more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged threads - Alan Curbishley appointed as Technical Director

Started by CravenCottager, December 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichabod Magoo

Quote from: TWFL on December 25, 2013, 01:34:52 AM
Technical Director. That, to me, says he won't be near the transfers and all of that but instead focusing on the training and general direction of the coaching, as someone said. RM will be man management and Ali Mac on transfers. As long as they can work effectively as a team I don't see why not.

That seems to be the most rational explanation.  RM asked for some assistance which leads me to believe he defined what type of assistance..  MacIntosh didn't have a huge population of potential hires and it would defy logic that RM didn't play a large part in who to bring in.  So a group effort must have come up with Curbishley.  We'll see how the roles become defined and how the relationship works out, but this is something RM mentioned he wanted a couple weeks ago so maybe the name is a surprise, but the fact someone was brought in shouldn't be.
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

BishopsParkFantastic

A totally confusing appointment. It would be useful if clubs were to give full explanation behind their thinking in situations like this - about job  roles and responsibilities; who represents the club in front of the media; who is picking teams and choosing players in the transfer market. Clubs would get more consistent and better support if they gave their fans respect, and took them into their confidence.

With the appointment of Curbishley I can only imagine, summise and hope that it is to bring some experience and knowledge into the situation, to release Rene and his coaching staff to maximise the impact of their training and coaching jobs - perhaps at least, it shows the level of Khan's concern and commitment towards keeping us in the premiership; however, if we do stay up, what then with the jobs in place......?  :023:

Danitar

I think if we do go down I think curbs will take over the management from who wouldn't want to be with a championship team. I don't see how this could work myself but I suppose if you ever need a guy to get you 40 points in a season it's curbs

Holders

I suspect it's to help out in the admin side of team affairs particularly with the window looming. Rene has little or no experience there, his time is best spent on coaching, tactics and team selection and he has openly said himself that he leaves the transfers (paperwork, contracts etc) to AM. I can see Curbishley working alongside both RM and AM - so long as he doesn't interfere in all that's good that RM has achieved so far.

RM said in his last interview that he's spoken to Khan, as recently as last Saturday so I can't see that Khan, astute businessman that he is, would have brought in anyone in such a way as to rock the boat.

I also suspect that the whole set-up (Rene, the coaches and Curbs) are all until the end of the season given the current uncertainties as to our status next year. If we go down, Rene will surely be gone one way or the other and the possibility after that doesn't need me to explain. Could be a good bit of management by Khan/AM so long as Rene is fully on board and the job roles are properly defined.

The West Ham example, given above (constructive, rather than wrongful dismissal, surely?) springs to mind. One would have thought that AM would have designed the parameters of his contract so as to avoid a recurrence.  
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

It seems logical to  make such an appointment, give that RM only has coaching, not managerial, experience, while Curbs has a lot of the latter.

There is a lot more to managing a club than just coaching and picking the team, and if Rene is happy with someone helping in the overall running of things, leaving him and his staff to concentrate on coaching, team selection and tactics, then I don't see any problem with this appointment.

One Martin Thomas

I can only assume that there are duties in a full manager's role that Rene does not want.  However, like Rene, Curbishley deserves a chance.  Not too concerned at this point.

Let's have some turkey, open a few presents and get ready for beating Norwich tomorrow.

:merry christmas:

beijing ben

I think it's a good thing. Rene just wants to concentrate on the team itself. The last thing he needs over the next week heading into the transfer window is to be thinking about transfer deals in any way. Curbishley has a lot of experience so he can act as a go between. Curbishley has never really failed anywhere. Rene can tell Curbs what we need and Curbs talks with AM. Rene can concentrate on the team that way. Fingers crossed it works out..

gezkc

I can see the thinking behind this. It's evident that teams respond to the appointment of a new manager with the club seeing an immediate improvement in form.
So let's appoint a new one every three games between now and the end of the season and remain on one long honeymoon period.
I therefore fully expect to see Joe Kinnear joining us in another three weeks time...

