News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

OK, so you are the new manager, what do you do differently?

Started by horse1031, November 04, 2013, 08:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBH

I'd get shot of Berbatov and play the following

Stek

Zerovic                Hangerland               Hughes       Amorebieta

Kaca                Boeteng              Parker              Kasami       

Ruiz   

Bent                             

alfie

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

Quote from: alfie on November 05, 2013, 12:43:47 PM
How come none of you lot are premiership managers?

People have been saying what they would do, replying to a reasonable question with some good logical suggestions. they can do no worse than the present manager can they?

mullers

Watching this team I keep thinking of Roy going on about the shape of his side when they didn't have the ball. It took 3 - 4 months of work but it eventually took us to 7th and Hamburg. Jol talks about a knife through butter to describe the defence and then tries to accentuate the positives about the squad. That's the problem.

JBH

Quite simple really, I'm not willing to take a pay cut

mikeyffc28

Drop Berbatov to the bench.
Drop Ruiz over a cliff.
Make Parker Captain

Starting 11:
                  Stek

Reither  Hughes  Senderos    Amore

Dejagah  Parker   Boateng    Kacaniklic

Kasami     Bent

Bench: Stockdale, Hangers, Sidwell, Taraabt, Rodders, Berba   

Get the lads to actually play a forward pass when not under pressure rather than the constant pass back all the way to keeper when it isnt necessary.  :doh: fp.gif

Actually take a shot at goal rather than trying to pass the ball into the net - nice to see that some players have started to do this recently.

horse1031

I like the calls for Parker to become captain and for Kasami to possibly get a run out for Sidwell in the center.  This would also give us an opportunity to play Dejegah and Kaca on the wings together.  It would be nice to get a midfield enforcer like Boateng in the game as well.  I think Jol needs to figure out the defense before we figure out how to score.

FFC1987

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2013, 12:47:07 PM

People have been saying what they would do, replying to a reasonable question with some good logical suggestions. they can do no worse than the present manager can they?

YES!!!!! We could be 20th....

FFC1987

Without trying to put a downer on this, would I have had all of jol's experiences and badges to match or just my current one's? (I'm not plugging Jol but as my current achievements stem to playing in FA cup preliminary rounds, I find myself capable to managing say a grass root saturday side but out of depth when it comes to professional football and most semi pro teams....) Call me a snob but Football manager achievements don't hold any credentials with me im afraid...even if I did get Mansfields to the Champions league...

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2013, 12:47:07 PM

Well yes they can because
1. it is a different story when you are doing it for real
2. As yet we are not relegated and not actually in the relegation zone, but we could be with any of the respondees.
3. I know it is only a bit of fun, and  so was my comment.

Still if you want to make something serious out of it then so be it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

Come Saturday we could be, perhaps a smiley would help others to understand your post was in jest and not a sarcy comment eh Alfie?

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on November 05, 2013, 06:02:21 PM
Come Saturday we could be, perhaps a smiley would help others to understand your post was in jest and not a sarcy comment eh Alfie?

point taken
:023:
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

Vermeer

I agree with Horse and his team and ethic. But just to say it's pointless benching Berba. He will never change. Get rid of him and sell Ruiz too. They don't belong here
any more than Jol does

JackyFulham90

If I was manager

My team for this season would be

Stekelenburg
Riether Hangeland Amorebieta Richardson
                    Parker Boateng
Dejagah              Kasami               Kacaniklic
                             Bent

Subs - Stockdale , Hughes , Sidwell , Karagounis , Taarabt , Ruiz , Rodallega

Parker would be made captain

At the end of this season I would let go of
Hughes , Riise , Senderos , Duff , Karagounis , Berbatov

Would try to sign Taarabt permanently but let Bent return to Villa.

Next season Burn , David , Mesca , Dembele would be part of my squad

Holders

Quote from: mullers on November 05, 2013, 12:48:36 PM
Watching this team I keep thinking of Roy going on about the shape of his side when they didn't have the ball. It took 3 - 4 months of work but it eventually took us to 7th and Hamburg. Jol talks about a knife through butter to describe the defence and then tries to accentuate the positives about the squad. That's the problem.

Precisely. I'm not sure we actually have the personnel to play the "two banks of four" the demise of which is, in my view, the source of our present malaise.

