove important in helping Palace to stay up.

When he arrived last season, Dimitar Berbatov instantly became the club's talisman. Surprisingly, Berbatov is yet to score or assist a goal in the Premier League this season. The Bulgarian has missed both of his two clear cut chances, which goes against his usual cool character in front of goal. Fulham fans may feel there is a possible correlation between Berbatov's lack of attacking contribution and Fulham's league place. If the Cottagers are to move up the table, Berbatov's contribution will be vital. Berbatov's total last season, of fifteen goals and a clear-cut chance conversion rate of 59% show what he is capable of, and Martin Jol will hope to that his talisman's form will improve starting on Monday night against Crystal Palace.

Prediction

With both teams desperate for a win, this could be quite an open affair. The Eagles have not settled after they made fourteen signings in the summer. Ian Holloway is yet to find his best eleven, something he will need to do very soon if Palace are to have a chance of staying up. Fulham will want to pick up where they left off before the international break with another win. As Palace have conceded in every game, a score draw or Fulham win looks most likely. A 2-2 draw is my prediction for this one.

http://eplindex.com/42733/crystal-palace-fulham-match-preview.html?

WhiteJC

Why Fulham Offer Us A Chance To Capitalise On Others Mistakes

Morning all.

Usually, a Saturday spent in front of a television as results come in from around the country could be described as a form of emotional torture, but thankfully, as a direct consequence of our game not taking place until Monday, yesterday passed without the customary cries of anguish and bitten fingernails.

Of all the teams deemed to be in danger of slipping into a battle to avoid the Premier League trapdoor with us, only two were able to gain a point, whilst everyone else fell to defeat. The early kick-off saw Newcastle battle for a hard-earned 2-2 draw at home to Liverpool, despite being reduced to 10 men during the first half. Following that, Norwich, Cardiff, Hull, Sunderland and West Ham all found themselves on the end of losses, with Stoke and West Brom playing out a goalless draw.

Of all the defeats mentioned, Hull were the only side who managed to hold their opponents to a winning margin of a single goal, as the others combined to concede 15 and score just three collectively, highlighting a genuine gulf in class between some. It was a particularly unpleasant afternoon for Gus Poyet, whose new look Sunderland side capitulated at the Liberty Stadium, losing 4-0, despite going into the half-time break all square.

Given the difficulties faced by all of our rivals, a victory tomorrow night could have a real galvanising effect on morale going forward. It's no secret that our opening seven fixtures have been extremely tough, but with games like tomorrow's grouped with games against Norwich, Hull, West Ham and Cardiff before the midpoint of December, there is definitely a case to made for momentum carrying us up the table.

A win would take us to within one point of Norwich and Fulham and two away from Stoke, West Ham and Cardiff, making the overall outlook far brighter than it has been since the opening day of the campaign. Football, for all of its infuriating aspects, does on occasion provide you with a genuine chance of redemption. Tomorrow night is unquestionably such an occasion.

Of course, any lengthy gap in competitive sport leads to a sepia-tinted view of your chosen team's capabilities, with the international break having gone some way to deadening our frustration as supporters. Memories of defensive mistakes, misplaced passes and chances squandered are replaced by thoughts of happier times, and with them, hopes of imminent success return.

It's not as if we're under any illusions over the size of the task facing us, far from it, but in a division where the vast majority of fixtures could be looked upon as a daunting prospect, we must take advantage of the obvious opportunities to get points on the board whenever they arrive. Fulham will have felt much the same way as we did watching yesterday's results filtering in. It's up to us to ensure that they don't leave Selhurst Park with a similar sense of relief tomorrow.

http://hltco.org/2013/10/20/why-fulham-offer-us-a-chance-to-capitalise-on-others-mistakes/?

WhiteJC

FANS VIEW: What can Crystal Palace expect from Fulham?

Fulham fan Dave Page gives a frank view on his team's poor start to the season
What do you make of Fulham's start to the season? In all honesty, it has been a pretty awful start for Fulham. Unfortunately, with an aged team we really needed to make a strong start to attract some youth into the club in January. For whatever reason this hasn't materialised and it's left a thin, old squad, teetering on the brink of the relegation zone. I am just concerned that many of these older players will not have the same passion to dig themselves out of it that newly promoted or younger squads would, as per QPR last season.

Home results against Cardiff and West Brom were particularly disappointing. We need to have 20-plus points by Christmas otherwise we could be really struggling. It's a very "Fulham-ish" cynical point of view but even the most diehard fan would struggle to see any positives so far, bar the away win at Sunderland.

Are the fans still behind Martin Jol? Unfortunately Jol hasn't shown any particular tactical or transfer market nous since being at the club.

Roy Hodgson's time at the club was symbolised by a rock solid defence and almost unbeatable home record. Then, even though it pains me to say, Mark Hughes showed ambition and the ability to buy quality cheaply (Dembele, Kacaniklic etc). Jol, bar the Berbatov transfer which we didn't capitalise enough upon, watched our two top players walk and is yet to replace them. In turn his failure to acquire youth to add to our team has left us precarious.

