watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (29/10/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 29, 2013, 04:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WILL FULHAM BENEFIT FROM SHAHID KHAN'S AMERICAN DREAM?

Six degrees of separation is the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world.  If I were to boast that I could draw a link between wild cats, the King of Pop, America's favourite chat show host and the most remarkable moustache, you'd probably agree it was time I started to listen to the men in white trench coats.

But one man really is crazy enough to be the common denominator between all of these bizarre items. Shahid Khan must have the most colourful six degrees imaginable.

West London's latest fat cat has captured the imagination and respect of the business and sports world throughout the United States and beyond. He arrived in America from Pakistan, aged just 16, to study engineering at the University of Illinois. The $50 he had in his back pocket when arriving from Lahore has since mutated into $3.8billion – over $1billion more than Oprah Winfrey's net worth.

In December 2011, Khan bought the Jacksonville Jaguars, an American Football franchise from Florida, and in doing so, became the first owner in the NFL from an ethic minority.

The Jaguars took on the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, which more than Khan's latest high profile purchase can say. Fulham haven't graced the holy turf since losing 2-0 to West Ham in the 1975 FA Cup final. There are some similarities however, as the 49ers recorded a 42-10 victory to consign the Jags to their eighth consecutive loss of the season.

Mohammed Al Fayed unveiled the heir to his throne by donning a fake bushy moustache. Khan appeared to find it amusing. His muzzy face furniture jiggled as he let out a hollow chuckle. But he savored the very last laugh until removing the Michael Jackson statue that Fayed had controversially erected after the death of his close friend in 2009. The disturbing figurine was returned to the former Egyptian owner – most likely accompanied by a note that read, "What on earth were you thinking?"

Afterwards, Khan joked: "I thought it would be very easy for him to comprehend that this was time it had to go, but he really struggled with it."

Khan's attraction to Craven Cottage was not a hard one to understand. Debt free and sustainable, 2013/14 will be Fulham's 13th successive season in the top division, making them one of the leagues longest serving sides.

The Cottagers couldn't be blamed for being slightly skeptical about the appointment. Al Fayed oversaw easily the most successful period in the clubs history, as they surged from the third tier to the top flight, via a European cup final. In reality the club may not have existed without him. The fans had come a long way to see a barrel-chested American, who made his money selling car parts, to use their club as a financial vehicle for his NFL side.

Fans have seen these NFL types in the Premier League, or "EPL" if you will, before. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are represented by the Glazer family, Randy Lerner the Cleveland Browns and Stan Kroenke 's St. Louis Rams. None have done a particularly atrocious job, but it could be argued that they are out of touch with the common football fan. Football is a tricky game to understand. Tribal almost.

However, Khan is polite, charming and happy to answer a direct question. Most importantly, he genuinely appears to have grasped the value of traditions. He is honest enough to agree football is a business and will make no apologies for his plans to lead Fulham into a new era.

He already has expansion plans in mind for the prime piece of property right along the Thames. Khan wants to add an upscale, upper-level seating area that will take the overall capacity to 37,000.

"The city of London is giving us about 30 feet of the Thames river to extend, which is right there called the Riverside Stand and that will give us seating for about 5,000 more fans," he said.

There is a 'but' however, and I'm sure you saw it coming. Khan does have a vision of bringing an NFL game to the stadium. "What would you think about an NFL game here? Right here? Wouldn't that be great? It would be an impossible ticket to get because people from the US would never have seen an NFL game like this," he proclaimed.

In a world where sports franchises are packed up like fairground rides and trucked onto the next major city, rumours are rife that the Jacksonville Jaguars could move to London permanently. They have already committed to playing four regular NFL games at Wembley over the next four years.

Until then, Khan envisages cross-pollination of his two football teams with a plan that could have the Fulham playing a game in Jacksonville, and the Jags playing a game at Craven Cottage.

"I think, yes it would be great and now we have to do it. When would that happen? I don't know. I think the next couple of years are lined up at Wembley but I think this would be a spectacular place – up close and personal right along the Thames River and I think it's very special," he said.

Only time will tell whether Fulham will ultimately benefit from Khan's American dream. Some may feel their traditional roots will be trampled by Uncle Sam to make way for an all singing, star spangled, money-maker. Whilst others may reluctantly agree that heritage and old English practices have little room to breathe in the Premier League anymore.

Whatever opinion Fulham fans do have of Khan, there is one fact they will all agree on. "You balance sport and business by having a sustainable model for a club...and by winning," Khan smirked. "Because winning makes people feel better."

http://footballrepublik.com/shahid-khan-and-fulham/

WhiteJC

Match Preview: City vs. Fulham

LCFC.com looks ahead to City's Capital One Cup clash with Premier League side Fulham.

A spot in the hat for the Capital One Cup Quarter-Final draw is up for grabs at King Power Stadium on Tuesday night as Leicester City tackle Premier League visitors Fulham in a mouthwatering last-16 tie.

Nigel Pearson's Foxes will be oozing with confidence after a seventh consecutive home win in all competitions against Bournemouth on Saturday afternoon – the strike duo of David Nugent and Jamie Vardy scoring the goals that helped City leapfrog Queens Park Rangers into second place in the Sky Bet Championship.

Sandwiched in between the weekend's 2-1 win and a crucial trip to Watford next Saturday, the chance to test themselves against Premier League opposition in the form of Fulham will have City's stars eager to be involved and stake their claim for a starting spot.

City have overcome Wycombe Wanderers, Carlisle United and Derby County in the competition so far, but Fulham present by far the biggest challenge for the Foxes, who will again be without full back Ritchie De Laet for the clash.

