https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not Fit for Purpose !!!

Started by MOR :, November 25, 2013, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOR :

Northern Cottager

Dragoman

There's a lot of good sense in this article.

WhiteJC

Not fit for purpose

GettyImages
Fulham supporters have had little to sing about of late.

There's no let-up in the misery for Fulham fans after a fifth straight loss in all competitions. Despite whatever slant on the game Martin Jol cares to give the press post-match, this latest defeat was entirely merited, as Swansea for the third season running rolled down the M4 to take all three points.

Michael Laudrup's team stepped it up after half-time as the Swans sensed Fulham were there for the taking, and there is no complaining from this quarter as to the final score. On paper an own goal and wonder strike from distance by late sub Jonjo Shelvey does not tell the full story.

The 67% of possession enjoyed by the away side and their shots ratio of 21 to Fulham's nine emphatically does. Which is why, when boss Jol tells the media Fulham "could have been three up at half-time and that we have again been unlucky," then it is time to call in the men in white coats.

A considerably large number of people who follow this club have had enough of being taken for mugs. If the board cannot see the damage being done to this famous old club's image by continuing to tolerate the policy of failure and non-accountability, relegation may be the very least of our worries.

The knock on effects long-term in goodwill, sponsorship, club marketing and social events, along with erosion of the fan base will exact a heavier toll on those shirking tough decisions now than the mere loss of our Premiership status.

At present those voting with their feet by staying away are barely into the hundreds. But this weekend I see names on the message boards familiar to me. Supporters -- and their families -- who have travelled the road of dreams and dashed hopes, of euphoria and Europe thanks to the al Fayeds.

People who, like me, had black and white in their veins. Fans who would always come back for more down by the river because one day, some day it might be our turn to taste a bit of glory.

Now even those diehards have seen enough. Season ticket holders, having already stumped up with their cash, are finding it just too depressing to watch any more of this awful football and have stopped attending. Make no mistake, people in the ground are not crucifying the team. The board may wish to take us for fools, but none of us can take any more of this wrecking ball Martin Jol and what he has done with this club.

Jol has come out and confirmed, "We went after six transfer targets in the summer and we got them all." There you have it from the architect himself. And his house is falling down around his ears. The Dutchman has assembled a squad over the past 15 months that he somehow on the training ground has a vision of being good enough for the top eight. The sad reality is he's produced a relegation side.

My preview ran with the cautionary note that this Swansea game, despite the Swans own patchy form, may have come too soon for the Rene Meulensteen effect to kick in. So it proved.

Four changes from the last abysmal loss, but another defeat. No wingers deployed, so no width. The Whites persist with a system that does not work, a forward in Bryan Ruiz who is as effective as a ballerina in a bull-ring, and a forward who does not know the meaning of playing for the team.

Can we scrape up some plus points at least to lighten the gloom? The right man now has the captain's arm band. Maarten Stekelenburg continues to perform heroics, Derek Boateng with a run of games should improve the midfield. But where's the creativity, and where in hell are the goals coming from?

Personally, I would stick with Darren Bent, even though he should have hit the mark Saturday. His strike rate is just too impressive. Get someone up closer to support him in a 4-5-1 formation bursting through from midfield -- probably Adel Taarabt or Pajtim Kasami. We need at least one winger on the park. I don't care if it is Mesca, Ashkan Dejagah or Alex Kacaniklic. Plump for one and drill him and his full-back to get on the same wavelength.

We need to get back to basics and start trying to grind out nil nils to start. Let's hope for more solidity once Sascha Riether and Brede Hangeland return.

But going into a critical period of games, here's Meulensteen's biggest challenge for the run up to the year's end. Could he persuade Jol to drop Ruiz? I pray Berbatov is offloaded in January and we then sign at least three new players. Only then can we think about saving our season. The current squad is shot.

Right now we need new full-backs, the long-delayed creative playmaker and surely another forward (unless we are prepared to throw the 17-year-old Moussa Dembele into the fray).

Fulham not that long ago was held up as a model club, being run prudently and punching above their weight. That mantle has now moved on to others. Consider how much is being bled from the coffers in wages for Damien Duff and John-Arne Riise. What madness to still have these two on the roster. No wonder Steve Sidwell is holding out for a two year deal.

Somewhere within the corridors of power at Fulham FC there's a nasty smell. Something alluded to by former employee and Academy Director Alan Smith this weekend...Meanwhile Jol remains in place. Unbelievable.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1559?cc=5739

Burt

"Michael Laudrup's team stepped it up after half-time as the Swans sensed Fulham were there for the taking, and there is no complaining from this quarter as to the final score. On paper an own goal and wonder strike from distance by late sub Jonjo Shelvey does not tell the full story.

The 67% of possession enjoyed by the away side and their shots ratio of 21 to Fulham's nine emphatically does. Which is why, when boss Jol tells the media Fulham "could have been three up at half-time and that we have again been unlucky," then it is time to call in the men in white coats".

That's it, in a nutshell.

Our play for too long now has been characterised by sitting back (or stringing a few passes sideways and backwards), failing to press and push, being slow and predictable moving forwards, and not creating many chances as a result.

sipwell

21 shots for Swansea? Who did the counting? A blind fella?

