more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (24/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 24, 2013, 07:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

You're my No 1! Jol backs Stekelenburg over Stockdale in battle for Fulham spot

Fulham manager Martin Jol has told David Stockdale: Maarten Stekelenburg's my No 1 keeper.

The Dutch international suffered a shoulder injury on his debut against Sunderland in August, which has kept him out for two months.

Stockdale has impressed in his absence, but was dropped to the bench for last night's 4-1 win at Crystal Palace after Stekelenburg returned to fitness.

Safe hands: Fulham keeper Maarten Stekelenburg is back in the team after injury

Keeper conundrum: Jol has decided to restore Stekelenburg to Fulham's starting XI

Jol said: 'Maarten came to us and we paid more money for him than for other players, beside Bryan Ruiz a couple of years ago.

'I didn't buy him to be on the bench, you know what I mean?

'He did very well when he started, saved a couple of points against Sunderland.

'Stockdale did well, but Maarten was fit for the last two weeks and showed that he was fit and that he could play again.

'I asked him if he could play and he said 'yes'. I had a little word with Stockdale and of course he isn't pleased but that is the decision I made.'

Blow: David Stockdale has to play second fiddle to Stekelenburg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2472012/Martin-Jol-backs-Maarten-Stekelenburg-battle-Fulham-keeper-spot.html#ixzz2icShicDD
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Dispelling The Myth Of Momentum In Football After Fulham Defeat

Morning all.

Having allowed the dust to settle somewhat on our 4-1 defeat at home to Fulham on Monday, I can't say I feel any different in my assessment of our performance. Usually, a period of quiet reflection will lead to flashes of optimism but as of yet, the general frustration I felt during the second half continues to dominate any thoughts I have on the game.

The most infuriating part of the whole experience, arose from the impact both of Fulham's first two goals had on our morale, turning us from a side who looked desperate to impress, into a group who were left aimlessly searching for some sign of a spark from the resumption of the game following the half-time break. Whilst no team would expect to be hit with two strikes of such quality in the same 45 minute spell, the attitude we displayed during the second half demonstrated a lack of belief in our own powers of recovery, rather than an issue with the quality the squad possesses.

Just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that the pattern within which the goals were scored during the first half was completely turned on its head. Had Steve Sidwell rocketed his shot into the roof of Speroni's net in the opening minute, to be followed by Kasami's goal some 25 minutes later, only for our presence in the game to grow steadily after, leading to Mariappa grabbing his goal six minutes prior to the interval, we would have gone into half-time buoyed by the possibility of a comeback rather than bemoaning our luck at somehow going in behind.

However you approach the remaining half, the scoreline reads the the same way, with a single goal separating the two sides. Of course, having already held the lead, it's only natural for the players to feel deflated, but it is the job of the manager and his coaching staff is to dispense with the idea of momentum and focus on the facts, empowering the players to emerge from the tunnel invigorated and hungry for more.

Although it is an aspect of the game which is discussed and referenced frequently by those paid to analyse the game, the importance of momentum remains, for the most part, a product of imagination for those most willing to be seduced by it. The idea behind such factors holding any real significance falls neatly into line with the infinite mentions of "fate" in sporting circles. In truth, both remain excuses for mental weakness and a lack of skill or appropriate preparation.

With any truly successful sporting institution or individual, there will be a mental toughness working perfectly alongside their abilities, to provide the mental backbone which allows them to flourish. No one has ever been good enough to coast through the sporting calendar in any given discipline without having to adjust to numerous setbacks, with the mindset they adopt during the difficult moments setting the tone for their response, our current troubles demand an overall reaction along broadly similar lines.

With every loss adding further weight to the claims that we stand no chance of survival in this division, it is imperative that we display a greater level of resilience than we have since August. Regardless of Ian Holloway's media friendly persona, the trend which has seen us collapse in games against Swansea, Southampton and Fulham leaves huge questions needing to be answered in relation to his motivational methods. Unless there is a dramatic improvement soon, it feels as though the reward of Premier League football will become a dark cloud hanging over our heads.