Blessed with a squad of undoubted Premier League quality, Martin Jol's Fulham have dispatched Burton Albion and Everton on their route to the last-16.

The Cottagers scraped through on penalties after a 2-2 draw with Burton, but the experienced duo of Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent were on hand to help secure a 2-1 Craven Cottage victory over the Toffees in the last round.

It has been a difficult start to the campaign for Jol's men, who after beating struggling Sunderland on the opening day, had to wait until October for their next top-flight win – a 1-0 success over Stoke that was followed by a sensational 4-1 win away to Crystal Palace.

Big defender Brede Hangeland is a doubt for the clash with a leg problem, while Matthew Briggs is likely to miss out with a groin injury. However, it is an otherwise fully fit squad for the London side to choose from when they visit King Power Stadium on Tuesday night.

City manager Nigel Pearson was delighted with his players following the 2-1 victory over AFC Bournemouth on Saturday, saying: "It's about winning so I'm very pleased that we've got the three points.

"I think we deserved to win. It was a tough game because they're a decent side, but it got a little bit frustrating with the timing of their equaliser knocking us out of our stride a little bit.

"I think really in the second half we totally dominated the game, but we had to earn it today. It wasn't the easiest game for us. I think they're a decent side and they certainly didn't disappoint in terms of how they set up and worked.

"All in all it was a good day for us and we keep our run going. I think what it does do is illustrate how hard it is to be a success. They made us work, but we deserved it. We've had easier games than that."

Following a disappointing 2-0 defeat away to high flying Southampton, Fulham boss Martin Jol said: "I thought it was a game of two halves. In the first half, I thought it could be a hammering but in the second half we held them 0-0. That was the only good thing to come out of today.

"Of course, it was disappointing. We had a problem with Adam Lallana and [Jay] Rodriguez and [Rickie] Lambert. We conceded a goal from a corner-kick again and to come back away to Southampton, who've only conceded three goals all season, was always going to be difficult.

"We couldn't get the ball forward because they pressed us. We forgot to play football and even Manchester United couldn't get out of their half against them last week.

"Like we did in the second half against Crystal Palace we needed a good passing game to get the ball to our best players. We didn't do that today. We weren't aggressive enough to keep the ball."

Head to Head Record (all comps)

City:25

Draws:17

Fulham:39

Last Three Meetings

Fulham 3 City 2

Carling Cup

Wednesday 27 August, 2008

Goals: Gera 31, Bullard 83, Murphy 90; Dickov 46, King 48

Fulham 4 City 3

FA Cup

Wednesday 17 January, 2007

Goals: McBride 35, Montella 51, 60, Routledge 90; Fryatt 13, McAuley 45, Wesolowski 47

City 2 Fulham 2

FA Cup

Saturday 6 January, 2007

Goals: Kisnorbo 80, Cadamarteri 90; McBride 69, Voltz 83

While the Fulham squad boasts plenty of Premier League quality, one name that stands out on the team sheet is that of Dimitar Berbatov, the experienced Bulgarian striker who is capable of scoring against any team.

The 32-year-old enjoyed a solid first season with the Cottagers last term, after joining on a free from Manchester United. He scored a respectable 15 goals in all competitions in 2012/13, and despite only notching twice in nine games so far this term, will most definitely be a threat.

Berbatov began his career with CSKA Sofia before a successful five-and-a-half year spell with German side Bayer Leverkusen. His exploits in Germany earned his a £10million move to Tottenham Hotspur in July 2006, and nearly 50 goals later, Manchester United were persuaded to splash out over £30million on the talented hitman.

The Bulgarian's goal scoring record at Old Trafford was equally impressive, and there can be no doubt he still possesses the same impressive skill and technique that has won him so many admirers throughout his career, so City will need to keep a close eye on the striker, with and without the ball.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/281013-match-preview-city-vs.-fulham-1139432.aspx?#z0rCU4VsWPBGpirT.99

WhiteJC

Ruiz Reflects

Bryan Ruiz has urged Fulham to move on from Saturday's 2-0 defeat at in-form Southampton as the Whites prepare for a big week of football.

Martin Jol's side face Leicester City in the Capital One Cup Fourth Round on Tuesday, before hosting Manchester United at the Cottage on Saturday in the league.

And Ruiz admits Fulham will need to turn in a much-improved display in those games to the one at St Mary's on Saturday as first-half headers from Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez earned the Saints a deserved three points.

"Southampton played well," Ruiz told the official website. "We had a plan but once they scored the first goal it was difficult to find a way back into the match. They deserved the win but now we have to pick ourselves up and look towards the next match."

The Whites had gone into the clash with the Saints full of confidence after back-to-back wins – but they never really got going at St Mary's, failing to test Artur Boruc in the hosts' goal.

"After winning two games in a row, we wanted to continue that at Southampton," continued Ruiz. "We weren't able to do it and we were all disappointed with the display.

"The most frustrating thing was not testing their goalkeeper. We should have done more but Southampton have only conceded three goals this season and they're very strong defensively. They're in good shape and full of confidence but we need to try and forget about it now and concentrate on the next match.

"We've got two games coming up quickly and it will be a tough week. We want to qualify for the next round of the cup and then take on Manchester United in a good frame of mind."

Ruiz passed a late fitness test to feature at St Mary's and the Costa Rican added: "I still have some problems with my back and we're working on that. It's getting better - hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be 100 per cent."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/28/ruiz-post-saints?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger made available for loan

Boss hopes to send youngster out to get first-team experience

Martin Jol wants to send out Buomesca Tue Na Bangna and several of Fulham's other youngsters before the loan window shuts next month.