We also should've been touted around the likes of Christian Eriksen – a player who Jol worked with – to at the very least show the transfer market that was the kind of player we were going to be linked with and attract other young players. I don't think he'd have ever gone to us over Spurs but to be linked with him would've shown ambition which would've appealed to younger players.

We'll need to find a gem or we'll need players to step up considerably for Jol to get back on track. Can you really see Berbatov, Bryan Ruiz, Bent and Abel Tarrabt fighting for him though? I like Martin (as most people seem to do that I speak to) but unfortunately it's a results driven business and we aren't getting them.

Question is, would another manager get this under-performing team playing any better? Doubtful. I think our standout player has still got to be Berbatov but Pajtim Kasami and Kacaniklic are our two most exciting prospects and ones that not many will be familiar with. Kasami, especially, is industrious and always shows loads of energy buzzing just behind Berbatov.

What are your memories of Selhurst Park? Corrugated iron stands. Passionate fans. Cheerleaders. Pies not from Harrods. Glad all over. Andy Johnson.

If you could sign one player from Palace, who would it be? Mile Jedinak – He's a kind of Fulham player who gives 100 per cent and breaks up play well.

Prediction?
Fulham get an early goal and then sink back inviting Palace into the game and Chamakh wins an 89th minute penalty. Place goes crazy. Fulham fans leave dejected.

Read more: http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/story-19953886-detail/story.html?#ixzz2iKtzVKXi
Follow us: @thisiscroydon on Twitter | thisiscroydontoday on Facebook

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Crystal Palace v Fulham (20:00 BST)

Fulham fans are still chasing Martin Jol despite his side's late win over Stoke in their last game. That was a big result for Jol and I still think he is a good manager. Hopefully his job is safe too.

I read an interview with Cottagers owner Shahid Khan recently and I liked what he said. He owns the Jackonsville Jaguars NFL franchise in the US too, so he knows how unpredictable sport can be.

I think he knows Jol is a good manager too. Khan did not appoint Jol, which is always a problem, but I am hopeful he will just leave him in there.

Palace have lost four games in a row now, and I think Fulham will make it five.

Eagles boss Ian Holloway is a good manager but his problem is that all of his players need to play well in order to get any sort of positive result.

It seems like every week at the moment one section of their team is letting them down.

That could happen to them in the Championship and they could get away with it - they might not concede. In the Premier League, you get punished.

Lawro's prediction: 1-2

Reid's prediction: "Palace are on a run of four defeats but at home I think this is the moment we bounce back. I think it is going to be a tightly fought game and it is going to be 3-2 to Palace."

Clifton's prediction: 1-0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24552155

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace V Fulham

By Conor McNamara
BBC Radio 5 live

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Selhurst Park Date: Monday, 21 October

Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway has no fresh injury concerns ahead of Monday's match with Fulham.

Yannick Bolasie is pushing for a first league start, having come off the bench in the 3-1 defeat at Liverpool before the international break.

Fulham midfielder Scott Parker could return from a calf problem.

Defender Aaron Hughes has also returned to full training following a thigh injury, while Adel Taarabt is fit after the recent international matches.

MATCH PREVIEW
It has been nine seasons since this particular London derby was last contested, and this is only the second time ever that both clubs have been in the top flight during the same season.

Ian Holloway's return to the Premier League with Palace is proving to be a slow-burner compared to the early stages of his return with Blackpool three years ago.

Crystal Palace have lost six of their seven league games so far - including the last four in a row - representing the club's worst run of form for three years.

Back in 2010, Blackpool took 10 points from their opening seven Premier League games and were still in the top half of the table by January of that campaign.

Despite the good start, ultimately that season still ended in relegation for the Tangerines. So Holloway will be more aware than most of the endurance needed for the clichéd marathon, rather than sprint, that lies ahead.

Fulham have been slow to find their stride this season. A run of one point from five games had been piling pressure on Martin Jol. However the victory against Stoke last time out made the international break a more tranquil period than it might have been.

The new Fulham owner Shahid Khan is tentatively backing his manager: "Martin is a very experienced coach. He's a good guy. We've gotten off to a start nobody's happy with, whether you're a fan or you're Martin. We want to do better but I'm not the kind of person who's going to act on impulse."

One man that Fulham do hope will be acting on impulse is Darren Bent; the striker grabbed the winner against Stoke and looks to be finding his feet at his new club. Bent has scored two of only five Premier League goals his side have managed this season.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
This is only the third top-flight fixture between the two clubs. Palace won 2-0 at home in the Premier League in October 2004 before losing 3-1 at Fulham on New Year's Day 2005.

That 2004 victory for Palace is their only home win in the last 10 attempts against Fulham (D5, L4).

A Fulham player has scored twice in three of the last four meetings between these sides (Andy Cole, Lee Clark and Luis Boa Morte).