It's great to be involved with some of the world's truly elite talents, but unless we can remain competitive, there is relatively little enjoyment to take away from the experience. Something needs to change.

http://hltco.org/2013/10/22/dispelling-the-myth-of-momentum-in-football-after-fulham-defeat/?

WhiteJC

December Games

Following a week of exclusive access to Season Ticket Holders and Members, tickets for our three home games this December are now on General Sale.

The Whites face Tottenham Hotspur under the floodlights on Wednesday the 4th (8pm), Aston Villa travel to the Cottage on Sunday the 8th (1.30pm) and last season's Barclays Premier League runners up Manchester City are our guests on Saturday the 21st (3pm).

Supporters can purchase up to four tickets for the Spurs and City fixtures, and six for the Villa match.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/december-games?

WhiteJC

Giorgos' Journey

Now in his 18th year as a professional footballer, Giorgos Karagounis has quite a story to tell. From humble beginnings in Greece to strutting his stuff in the centre of the park in SW6, it's been a remarkable journey.

Glugging from a sports drink, Giorgos Karagounis settles back in his chair and reflects on a fine debut season in England. Despite his, how shall we say, advancing years, the man from the sunshine of Greece slotted straight into life at the Cottage. Arriving on a free transfer in September 2012 after departing Panathinaikos, the veteran would go on to surprise many with his youthful exuberance on the pitch - as testified by his 28 appearances for the Whites in all competitions last term.

"I think it was a good season and a great experience for me," he told Fultime. "Compared to Greece, Italy and Portugal, football over here is played in better grounds and there's a great atmosphere at the games. The Premier League is most certainly the best in the world.

"What this league offers you, you can't find anywhere else. The organisation, the grounds and the facilities that each team has allows you to play under the best circumstances every week. Playing over here, there are no excuses for not preparing well in your preparation for a game.

"I wouldn't call it a culture shock but it's hugely different. The whole set-up is far more organised here - there's no comparison really. And how English people see football generally is vastly different."

While some of the more skilful players in the world strut their stuff in this country's top flight, Karagounis has eased himself into the hustle-and-bustle side of the Premier League with something of an old-school English style.

"Yes, I do like the way my game has fitted in here," he said. "On many occasions the referees don't stop the games and the matches have good pace and rhythm. That kind of football suits my style and I like it very much over here."

To read the full interview with Giorgos, as well as in-depth discussion from Shahid Khan, Martin Jol, Darren Bent, Adel Taarabt, Luis Boa Morte, Tony Gale and Josh Pritchard, be sure to pick up your copy of Issue 42 of Fultime magazine. There's also the chance to win a copy of Football Manager 2014 and FIFA 14.

The traditional printed version of Fultime is sent to all our Season Ticket Holders for free, while the digital edition – with added video content – now goes to our Members.

For non-Season Ticket Holders and non-Members, Fultime is also available to buy instore or online for £3.50. It can also be downloaded as an App from Thursday. Priced £2.49, the App is available via Apple's Newsstand or Pocketmags.

For just £30, Digital Members get a host of benefits, including the thrice-yearly Fultime magazine. Click the button below for full details.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/karagounis-fultime-plug?

WhiteJC

Fulham go on rampage, shatter Crystal Palace

Pajtim Kasami scored a contender for goal of the season as Fulham swept to a 4-1 victory over fellow strugglers Crystal Palace on Monday.

Martin Jol's side had suffered an early setback at Selhurst Park when Adrian Mariappa headed Palace into the lead.

But Switzerland midfielder Kasami, born in Macedonia to an Albanian family, illuminated a dank evening in south-east London with a majestic volleyed equaliser from an acute angle that conjured up memories of Marco van Basten's famous strike for Holland against the USSR in the final of the 1988 European Championships.