The former Chelsea winger made his first-team debut against his old club at Stamford Bridge in September, but hasn't featured since.

Marcus Bettinelli, Marcello Trotta and Cauley Woodrow are among the Fulham young guns gaining experience in the lower leagues.

And boss Jol wants more of his kids to get regular games elsewhere.

He said: "If you look at the left side we have Adel Taarabt, [Pajtim] Kasami and even Damien Duff can play there.

"We've got Ashkan Dejagah and Duff on the other side too. There's too many players here now to throw them in, so I would love to find something for them.

"I've got six or seven youngsters who could play in the lower leagues and do a very good job, but you need the clubs to take them.

"There's still not a lot of interest because all of these lower-league clubs are looking for older, experienced players.

"They want to keep these teams up and may feel these youngsters can't do a job for them."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-winger-made-available-loan-6247654?

WhiteJC

Jol refuses to be drawn on a Fulham return for Dempsey

Martin Jol has refused to be drawn on speculation linking Clint Dempsey with a return to Fulham but admits youngster Mesca could leave the club on a temporary basis.

Dempsey headed back home to join MLS side Seattle Sounders in the summer after just one season at Tottenham.

But he has been tipped to return to these shores in the January transfer window during the MLS off-season.

The 30-year-old, who spent five and a half successful seasons at Craven Cottage, has been linked with Fulham in recent weeks but Jol has refused to confirm his interest in the American.

He said: "It's unbelievable speculation, which is nice. I never talk about players, especially when they are not here."

One player who could be on the move, however, is Guinea-Bissau winger Mesca.

Jol feels the 20-year-old, who made his senior bow against Chelsea earlier this term, will struggle for more first-team opportunities at Fulham this term.

He said: "I would love to [loan him out]. I've got six or seven youngsters who could play in the lower leagues and do a very good job, but you need the clubs to take them.

"If you look at the left side we have Adel Taarabt, Kasami and even Damien Duff can play there. We've got Ashkan Dejagah and Duff on the other side too. There's too many players here now to throw them in, so I would love to find something for them."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/jol-refuses-be-drawn-fulham-return-dempsey-13102865784#xbi80mBAYtAIjzE8.99

WhiteJC

Martin Jol under pressure in Premier League Sack Race

Martin Jol has been reinstalled as the favourite in the Premier League Sack Race following Fulham's defeat at Southampton. The Dutchman enjoyed a brief restpite after his side's emphatic 4-1 victory at Crystal Palace last week, however the pressure is right back on following their woeful performance against the Saints. The Cottagers were comprehensively outplayed at St Mary's as they fell to their fifth defeat of the season.

Fulham ended the match with just 33% of the possession, and no shots on target. Meanwhile the Saints fired 20 shots Fulham's way and enjoyed a whopping 67% of the play. Saturday's dismal defeat now leaves the Cottages in 14th and just two points above the relegation zone, and as a result Jol will be feeling the heat once again, with his odds cut to 7/4 in the betting.

On Tuesday Fulham travel to Leicester for their fourth round Capital One Cup clash, which is followed by daunting back-to-back league games against Man Utd and Liverpool. Defeats could spell the end of Jol's spell at Craven Cottage. Both the supporters and owner, Shahid Khan, simply expect more from the London side who have just two wins to their name this season. The unemployed Martin O'Neill currently leads the way in the Next Fulham Manager Market, while the likes of Malky MacKay, Robert Di Matteo and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer also feature.

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/28th-october-2013/martin-jol-under-pressure-in-premier-league-sack-race?

WhiteJC

Paul Posluszny open to Jacksonville Jaguars' London relocation by Fulham boss despite 49ers defeat

Jacksonville Jaguars players took the positives out of their demoralising 42-10 loss to the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley – and were not put off by the prospect of calling London home.

Speaking at a press conference after last night's NFL's International Series game, linebacker Paul Posluszny said the Wembley crowd of 83,559 created "one of the best NFL atmospheres that I've been fortunate enough to be a part of."

He added: "Playing in this stadium is unbelievable. The fact that the game got out of hand in the fourth quarter, but everybody stayed, and were really supportive and loud – the crowd was unbelievable.

"This was a great experience playing here."

When asked whether he would play in London if Jags and Fulham Football Club owner Shahid Khan chose to relocate his American franchise to British soil, Posluszny said: "Let's put it this way, if Mr Khan says, 'Paul, we're playing in London,' then I will say, 'Yes, sir, I can't wait to get there.'

"At the end of the day we want to play in the NFL. If the opportunity is to play over here, we're going to play over here."

He added: "When you look at this city, London is an unbelievable city. This is something that a lot of guys, me included, don't get to experience very often."

"We have to be grateful and thankful for this opportunity," Jags running back Maurice Jones-Drew said about the experience of playing in London, where his side are scheduled to return for three more 'home' games in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

"For me, personally, coming where I came from, there would be no way I would be overseas without football.

"This is a great game and it allowed us to do a lot of great things. We want to continue this."

The winless Jags fell to 0-8 for the season with defeat to the 6-2 49ers but coach Gus Bradley was bullish about creating a more competitive team ahead of next year's Wembley visit.

He said: "Our mindset is to keep building and to get to the point when we come back here and we give you a team that's fighting in that spot we all hope we're at.

"I thought it was a great atmosphere. The crowd stayed there all the way through the [to the] end. There was great energy from the crowd. It was an awesome environment. I'd like to thank everybody that was associated with that."