Crystal Palace
The Eagles have lost six of their seven Premier League matches and failed to score in four of them.
Palace and Sunderland are the only two sides yet to keep a Premier League clean sheet this season.
They have had their goal frame struck on a league-high seven occasions this season.
Ian Holloway's side have lost all five games this season in which they conceded the opening goal.

Fulham
Fulham ended a barren run of one point from five matches with victory over Stoke in their last fixture.
Darren Bent's winning goal in that game came on his 250th Premier League appearance; he has scored 105 goals. Since 2008-09, only three players (Van Persie, Rooney and Lampard) have scored more goals than Bent (67).
Fulham's tally of five Premier League goals is the joint-second worst in the division after seven matches, behind Stoke.
Three of Fulham's five league goals this season have been scored by substitutes (Bent twice and Bryan Ruiz), more than any other side.
Martin Jol's side have failed to score in nine of their last 16 league away games, scoring just 11 goals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24516030

WhiteJC

Points From Palace

Steve Sidwell believes Fulham's win over Stoke City last time out has given the Whites a much-needed boost ahead of Monday night's trip to Crystal Palace.

The Whites travel to Selhurst Park for the live-on-Sky encounter looking to build on the morale-boosting victory over Stoke – Fulham's first in the league since the opening day of the season.

Martin Jol's men left it late against the Potters as Darren Bent struck in the 83rd minute to snatch the three points and give the Whites a welcome shot in the arm going into the international break.

"When the goal went in it was as if the Hammersmith End and all the people in the stands had sucked that ball in - the noise and the fans were brilliant," said Sidwell. "It [the win] was vital. We said before the game that if we didn't get the points that were required then it would be a long couple of weeks. So we put ourselves under pressure straight away to get the three points and we knew that it would lift the place and in training there would be a better tempo.

"It's the biggest league in the world where every game and every point is vital. Every team sets their stall out to have a good start and get points on board early because you don't want to be down at the bottom always looking up. It's pressure but we have to deal with it, we're going to have some tough fixtures now and we have to keep focused."

Promoted from the Championship last term, Palace have made something of a sticky start to the new season themselves, picking up one win and suffering six defeats from their opening seven games.

Sidwell, though, is expecting a tricky test against Ian Holloway's Eagles, stating: "I've seen them a couple of times. I watched the first game on TV against Tottenham Hotspur and I thought they were very unlucky not to get a result.

"It's one of those scenarios where they're always going to be the underdogs going into every game just because they've come up and the pressure is off. When the pressure is off you can enjoy it more and be more relaxed in your individual play. It's going to be a tough game, Selhurst Park is a tough place to go and hopefully we can go there and stick to a game plan that we've been working on and try to get the three points.

"Palace will be looking to pick up points, especially at home. It's vital to pick up points at home; that's why we have been disappointed so far this season, and the back end of last term, so they'll be looking to pick up points against us especially."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/20/points-from-palace?

WhiteJC

Can Berbatov and Bent Fire Fulham to Victory at Crystal Palace?

CRYSTAL PALACE v FULHAM 20:00; Selhurst Park (Monday)

The visit of Fulham already looks like a must-win for Palace if they are to escape relegation this season. The sole win achieved so far by Ian Holloway's team came against bottom-of-the-league Sunderland and it's only that result which keeps Palace off the foot of the table themselves.

Unfortunately have been a clear second best in every other match they've played this season and a vast improvement is needed for them to acquire the number of points necessary to stay up.

With goalscorers Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent up front Fulham should not be having the trouble they have been having scoring goals. The loss of Scott Parker to injury is inconvenient but really it's penetration in the final third where Martin Jol's men have been found wanting.

The victory at home to Stoke in their last match was huge, if not particularly merited and they'll be looking at a fixture like this as a realistic source of a rare away win.

What to watch out for: With both teams having managed only five goals each don't expect a goal-fest. The weight of importance on this match for both sides could lead to a stalemate.

Possible line-ups:

Palace – Speroni; Ward, Mariappa, Delaney, Moxey, Dikgacoi, Campaña, Jedinak, Puncheon, Chamakh, Gayle

Fulham – Stockdale; Riether, Senderos, Hangeland, Amorebieta, Ruiz, Karagounis, Sidwell, Duff, Berbatov, Bent

Recent form: Palace – LWLLLL; Fulham – LLDLLW

Prediction: 0-0

http://www.footymatters.com/articles/english-football/premier-league/premier-league-preview/can-berbatov-and-bent-fire-fulham-to-victory-at-crystal-palace/?

WhiteJC

Members' 20% Retail Discount!

Digital, Formation, and Fulhamites Members are reminded that they can take advantage of their 20% discount on all retail products - instore and online – until Monday's 9am deadline!*

Enjoy this fantastic offer today and make a saving on brand new collections such as the Fulham Fashion and Jeans ranges, as modelled by Kieran Richardson and David Stockdale.

Or you might choose to save 20% on adidas collections, such as all three 2013/14 Replica Kits, training wear, adidas leisure, or something from our ladies and kids ranges.