Palace never recovered from Kasami's first half wonder-goal and Steve Sidwell produced a fine goal of his own to put Fulham ahead before the interval.

Dimitar Berbatov and Philippe Senderos piled on the misery for Palace with second half goals as Fulham secured only their third Premier League win of the season.

It was the first time Fulham had scored four goals in an away Premier League fixture since a 4-1 win at Newcastle in November 2004.

"To be honest I have never scored a better goal," Kasami said.

"I ran into the space and the pass was perfect.

"It was an unbelievable goal and I am very pleased."

The victory lifted the Cottagers to 14th place and, given the broad smile worn by Fulham's owner Shahid Khan as he looked on from the directors' box, it may also have eased the pressure on under-fire boss Jol.

"The goal we conceded was sickening but we responded well and it was a fantastic Pajtim Kasami goal with his wrong foot," Jol said. "It was better than people think because he had to control the ball on his chest and then put it in the other corner.

"Marco van Basten's goal was totally different and you can't compare the two, but this one was better!"

http://www.asianage.com/football/fulham-go-rampage-shatter-crystal-palace-705?

WhiteJC

Italian outfit line up Berba bid

Serie A outfit Lazio are believed to be considering a January swoop for Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian striker is out of contract at the end of the season and during the summer his agent Emil Danchev stated Berbatov intended to see out his deal at Craven Cottage, following links with Russian outfit Zenit St Petersburg. Lazio, however, are keen to bring in a new frontman as German veteran Miroslav Klose is expected to retire at the end of the season. The Italian club have been tipped to make a move in the January transfer window and Fulham may well accept a cut-price bid due to Berbatov's contract situation, although a move at the end of the season when the 32-year-old will be a free agent seems more likely. Berbatov would be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with the Biancocelesti in January due to the fact his current deal comes to a close at the end of the campaign.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/italian-outfit-line-up-berba-bid-1652864.html?

WhiteJC

Interview Scott Parker!

Calling all Formation Members: win the opportunity to interview Formation Ambassador and Whites midfielder Scott Parker!

The winner will have the chance to visit Fulham FC's Motspur Park Training Ground, and interview Parker exclusively for the Club's Junior Magazine, Halftime.

A summer signing for the Whites, Scott is the Official Formation Ambassador, the Membership for Juniors aged 11-15 years. To be in with a chance of winning this fantastic prize, simply fill in the form below, and tell us what you'd ask if you were doing the interview!

The competition is open until Friday 25th October, entrants must be Formation Members to be eligible to win, and available to visit Motspur Park to conduct the interview on Thursday 31st October 2013 between 11.15am and 1.30pm.

The winner will be selected by our Publications team, and contacted no later than Monday 28th October. Due to anticipated high demand, unsuccessful entries will unfortunately not be contacted.

Good luck!

Halftime is the official FFC Juniors Magazine, for Season Ticket Holders and those signed up to a Formation or Fulhamites Membership and comes out in early December.

Join as a Formation (11-15 years) or Fulhamites (0-10 years) member for just £5. To join visit fulhamfc.com/formation today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/interview-scott-parker?

WhiteJC

Kasami Interest

Following that wonder-goal against Crystal Palace on Monday evening, our young Swiss midfielder Patjim Kasami is the subject of numerous column inches.

However, whilst some of those column inches make pleasurable reading, especially those that continue to pour adulation on the player for his wonderful strike, others are a bit worrying.

It would seem that speculation linking the player to Juventus has erupted again with it being inferred that the Sporting Director of Juventus, Fabio Paratici, is a huge fan of the player we purchased from Palermo for £5 million.

It remains to be seen, this coming January, whether any concrete bids are forthcoming, from anywhere in Europe, relating to a possible transfer.

On the evidence of last night, I`d hope not!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336363#ixzz2icVQZAL3

WhiteJC

Fulham are not out of the woods yet despite their party at the Palace

There are many 'corner-turning' matches in football; those games that, if won, will supposedly lurch your club from crisis to calm in 90 minutes.

