News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

OK, so you are the new manager, what do you do differently?

Started by horse1031, November 04, 2013, 08:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

Hypothetically, you have been brought in as Jol's replacement.  Who would be on your staff?  What formation would you use?  What players would you play and why?

I am as frustrated as anyone watching us play such dire football but my question is do we have the players to gel and play good football.  Obviously, the team is individually talented but can we really get Taarabt, Berba, Ruiz, Bent playing together or do we just play 1 of them and get some hard working players around them to get a result.  Roy Hodgson would have loved to have the talent that this team has but would he been able to deal with Berba and rest?  A manager that has some balls would do something like this and play players who are actually putting in shifts and will track back for the TEAM.  Sir Alex knew that Berba was luxury so he didn't play him, simply as that.  He might have the most talent Fulham has ever had but he is also up there with the worst work ethic.

4-4-1-1

Stekelenburg

Zverotic    Hughes   Amorebieta   Richardson

Dejegah   Parker     Boateng    Duff

Kasami
                           Rodallega

Bench Berba, Bent, Taarabt, Ruiz and tell them if they don't work for the team then they arent playing.  That leaves us with a problem, we are paying them a bunch of money.... fp.gif

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I change the shape, and I change the style.

-----------Stekenlenburg
Riether Hangeland Amorebieta Richardson
---------------Boateng
-------Parker--------Kasami
Dejagah---------------------Kacanikilic
--------------Berbatov

I tell them to play from the back, and to move off the ball. If losing (I'd be in charge so obviously we wouldn't lose) we'd have the choice of Taarabt, Ruiz and Bent.

I'd kick Berbatov up the arse, not literally, and tell him to be the genius he is.

Sheepskin Junior

First thing I'd do is remind Berbatov that the badge on his chest is far more important than the name on the shirt. Perhaps bench him for a couple of games to try and get his ego in check. Give a lot of the team a kick up the arse, literally, maybe I'm more harsh than Frankie.

Stockdale (until Stek is 100% and showing good form)
Riether Hughes Hangeland Amorebieta
Parker Boateng
Sidwell
Dejagah Kacaniklic
Bent (once Berbatov has realised he's expendable, bring him in)

Bench
Stock/Stek, Zverotic, Senderos/Richardson, Kasami, Ruiz/Karagounis, Taarabt/Duff, Berbatov/Bent/Rodallega
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Chutney

Get the players keeping their shape and somehow get them to remember how to defend. We are doing so many of the basics wrong and correcting this was the first thing Hodgson did when he came in.

I'd simplify things, we need to pack the midfield due the central payers being slow and ageing.

I'd play this simple 4-5-1:

Stockdale

- Until Stekelenburg is 100% fit and confident

Reither Hughes hangeland Amorebieta

- All solid experienced defenders, this foundation at the back will allow the midfield to push forward

Boateng

- I am by no means his biggest fan but we need an etuhu type shield in front of the defence, since we lost this we have been a worse side. Boateng does this role very well.

Dejagah Parker Kasami Kacaniklic

- When Kasami went into the middle against united he looked very good, defensively and attacking wise. Kacaniklic needs to start, he changed the game.

Berbatov

- Berbatov is still our best player and I think with Dejagah and Kacanklic back he will shine, he has always performed well alongside kacaniklic and they seem to compliment each other very well. Bent is a fantastic option as a last 20 minutes impact player to stop teams pushing up on us.

- This formation also allows us to being on ruiz for boateng when we need an extra body up top to provide support for the striker, this would create a more dynamic attacking side but sacrifice the holding midfield player. It allows the side to offer a multi dimensional threat, currently we seem to have one plan for every game and situation.
C O Y W

ToodlesMcToot

Ok. I'll play.

First, since we don't know whether or not any current contracts contain any "If I'm fit, I play" clauses, so I'm going to assume there are none.

Second, I have a chat with Hangeland and Berba and pull the captains armband. Until I see who shows the qualities I value (respect of the team, communication, vocal leadership on the pitch, consistent quality thru each week), I'll be giving the armband out weekly. Once patterns have established, I'll name a captain and vice-captain.

Third, no more gauranteed starting spots for players. I feel that it's been obvious that this is the case with Jol and it stops with me.

Fourth, we're going to start with a 4-4-2 and move forward from there. If we can maintain a solid defence and build a more flowing attack using a different base formation, we can experiment with it later in the season or next season.

Fifth, I recall Burn and rest Hangeland until he's 100% over the nerve issue. He can't freaking jump right now. He has no business on the field until he's 100%. Same with Ruiz. I can move players around to absorb his absence until his back is 100%. Many knocks/injuries can be played thru. I'm of the opinion that backs, necks, and nerves are the kind of injuries that rob players of their concentration and awareness and I think that has shown in both players' performances this season.

My first team, to begin with, and based solely upon what I've seen on the field this season, would be:

Stek
Reither     Hughes     Amore      Richardson
Dejagah   Parker       Kasami     Kaka
             Taarabt
                      Bent

I don't know enough coaches to say who I'd choose to bring in with me, but I'd likely start with the most hard nosed and organized defensive-minded coach that I could find in the Championship/Bundesliga/Seria A and buy him from whomever he worked for. Mr. Khan has said that he'd fund the resources needed. Let's start there and see if he can back that promise up.