There are also brand new hats and scarves instore, so stock up today and get ready to cheer on the Whites this winter!

Order online now, or come and see us at the Stadium Store which is open until 4pm on Sundays. Don't delay as this offer is available for a limited time only.

*Offer open to Digital, Formation and Fulhamites Members only. Expires at 9am on Monday 21st October 2013. When purchasing online, log into your account, where discount will be applied automatically.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/20/members-20-per-cent-discount?

WhiteJC

Fulham in Hunt for Burnley Striker

Although we`re languishing just outside the drop zone ahead of our trip to Selhurst Park, to take on Crystal Palace, it appears that we are still an ambitious club.

According to the speculation in the Sunday tabloid press this morning, Fulham are looking to make a bid to bring the Burnley striker Danny Ings to Craven Cottage.

Ings, is starting to forge a reputation, at Turf Moor having recently earned a place in Gareth Southgate`s England U21 squad.

What remains to be seen however is whether Burnley will be interested in our £5 million bid or whether they are prepared to fend off any advances and hold on to their exciting youngster.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=335940#ixzz2iKwAeODr

WhiteJC

An Emotional Dempsey Return?

Could it be on the cards?

Now based back in his native America and on the books of the Seattle Sounders, it appears that our former favourite, Clint Dempsey, is eyeing up a Premier League return.

Reports suggest that Dempsey is seeking a return to these shore during the MLS close season and that amongst the three clubs said to be interested in Clint is the name of ours.

The article goes on to say that Clint will cast an eye over what offers are on the table with a view to going where, he feels, he`ll get the most games.

Would it be a good idea to bring the versatile Clint back or has he had his time at Craven Cottage?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=335943#ixzz2iKwLdUGS

WhiteJC

Holloway throws down gauntlet

Ian Holloway has challenged his Crystal Palace players to end the season above the Barclays Premier League relegation zone but has dismissed any suggestion that Monday's opponents Fulham will also be a part of the battle for survival.

The Eagles will start the game in 19th place in the table with the visiting Cottagers just two places above them after both have suffered following faltering starts to their respective campaigns.

But whilst Holloway would happily settle for a 17th-placed finish at the end of the season, he does not envisage Fulham fighting away at the foot of the table for much longer.

When asked if Martin Jol's side were part of the bottom four battle Holloway said: "That would be a bit of a disgrace to Fulham.

"For them they have had a mixed bag of results recently and then people were taking with a new owner and speculation grows.

"But Martin is a very shrewd cookie and they have got all sorts of players there. Scott Parker is fit again and when you look at it they are used to this division.

"I'm sure they will have much bigger aspirations than ourselves and the truth is we have got to try and finish first of the bottom four."

A 3-1 victory at home to bottom side Sunderland remains the only positive result so far this season for Palace, who have lost six of their seven Premier League fixtures.

Holloway admits his side need to improve but will not be writing them off this early in to the season.

"At the end of the day what we have been doing lately hasn't been good enough and we have got to do better," he said.

"That doesn't scare me, that is a fact and we have got to try and do that and do it very, very quickly.

"If this was the last game of the season then we are in the mire aren't we?

"But it isn't, we have got 31 left and have got to try and get some points and stay with the pack and try and grind some things out.

"At the moment we are in a bad run and things haven't gone our way but we have got to try and keep going.

"To be honest I think the group will respond to that because they are so newly-formed, it is no excuse but it is the fact, and we have to learn through adversity to get stronger."

Fulham travel to Selhurst Park buoyed by a late winner against Stoke before the international break.

Holloway wants his players to impress in front of their home fans and, although they have just three points on the board, has stressed to the supporters that they need to enjoy being back in the top flight.

"We have got to try and prepare to take on a team that won last week," he added.

"But we are at home and I want our fans to be in an upbeat mood and I'm sure whatever happens they will be because the effort the players give them and the amount of fanaticism they have make this a special place.

"We have seen some ups and downs and this is a major up, I know it feels different when you are not winning but you have got to get used to it, get ready for it and believe when all around you don't."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8982165/-?

WhiteJC

Now's the time to back Holloway-inspired Crystal Palace at 7/4
The Eagles head honcho has the credentials to motivate his side to victory over flimsy Fulham.

Throwing the form book out of the window and putting faith in man motivator Ian Holloway to instigate a 7/4 Crystal Palace victory in their must-win clash with Fulham looks the perfect punting plan at Selhurst Park.

The Eagles, who have only won once this season, are just shading favouritism over their visitors, who are backable at 17/10 and a stalemate available at odds of 11/5.

Holloway's effect in a must-win game should not be undervalued.

When the pressure cranks up on a team and a win is vital to their cause, there is no better man to have rallying the troops than the infectious Holloway, whose passion, determination and fiery nature has the knack of bringing the best out of players when it matters most.

Holloway may lack the tactical nous of a Jose Mourinho but one thing he specialises in is motivation.

Selhurst Park will be rocking under the floodlights and it's in these types of pressurised environment that Holloway thrives in.