Ours, this year, was billed as Everton. Fulham were victorious, 2-1, and suddenly all were content around Craven Cottage.

Of course, it did not last. That Capital One Cup tie was followed by a dismal defeat at home to Cardiff City and yet again Fulham plunged into yet another disaster.

For that reason, the 4-1 trouncing of Crystal Palace, away from home, doesn't mean we have turned a corner.

It's mere progression which, for a side like ours – so attack heavy and crammed with creativity and flair – is inevitable.

What it does signify, though, is Martin Jol drawing ever closer to his preferred starting 11 and, for that matter, preferred formation because, when it boils down to it, the lack of a solid system has been our undoing throughout this campaign.

For one, Maarten Stekelenburg is, without doubt, first choice.

It's a meaningless statistic in reality, but we have won both competitive fixtures in which he has started and though David Stockdale was admirable cover in the Ducthman's absence, the defence is palpably more confident with Stekelenburg behind them.

That should be a no-brainer for Jol, though. The real decisions are to be made in the final third.

Against Palace, for example, the manager reduced the width by putting to central attacking midfielders on the wing in the shape of Bryan Ruiz and the superb Pajtim Kasami.

It worked on this occasion and, theoretically, would suit both Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent in the future, but against stronger teams it'd leave our full backs exposed.

But it did prove that the very best of our talent can be squeezed into the starting eleven.

Before, Jol was making a straight choice between Bent and Berbatov and Ruiz and Kasami but, here, although risky in its implementation, he managed to play them all. That can only be a good thing.

And so, while a corner hasn't really been turned, advances have at least been made.

It's taken time, some may feel too much, but it's shaping up nicely

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/23/fulham-are-not-out-of-the-woods-yet-despite-their-party-at-the-palace-4158204/?

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Marcus Bettinelli and Accrington Stanley secured their first win of the season in Sky Bet League Two with a 2-1 victory over fellow strugglers Bristol Rovers on Tuesday night.

The Pirates took the lead after five minutes when Manchester City loanee Alex Henshall's left-wing cross fooled Bettinelli. But James Gray netted from close range on 19 minutes and Kal Naismith drilled in a low shot on the half-hour mark to give Stanley the lead. James Beattie's side held on for the three points, although they remain rooted to the foot of the table.

Elsewhere in League Two, Ryan Williams started as Oxford United drew 0-0 at home to fellow promotion hopefuls Exeter City. The winger was replaced on the hour mark for Oxford, who saw Dave Kitson dismissed in injury time for a second bookable offence. The draw keeps the U's in fourth spot.

In the same division, Cauley Woodrow played the full 90 minutes but Rhys Murphy's seventh goal of the season fired Dagenham & Redbridge to victory against 10-man Southend United.

Shrimpers defender Mark Phillips was sent off for a reckless challenge on Murphy who then scored what proved to be the winner for Daggers in the 31st minute. The defeat sees Southend drop down to 11th.

In League One, Marcello Trotta was a 54th-minute substitute as Brentford won 2-1 at Bristol City on Tuesday night. Sam Saunders' 25-yard shot deflected in off Derrick Williams to break the deadlock in the 79th minute before Clayton Donaldson stabbed in at the back post on 86. Marlon Harewood scored in injury time but it proved to be a mere consolation for City as the Bees moved up to seventh.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan hopes season will be kick-started after Crystal Palace win

Fulham owner Shahid Khan thinks Monday's win at Crystal Palace will kick-start their season.

Khan was present at Selhurst Park to see his Fulham side claim a 4-1 win, and he hopes they can take inspiration from that success.

"I think, and have believed this for quite some time, that we have great players and some of those are new to Fulham and some of them have been here for a while," he told Sky Sports News.

"It was a break-out moment and I hope this now continues."

Khan admits he almost could not believe the volley from Pajtim Kasami against Palace, which many are already suggesting will be goal of the season.