Jim Harbaugh, the 9ers coach, also enjoyed his time in London, saying: "It felt like a huge stage. Wembley has a great tradition and status as a venue and it was an amazing experience for our players and for me personally.

"The beginning of the game when they were playing the two national anthems, I felt like I was at the Olympics.

"As a youngster, I always wanted to be in the Olympics and at that moment I was feeling like the moment when they play the gold medal and the silver medal and the bronze medal, the different anthems. I got a chill when the gal was singing 'God Save the Queen'."

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who stole the show by running for 54 yards and two touchdowns to go with his 164 passing yards and two-yard touchdown throw, said: "My experience [of London] was great, got to see the city a little bit.

"A lot of people here are really nice. I had a great time. It's been a great overall experience."

Last night's game was the second of two NFL contests played at Wembley this year. The Minnesota Vikings (1-6) triumphed over the Pittsburgh Steelers (2-5) 34-27 at the end of September but have not won a game since.

Next year it has been announced the Jacksonville Jaguars will play the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons host the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins go up against the Oakland Raiders.

No dates have yet been revealed.

http://www.london24.com/sport/other/paul_posluszny_open_to_jacksonville_jaguars_london_relocation_by_fulham_boss_despite_49ers_defeat_1_2936814

WhiteJC

Leicester v Fulham

CAPITAL ONE CUP FOURTH ROUND
Venue: King Power Stadium Date: Tuesday, 29 October
Coverage: Watch highlights on The League Cup Show on Wednesday at 2305 GMT, BBC One.

Leicester's in-form frontman David Nugent is a doubt with illness, with Chris Wood in line to replace him.

The Foxes will again be without injured full-back Ritchie De Laet with Liam Moore deputising at right-back.

Fulham skipper Brede Hangeland remains a doubt having missed the defeat at Southampton due to a nerve problem in his leg.

Defender Aaron Hughes could make his first start in a month after coming off the bench on Saturday.

MATCH PREVIEW
Given that struggling Fulham failed to register a shot on target against Southampton on Saturday and Leicester have been scoring at will, an upset appears on the cards in the East Midlands.

The Foxes are the Championship's form side on home turf, have goal threats all over the pitch and have confidence oozing out of them.

Fulham are quite the opposite and manager Martin Jol admitted as much when he said he feared the Cottagers could have been on the wrong end of a hammering against Saints.

However, the Cottagers have enjoyed some League Cup respite so far this season, most notably coming from behind to beat Everton in the last round.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

These sides last met in a 2008 League Cup second-round match at Craven Cottage - which Fulham won 3-2 after a late Danny Murphy strike.

Fulham dominate the overall head-to-head between the sides, winning 39 to Leicester's 25 (17 draws).

Leicester's last win in this fixture came after a League Cup fifth-round penalty shoot-out in January 2000.

Leicester
Leicester have won their last seven home games in all competitions and have won their last three League Cup fourth-round ties.
The free-scoring Foxes have scored 30 goals in 16 games this term.
They have the best home record in the Championship (W6, D1).
Top-scorer David Nugent took his tally to eight in Saturday's 2-1 win over Bournemouth.

Fulham
Fulham have won four of their last five games against Leicester City in all competitions (D1).
The Cottagers didn't have a shot on target in Saturday's 2-0 defeat against Southampton.
Fulham have lost two of their last four games in the League Cup against teams from a lower division.
While Leicester have five players who have scored three goals or more this season, Fulham have just one - Darren Bent (three).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24619466?

WhiteJC

Inside The King Power Stadium

Leicester fan Adam Strinati gives us an insight into the home camp ahead of Fulham's trip to the King Power Stadium in Round Four of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening.

What have you made of Leicester's start to the season?

I think we've made a great start. So far we seem to be able to squeeze out results when we haven't always played fantastically well, which we didn't always do last season.

What's the verdict on Nigel Pearson?

I like him. He's a great judge of how the game should be played in the Championship, although he can be a bit reluctant to make changes when we're chasing a match.

What do you feel is a realistic ambition for the Foxes this season?

Our aim is definitely promotion. I would love it to be automatically, but I think we may well end up in the lottery of the Play-Offs again.

Which players have impressed you for Leicester so far this term?

I've been impressed with Jamie Vardy. He's picked himself up this season after taking a lot of stick last term. But I think Danny Drinkwater has impressed the most. When he plays well, the team plays well.

How's former Whites defender Paul Konchesky faring with the Foxes?

Konch has been one our most reliable and trustworthy players since he came here. He's lost a yard of pace since he played at the top, but I'm still glad to have him at the back.

Have you seen much of Fulham so far this season and what have you made of them?

I haven't seen a great deal of Fulham yet this season, but I know it has been a bit up and down. But when I have seen you play, the team play some decent football going forward, and you've been unlucky on occasion.

Which Fulham player will you be most wary of on Tuesday?

I'm not too sure what kind of side you're going to put out but, if he plays, definitely Dimitar Berbatov - he can completely change a game in a moment. Scott Parker is also a class player.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to the King Power Stadium?

The best thing is the modern facilities and accessibility. The worst is that, like a lot of newer grounds, the atmosphere can go a bit flat.

What's the one song we're bound to hear from the home fans?

You're almost guaranteed to hear the 'we love you' song, which we nicked off Crystal Palace, and they took off St Pauli.

Where can away fans go to get a pint before the game?

If you're coming by train there's a pub across the road from the station called The Hind that a lot of away fans use.

What's your score prediction for the game?

I'm going to be confident and go for a 1-0 home win!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/october/28/inside-kp-stadium?

