watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

New manager has to have ties to Fulham

Started by George G, October 30, 2013, 04:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George G

If we are to get a new manager in, I would like it to be someone who has been with Fulham before either as a player, coach or manager.

The reason for this, is I feel we need that passion back amongst the fans. We lost our long standing chairman in the off-season and all our beloved players from the Hodgson era are gone, bar a few (Duff, Hughes, Hangeland). We almost need to get a bit of our identity back.

I would love to see Chris Coleman back actually, especially as Al Fayed has now gone. I understand Cookie did not like the way he was treated. Sacked after being given next to nothing then the following season Sanchez got a huge kitty- something I still don't understand to this day.

So what do you guys think, and if you agree what other names can you think of?

My top 3:

1.Coleman
2. John Collins,
3. Danny Murphy (Preferably as first team coach under one of the above)
Keep calm, think of Fulham FC

leonffc

A bit like Pochettino what ever his name is had links with S'oton?

I don't really care as long as he can get the players going with his training methods.

I wouldnt mind Collins with murph as his No.2 but that would depend what Collins has been up to of late IE. checking out other clubs and their training techniques or sitting around doing a bit of media work.

Hoddle might be alright as long as he doesn't abuse that little section in the Stevenage Road stand

Dragoman

Apparently Coleman has shown an interest in the Crystal Palace job.. so who knows.. he might be approached by Fulham.

Harold Shand

Quote from: George G on October 30, 2013, 04:39:43 PM
If we are to get a new manager in, I would like it to be someone who has been with Fulham before either as a player, coach or manager.

The reason for this, is I feel we need that passion back amongst the fans. We lost our long standing chairman in the off-season and all our beloved players from the Hodgson era are gone, bar a few (Duff, Hughes, Hangeland). We almost need to get a bit of our identity back.

I would love to see Chris Coleman back actually, especially as Al Fayed has now gone. I understand Cookie did not like the way he was treated. Sacked after being given next to nothing then the following season Sanchez got a huge kitty- something I still don't understand to this day.

My top 3:

1.Coleman
2. John Collins,

My top 3:

1.Coleman
2. John Collins,

Sanchez didn't get a big kitty, that's a myth.

Net spend was about £5 million.

Twig

Quote from: leonffc on October 30, 2013, 04:44:25 PM
A bit like Pochettino what ever his name is had links with S'oton?

I don't really care as long as he can get the players going with his training methods.

I wouldnt mind Collins with murph as his No.2 but that would depend what Collins has been up to of late IE. checking out other clubs and their training techniques or sitting around doing a bit of media work.

Hoddle might be alright as long as he doesn't abuse that little section in the Stevenage Road stand

Hoddle seems to be an astute and thoughtful observer of the game, so that is a plus. It seems he might bring some tactical nous and a more modern approach. Whether he is a motivator to bring the passion back is very hard to tell.  He would get a vote from me.

I would certainly welcome back Fulham old boy as Asst Coach, whoever would provide the best mix of chemistry with the Manager.  So often the right partnership is greater than the sum of the parts e.g. Taylor and Clough.  In fact that is one point regards Jol's benighted reign; he has seemed rather isolated at times.  But I guess he took the view he didn't need a Fulham man alongside him and knew all he needed to know.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I completely disagree, although I would like Danny Murphy back as a coach. What would be the point in going back to manager who was simply successful in keeping us up in Chris Coleman? He hasn't done well elsewhere which, for me, states a lot. John Collins? Not much management experience.

Without disrespect, I feel the ideology of our next manager having links to Fulham is a very ancient way of viewing the situation. Roy Hodgson didn't have a link to Fulham, neither did Jean Tigana and they were our most successful managers. What if Danny Murphy was to manage us and fail? It would spoil his legacy with Fulham. A coach yes, a manager no.

If Martin Jol is to leave, we need to move on, we need to progress and we need to move with the times. We need to put faith in our academy and start playing some attractive football. I would go with Zola, but that's if we wait until the summer to rebuild.