Take for instance his 100% record in Championship play-off finals.

He successfully lit a fire within both Blackpool and Palace camps to embrace the big occasion at Wembley and they subsequently ran out victorious.

Fulham have failed to find the net in nine of their last 16 Premier League away games.

Although Palace haven't kept a clean sheet this season, Fulham's inability to consistently fire away from Craven Cottage should act as a confidence booster to the home faithful.

Even in west London the Cottagers have yet to find their goal-scoring form, having only mustered five goals in all their Premier League games this season and only scoring two or more in a single match twice in the last 15 league matches.

Eight of Palace's last 13 home wins have been by a margin of two or more goals.

When the south Londoners do find that winning feeling at Selhurst Park plenty of goals are usually on the menu.

In their only Premier League victory against Sunderland they smashed three past the woeful Mackems, highlighting the fact that when their attacking chemistry clicks they can be pretty ruthless.

With that in mind, backing the hosts to win 3-0 (25/1) and 3-1 (25/1) may prove to be a smart play.

Top bet: Crystal Palace to beat Fulham @ 6/4

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/nows-time-holloway-inspired-crystal-palace-74,46792.html?#sthash.Uo7EVthL.dpuf

WhiteJC

Jol unfazed by poor start

Fulham boss Martin Jol has offered encouraging words to his fans and those at Crystal Palace after both sides' poor start to the Barclays Premier League season.

The Cottagers are outside the relegation zone on goal difference only, while Ian Holloway's men have just four points from their first seven games.

Jol, however, believes early-season form is no indication of how a club will finish.

"Even when you're in the bottom three at Christmas it doesn't mean you will go down," he said, ahead of Monday's clash between the two teams at Selhurst Park.

"I remember Ian Holloway doing an unbelievable job at Blackpool. I think he was in the top eight at one stage four or five years ago and they still got relegated after Christmas.

"He played a different system, a very progressive 4-3-3 and he did it again with Crystal Palace. So I still feel that the man is doing a good job, but the results are not going for them.

"And hopefully Monday will be the same."

Of his own squad, Jol denied speculation morale is dipping in the dressing room.

"We've got a great team spirit, we've got new players in, I've got all these players, 80 per cent of the players are my players and the other players are here for at least two years, so there's no problem," he said.

"The only problem we have is we had an indifferent result against Cardiff, but Cardiff beat Manchester City as well. So they're all strong these teams.

"West Brom you know, we should have beaten them, they scored in the 93rd minute, they scored the equaliser and a week later they beat Man United away from home. I spoke to my friends and to other managers, and they all know that it's not easy to get results in the Premier League."

Scott Parker will make a welcome return to Fulham's midfield should he be fit, while Dimitar Berbatov is expected to line up having used the international break to get over the knock he picked up against Stoke.

But even with a stronger squad, Jol knows his side cannot travel to Selhurst Park believing the three points are guaranteed.

"They (Crystal Palace) need the points as well and it's the Barclays Premier League, so it will be difficult," he said.

"It's not easy to go away from home to play against these teams. But I think we've got the players and the quality to get the result."

Iranian international Ashkan Dejagah won't be rushed back in to the squad, though, despite playing more than an hour for his country against Thailand earlier in the week.

"I've got, as I said before, a few options on the flank, especially on that flank, so first he must be 100 per cent fit," Jol said.

"As soon as he's fit, and he wasn't until now because he had a big injury, then he'll be back in the squad."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8982224/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol expects tough test against Crystal Palace

Martin Jol: Fulham boss taking nothing for granted against Palace

Fulham manager Martin Jol has warned his players that they cannot travel to face Crystal Palace on Monday believing all three points are guaranteed.

The Cottagers are outside the relegation zone on goal difference only and travel to face Ian Holloway's men who have only four points from their first seven games.

"They (Crystal Palace) need the points as well and it's the Barclays Premier League, so it will be difficult," Jol said.

"It's not easy to go away from home to play against these teams. But I think we've got the players and the quality to get the result."

The Fulham boss does not believe that early-season form will be an indication of which club will be relegated from the Premier League.

"Even when you're in the bottom three at Christmas it doesn't mean you will go down," he said, ahead of the clash at Selhurst Park.

"I remember Ian Holloway doing an unbelievable job at Blackpool. I think he was in the top eight at one stage four or five years ago and they still got relegated after Christmas.

"He played a different system, a very progressive 4-3-3 and he did it again with Crystal Palace. So I still feel that the man is doing a good job, but the results are not going for them.

"And hopefully Monday will be the same."

Jol also denied speculation that morale is dipping in the Fulham dressing room following their poor start to the season.

"We've got a great team spirit, we've got new players in, I've got all these players, 80 per cent of the players are my players and the other players are

here for at least two years, so there's no problem," he added.

"The only problem we have is we had an indifferent result against Cardiff, but Cardiff beat Manchester City as well. So they're all strong these teams.