MasterHaynes

Having pulled out all the stops to get Rene onboard and then watched him transform our performances on the pitch  I can;t believe this appointment and the role were not approved by Rene. I does look like we were looking for a technical director hence the rumour around Tigana coming back and interviewing for the role. Looks liky the role was not what Jean wanted which is a shame but lets hope this new dynamic works and Curbs doesn't start playing the same games he did at Charlton to become sole man in charge

Count Flapula

Curbishley has sound experience of successfully dealing with the intense pressure of keeping teams in the prem on a regular basis when in a similar position to us -   Meulensteen does not and judging by what he has said, seems to have recognised this and has asked the board to augment the management team with this knowledge.

In the context that Meulensteen has requested this then I for one welcome this signing as i think it shows the board are willing to back his requests to make this work for him in his way.

The way things have progressed both on and off the pitch recently I am now starting to look at 2014 with optimism.

cmg

Technical Director: Sounds to me like the bloke has been brought in to make sure the floodlights work and the mower doesn't break down.

'Technical' has become a modern synonym for 'Skill'. When present-day pundits speak of 'a good technical player' I still think of some kind of cyborg with wires and bleeping noises, what they really mean is someone who can trap and pass a ball properly.

I fact, I would think One Martin Thomas has got it about right:
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 25, 2013, 09:11:16 AM
I can only assume that there are duties in a full manager's role that Rene does not want.  However, like Rene, Curbishley deserves a chance.  Not too concerned at this point.

Let's have some turkey, open a few presents and get ready for beating Norwich tomorrow.

:merry christmas:

...and I would like to endorse his other comments, too.  xma2

Barrie

I welcome this move as a thought out appointment to fulfil a role Rene thought was required.  I feel that some of the negative reaction to this news seems a little premature and over the top.

hovewhite

Let's just hope this is the right people in the right rols and there all singing from the same carol sheets.I am hoping its a better 2014 than this year.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Barrie on December 25, 2013, 12:19:11 PM
I welcome this move as a thought out appointment to fulfil a role Rene thought was required.  I feel that some of the negative reaction to this news seems a little premature and over the top.

Totally agree !

SouthfieldWhite

THIS IS SHOCKING...... How'd ate the club appoint some help to Rene without asking all the fans first, I mean I take it you are all at least A level coaches and are in football as a career??

Can't believe the negativity on this board, what happened to giving people a chance.
If Rene is happy with it then why can't we.

I remember when Roy was appointed , a lot of people said why him and look what happened.

At the end of the day, Rene is in charge and Curbs will be providing help, what's wrong with that

Do you think Curbishly  has been sitting around playing scrabble in outta Mongolia.

I thought once Jol had gone so would the negativity, but seems some fans are not happy unless they have something to moan about, try getting behind the club

Merry Christmas

filham

Immediate Reactions:-
1. Splitting responsibilities between two people usually means that each one assumes about 10 per cent of the total

2.Technical Director plus Coach equals no Manager

3. Who is in charge of the team, who do the players call"The Gaffer''.

Hope it works but can't recall where we have seen any similar successful arrangement.

MrProphet

I think it's less negativity and more shock and confusion at what on earth a "Technical Director" is.

jarv

Technical director can be whatever you want it to be, same as working for big companies. They all like to make up fancy titles.

I see nothing wrong with his appointment. Right now, any help will do but I would prefer to see 2 much needed centre backs in January. xma2

Fulhampete

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 25, 2013, 12:47:37 PM
Quote from: Barrie on December 25, 2013, 12:19:11 PM

Totally agree !
I agree also. There have been many appointments that make less sense than this and people have been overly optimistic.

filham

I wonder where Curbishly will sit at the next home game ,in the dugout,next to the chairman ,in the Cottage or perhaps running between all three places.