https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 29, 2013, 04:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Ruiz reveals Wembley dream

Fulham star admits he's desperate to play at the home of football

Bryan Ruiz is desperate to get past Leicester City tonight and get one step closer to Wembley.

Fulham face the Championship high-fliers at the King Power Stadium, with a spot in the Capital One Cup quarter-finals up for grabs.

Ruiz says Martin Jol's men can't afford to underestimate their opponents after scraping past Burton on penalties in round two.

But the Costa Rica captain has one eye on a Wembley berth as he dreams of running out at the home of football.

He said: "It's very important for us. Everybody wants to play at Wembley, especially in a cup final. I have never played there and would love to.

"But these games are more difficult than you think. We don't think it's going to be easy because it won't.

"We were lucky against Burton, winning on penalties. We can't underestimate anyone."

Skipper Brede Hangeland is a doubt after missing Saturday's defeat at Southampton.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bryan-ruiz-reveals-wembley-dream-6250043?

WhiteJC

Konchesky Eager For Fulham Test

With the Foxes set to tackle Fulham in the Capital One Cup tonight, City's award-winning Matchday Magazine caught up with current Leicester left back and former Cottagers star, Paul Konchesky.

The 32-year-old spent an eventful three years with the London side between 2007 and 2010. During that time, under the guidance of current England manager Roy Hodgson, he helped his side pull off a miraculous Premier League survival in his first season, followed by a memorable Europa League campaign in 2010.

Under Hodgson, Fulham reached the final that year, knocking out the likes of Juventus and Hamburg along the way - losing only to an extra-time strike from the talented Uruguayan Diego Forlan against Atletico Madrid in the final.

Those are special memories for Konchesky, but with City looking to maintain their growing momentum by upsetting the odds against their Premier League opponents, the defender is eager to play his part.

"We need to keep winning games, but also stick together," said Konchesky. "That's as a team, as a staff, as a club and the fans. If we all stick together then I think we've got a great chance.

"I've got some good memories at Fulham, and a bad one in the first season with the relegation fight, but after that it was very good for us with getting to the Europa League Final and the experience along the way.

"To be part of that team that got to the final, although we got beaten, was great. I've got great memories there, it's a great football club and it'll be a good test for us on Tuesday.

"[I still keep an eye on their results] a little bit. I watched them on television the other night – there are a lot of people who have changed there now, but it will still be good to see a few faces.

"The teams and players that we played against in that Europa League run will live with me forever. I remember one game we lost to Juventus 3-1 in Turin, and then beat them at home 4-3 which sent us to the semi-final.

"When you do something like that, you believe you can go on to the final, which we did. It was disappointing to lose, but an honour to be involved."

The former Charlton, West Ham and Liverpool man is now eager to pass on his experiences to the next generation of City stars currently coming through the ranks.

Academy Graduates Liam Moore and Jeff Schlupp have both been features in City's back line in recent times, and Konchesky is happy to do anything he can to help with their development.

He added: "I play with Liam Moore and I see him every day, so I can see that he's progressing all the time. He's a good, strong lad and he's got a great future ahead of him if he keeps his head down and keeps working hard.

"Obviously with Jeff Schlupp, everyone knows he is a forward come winger, and he got thrown in at the deep end a little bit at left back.

"I felt that it was only right for me to go to him, talk to him and help him as much as I can, and if he takes anything from me then great. Everyone knows how attack-minded Jeff is. He's a great lad and he's got a great future in front of him as well.

"We know each other really well, we talk a lot and with Kasper as well as a back five, we're a tight unit. We all get on well and I think that shows in games as well.

"I maybe feel it (responsibility) a bit more this season because we've got a few young players in the team and we're trying our best to stick together. Hopefully me, Wes [Morgan] and Kasper [Schmeichel] can try to keep that unit together, and I think at the minute we're showing that on the pitch."

Read the full interview with Paul Koncheksy in tonight's Fulham edition of City's award-winning Matchday Magazine, priced at just £3 in and around King Power Stadium, and keep your eye on our YouTube channel for an exclusive preview.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/291013-koncheksy-eager-for-fulham-test-1141840.aspx?#EfOsF9HAOlFKj9ZP.99

WhiteJC

Can we beat anyone playing like that?