"I spoke to my friends and to other managers, and they all know that it's not easy to get results in the Premier League."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8982261/?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey could be in line for loan return in January with Fulham, Everton and old club Tottenham keen

There are plenty of options for the Seattle Sounders striker - and he could be in line for a return to England

Short-term return: Dempsey scored over 50 times in six years in England to become the Premier League's most-prolific American goalscorer
Getty

Clint Dempsey may be on his way back to England if he can secure a loan switch in January, writes Tom Hopkinson of the Sunday People.

Former clubs Fulham and Tottenham are ready to battle it out with Everton for the signature of the USA captain.

Spurs sold the 30-year-old midfielder to the Seattle Sounders in the summer and have first option on bringing him back for three months during the MLS close season.

Dempsey will weigh up his options in December and make a decision based on where he will get the most first-team games.

Everton have exercised the short-term loan option before, securing the services of Landon Donovan from LA Galaxy on separate spells in 2010 and 2012.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/clint-dempsey-could-line-loan-2472999#ixzz2iKyG7HlI
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace v Fulham: Back Bent to score and more action in the second half at Selhurst Park

Monday night sees two struggling teams duke it out at Selhurst Park for a precious three points. Luke Moore takes a look...

Crystal Palace v Fulham
Monday 21st October, 8pm
Live on Sky Sports 1

It's not been the best of starts for Crystal Palace this season. After returning to the top flight following an eight year absence, they've struggled to put any sort of consistent performances together and have recorded just one win, against the only team statistically worse than them in the division, Sunderland.

Fulham, three places and four points better off, have hardly set the world on fire either. A particularly bad run at home stretching back to April last season had sparked some talk of Martin Jol perhaps losing his job before long, talk that has slightly abated since a much-needed home win against Stoke and the welcome break of an international week gave him a bit of breathing room.

Match Odds

Neither of these teams are really on anything more that nodding terms with winning and this Match Odds market is a finely balanced one as a result.

It's really tough to back either of these teams with any confidence; Fulham can't score away from home and have a habit of conceding a lot of late goals and Palace have lost six in seven and failed to score in over half of their fixtures in the league this season.

All this points to a draw but these two have only managed one stalemate between them so far (Fulham's 1-1 with West Brom at Craven Cottage) and so that doesn't inspire confidence either. On balance, I'm leaving this market well alone.

To Score

Despite not starting regularly, Darren Bent is Fulham's top scorer this season with three goals. For all his faults mostly centred around his overall contribution, when he's given a chance Bent usually takes it and he'll certainly get chances against this generous Palace team that concedes around two goals per game on average.

He may not start, but he's been knocking on the door for a while now, and Dimitar Berbatov's late fitness test may mean that Martin Jol has no choice but to play him. Bent's worth backing at around 3.5 or above to score at any time.

Half With The Most Goals

I've touched on this earlier in the preview, but to reiterate, Fulham conceded a lot of late goals. The theories on why this happens usually centre around fitness and concentration, but for me it's because they don't defend from the front well enough. This puts the rearguard under a lot more mental and physical pressure than is necessary and results in mistakes and sloppiness late on through tiredness.

The majority of goals that Crystal Palace have been involved with (both scored and conceded) have also come in the second half, and for that reason a bet on most goals in the second half is a must. 2.08 is the price available currently, but expect that to lengthen slightly nearer to kick off tomorrow.

Bookings Odds

We're going to have the pleasure of watching some fairly combative players plying their trade at Selhurst Park on Monday night: Steve Sidwell, Scott Parker and Mile Jedinak all spring to mind. Yet Dimitar Berbatov has been booked twice this season as well, and Palace's front line striker Marouane Chamakh has been shown a yellow three times already this season.

Two more factors make this game likely to produce a lot of cards - the growing desperation to get points on the board and Lee Mason (who has shown 14 yellows and one red in four games) taking charge.

Back 45 Points and Over in the Bookings Odds market at the best available price.

Recommended Bets

Back Darren Bent to score at 3.5 or better
Back Second Half in Half With Most Goals at 2.08 or better
Back 45 Points and Over in Bookings Odds market at best available price

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/crystal-palace-v-fulham-back-bent-to-score-and-more-action-in-the-second-half-at-selhurt-park-201013-300.html?

WhiteJC

FYP Preview: Crystal Palace vs Fulham (21/10/2013)

Monday October 21st, 2013. Kick-off 8pm. Selhurst Park Stadium, South London.
Sky Sports 1 - 7.00pm

Team News

By Connor Winks

Paddy McCarthy is around three weeks away after about 400 years out injured. I would rate Parr and Thomas 50/50 while Delaney, Jedinak, KG and Gabbidon all took part in light training, however, I would expect Gabbidon and KG to be saved for Arsenal next Saturday. 