WhiteJC

Capital One Cup: Nigel Pearson thinks Leicester can surprise Fulham

Nigel Pearson hopes Leicester's excellent home form will give them an edge against Fulham in the Capital One Cup.

The City boss saw his side record a seventh successive victory at the King Power Stadium on Saturday as Bournemouth were beaten 2-1 in the Sky Bet Championship - a result which saw Leicester move up to second place in the table.

In eight games in front of the Foxes faithful in all competitions this season only Leeds, with a goalless draw in August, have returned home unbeaten.

Ahead of the visit of Martin Jol's team on Tuesday night, Pearson said: "I think in any cup draw you always hope for a home tie.

"A home tie gives you an advantage and against a Premier League side you might argue that it could level the playing field a little.

"Being strong at home is important to us. I think being strong at home gives you a solid foundation for what you hope to achieve in a season.

"Our home results have been very good so far. We want to continue our run of results at home, of course, and the team I put out on the pitch will reflect that."

Pearson is planning to make changes to his starting line-up for the fourth-round tie, although there will not be a radical overhaul.

The 50-year-old made eight changes against Derby in the previous round but said that will not be the case on Tuesday.

"It won't be wholesale changes like last time, we will just tweak it a little bit," said Pearson.

"Even before the weekend, I had made the decision to make one or two changes. We have got some players who need some pitch time and it has always been my intention to freshen it up somewhat.

"I don't think we will go into the game with a weakened side at all.

"I don't quite understand some people's ideas that it is deemed to be tinkering or weakening the side. I don't see that and I have every confidence in my players.

"Tinker is the wrong word, that suggests that we don't take it seriously and we are playing with it. That is not the case.

"We have got some real competition for places, which is healthy, and I don't think there will be any weakness if we make changes. I know we will have a strong side out."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8996809/?

WhiteJC

Getting Worse Before it Gets Better

Did that fine 4-1 away win, at Selhurst Park, give us false optimism?

I reckon it did because down at St Mary`s, on Saturday, we were decidedly average, kind of proving that Crystal Palace are quite possibly one of the worst sides to play in the Premier League.

Southampton, on the other hand, showed that they have come on leaps and bounds since gaining promotion to the Premier League playing with a vibrancy that is a credit to their management team.

Conceding two early goals left Fulham with a mountain to climb and a mountain they never, ever looked like reaching the summit of.

It is bad enough being beaten but to go a full ninety minutes without having a shot on target is hard to stomach.

Aaron Hughes, discussing the game, probably summed it up well when he remarked to the media,

"We are disappointed - we just never got going. From 2-0 down it is a hard job to get back into a game like that."

"We are very disappointed with the goals conceded. We need to tighten up."

We certainly do because, at the moment we show signs of slipping down the table rather than climbing it and with Manchester United to come next, things could get worse before they get better.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336985#ixzz2j5LBhrRv

WhiteJC

Trotta Bouncing Back

You have to admire Marcello Trotta.

It took a brave man to return to Griffin Park after the drama of last season.

If you recall, Trotta, in the final minute of the final game of the season, against his managers wish, took a vital penalty knowing that if he scored then Brentford would be automatically promoted.

In spectacular fashion his shot hit the bar and from the rebound the opposition raced away to score and gain automatic promotion themselves.

But Marcello did return and after a period where he had to win back the supporters respect, he`s settled back into his stride and was instrumental in Brentford earning a third consecutive win, scoring an early goal.

Hopefully, things will continue to go his way and our West London neighbours can get promoted.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=336986#ixzz2j5LLzMCR

WhiteJC

Bad News, Bad News: Why Fulham Are Relegation Candidates and Why There's Nothing You Can Do About It

Being a Fulham supporter this season has thus far been an exercise in joy and despair. The false dawns have been followed by insipid surrenders and a sober accounting of the club's myriad issues reveals that "Jol out" is hardly a universal remedy to the malaise. Fulham are relegation candidates and likely will be until there's a sea change on the banks of the Thames.

From Crystal Palace to Southampton.

From Jol out to Jol in and back again.

From Berba King to Berba bum.

From born again to bullocks.

All it took was one week. The delirium of the message boards following Pajtim Kasami's opening salvo against Crystal Palace and the deluge that followed to give Fulham an emphatic 4-1 victory over the south London side is well and truly forgotten.

Perhaps that's the supporter's curse - a sort of binary emotional schizophrenia predicated on short-term amnesia that must be either/or, mania/depression, hope/despair. Calls for the end of the Jol-Berbatov marriage dominated social media even before the final whistle had blown in Saturday's match.

Against Crystal Palace, Berbatov was an encouraging and industrious genius, getting on the ball and dictating the flow of play. Against Southampton, Berbatov completed only 59% of his passes (going a criminal 9/16 in the middle third of the field), created 0 chances, had 0 shots (on goal or otherwise), went 0/4 in take ons, and put in 0 tackles. The incident in which cameras caught Scott Parker literally dragging Berbatov to Rickie Lambert just before the Bulgarian lost his mark and allowed Lambert to head home unchallenged for Southampton's first perfectly encapsulates the sort of day it was, both for Berbatov and Fulham.

Fulham's captain wore the tux but refused to conduct the orchestra.

So we're clear, no one in a Fulham shirt came even remotely close to covering himself in glory Saturday. There were some competent displays, but on the whole, the side looked disjointed, poorly organized, and listless.

Particularly galling were Martin Jol's comments after the match in which he seemingly pardoned Berbatov of assuming any responsibility for the club's insipid performance. Speaking to talkSPORT, Jol stated, "It had nothing to do with the front four. It was to do with the defending...It is nothing to do with Berbatov or Bent, it has to do with the application and organization because if you communicate with each other you come away with results."