George G

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on October 30, 2013, 05:04:25 PM
I completely disagree, although I would like Danny Murphy back as a coach. What would be the point in going back to manager who was simply successful in keeping us up in Chris Coleman? He hasn't done well elsewhere which, for me, states a lot. John Collins? Not much management experience.

Without disrespect, I feel the ideology of our next manager having links to Fulham is a very ancient way of viewing the situation. Roy Hodgson didn't have a link to Fulham, neither did Jean Tigana and they were our most successful managers. What if Danny Murphy was to manage us and fail? It would spoil his legacy with Fulham. A coach yes, a manager no.

If Martin Jol is to leave, we need to move on, we need to progress and we need to move with the times. We need to put faith in our academy and start playing some attractive football. I would go with Zola, but that's if we wait until the summer to rebuild.

Fair point. Zola wouldn't be a bad shout

westcliff white

Quote from: Harold Shand on October 30, 2013, 04:56:45 PM

My top 3:

1.Coleman
2. John Collins,

My top 3:

1.Coleman
2. John Collins,

Sanchez didn't get a big kitty, that's a myth.

Net spend was about £5 million.

I can't think who he sold but Sanchez spent just over 6 mill on Kamari, around 3.5 on Healy, his only good signings were Hughes for 2 million ish and barid can't remember what we paid for him.

In total he spent close on 13 million, but incoming I can't remember certainly don't think it was 8-10 million.

But it reminds me how bad he truly was.

I don't care if the new guy (if there is one)  has ties to Fulham, as long as he can coach the best out of the players and motivate them to want to wear the white shirt and get better results then that's good enough for me.
Every day is a Fulham day

grandad

We are having a dreadful time with the fanatical Jol Outers. Were you not around when the Coleman Outers were about. Are they the same platoon I wonder? Maybe one or two were Dicks Outers.
Where there's a will there's a wife

George G

Quote from: grandad on October 30, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
We are having a dreadful time with the fanatical Jol Outers. Were you not around when the Coleman Outers were about. Are they the same platoon I wonder? Maybe one or two were Dicks Outers.

I am not a fanatical Jol outer in the slightest. This is the first time I have actually thought a change in manager might be needed. I am always one who believes managers should be given time. I never wanted Coleman out and would quite like his back because of his passion for Fulham.

sims48

Although some of the names banded around would be brilliant, I kind of have a little feeling that we might go for Martin O'Niell.

A few other guys I would like to see mentioned would be the likes of, RDM, Ince,
Ralf Rangnick.

Also I would love to see Victor Pereria our manager but really can't see us pulling that off.....

And finally here's just another name maybe to think about Billy McKinlay.

St Eve

Bring Malcolm MacDonald back! or Keegan! or Dowie! Maybe Volz or McBride can be the assistant's!

Fernhurst

So.....George Cohen with Fred Callaghan as defensive coach then?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Al

I would like to see Lee Clark return. He has worked hard with Birmingham, would get dan burn back and playing for us. Epitomised hard working player, and a Fulham legend

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: grandad on October 30, 2013, 05:39:20 PM

There's just no place for them in public, certainly not at games.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

JackyFulham90

I think Jol will be given until the end of the season to deliver a top 10 finish to earn a new deal, if he doesn't achieve this then Zola or Solskjaer would be good appointments

Furby

I like some of the names mentioned that have no connection with us at all (not o'Neill though) but totally dislike the idea of Coleman or Clarke as managers. Like Frankie Peter Taylor said Coleman has proved he's not up to scratch as a manager since us, Clarke is still learning and Fulham would be too big for him at the moment.

I love the idea of Murphs being the assistant manager/coach. My choice of manager would be Hoddle or Solskjaer.

sims48

I think Solsjaer would be very good, but I know a lot of the time it is paper talk but didn't he turn down Villa when they were in a similar position to us?

Ralf Rangnick for me though, looks decent and no fee to release him from a club so that always seems to sway the people footing the bills!

Pluto

Sadly there is no one with ties to the club currently capable enough to take over apart from one Roy Hodgson.

Edit: add Montella to that list, though getting him is no more realistic.

Burt

Not sure I am that fussed about links to the club...our most successful ones in our recent history have had no links at all.