Bent should have scored. Simple as that. Every manager wants to score first. We had the opportunity. We played for a goal in the first five minutes. Even though I am firmly in the JOL out camp by now, I am also in the BENT bench camp. Still don't get it why he hit the post.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

jmh

Quote from: sipwell on November 25, 2013, 05:56:28 PM
21 shots for Swansea? Who did the counting? A blind fella?

Bent should have scored. Simple as that. Every manager wants to score first. We had the opportunity. We played for a goal in the first five minutes. Even though I am firmly in the JOL out camp by now, I am also in the BENT bench camp. Still don't get it why he hit the post.
Because he isn't as good as he used to be.

grandad

Very readable but to not include our past & present owner, directors & coaching staff only gives part of the truth. It is a culmination of regression since Roy left that has brought on our demise.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Artful Dodger

Spot on but the Board still don't seem to see what the rest of us can and the longer it goes on the more probably relegation is. On the Bent point, I do think that of the forwards we have he is the most likely to get a goal, despite his missed Saturday. Give him a proper run and I hope he will find his confidence and form.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

LBNo11

...Phil get's negative comments at times, but he has always talked sense to me. I think those who slate his views cannot accept that his opinions are popular because he speaks for many of us...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

horse1031

Quote from: LBNo11 on November 25, 2013, 09:39:36 PM
...Phil get's negative comments at times, but he has always talked sense to me. I think those who slate his views cannot accept that his opinions are popular because he speaks for many of us...

He is negative but we all are.  This is Fulham.   049:gif

jarv

Makes for depressing reading, but very accurate, that's why.

Forever Fulham

BestOfBrede

067.gifSupporters -- and their families -- who have travelled the road of dreams and dashed hopes, of euphoria and Europe thanks to the al Fayeds. 067.gif

Lets not forget it was Super Mo that brought M.Jol to the club.

FFC1987

Quote from: LBNo11 on November 25, 2013, 09:39:36 PM

Having being critical of Phil before, this article does hit some key points. I still won't get over him calling Kara a clown but largely I'm finding it harder and harder to disagree with him which is hard, seeing how negative he generally is (which we are all now feeling including myself which is why I find it hard).

However, to simply blame Jol and point at the Swans stats and saying Jol needs a stray jacket for highlighting us (Bent) missing key chances is bit of an oversight. Being a striker myself, if ive missed chances, thats as good as an own goal or a defensive/goalkeeping error in my book and I've really let my team down. So Jol is right in highlighting it but don't get me wrong, we were woeful second half. Jol backed Bent apparently over the likes of Lukaku (dubious speculation perhaps but it could of been true) to fire us into midtable. The guy is swandering key chances for us and offers very little if he doesn't score. I think this decision and Bent's lack of ruthlessness in front of goal will cost him his job (among other things) but chances have gone a begging which is the difference between a narrow win or a hard fought draw.

filham

That article seems to sum up our situation perfectly, but come Christmas when the situation is likely to be even worse some stronger words may have to be added.

RaySmith

Bent was unlucky - at least he go into those goals scoring positions, and has proved he still has his goalscoring ability against Everton and Stoke.

I don't know where the rumours  came from that we could have signed Lukaku - he only went where Chelsea wanted him to go - teams with Chelsea connections - WBA - and a team that could beat Chelsea's title opponents - Everton.

I never read Fulham Phil any more- he just makes me angry with his paranoia and negativity, and statements like 'Kara is a clown'. To me he seems someone who wants to create crisis - and actually seems to like this  type of panicky atmosphere.

I don't wish to be a rosy tinted specs Panglossian, but there's still a lot to be positive about at Fulham  especially in relation to our history, and  sometimes there seems an air of panic and  hysteria around.

If the ship  springs a leak what do you do? - run around in circles screaming , shouting about  the crap ship's  captain who is at fault for everything, and blaming everyone - or  is it better to calmly assess the situation, look at the pros and cons, and what can be done to best rectify things  as a long term solution, rather than the quick fix of sticking superglue  over the hole.

FFC1987

Regarding Lukaku, I read an article that eluded to WBA links broke down with Chelsea over them signing a youth from them for near to nothing and that we had first refusal. It was rumoured at that stage we already signed Bent and couldn't afford both but others speculated that Jol had the choice of Bent/Lukaku and chose Bent. None of us know the truth but if anyone gave me a choice over the two it's an absolute no brainer.

Come the new year and fingers crossed Rene pushes us up the table and we finally see improvements, if Phil's blog shows signs of optimism like the rest of us my opinion will change on him. But I always got the impression the club never did enough or did well enough even when we were midtable. Each to there own though.

LBNo11

...his sentence "a forward in Bryan Ruiz who is as effective as a ballerina in a bull-ring" strikes home too. I agree that he is a good player and as discussed with two respected fans at the weekend I conceded that he is being played out of position, but with all that taken into consideration I don't think he will ever make it in the premier league as he is just too physically lightweight for this robust league.

I hope that he regains the fans adoration as he enjoyed at FC Twente by going back there or a similar team and league as I'm sure he is a nice lad, and will set the world alight at those levels...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Bill2

Quote from: MOR : on November 25, 2013, 03:35:23 PM
Liked this piece by Phil Mison...

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/fulham/id/1559?cc=5739
Absolutely agree, especially about the piece on lack of width, something I posted on another message. I am not sure it is the players that need changing it is the tactics which need to be addressed. Width and pace, every great team in my history of football has had those two elements, currently we have neither.