Fulham FanZoner Andy Lye reflects on the Cottagers' poor showing at Southampton and asks, "can we beat anyone playing like that?"

So much for an improvement, huh?

Sure, there's no great shame in losing away to Southampton this season given their form, but the manner in which we did it clearly indicates the back-to-back wins against Stoke and Crystal Palace were not the change in quality some people wanted them to be.

The 90 minutes at St. Mary's might just have been the worst game we've played so far this term. Even Martin Jol had no excuses afterwards. Is there anyone in the league we can expect to beat playing like that? Conceding soft goals and creating nothing more than a single speculative off-target shot?

We only have Maarten Stekelenburg to thank for not losing by more. It was a shame for David Stockdale to be dumped from the team as soon as Maarten was fit again, but his form had been very poor, it wasn't entirely unfair, not like on previous occasions when he filled in for the constantly shaky Mark Schwarzer only to be kicked back out after doing well.

Rickie Lambert's goal should have been cut out when it reached Jay Rodriguez, who was able to head the corner on virtually unmarked to a completely solitary Lambert, left alone purely because Dimitar Berbatov couldn't be bothered to mark him, no matter how much Scott Parker tried to make him. And what was Phillippe Senderos even doing when Rodriguez ghosted past him on the way to the second?

Is this even a salvageable situation with what we've got at our disposal?

I mean, we'd pretty much be guaranteed to lose our next two games under any circumstances anyway. Manchester United have far too much quality to lose to a side as lacking in confidence and creativity as ours, even away, and Liverpool are untouchable at home at the moment. Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez probably fancy a hat-trick each in that one.

Then it's Swansea at home, which should be winnable, but we'll be on the back of at least three consecutive defeats by then, possibly even four if we go up to Leicester City in the League Cup and get beaten. Our confidence could be so low by then, they'll walk over us too. West Ham away is always difficult, and then Aston Villa arrive desperate for points.

Honestly, if we play as we did on Saturday against Leicester on Tuesday, we'll lose. Leicester are playing very well at the moment, and if I were a Championship supporter (which it would appear before long I may very well be) and my team had to host a Premiership side in the cup, Fulham would be my first choice for the best chance of getting the win.

Either way, something has to change. And it's getting to the point where I don't care what that is. I'll support the sacking of Martin Jol, completely re-shuffling most of the starting 11, even replacing the first team with the under 19s. Anything to get 11 men on the field at the same time who care, and will generate some excitement and create something that might actually trouble the opposition.

I think some of them need to be given something to play for, because at the moment the likes of Berbatov, Bent, and Ruiz seem to have no motivation to do well. And where even is Adel Taarabt? Presumably he's not even motivated enough to put enough effort into training to get a place on the bench.

What probably isn't helping some of the others is Martin Jol constantly putting them down when asked for comments about them in interviews. He probably sees it as trying to stop any major fuss over our players before it starts, in case it sparks other teams into action in the January transfer window, but it can't be doing certain players any good to read or hear one negative for every positive their manager gives them in the open press.

Just last week he praised the contributions of Pajtim Kasami, only to point out he has a lot to learn and isn't the best player around at the moment. That second part doesn't need saying. The boy is 21, it stands to reason he's not the best in the league, because if he were he sure as hell wouldn't be at Fulham, and obviously he's got things to learn because he's so young.

He added that if Juventus (or presumably anyone else) wants to offer us a lot of money for Kasami, "that would be good for everyone".

No Martin, it wouldn't. Pajtim is one of the very few players we have playing with passion, we can't afford to lose him right now at any price. Lastly: "I told him to count his blessings and to be happy at that age playing Premier League football."

So it's luck now, and not his hard work over the last two years to get into our team? Or your stubborn ideas keeping him out? That's a great message to be sending.

He did the same thing when answering questions on the extension that's been offered to Steve Sidwell, revealing that the club are offering him a shorter deal than he wants.

Sometimes I think it would be much better for all of us if he just stopped talking. Let Billy McKinley do the interviews. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make our squad or supporters feel any worse than Martin is doing.

http://www.teamtalk.com/fanzone/15164/8997455/Can-we-beat-anyone-playing-like-that-?