Fulham tend to play a narrow 4-2-3-1. They don't have a huge amount of pace in their team nor a lot of height, they rely on a hard work rate, solid defensive shape and moments of magic from their front four. They lined vs Stoke as Stockdale, Riether, Hangeland, Senderos, Amorebieta; Sidwell, Karagounis; Duff, Ruiz, Kasami; Berbatov.  However, the Cottagers have goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, Scott Parker and Kacaniklic to return and have Darren Bent, who scored the winner against Stoke and Adel Taraabt as other options to come in, so expect changes.

The big decisions for Martin Jol will be in goal, with Stockdale hoping to keep his place, although he endured a torrid time last season at Selhurst at the hands of Kevin Phillips in a 4-2 demolition of Hull. The other big decision will be Bent or Berbatov, with Bent scoring against Stoke and Berbatov unable to hit the heights of last season, Jol may go with the seasoned goal scorer we oh so nearly signed.

It should be a fantastic battle in the centre of the park with Jedinak and O'Keefe coming up against the equally combative Parker and Sidwell. This battle for possession could be crucial in the outcome of this match. Sticking Campana in there may be a good option to try and retain possession amidst the midfield frenzy.

Identifying a Fulham weakness is pretty simple; with left back being a real struggle. There options are Amorebieta, who is a natural centre back, Kieran Richardson, who is not a left back by trade and Matthew Briggs, who has struggled to acclimatise to the quality of the premier league. Getting the ball out to the right to either Kebe or Bolasie could be a real avenue of success for Palace. 

Best Performer: Sascha Riether 

Danger Man: Bryan Ruiz

Possible line-ups

PALACE

FULHAM

Eye on the opposition

By Jack Pierce

If two weeks without a Palace fixture wasn't enough, the powers at Sky are making us wait an extra 48 hours by sticking us on in the company of Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville on Monday Night Football.

Two men who seem to revel in their criticism of awful defending... analysing Palace? Oh dear. Carragher may well reach new levels of Scouse screech if we repeat our opening 45 minutes at Anfield.

Thankfully, we're up against a team we can take a game to - something we've not seen since Sunderland came to Selhurst on the last day of August.

Fulham, despite their win last time out against Stoke, are stuck in a rut. The beating of Stoke might have extended Martin Jol's stay of execution but the combination of a new owner and very indifferent league form may well lead to the end of the popular Dutchman's reign at Craven Cottage in the next few weeks.

A strike force better suited to an exhibition match explains where one problem lies for Jol. While the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Adel Taarabt and Bryan Ruiz have the potential to tear any defence apart with their natural abilities, it's fair to suggest they don't possess the sort of character you can necessarily rely upon on a cold Monday night in SE25.

Signing Berbatov, signed for £30m by Manchester United five years ago, for little more than £5m was a superb piece of business from Fulham last summer. His class and goalscoring ability added to what was already a fairly solid defensive unit which represented the legacies of Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes. At times last season, Fulham played some great stuff and Berbatov was the forerunner for some of their best football.

However, from back to front, Fulham don't look the same side as last term. Brede Hangeland is a fine example. Their captain has endured a very ordinary start to his season and Dwight Gayle should fancy his chances at exploiting the Norwegian's blatant lack of pace.

It was a Monday night match, live on TV against Fulham that kickstarted our last Premier League season and each and every Palace fan must be hoping this fixture has the same result and effect because we bloody need it. In October 2004, it was AJ and Aki who popped up with the goals. Nine years later, you could argue Dwight Gayle would play the AJ role but I'm not sure anyone could lay claim to the role of Aki. The Finn was one of a kind.

Give the likes of Berbatov and Ruiz space and Fulham will murder us but I trust Holloway enough to expect him to get our lot right up for the first match of the season under the lights and get stuck into Fulham. If we squeeze them in the middle of the park, the likes of Gayle and the fit again Bolasie should cause their rather aged back line all sorts of trouble.

Such is the pressure of the Premier League, whichever manager loses out on Monday night can expect a strong word or two in their ear from their respective chairman. If Holloway has a bit longer to turn things around, a defeat for Fulham may well end Martin Jol's tenure at The Cottage.

You know what? I think we'd get over it.

Blast from the Past

Way, way back in 1969, before Palace were the Eagles and just around Kevin Phillips' 35th birthday, South London's finest were on the verge of promotion to the first division for the first time ever in their (at the time) 64 year history. A penultimate game of the season at Selhurst with Fulham was all that stood in the way of Palace and top flight football. Having won six from eight games in March (busy schedule!) to drag themselves into second spot behind Derby Palace just needed a win against the already relegated Cottagers.

Being Palace, they went 2-0 down at half-time and it looked like they' throw it away. But a brilliant second half comeback with goals from Steve Kember and Mark Lazarus dragged the Glaziers level. Then came Cliff Taylor's moment. Jackson riffled the ball in after a surging run forward from Roger Hoy in a crazy 18 minutes from first goal to third. It was classic Bert Head; the Glaziers gaffer wanted games to be a "furious kind of fun". He got that right! Although he wasn't even there on the day - he was scouting players in Scotland - he never went anywhere else to do so - assistant George Petchy took charge on the day. The Palace players celebrated by stripping down to their pants in the directors box (right) and hurling the kit into the sea of fans below. Iconic stuff.