"It was unbelievable and I kept looking for the replay on the video board and I had to go back in and see it on the television," he said. "It is one of those things did I really see what I saw?"

He also reiterated his backing for manager Martin Jol, adding: "He is the man for me.

"You have to keep in mind he is a very experienced guy and the start we have had, whether you're Martin Jol or any Fulham supporter, you're not happy and we can do better, and our players are a lot more talented and they proved that on Monday night."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8987239?

WhiteJC

Fulham First XI

Former Fulham player Ray Houghton recalls his footballing past in our First XI feature.

First Footballing Hero

Jimmy Johnstone of Celtic was an absolute hero of mine. He played for the club from the early 1960s to mid-1970s and was a real legend on the right wing. A little while ago, the fans named him as the club's greatest-ever player – and rightly so. "Little jinky running down the wing" we used to sing.

First football memory

The game that really stands out is the 1972 Scottish Cup Final, a game Celtic won 6-1. Hibernian were the opponents at Hampden Park and Dixie Deans (three), Lou Macari (two) and Billy McNeill got the goals. It was a fabulous day and one that I'll never forget.

First team supported

As revealed already, I'm a Celtic fan. Whilst I represented Republic of Ireland at international level through my father, I was actually born in Glasgow. Celtic was in the family so it was a natural choice. That said, my father actually followed Real Madrid because he loved watching the likes of Ferenc Puskas, Alfredo Di Stefano and Francisco Gento.

First pair of boots

The first boots I ever owned were the George Best Stylo Matchmakers by Gola. I also remember having a pair of those famous white Alan Ball boots. I think they were made by Hummel. They were very popular back in the day.

First team played for

That would be St Julie's primary school up in Glasgow. That's where it all began. But my first professional club was West Ham United, signing professional forms as a 17-year-old.

First manager

I only made one appearance for West Ham, but the manager at the time was John Lyall – who was also a former player with the Hammers. I suppose you could say that Malcolm Macdonald was my first real manager, in the sense that he gave me the opportunity to play regular football. He was a manager that brought out the best in his players.

First position

As a professional I always tended to play in midfield, either through the middle or on one of the flanks. But as a kid, I was actually a centre forward – and quite a prolific one at that! I was always on the scoresheet, and even bagged six in a cup final once. As I got older, I was gradually moved back into midfield. It worked out well, and it didn't stop me scoring the odd goal still.

First Fulham goal

I didn't have a bad record for Fulham, scoring 21 goals in 145 appearances. I feel bad in admitting this, but I can't remember too much about the first one – which would have also been my first as a professional. I think it came against Bolton Wanderers, though, and it wasn't that long after making my debut.

First Fulham game

I remember this one quite well, it was a 1-1 draw with Rotherham United at Craven Cottage and would have been on the opening day of the 1982/83 season. The Club had just won promotion from Division Three and, as we know, we went very close to going up again at the end of that season. As a player, that season was one of the favourites of my career.

First shirt number

At West Ham I wore number four and had a nightmare, so I never wore it again. I developed a bit of a phobia about it. I think Sean O'Driscoll wore it when I came to Fulham, so thankfully I was given a different number – the 10 shirt. That's not a bad one to have, I also liked the number eight which I wore at Liverpool.

First friends at Fulham

It was a really good group of lads, to be honest, but I was particularly close to Robert Wilson. We lived quite close to each other, and although he came to the Club a little bit before me, we always got on well. I was also close to Kevin Lock and Cliff Carr.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/fulham-first-xi?

WhiteJC

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan sees Fulham's Craven Cottage as possible venue

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan says any NFL team being based in London is still a long way off and would not put his team's name forward as a possible option - but did reveal that he had thought about playing a game at Craven Cottage in the future.

Khan also boss of Premier League side Fulham, and with his NFL team the Jaguars scheduled to play a game at Wembley for the next four years they will become pretty well known in London.