When asked about the incident that led to Southampton's first goal and Berbatov's poor marking of Rickie Lambert, Jol continued, " Berbatov is our spare man, normally he isn't marking. He's the spare man so maybe before the game we should have told Berbatov to go on Rickie Lambert."

If you're like me, you feel like you're living in Bizarro World or an Orwellian dystopia or with a pathological liar. Fulham mustered 2 scoring attempts (neither of which were on goal) to Southampton's 20; completed only 27 passes in the attacking third; and were out possessed 66.6% to 33.4%.

Nothing to do with the front four, you say? Cool.

Fulham have had a horrid time defending set pieces this season and Southampton have arguably the most dangerous aerial threat in the Premier League in the form of Rickie Lambert.

Maybe before the match you should have told Berbatov or anyone to mark Lambert on set pieces? Never mind that Scott Parker told Berbatov before the corner to mark Lambert. If it's not before the match, it apparently doesn't count.

Watching Mauricio Pochettino's 4-3-3 harass, hurry, and harangue Fulham into a meek surrender Saturday was instructive. The one or two names on the Southampton roster who could justifiably make waves when left on the bench, or even out of the match day squad altogether, don't. The balanced mix of experienced and young players has, Daniel Osvaldo and Victor Wanyama aside, been modestly assembled. Each player in the system knows exactly what is required of him and sets about his task with verve, purpose, and support.

Southampton is a club with the audacity to believe that the above amalgam of characteristics is enough to see them challenge for a Champions League spot. The season is young, but who thus far can tell them no?

In contrast, Fulham's stated goal is lower mid-table. The side is a mix of older, experienced players and Pajtim Kasami. Jol himself characterized Fulham's most recent performance as "like a team of strangers." Verve, purpose, and support, rather than being hallmarks of the side, are whispers that become audible only in matches against inferior competition.

"Jol out", rather than a panacea, is likely an ice bag on a gunshot wound. It's time to face the uncomfortable reality that Fulham are simply not very good, and the malignancies are systemic. The side is too old; lacks pace and balance; is lorded over by a tremendously talented but self-indulgent talisman; is owned by men extremely reluctant to invest substantively in the transfer market; and is managed by a man seemingly impotent to suspend these traits against any but the lowliest of challengers.

Supporting Fulham cannot mean wild vacillations between the insecure joy of the flat track bully and the enraged despair of the unjustly wronged victim. The season is too long for that and the outlook too narrow. Now is the time for a sober accounting of what the side is and what the side is not. There are no easy fixes at present - no player to buy, no player to sell, no manager waiting in the wings.

Bluntly put, Fulham are relegation candidates and there's likely nothing that can be done this season to remedy that.

Here's to survival.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2013/10/28/5038348/bad-news-bad-news-why-fulham-are-relegation-candidates-and-why-theres?

WhiteJC

Taarabt is Fulham's Maradona, says Jol

Craven Cottage manager compares mercurial Moroccan to Argentine legend

Martin Jol reckons Adel Taarabt is Fulham's version of Argentine legend Diego Maradona.

The mercurial Moroccan has endured a frustrating start to his career at Craven Cottage since his loan switch from QPR, making just two league starts.

Taarabt has failed to even make the bench in recent weeks, but is back to fitness and in line to return to the squad for tomorrow night's Capital One Cup clash at Leicester City.

The playmaker's former boss Neil Warnock claimed last week that Taarabt's time in England is up because no other manager can handle him.

But Fulham chief Jol reckons the 24-year-old is only getting started, and likened him to Argentine ace Maradona.

"Taarabt is a Maradona type of talent," said the Dutchman. "He's a one off. You only see three or four players in Europe like him.

"He's one of the most gifted players you will ever see on the pitch, but he has to be a team player as well.

"If things are not coming off people could say he's not a team player and that his time is over.

"But he's still young, so if his time is over we've got a real problem."

Taarabt has scored just once in seven games for Fulham after being frozen out at Loftus Road.

And the former Lens youngster has been doing double sessions in a bid to play catch up after missing most of pre-season.

Jol added: "He will probably be fit and can play against Leicester and from there we can go and make steps."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/taarabt-fulhams-maradona-says-jol-6250174?

jarv

Jol compares Taarabt to Maradona....... fp.gif  What next? Senderos is the new Bobby Moore.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: jarv on October 29, 2013, 10:48:32 AM
Jol compares Taarabt to Maradona....... fp.gif  What next? Senderos is the new Bobby Moore.

I get where the  fp.gif comes from, but, innate talent aside, I don't think Jol is really paying Taarabt a compliment here. For me, the quotes read more like criticism if his ability/willingness to work to apply the gifts he's been given.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

WhiteJC

Tricky Cup tie faces Fulham

Capital One Cup action on Tuesday night gives the Whites a chance to quickly dispel the wave of negativity that has engulfed the club following Saturday's surrender at Southampton.

A match-up with one of the Championship form sides in Leicester City, however, looks fraught with peril, while the ramifications from that performance at St. Mary's run deep, and may yet come to be seen as a watershed in Martin Jol's stewardship of Fulham.

Boasting an enviable home record that has seen the Foxes win their last seven games in all competitions on home turf, a shell-shocked Fulham will be there for the taking on Tuesday night at the King Power Stadium if Nigel Pearson gets it right.

Leicester's manager has already been making the running in the pre-match build up, calling on his side to prove they have the credentials to play in the Premier League. Fulham on the other hand may well by the end of 90 minutes have demonstrated all the hallmarks of a team heading for the Championship.

