watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark Schwarzer retires from Socceroos

Started by lamby, November 06, 2013, 01:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamby

Australia's most capped player of all-time, Mark Schwarzer, has announced his retirement from international football.

Schwarzer departs from the Socceroos having played 109 times for the national team since making his debut way back in 1993.

In that time, the 41-year old has been forced to compete with other elite keepers such as Mark Bosnich and Zeljko Kalac but outlasted them and several others.
Advertisement

He has been to two World Cups and was an integral part of five World Cup qualifying campaigns. Most famously, he saved two penalties for the Socceroos in the successful play-off against Uruguay in 2005

Schwarzer originally had plans of going to Brazil with the Socceroos but it's thought the change of manager from Holger Osieck to Ange Postecoglou may have played a part in his decision.

Postecoglou is due to announce on Wednesday morning his first Australian squad for the friendly against Costa Rica at Allianz Stadium on November 19. While Postecoglou is expected to name an experienced squad for the match, he has a plan to renew the Socceroos with fresh faces in time for the world's biggest sporting event.

While Schwarzer had his heart set on playing in a third straight World Cup, his decision to sign as Petr Cech's back-up at Chelsea – where he has not played a single league match this campaign – has led to many questioning whether he would be match-hardened for Brazil.

He will continue to act as Chelsea's reserve keeper but is out of contract at the end of the year.

There will now be a major race between several well-credentialed keepers to take over from Schwarzer for the number one keeper's mantle.

Among those vying for the position are Borussia Dortmund's Mitch Langerak, Liverpool's Brad Jones, Adelaide's Eugene Galekovic, Reading's Adam Federici and Club Bruges' custodian Matt Ryan.

Mark Schwarzer

Born: Sydney

Position: Goalkeeper

International debut: 1993 v Canada (World Cup qualifier)
International appearances: 109
World Cups: 2006, 2010
Asian Cups: 2007, 2011
Clubs: Australia - Marconi Stallions (1990-94); Europe - Dynamo Dresden (1994-95), FC Kaiserslautern (1995-96), Bradford City (1996-97), Middlesbrough (1997-2008), Fulham (2008-13), Chelsea (2013-)
Trophies: League Cup (2003-04 with Middlesbrough)
Honours: Fulham Player of the Year 2008-09; Australian Footballer of the Year 2009, 2010; Order of Australia Medal 2009; Premier League Player of the Month (February 2010)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/mark-schwarzer-retires-from-socceroos-20131106-2x06m.html

South Aussie

LEGEND of Australian Football..Ill never forget the Penalty saves against Uruguay to send Australia into the 2006 World Cup. Interested to see how Australia plays against Costa Rica, hopefully Ange Postecoglou introduces his 4-3-3 false 9 formation which he implemented at Brisbane and Melbourne.  

Big Martin Jol

Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

the nutflush

Quote from: South Aussie on November 06, 2013, 02:57:43 AM
LEGEND of Australian Football..Ill never forget the Penalty saves against Uruguay to send Australia into the 2006 World Cup. Interested to see how Australia plays against Costa Rica, hopefully Ange Postecoglou introduces his 4-3-3 false 9 formation which he implemented at Brisbane and Melbourne.   

I still get goosebumps watching replays of that penalty shootout.  He must be disappointed but I think a change is necessary.  Has been outstanding for both Australia and Fulham. 

HatterDon

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on November 06, 2013, 03:37:45 AM
Gutted for him.

not me; if he had gone to a team where he had a chance of playing regularly, he'd still be in the mix for the WC. There were several Championship sides he could have helped, but he preferred the money at Chelsea.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SmithyFFC

Quote from: HatterDon on November 06, 2013, 04:23:55 AM
Gutted for him.

not me; if he had gone to a team where he had a chance of playing regularly, he'd still be in the mix for the WC. There were several Championship sides he could have helped, but he preferred the money at Chelsea.

+1, such a shame he'll retire as a Chelsea sub, he deserves so much more.
FTID

callumc513

Gutted for him.

Absolutely, can't see how he deserves empathy.

JIMMY D

He will always be a Fulham legend. Great world class keeper.

RaySmith

If we had kept him at Fulham, it would have been beneficial for both parties. We've missed him.

Sad to hear he hasn't achieved this last ambition of his career, but he is a Fulham legend, and a great pro.

JBH

Gutted for him.

:plus one: Its down to his greed so no sympathy for him whatsoever :028:

dartfordwhite

Quote from: JBH on November 06, 2013, 10:34:12 AM
Gutted for him.