WhiteJC

6) Fulham, We're Worried About You

Fulham, you want to thank Crystal Palace and Sunderland for their utter ineptitude. For if they weren't so inept we may be talking about you a little bit more than we currently are. This may seem odd, right? Fulham have 10 points so far, hell they probably only need another 25 or 27 points to survive, so what's my problem?

Fulham are a horrible team. They are constantly out-shot, they lack pace and dynamism. Hell, the only thing they seem to be good at is getting the shots they take on target (Fulham's numbers are on par with Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Sustainable?). Anyway, I am not sure if Fulham can continue to be out-shot to the extent they are in each game they play.

Fulham's Rolling Total Shots Count (9 games)

Obviously Fulham's SoT numbers don't look as bad as their shots numbers do, but both numbers are in the bottom two in the entire league. Now, there are no certainties in life but if Fulham continue to be out-shot by this margin or worse (they have faced soft competition so far) then they will be in deep relegation trouble.

Fulham cannot, and should not, believe that a PDO of 109 (above average) will continue to bail them out of the shots deficit.

Fulham are on course to be out-shot by 439 shots and 97 shots on target.

http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2013/10/29/5037598/pl-talking-points-arsenal-form-suarez-strikers-torres-hart?

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup: Leicester and Fulham take aim at quarter-finals

Leicester City and Fulham will be looking to make their way into the quarter-finals of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

Securing a place in the last eight would allow thoughts to start turning towards a possible day out at Wembley, with Bradford City having shown last season that anything can happen in knockout competition.

Leicester will want to keep the Football League flag flying, with the Foxes one of only three sides from outside the top flight to have reached the last 16 - alongside Birmingham City and Burnley.

Home advantage could play into their hands in midweek, with Nigel Pearson's side yet to come unstuck at the King Power Stadium this term.

They have seen off Wycombe Wanderers, Carlisle United and Derby County to make it this far, so will be facing top flight opposition for the first time.

Fulham edged out Everton at the last stage, but were pushed all the way by Burton Albion in round two and required a penalty shoot-out success to get the job done.

Martin Jol will be hoping things run a little smoother against the Foxes, with a recent improvement in performance levels in the league helping to ease the pressure which had been building on his shoulders.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/303966/preview?

WhiteJC

Lambs boss Belford hails former Fulham striker

Dale Belford has heaped praise on striker Richard Peniket and believes the young forward does not get the credit he deserves.
Peniket, a summer signing following his release by Fulham, notched his fourth goal of the season in the 4-1 win over Solihull Moors on Saturday,

And Lambs boss Belford said: "He's so important to the team.
"His work rate is fantastic and he's been really versatile for us, playing the central role, out wide on the right and on the left.

"The management and staff here really appreciate the work he puts in and the commitment he has.
"And the players understand the work he does for the team as well.
"I have never known anyone work as hard and he deserves a lot of credit. He has a massive future in the game."

Read more: http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/story-20001853-detail/story.html?#ixzz2j8CrTpcw

WhiteJC

Aaron's Cup Ambition

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes insists his side will be doing all they can to progress in the Capital One Cup when they meet Leicester City at the Fourth Round stage on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Having dispatched Burton Albion and Everton already in the competition, victory at the King Power Stadium would put the Whites through to the final eight and Hughes admitted it would be a prime opportunity to challenge for some silverware.

"When you start the season and look at the competitions you have a chance of winning, the FA Cup and League Cup are two possibilities for a Club like us," he explained. "There are five or six teams fighting for the Barclays Premier League title, so we know that's beyond us, but the cup competitions provide a realistic chance of a trophy."

Leicester's status as a Sky Bet Championship side gives them the tag of underdogs going into the tie, but the Foxes have been in great form in England's second tier this season, and Hughes and his teammates know that a strong performance will be required in order to progress in the competition.

"They're at home and will be looking for an upset," the Northern Ireland international stated. "They're on a good run, so will be full of confidence going into the game.

"It will be difficult for us but there's a big reward for the winners. There's a big incentive with a place in the Quarter-Finals up for grabs."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/29/aarons-cup-ambition?