Stat attack

Provided by Palace Stats

Crystal Palace have won 11, drawn 14 and lost 16 games against Fulham in all competitions.
Fulham have won five, drawn seven and lost seven games against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.
The Eagles last lost four games in a row last season between 18th August & August 28th against Watford, Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Preston.
The Cottagers have scored 23 goals against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park whilst conceding 29.
Crystal Palace have scored three and conceded four goals at Selhurst Park so far this season.
Fulham have only scored one goal away from home in the league so far this season whilst conceding three.
Mile Jedinak has completed 270 passes so far this season whilst Fulham's top passer has completed 244.
Crystal Palace have scored two and conceded five goals in the first half compared to four and ten in the second.
Fulham's Kasami has made 16 successful tackles so far this season whilst Mile Jedinak has completed ten more with 26.
Crystal Palace have failed to score in four games so far this season; only ten more are required to match last seasons total.
The Eagles last lost a home eight o'clock kick-off in March 2010 against Leicester City who were 1-0 winners.
Since Crystal Palace last lost a home eight o'clock kick-off they have won 12 and drawn five games; scoring 32 goals and conceding 13.

Prediction
Palace need a win. Oh lordy, lordy do Palace need a win. Especially with results going our way at the weekend and Sunderland, Cardiff, Hull and West Ham all losing. Holloway claims it isn't a must win game but even he must admit anything other than defeat would be disappointing. The Eagles haven't lost a midweek home game for more than three years (jinxed it now!) and with a vocal home support under those legendary Selhurst floodlights they won't have a better chance. Putting out optimistic hats on we're going for a 3-1 Palace win!

http://www.fiveyearplanfanzine.co.uk/news/4587-fyp-preview-crystal-palace-vs-fulham-21-10-2013.html?

WhiteJC

Cottagers to shoot down Eagles

Chris Hammer is backing Fulham to pick up three important points from their trip to Crystal Palace on Monday night.

Fulham can pick up a crucial victory on Monday night

Crystal Palace v Fulham (2000 BST)

It's fair to say Crystal Palace have started the season as badly as we expected and as things stand Sunderland look the only danger to our hefty pre-season wager on the Eagles finishing bottom.

A measly haul of three points from the opening seven games sees them lie four adrift of safety already, with just the home victory over the Black Cats preventing them from propping up the table.

It doesn't take a genius to work out why Ian Holloway's side are struggling to cope in the top flight - their attack lacks any kind of cutting edge while they're shipping far too many goals at the back.

Along with Sunderland, Palace are one of the only two sides yet to keep a clean sheet this season and they couldn't even keep out League One outfit Bristol City during their shock Capital One Cup second-round defeat back in August.

Last time out the Eagles found themselves 3-0 down inside 38 minutes as Liverpool ran them ragged at Anfield but it really should have been a much wider margin of victory as the Reds decided to take their foot off the gas having spurned numerous chances.

At the other end of the pitch, Palace have managed only one goal in their last four games since the 3-1 victory over Sunderland and it's not as if anyone can even say they've created plenty of chances and just been unlucky inside the box.

I did mention in my outright relegation preview that Derby's lowest points record haul of 11 might even be at risk. So far I've seen little to suggest otherwise.

On Monday night they host a Fulham side who are one of the four sides on seven points but arrive at Selhurst Park on the back of a morale-boosting 1-0 victory over Stoke - their first since the opening day of the season.

Martin Jol's celebration on the touchline when Darren Bent netted what proved to be the 83rd-minute winner emphasised the pressure he must have been feeling before later branding the victory as "unbelievably important".

The Dutchman is confident about his future at Craven Cottage despite his side's precarious position but he'll certainly need a few more good results to convince everyone else considering his 'sack race' odds are currently 4/1 with Sky Bet.

However disappointing the Cottagers' results have been so far, they can at least point to a couple of hard luck stories to explain their plight unlike the Eagles.

They conceded a stoppage-time goal in their agonising 1-1 home draw with West Brom last month and suffered the same fate again two weeks later against Cardiff although this time it 'only' cost them a point rather than two.

Nevertheless, had they held on for a victory and a draw then the league table would be telling a slightly different story and perhaps one more accurate to their standing in terms of quality.

In terms of team news, Scott Parker could make a welcome return to Jol's squad having been sidelined with a calf problem while Adel Taarabt has been declared fit after the recent international matches..

All things considered, I feel Fulham are an appealing price of 17/10 to pour more misery on Palace and give their own prospects another shot in the arm.

Opta stats:

Crystal Palace are one of only two sides yet to keep a clean sheet in the Barclays Premier League this season (alongside Sunderland)

Fulham have won four and lost just one of their last six league meetings with the Eagles.

Fulham have lost more points thanks to goals conceded in the final five minutes than any other side this term (four).

Verdict: Crystal Palace 0 Fulham 2

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/8979747/-?