Anyway, since we're playing managers, with our present resources I'd play this:

Stek
                    Riether   Senderos   Amo   Richardson
                      Dejagah  Boateng  Parker  Kasami
                                       Ruiz
                                          Bent

Subs: Stockers, Zverotic, Sidders, Taarabt, Rodders

Parker to be captain, new defence coach brought in to drill them, hour after hour, day after day, in 2 banks of 4 and switching between attacking and defensive shapes.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

F(f)CUK

I would talk a lot of sense in after match interviews about how the team was not performing or carrying out my orders.  I would then blame the fans for getting on my back and the players' backs.  I would say that we need to build the team around Ruiz as he is arguably our best player.  I would talk about how lucky Fulham are to have me.  I would not actually change anything and finally I would take my gardening leave whilst having my contract paid off. 090.gif

Jack Fulham

win-dup

Quote from: horse1031 on November 04, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
Hypothetically, you have been brought in as Jol's replacement.  Who would be on your staff?  What formation would you use?  What players would you play and why?

I am as frustrated as anyone watching us play such dire football but my question is do we have the players to gel and play good football.  Obviously, the team is individually talented but can we really get Taarabt, Berba, Ruiz, Bent playing together or do we just play 1 of them and get some hard working players around them to get a result.  Roy Hodgson would have loved to have the talent that this team has but would he been able to deal with Berba and rest?  A manager that has some balls would do something like this and play players who are actually putting in shifts and will track back for the TEAM.  Sir Alex knew that Berba was luxury so he didn't play him, simply as that.  He might have the most talent Fulham has ever had but he is also up there with the worst work ethic.

4-4-1-1

Stekelenburg

Zverotic    Hughes   Amorebieta   Richardson

Dejegah   Parker     Boateng    Duff

Kasami
                          Rodallega

Bench Berba, Bent, Taarabt, Ruiz and tell them if they don't work for the team then they arent playing.  That leaves us with a problem, we are paying them a bunch of money.... fp.gif

Macedo

Cohen Langley

Mullery Bentley Lowe

Leggat Robson Jezzard Haynes Chamberlain

twenty pounds a week wages, three pounds win bonus and this lot would score a hundred goals a season. Mind you they would concede a hundred too.

MJG

I would revamp the first team coaching team. Get a new fitness coach in as well.
Find out the injury situation of all the players. Who's really injured, who carrying etc.
integrate a number of the U21 team into the first team squad.
Talk to Brede and see if he is happy to be captain or would prefer at this time to hand it over to Parker while we are in this mess.
Find out if Berbatov is up for a fight and if his contract does have a 'play me when fit' clause (which I doubt).

The game plan would be to get 4 in midfield with 2 proper wide men with pace in the squad. Forward wise would depend on who we were playing. Two right up top pressing or 1 behind the striker.

The Def/Mid to know their positions and what they need to do when attacking and defending.
Everyone starts with a blank sheet of paper and need to earn their place. (well I'll be honest and say not Senderos as I just do not rate him)

All this with the players we already have at the club.

In essence a game plan which we do not have at the moment.

nose

Quote from: MJG on November 06, 2013, 01:47:07 PM
I would revamp the first team coaching team. Get a new fitness coach in as well.
Find out the injury situation of all the players. Who's really injured, who carrying etc.
integrate a number of the U21 team into the first team squad.
Talk to Brede and see if he is happy to be captain or would prefer at this time to hand it over to Parker while we are in this mess.
Find out if Berbatov is up for a fight and if his contract does have a 'play me when fit' clause (which I doubt).

The game plan would be to get 4 in midfield with 2 proper wide men with pace in the squad. Forward wise would depend on who we were playing. Two right up top pressing or 1 behind the striker.

The Def/Mid to know their positions and what they need to do when attacking and defending.
Everyone starts with a blank sheet of paper and need to earn their place. (well I'll be honest and say not Senderos as I just do not rate him)

All this with the players we already have at the club.

In essence a game plan which we do not have at the moment.

This is exactly what I hope my answer would have been if I would have got here first!!! 
The key issue is getting the coaching right, and that would encompass all the stuff like making sure the team/squad were a  united unit and really fought for each other. As you go down the other points, I agree with them all.

Great post