Having watched his Premier League side beat Crystal Palace on Monday, Khan is staying in London to watch Jacksonville play at Wembley on Sunday, and he admitted that there was a huge difference in owning the two teams.

"It's different, it's very, very different," he told Sky Sports News. "You've got the relegation, promotion aspect which the NFL doesn't have.

"We're able to do things like get a fresh start in the NFL, which you couldn't do over here. We can change the culture, change the players which is very difficult to do here."

Having become 'London's team' for the next four years, starting on Sunday, the Jaguars are the first name in the frame for a possible UK outpost of the NFL if that does come to happen in the future.

Four year deal

Khan insists, though, that he is only thinking of the next four years and that a possible London NFL team is still some way off.

"We're absolutely looking forward to it, we have been for a while. We were over here over a year ago so we're glad it's finally here.

"It's a big commitment to Wembley and to London, but I think it's way too early to think about a team being based over here - if you look at it, it's the first year with two games.

"We're the first team and the only team that's committed to play here for more than one year, which is for four years. Next year there'll be three games here so it's a long time to go, you've got to decide if it makes sense and we haven't got all the facts.

"For us our commitment is four games over four years in London, that's our commitments right now."

Having had a look around Fulham's Craven Cottage, Khan said he could envisage staging a Jaguars home game there in the future - even if the venue is a lot smaller than the usual NFL home.

"Anything is possible, we're playing here once a year at Wembley and maybe we end up playing here - that's what I was talking to with our media from Jacksonville, this is like a high school game setting, so personal, so up close, it might be kind of fun."

http://www1.skysports.com/american-football/news/11681/8987287?

WhiteJC

Khan reveals Fulham youth policy

New owner wants to see more players from club's academy progress into first team

Vision: Shahid Khan wants to see more youngsters progress into the Fulham first team
Fulham owner Shahid Khan wants more players from the club's academy to progress into the first team.

The Whites boast one of the best youth set-ups in the country, but not a single member of the 18-man squad that faced Crystal Palace on Monday night came through the Motspur Park ranks.

Manager Martin Jol has admitted he's struggled to lower the average age of his side due to the inflated prices in the transfer market.

But Craven Cottage chief Khan says Fulham must bring their own players through to make the club sustainable.

"That's one of the elements; you have to be able to find and grow your own players," he told the Fulham Google Hangout this week.

"We would like the players we are developing to be in the first team.

"You look for the judgement of the manager to put out the best team forward that has the best chance of winning and getting the points.

"It's vital for any club to be sustainable to develop and promote our own players.

"On the Fulham side, from our CEO to the manager, Martin was talking about some of the players from the academy who can start playing in the first team.

"We are all aligned. Our goal is to make it happen."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/khan-reveals-fulham-youth-policy-6231363?

WhiteJC

Southampton Seats

ickets for Fulham's trip to Southampton on Saturday (5.30pm) are now only available to personal callers to the Ticket Office.

These seats will go off sale completely at 4pm on Friday, with any unsold places available on the day at St Mary's from 3pm at Ticket Office 3, located next to the away turnstiles.

Fans should note that ticket prices increase by £2 per ticket on matchday.

Head here for full tickets and travel information.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/23/southampton-seats?

WhiteJC

Kouvaris commentary: Shad Khan 'living the dream'

LONDON -
With a smile and a handshake, Jaguars owner Shad Khan greeted me at Craven Cottage, saying,: "You know, you're on Anne Boleyn's hunting ground here."

Craven Cottage is the home stadium or "grounds" of Khan's English Premier League soccer team, Fulham. He was, in good spirits and outlined most of the history of the club and the surrounding neighborhood with the ease of somebody who clearly had studied the subject.

"Fulham is a unique club," he continued.  "We have a neutral stand (generally in England the two opponents fans are not allowed to sit together) and we're a popular club all over London."