It's a decent start. As expected, it likely demonstrates more about what I don't know about the goings on in a football club than what I do know. But that's ok.

Seriously though, I think it's very important for the club and manager (no matter who it is) to instigate a better rapport with the fans. It's corny, but I'd seriously consider some sort of weekly/pre-game fan event to drive up spirit within the fanbase and reconnect them with the team. If one wants to deem them pep rallies, then so be it. I'm no long term supporter of the club, but in my short time this relatioinship is the worst I've seen/read about.

I'd work to find a way to be more open with the fans about the direction of the club. Mr Khan seems to be open to this and participates in it, but I don't get the sense that the fans really know much more than they did previously about the direction the club want to go with the roster. I think things can be far more clear with the progress of the Riverside. I think Jol's/the manager's post game chat with Ms Brooks could be far more informative with what the team was trying to implement, why, why it failed/succeeded, and what in retrospect might have worked better.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

Before I signed I would first want to know what funds would be available so that I could bring in the players I want & not those that Mackintosh says I can have. I would want a new young top class LB, 2 new central defenders, 2 creative pacy attacking midfielders & 2 top drawer strikers. I would part fund the new players wages by selling or releasing, Riise, Hughes, Senderos, Briggs, Duff, Berbatov & Bent. I would also get rid of some of the coaching hangers on & bring in Danny Murphy & John Collins & promote Kit Symons to the 1st team. Then I will kick a$$.
Where there's a will there's a wife

leonffc

Get Southfield white in as my No.2 :-)

Pressing and high tempo training drills whilst focusing on attacking play too. Probably attacking play that involves pace and numbers in the opposition box!!
I'd have a friendly chat with Berbatov to explain why I'm taking the armband away from him.
4-2-3-1 formation. I'm not naming the team as i dont like doing that as that always depends on who and where we are playing. IE Berbatov doesn't play up top on his own away from home!!

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: grandad on November 04, 2013, 09:45:28 PM
Before I signed I would first want to know what funds would be available so that I could bring in the players I want & not those that Mackintosh says I can have. I would want a new young top class LB, 2 new central defenders, 2 creative pacy attacking midfielders & 2 top drawer strikers. I would part fund the new players wages by selling or releasing, Riise, Hughes, Senderos, Briggs, Duff, Berbatov & Bent. I would also get rid of some of the coaching hangers on & bring in Danny Murphy & John Collins & promote Kit Symons to the 1st team. Then I will kick a$$.

Wait a minute! I get transfer funds?!!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

grandad

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 04, 2013, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: grandad on November 04, 2013, 09:45:28 PM

Wait a minute! I get transfer funds?!!

Well MAF gave Hughes & Woy 50 quid.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Bassey the warrior

I'd employ a tough training regime. Working on team shape as the team needs to be more compact both offensively and defensively, working on off thr ball movement and showing for the ball. Finally to improve fitness.

As for the line up that depends largely on how people reacted to the training, but I'd train Kasami to play central midfield as that's where his future lies. Also feel Boateng should play to give us protection.

valdeingruo

I give them a sense of purpose, an objective and a team spirit. Training would be implemented Ajax style and then we would drive a defensive mentality back into the squad. Every member of the squad would know their role. The players would know under my regieme no one is safe, an in game error is one thing, but continued lack of form is another. The dropped player would be made known that they arent ostrisized and extra time in training would be given to allow them the chance to work their way back into the first team.

The first team would coordinate atleast one practice with either the U21s or U18s a week. The youngsters would get used to the first team and would also see that they have a chance at playing with the big boys one day.

Finally, the squad WILL go to the support and clap them, every game, no matter the result. Any player from the squad who doesnt would be dropped.

Funds if given would go into a creative midfielder, not out of the bargain bin if we could help it.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

YankeeJim

Many good ideas here, especially the comment about the arm band by Tootles. Since I'm American & therefore no nothing about this sport  086.gif, I'd firstly plant a very large boot up one egotist bun and advise him that folks that play this sport run. Any walking & someone else will get a run out even if its the middle of the first half.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

VamosFFC

I'd like to see a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3. My lineup would be something like this: Reither and Richardson can be used as outside wingers going up and down the flanks, while also helping out in defense when needed. Parker and Boateng/Sidwell can run the center of midfield, while Kasami and Kacaniklic are not out and out forwards, but play higher up the pitch then your average midfielder.

Stekelenburg
                     Hughes    Hangeland    Amorebieta
          Reither                                                Richardson
                                Parker Boateng

Kasami                                     Kacaniklic/Taarabt
                                  Rodallega

Black, White and Fred

Stek
Reither (VC)    Hughes (Brede when fit)     Amore      Zverotic
                            Parker (C)/Derek (Against your Stokes etc)
                 Dejagah     Kasami    Kaka
                          Taarabt
                                 Bent

Option of Ruiz off the bench agaisnt less physical teams, Taarabt loves a shot but playing from the wing means he is always shooting from distance. Bent knows where the goal is and is the sort of player to follow up Adel's efforts and put them away. He will also create more space than Berba by sitting on the last defenders shoulder.