I don't know about that. I think that at the end of your career, where you know you're not 1st choice anymore, even the slim opportunity to finally be able to play in the champions league would be a big draw. I wish he had stayed and finished with us but honestly can't blame him for wanting one last crack at it. Feel for him not getting to go to the world cup just because of a manger change.

JBH

Quote from: dartfordwhite on November 06, 2013, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: JBH on November 06, 2013, 10:34:12 AM
Gutted for him.

I don't know about that. I think that at the end of your career, where you know you're not 1st choice anymore, even the slim opportunity to finally be able to play in the champions league would be a big draw. I wish he had stayed and finished with us but honestly can't blame him for wanting one last crack at it. Feel for him not getting to go to the world cup just because of a manger change.

Sorry but he left because he wasn't willing to fight for his place in the side and went to Chelsea where he had know chance of playing

SoCalJoe

I'm sure he knew before he signed that contract at the Dogtrack that the chance to start in Brazil was over as soon as the ink dried (barring an injury to Cech). At his age he weighed the options of starting in the Championship or being a reserve for a heavyweight, and chose the latter. Won't slate him for doing that since at 41 it probably had as much to do with not uprooting his family than anything else.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

RaySmith

ap
Quote from: SoCalJoe on November 06, 2013, 12:10:33 PM
I'm sure he knew before he signed that contract at the Dogtrack that the chance to start in Brazil was over as soon as the ink dried (barring an injury to Cech). At his age he weighed the options of starting in the Championship or being a reserve for a heavyweight, and chose the latter. Won't slate him for doing that since at 41 it probably had as much to do with not uprooting his family than anything else.

You don't know what he thought or what influenced his  decision.

I think that he definitely did want to  play in the WC, and maybe thought that playing for Chelsea, with a chance of playing in  European games, made him think he probably had a better chance than playing in  a lower league.

But the new manager of Australia has obviously told him he isn't in his plans.

SoCalJoe

Quote from: RaySmith on November 06, 2013, 12:24:12 PM
ap

I think that he definitely did want to  play in the WC, and maybe thought that playing for Chelsea, with a chance of playing in  European games, made him think he probably had a better chance than playing in  a lower league.

But the new manager of Australia has obviously told him he isn't in his plans.

True, no one knows exactly what his exact influences were, but as an educated guess (notice how you led with 'you don't know', then followed with your own speculation?) not having to move and take his kids out of school while still being well compensated was probably factored in highly. At 25, you make career decisions on what's best for you. At 40 you tend to make career decisions on what's best for your kids.

I will agree with you this announcement didn't come without discussions w/the Australian manager.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

fulham traveller

how is he to blame foe leaving the cottage for them, we never offered him a contract, he is still better than whet we have, I wish him good luck, top top keeper

HatterDon

Quote from: fulham traveller on November 06, 2013, 01:32:16 PM
how is he to blame foe leaving the cottage for them, we never offered him a contract, he is still better than whet we have, I wish him good luck, top top keeper

From what I read, we offered him a contract extension but he turned it down because we wouldn't guarantee him a starting position. He then went to Chelsea where he knew he'd never start.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Arthur

Quote from: SoCalJoe on November 06, 2013, 12:43:59 PM
Quote from: RaySmith on November 06, 2013, 12:24:12 PM
ap
I'm sure he knew ...

I think that...

(notice how you led with 'you don't know', then followed with your own speculation?)

If you claim, SCJ, to be 'sure' of something (i.e. completely confident of being right), you can't expect other people to regard it as 'speculation' (i.e. an opinion without any definite evidence).

As such, there is nothing contradictory about RS challenging your statement and then going on to speculate himself.

ron

Quote from: JIMMY D on November 06, 2013, 07:47:06 AM
He will always be a Fulham legend. Great world class keeper.

Absolutely. Let's remember him that way instead of sniping at his motives for going to Chelsea. Blood being thicker than water, he chose to get some cash for his family's future security, and who could blame anyone for doing that?

God The Mechanic

What's with all the poo flinging at old players over the last few years?

You're winding down to retirement, your current employer has effectively just replaced you and offered you a part-time contract.  A bigger company comes along, offering you more pay with likely fewer hours (possibly even a chance to travel to exotic locations with work).  More time to spend with family, doing  other hobbies and generally enjoying life (in the same city for added bonus).  What do you pick?  Seriously...