The Cottagers (aka the "Whites") were founded as a club in 1879 and have been in the same stadium since 1886.  They have the most affluent fan base of any team in the EPL and, unlike most teams, nobody hates them.

"I found that everybody likes Fulham," Khan added, echoing others who call them everybody's "second favorite club."

It's an easy walk from the Putney Bridge stop on the London Underground, locally known as the Tube, down to Craven Cottage. The nearly one mile trek goes past antique book stores and flower shops, through neighborhoods and Bishop's Park, hard along the Thames. In fact, both of Shad's teams play in stadiums by a river.  In Jacksonville, over 75,000 can see a game.  In London, 25,000.

Much like he's doing in Jacksonville, Khan has plans to renovate and expand Craven Cottage.

"The City of London is giving us 30 more feet along the Thames to expand the riverside stand," he explained.  They'll demolish the current stands and rebuild them.  He plans to have high-end hospitality there, as he does at home.  "It's an important part of what we're doing,' he explained waving his hand across the pitch.

While his purchase of the Jaguars and Fulham seemed rather fast paced, Khan says it wasn't part of any grand scheme. He felt like there was some synergy between the two leagues. Owning both clubs is part of a business plan to attract sponsors to both Fulham and the Jaguars.

"We're looking for more fans for the Jaguars," he continued. "It's all about expanding the fans, and Jacksonville's economic development.  The Jaguars don't have enough sponsors and some have left.  In some cases I don't blame them, but we need to find some more.  There's a synergy between the two, a cross-pollination if you will, that I think will work."

Khan plans to operate the two sports clubs as separate entities but thinks there's plenty of opportunity to engage business and fans that have an overall interest in both.

Shad's not worried, at least short term, about the Jaguars start under Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley.  "That's not sustainable but it is what it is right now.  We're trying to rebuild the whole thing."  Khan often notes that he couldn't do that with Fulham because of the EPL's "relegation" policy. (The bottom three teams get dropped to a lower division and the top three from there get promoted.)  "Fulham's been 12 straight years without relegation and it's important we stay in the Premiership."

I noted that it was a big week for him and it got started off right with Fulham's 4-1 win at Crystal Palace Monday night."A breakout win for them. They have the talent.  Now let's see where they go from here," he agreed.

"Pretty exciting," I said. 

"Very exciting," he added.  "It's an exciting week, a big week, an important week.  It's good to be me!" he said with a laugh and without a bit of smugness.

He's having so much fun it makes you wonder: What's he going to do next?

Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/shad-khan-living-the-dream-commentary/-/475646/22597824/-/73d6in/-/index.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham must get paranoid about relegation says American owner Shahid Khan

Tycoon wants Cottagers to be driven on by fear of the drop - and insists manager Martin Jol "is the man for me"

Magic Monday: Shahid Khan gives Fulham a double thumbs up at Palace
Julian Finney

Fulham owner Shahid Khan reckons his club need "paranoia" to avoid relegation and remain in the Premier League.

The American billionaire said of the Cottagers: "I think a little bit of paranoia comes with the Premier League because of relegation and promotion.

"It was a great night (on Monday) but before that, you had to remember that only seven games had been played. There is a long season yet to go.

"You have to have a little bit of paranoia to get better."

Khan, speaking to fans on a Fulham Google Hangout, called Monday night's 4-1 win at Crystal Palace a "breakout moment".

The Pakistani-born businessman, gave his full backing to manager Martin Jol.

"He is the man for me," said the owner of the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars, who would be heading for a relegation battle themselves if the concept existed in US sport.

"You have to keep in mind he is a very experienced guy and the start we have had, whether you're Martin Jol or any Fulham supporter, you're not happy and we can do better, and our players are a lot more talented and they proved that on Monday night.

"I think, and have believed this for quite some time, that we have great players and some of those are new to Fulham and some of them have been here for a while.

"It was a breakout moment, and I hope this now continues."