A 2-1 win over Bournemouth at the weekend pushed City above QPR into 2nd place in the Championship race, where Leicester have the best home record in the division -- won six and drawn one of seven, scoring 30 goals in the process.

The one crumb of comfort for Fulham fans is news that top scorer David Nugent is struggling to be fit. But Leicester have been scoring from all over the pitch this season -- in contrast to the visitors. Fulham, need I remind you, are recording the lowest number of attempts on goal in the entire Premier League, and did not manage one single effort on target last Saturday.

How one addresses Fulham's chances for this fourth round tie I'm not too sure. Has Martin lost the dressing room following the debacle at St. Mary's?

Yet again Jol lost no time undermining his players when asked to analyse just why Southampton could so comprehensively destroy Fulham. No blame must be attached to the anonymous Darren Bent, the dismissive arrogance of Dimitar Berbatov, or the journeymen in midfield. No, it was all the fault of the back four! The way Southampton poured through our ranks with such ease, I reckon the back four did well to keep the score down to two!

Look in the mirror, gaffer. As so many have pointed out with their graphic boards and diligent analysis, thanks to Jol's inability to deploy the right tactics Fulham were a beaten side on Saturday evening before the off. Are we actually watching sides before we play them? Does Jol have any idea what to expect come Tuesday night?

Plenty of questions need answers right now. Not least, can the owner and his advisers ignore the clamour for Jol's head after the Southampton loss? With Manchester United down for the game this week, Jol I feel sure will look to rest some of his favourites. Can those who dodged the bullets at the weekend then step up with real appetite and application? Or is Martin already dusting off his excuses for Tuesday night's press conference?

It's a ghoulish prospect, but this Cup tie will be a barometer as to the current state of a very sick looking football club, playing week in and week out now to a level as poor as anything seen under Lawrie Sanchez.

Amidst so much pessimism, let's point out that Fulham have won four of their last five meetings with Leicester, and just when things could hardly be bleaker, how Fulhamish would it be to see the Whites sweep into the next round. Whoever gets the nod, can they please play for the shirt. The long-suffering support that will follow the team bus up the M1 deserve that at the very least. Win lose or draw, let Fulham FC this week just claw back some self-respect.

This may be an outrageous note to end on, but if Fulham lose badly at Leicester, Jol should be dismissed instantly and Kit Symonds asked to lead the team into Saturday's game against United.

COYW!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1488?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Hughes wants instant improvement
Aaron Hughes admits Fulham need to improve on their weekend display ahead of two big games for the west London club.

Aaron Hughes admits Fulham need to improve on their weekend display ahead of two big games for the west London club.

Fulham host champions Manchester United on Saturday, before which a place in the fifth round of the Capital One Cup is at stake when they travel to Sky Bet Championship side Leicester on Tuesday night.

Northern Ireland defender Hughes, 33, came on as a half-time substitute as the Cottagers crashed 2-0 at in-form Southampton three days ago.

That result actually flattered the visitors, who could have been four or five down by the time Hughes was introduced to stem the flow.

"Sometimes that happens, they put us under a lot of pressure and it was hard for us to get out," he told the club's official website.

"Sometimes, when you come up against a side like that, you've maybe got to take a chance now and again and try something, but it just wasn't happening.

"It was better in the second half but it's an uphill struggle when you are 2-0 down.

"But we will look forward now - that one has gone. We'll look at it, see where we went wrong and look forward to the next week. It's a big week with two big games."

Saturday's appearance was Hughes' first in almost a month after he suffered a thigh injury, and he is now in the frame to start at the King Power Stadium.

"No-one likes to be injured and sat on the sidelines watching," he added. "It was pretty frustrating, especially for someone like myself - touch wood I don't get injured often.

"This one seemed to drag on longer than I hoped. But I worked hard to get back and I'm pleased to be involved again."

Another player battling to prove his fitness is striker Bryan Ruiz, who managed 81 minutes at St Mary's despite carrying a back injury.

He said: "I still have some problems with my back and we're working on that. It's getting better - hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be 100 per cent."

Boss Martin Jol will also check on the fitness of captain Brede Hangeland, who missed out on Saturday with a nerve problem in his leg.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/englishfootball/barclayspremierleague/barclayspremierleaguenews/hughes-wants-instant-improvement-S11363845243279?

WhiteJC

Southampton thoughts
By rich on October 29, 2013

I'm not sure how much can be said that hasn't been said already.

You had one team playing with great verve, organisation and purpose, and another trying to piece things together on the fly.

Allen Wade, Roy Hodgson's mentor, said this about football many years ago:

A *functional* team plays to achieve the best possible match result in all forseeable circumstances. The more functional a team, the greater the reliance on the organisation of collective play. Functional teams are prepared to be predictable in order to improve team efficiency. An *expressionist* team allows the individual players to employ whatever skills they feel are appropriate in defeating opponents. The more expressionist a team, the greater the apparent lack of relationships between individual players. Expressionist teams rely on unpredictability to surprise and defeat opponents.

Fulham under Jol have clearly gone expressionist. Or if they haven't, they're doing a good impression of it.

Southampton were super-functional, drilled and working very very well as a collective.

It was embarrassing: watching a modern team taking apart a ghost of an XI, out of time, luck and ideas. One of those that could have been 5-0 on another day.

The clever thing for Saints is that they expend all this energy but probably end up running less than their opponents! Southampton kept the ball for long stretches, which is much easier on the fitness levels than chasing after it. Jose Mourinho instructs his teams to have a rest in possession, just moving the ball around for a bit and re-gathering themselves. Southampton did this, leaving Fulham players to pointlessly chase around as individuals (Saints hunted in packs, of course). So they basically schooled us, panicking us when we had the ball, tormenting us when we didn't. Embarrassing.

