watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged threads - Alan Curbishley appointed as Technical Director

Started by CravenCottager, December 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrProphet

What on earth is going on this is madness the guy has been out of the game for years. What the bloody hell is a technical director? Does he choose the colour of the bibs?

RaySmith

Very experienced at keeping clubs in the Prem on little funding.

I think  he will undertake all the admin aspects of the managerial role, overseeing things like contracts, transfer budget, etc, while RM gets on with the coaching and team selection,
over which I imagine he -Rene- will have sole control -Curbs being away from hands on experience in the game for so long.

A positive move, hopefully.

RidgeRider

My guess is Rene felt he needed help to fight relegation. I think his staff was a bit light and he may feel more comfortable with a larger staff to help coach the lads, like they had at United. Curbishly hasn't worked in some time, so he was probably desperate to get back to work, even as a coach. Perhaps I am a bit naive but, I think this is really a good move to add depth to our coaching staff.

General

Worked with Parker at charlton, who he did wonders for. Apparently he is a Fulham fan.

Odd structure to the clubs first team staff, something very different but i don't know how fresh and all that curbs is.

twang

As long as the club is crystal clear about how the structure looks in-house, which they obviously aren't with us supporters, then I have no problems with this. I've got great respect for what Curbs did at Charlton, but wouldn't want him in charge of the team. Hopefully this was a request from Rene, so he doesn't feel undermined by the appointment.

RidgeRider

I believe Scott Parker played under Curbs at both Charlton and West Ham. I would be surprised if he had not weighed in on this appointment in some substantial way. While I don't know this, I would bet the players, and likely the coaching staff, respect Parker for his professionalism and leadership.

ScalleysDad

Well the statement on the official pages seems to indicate RM is on board with this and both defer to Macintosh.

fight, fight, fight

OdecaMynoT

What does 'Technical Director' mean anyway?

Is it a case of 'many hands make light work' or 'too many cooks etc' ?

Beats me.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

Fulham1959

Let's not prejudge so hastily.

At least the Club has been making moves to try and remedy the parlous situation we're in : Rene, Dempsey, Curbishley.  Virtually every appointment in the football world is a gamble so who knows how these things will work out ?

Curbishley may have been out of the game for some years ; but how long have all of us been 'out of the game' for  -  and yet we're all experts !

Andy S

It is pretty obvious to me. The days have gone when one man can run a club this size. I'm not sure it was ever possible. Curbishly does the stuff of negotiating contracts, recommending new players, recommending who goes, Even watches the young players and saying who is ready for the step up. Rene is totally team affairs. Like coaching, tactics etc. No problem in my book.

Lighthouse

Rene is the coach and oversees the teams and training. Curbs is the Technical Director who will oversee the overall 1st team coaching direction of the first team. While the present MD is occupied with sustainability which has ruined the club. Makes sense and as long as everybody works within that framework than fine. No not really.

To be honest we will not know until after January if we have a chance anyway of staying up. The club direction has been in a real mess since Al wanted to sell the club and not since Tigana has the club wanted somebody to oversee the club and we all know how well that worked out.

Let's wait and see.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhams_finest

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 25, 2013, 12:16:50 AM
Let's not prejudge so hastily.

At least the Club has been making moves to try and remedy the parlous situation we're in : Rene, Dempsey, Curbishley.  Virtually every appointment in the football world is a gamble so who knows how these things will work out ?

Curbishley may have been out of the game for some years ; but how long have all of us been 'out of the game' for  -  and yet we're all experts !
Appointments don't always make prizes - Dempsey will only play about 4 games, and god knows what effect curbs will have

Aaron

Um...

Well, first thing I'd say..  Considering the teams he has managed, his managerial record is really rather good..

There is no way, no way in hell, he's been brought in to wait in the wings while we see if Rene fails.  We're playing too well right now.  My assumption would be that as Rene has never been heavily involved in the wheeling and dealing of a transfer window and never fought a relegation battle that Curbishley has been brought in to supervise that side of the game plan.  I'd say that could be a wise enough move if that's the case.

I think I'm happy about this.. Let Rene coach and work tactics with the first team and let Alan chase leads in the transfer market.. Sounds good if you say it like that, I think?

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: OdecaMynoT on December 25, 2013, 12:12:19 AM

Beats me.

My question exactly. Football as a whole needs to organise its roles better. Most of these roles sound a lot more confusing than they need to be
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Aaron

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on December 25, 2013, 01:16:47 AM
Quote from: OdecaMynoT on December 25, 2013, 12:12:19 AM

Beats me.

My question exactly. Football as a whole needs to organise its roles better. Most of these roles sound a lot more confusing than they need to be

I'd imagine the intention would be to do whatever Rene was told Jol would be doing after he got hired..

TWFL

Technical Director. That, to me, says he won't be near the transfers and all of that but instead focusing on the training and general direction of the coaching, as someone said. RM will be man management and Ali Mac on transfers. As long as they can work effectively as a team I don't see why not.

Admin

You've got to realise that Mulensteen has 'zero' managerial experience. In our current situation, that's a pretty high risk to take, and although the team have responded well for now, there will be times where we fall flat again. Mulensteen is a great coach granted, but has no experience of buying players, setting up or running a club like Fulham on small budgets, he's been at Manchester United most of his career. With that in mind, step forward Allan Curbishley, which I think is an astute appointment if he keeps away from 1st team affairs. Yes, the guy has been away from football for a long time, but he knows this backyard better than anyone else, and has kicked enough dust in his time to prove he's no mug.

Positive steps..

MikeCdawg

This has totally ruined my Christmas. Shocking news, I can see no sense in making this appointment.

What good can come from this?

Rambler

This appointment really confuses me. What exactly is his role in the club? Who goes to the post match interviews - RM or AC?
More importantly is he now our manager? I know the website doesn't explicitly say but it sounds like he is.
The reason this appointment is confusing is I don't feel it's in the right area- ie why get someone in to work alongside RM and have the risk of this power struggle between the two men when the club should have appointed more coaches to work For RM.
RM was doing a good job at this time, the players are playing for him, and the fans were won back but this feels like it could really upset the balance again with the team being told to play in another way.
I just don't see the positives of bringing AC at this time

alfie

Quote from: mikecdawg-ffc on December 25, 2013, 04:04:41 AM
This has totally ruined my Christmas. Shocking news, I can see no sense in making this appointment.

What good can come from this?

I really don't understand why you should be so shocked, and why on earth has it ruined your Christmas, the fact he has not been in the front line of football for a long while he still remains in the football world, he knows his stuff, if RM is happy with this and to be honest we really don't know what exactly he will be doing then all will be well with the world.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't