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-must-paranoid-relegation-says-2485120#ixzz2icYWtgfP
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

Saints out to extend amazing home run against Fulham

Saints are this weekend aiming to return to the Premier League's top four and extend a remarkable home record that spans almost 80 years.

Victory over Fulham at St Mary's on Saturday will guarantee Saints at least a temporary return to the Champions League spots with a host of other fixtures being played on Sunday.

And the omens look good for Mauricio Pochettino's side.

Amazingly, Fulham have only ever won one of their league away trips to Saints – and that was way back in 1935 when Ramsay MacDonald was Prime Minister!

The total record reads impressively for Saints, who have notched up 19 wins and eight draws in the 28 league meetings between the sides on the south coast.

However, Fulham have got closer in recent years, with four of the last five encounters at Saints ending in draws.

Last season saw Martin Jol's men come closer than ever to ending their barren run at Saints.

Jose Fonte's last minute leveller, his second goal of the contest, gave Saints a 2-2 draw a year ago this month.

Former Fulham and Portsmouth midfielder Sean Davis has been generous in his praise of Saints ahead of the fixture.

"I've not really been surprised by how well Southampton have done this season," he said.

"I watched them towards the back end of last season and what I was most impressed with was the way they pressed in numbers high up the pitch.

"They weren't frightened to press the ball high and if you do that, and you're brave doing it, then you can win the ball back in the opponents' half and attack straight away.

"I'm maybe a bit surprised they're as high as sixth, but I'm not surprised at the improvement they've shown because the manager has had the whole of pre-season to talk to the players and show them exactly what he wants.

"They've got a lot of young players and young players are hungry and want to improve and want to succeed in one of the best leagues in the world.

"That can only be a good thing for a team."

Saints go into the game having suffered just one defeat all season.

That 1-0 loss at Norwich at the end of August is the only blip on a brilliant Saints record this campaign, in which they have otherwise gone unbeaten over ten matches in all competitions.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10758645._/?

WhiteJC

Juventus Ready To Pounce For Kasami

Italian giants Juventus are eyeing up a move to bring Fulham star Pajtim Kasami to Turin.

The Swiss midfielder put in a claim for goal of the month and goal of the season after scoring a stunning strike to bring Fulham level against Crystal Palace on Monday night.

And the 21-year-old looks set to become a top player if he reaches his potential.

Juventus seem to have taken attention to his capability and are set to make an offer to Fulham when the transfer window opens in January according to The Sun.

He joined Fulham in 2011 but has only shown glimpses of what he can achieve in the 15 appearances he has played.

That included the volley that manager Martin Jol described as better than the famous Marco van Basten goal in the Euro 88 finals.

He made his debut for former club Palermo at the age of 18 before making the switch to London for a £5million fee.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/juventus-ready-to-pounce-for-kasami-28881/?

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Shahid Khan: 'Martin Jol is the man for me'

Fulham owner Shahid Khan believes Monday's win at Crystal Palace was a sign of the potential of Martin Jol's team and has reiterated his support for the Dutchman.

Jol was criticised by supporters after a stuttering start to the season, but has the backing of American billionaire Khan.

"He is the man for me," Khan told Sky Sports News.

"You have to keep in mind he is a very experienced guy and the start we have had, whether you're Martin Jol or any Fulham supporter, you're not happy and we can do better, and our players are a lot more talented and they proved that on Monday night.

"I think, and have believed this for quite some time, that we have great players and some of those are new to Fulham and some of them have been here for a while.

"It was a break-out moment and I hope this now continues."

Khan was thrilled to watch the 4-1 win at Selhurst Park, during which Steve Sidwell scored a stunning volley bettered only when team-mate Pajtim Kasami struck an outrageous one of his own.

On Kasami's volley, Khan said: "It was unbelievable and I kept looking for the replay on the video board and I had to go back in and see it on the television.

"It is one of those things - did I really see what I saw?"

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_owner_shahid_khan_martin_jol_is_the_man_for_me_1_2921069