If you've been reading this site for the last few weeks you'll have seen that wherever Fulham are struggling at the moment, Southampton seem to be striving. Where we allow lots of shots, make few tackles or interceptions, and generally make life easier for our opponents than they could ever imagine, Southampton are the opposite, chasing like mad things and spreading panic wherever they go. So their approach would not have been a surprise to Fulham. Nevertheless, it looked that way: with such a gale of pressure Fulham needed to understand their out balls, their approach to being closed down quickly, but we didn't seem to have an answer.

Notionally you beat a pressing team over the top. Pressing is accompanied by a high defensive line to condense the pitch and prevent teams passing around and through a press (think about it this way: if Scott Parker charges at an opponent but the back four stays deep there's a big gap behind him isn't there? But if the back four and the rest of the team are coordinated there isn't this gap). The idea is that you press quickly enough that opponents don't have the time to play a good through ball over the top. For a good example of this going wrong picture Newcastle against Fulham when we won 5-2 or whatever it was a couple of years ago. Newcastle had the high line but didn't get the pressure on the man with the ball and Murphy, Dempsey and Zamora all played some terrific through balls that led to goals, if I remember rightly.

Fulham didn't ever find that time and only played one through ball to Bent, who was wrongly given offside.

(speaking of Bent, he is living down to expectations: a terrific idea as a sub but a non-participant as a starter. Erik Nevland was similar, if less able. Bent does offer a threat over the top but needs to engage more with the rest of the team or we're just playing a man short.)

Bright points? Only that it puts our failings very clearly in perspective. It goes beyond the failings of individials – I think all of our players are reasonable and could perfectly well be part of a top 10 team – there's just a collective meltdown in our play. I made the point on Twitter, but if playing for Fulham were an office job you suspect a good number would be talking to recruiters by now. Nobody looks like they're thriving, enjoying their role, or doing their role well (with the exception of Sidwell, whose qualities lend themselves to chaos! I mean that in a good way...). It was half-encouraging to see Jol move to a 3-5-2 in the second half, and I wouldn't be that surprised to see him persevering with this in the future.

We have the personnel for it and it would be the sort of thing that a struggling manager might attempt just to give a different look, a different approach. Riether and Richardson are made to be wing-backs, and we have plenty of decent centre-backs. It might be an answer.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/southampton-thoughts/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham and Martin Jol are far from safe

Fulham are just two points above the drop zone after Saturday's defeat to Southampton and Andy Brassell tells us why the Cottagers, and their boss Martin Jol, could be in big trouble over the next few weeks and beyond...

If there's one thing more sobering than a comprehensive defeat, it's a comprehensive defeat with a stiff breeze in your face. After Fulham suffered both in the Saturday evening fixture at Southampton, one can only hope for their supporters' sakes that the brace of cold air wakes their players up before it's too late.

Certainly there seems to be a degree of passivity on the pitch which suggests that the squad aren't fully aware of the danger they're in. The Cottagers can be stylish on their day; anybody who saw Bryan Ruiz's delightful dipping shot against Cardiff will still have it engraved on their brain, while Pajtim Kasami and Steve Sidwell swapped wonderstrikes in the same game at Crystal Palace last Monday.

Maybe it was the emphatic nature of that win at Selhurst Park, both in terms of the 4-1 scoreline and the flamboyance of some of the football, that gave Martin Jol's men such a shore leave demeanour when they turned up at St Mary's.

There should not be any doubt that an excellent Southampton were poles apart from the challenge posed by Palace, but the sheer limpness of Fulham's resistance suggested a side bang in trouble (Fulham are 4.7 in the Premier League Relegation market).

The now-infamous footage of Scott Parker pointedly instructing Dimitar Berbatov to pick up Rickie Lambert at a Saints corner, only to see the Bulgarian doze off seconds later and allow Lambert the freedom of Hampshire to nod in the opener, said it all.

Fernando Amorebieta's bizarre assault on Dejan Lovren later in the game told of enormous frustration and very little discipline. Jol may have a leader in the shape of Parker (a sense in which Brede Hangeland was missed at Southampton) but clearly the midfielder is fighting a losing battle, a fact which the manager seems fairly impotent to change at the moment.

The volume of Fulham's win at Palace seemed to have quashed all opposition to Jol, who was backed by Shahid Khan after the game. Yet the new owner has some serious thinking to do over the next few weeks

The next two fixtures pit the west Londoners against Manchester United at home and then Liverpool away. Most fair judges would not expect any points from those, but the sort of competition that Fulham provide could determine Jol's future in the medium-term, at least.

What is imperative is that Fulham arrive in fettle for the next genuinely winnable fixture, against Swansea at Craven Cottage on 23 November.

Two morale-sapping batterings could seriously affect that. In terms of how Fulham shape up against the Swans will be mostly down to Jol. He doesn't have an exceptional squad, granted, but he does have a capable one - players who have carved out good careers in La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and the top end of the Premier League. The fans' very reasonable expectations are not being met.

Some of Fulham's problems are, of course, not Jol's fault. Their away form, for example, was perpetually terrible for seasons before the Dutchman took the helm. Yet while his frank manner may have made him many friends in the media, the shape of his team has already lost him plenty in this corner of SW6. With any more dithering on and off the field, Fulham could find themselves in a Sunderland-shaped hole.

Recommended Bet

Back Fulham to be Relegated @ 4.7

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-fulham-and-martin-jol-are-far-from-safe-291013-666.html?