Sitting Parker/Derek in front of the back four offers so much more stability and really allows Kasami to boss the middle of the park interplaying with the four around him.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Rudolph

And so the Hughes/Senderos tennis match begins.  Senderos hits bad form, so no one fancies him at the back and there is a clamour for Hughes to be drafted in.  A couple of defeats later the swing goes towards Senderos as Hughes isn't up to it anymore... and so on...

I'll level with you, neither are good enough for a sustained run in the team.  We will need to buy or call Dan Burn back from loan. 

the nutflush

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 04, 2013, 09:44:53 PM
Ok. I'll play.

First, since we don't know whether or not any current contracts contain any "If I'm fit, I play" clauses, so I'm going to assume there are none.

Second, I have a chat with Hangeland and Berba and pull the captains armband. Until I see who shows the qualities I value (respect of the team, communication, vocal leadership on the pitch, consistent quality thru each week), I'll be giving the armband out weekly. Once patterns have established, I'll name a captain and vice-captain.

Third, no more gauranteed starting spots for players. I feel that it's been obvious that this is the case with Jol and it stops with me.

Fourth, we're going to start with a 4-4-2 and move forward from there. If we can maintain a solid defence and build a more flowing attack using a different base formation, we can experiment with it later in the season or next season.

Fifth, I recall Burn and rest Hangeland until he's 100% over the nerve issue. He can't freaking jump right now. He has no business on the field until he's 100%. Same with Ruiz. I can move players around to absorb his absence until his back is 100%. Many knocks/injuries can be played thru. I'm of the opinion that backs, necks, and nerves are the kind of injuries that rob players of their concentration and awareness and I think that has shown in both players' performances this season.

My first team, to begin with, and based solely upon what I've seen on the field this season, would be:

Stek
Reither     Hughes     Amore      Richardson
Dejagah   Parker       Kasami     Kaka
              Taarabt
                       Bent

I don't know enough coaches to say who I'd choose to bring in with me, but I'd likely start with the most hard nosed and organized defensive-minded coach that I could find in the Championship/Bundesliga/Seria A and buy him from whomever he worked for. Mr. Khan has said that he'd fund the resources needed. Let's start there and see if he can back that promise up.

It's a decent start. As expected, it likely demonstrates more about what I don't know about the goings on in a football club than what I do know. But that's ok.

Seriously though, I think it's very important for the club and manager (no matter who it is) to instigate a better rapport with the fans. It's corny, but I'd seriously consider some sort of weekly/pre-game fan event to drive up spirit within the fanbase and reconnect them with the team. If one wants to deem them pep rallies, then so be it. I'm no long term supporter of the club, but in my short time this relatioinship is the worst I've seen/read about.

I'd work to find a way to be more open with the fans about the direction of the club. Mr Khan seems to be open to this and participates in it, but I don't get the sense that the fans really know much more than they did previously about the direction the club want to go with the roster. I think things can be far more clear with the progress of the Riverside. I think Jol's/the manager's post game chat with Ms Brooks could be far more informative with what the team was trying to implement, why, why it failed/succeeded, and what in retrospect might have worked better.

I like your lineup.  Its exactly the same as mine.  Spot on.

Count Berbatov

The team simply needs movement on and off the ball. Also, how can no one recognizes the problem is beyond me. The midfield is the weakest in the PL currently. Well, definitely the weakest of links at Fulham. People keep slating the attacking four, or the back four, but the central midfield pair of whichever two you put out there is where the problem lies. Parker hasn't had a good game ever since his debut. Sidwell is just not good enough. I love Karagounis and his intelligence on the pitch.
So based on what's available, I would play 3 in the middle
Karagounis - Parker - Boateng (Sidwell)
Front 3 of Dejagah - Berbatov (that's right) - Kasami
What this team needs is simply more movement when both in possession and when defending. And yes, Berbatov can do that too. I have seen him do it.
This team is freaking talented and capable of pushing for Europe ffs. Get off their back. I just don't know what Jol is doing back there. He obviously has the players' respect. They must be doing what he tells them to. Which is a shame, as I really think he's a good manager.
For me, just play 3 in the middle.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

MJG

Quote from: Rudolph on November 05, 2013, 03:08:20 AM

I'll level with you, neither are good enough for a sustained run in the team.  We will need to buy or call Dan Burn back from loan. 
been telling you over a year that Senderos is no good week in week out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rudolph

Quote from: MJG on November 05, 2013, 07:04:07 AM
Quote from: Rudolph on November 05, 2013, 03:08:20 AM

been telling you over a year that Senderos is no good week in week out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The important bit was sustained run in the team. He would be fine if his confidence is high, but sadly that is in short supply at the moment. I've always said he should move on to a team and support that gel with him. Hughes on the other hand would be a disaster to return, which is probably why so many are up for it in order to ensure Jol's departure.

elgreenio

Kasami in centre midfield instead of Sidwell, not a lot else.
touch my camera through the fence