watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Music

Started by K33NY, January 08, 2014, 08:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K33NY

So heres another question from me :P As I like this webpage alot and I use it more and more everyday, and see alot of regular users etc, it would be kinda fun to get to "know" you, (I know I know, it seems weird) but thats how I am ;)

We have an introduction thread here and read alot of them, but I wanted to ask, what kind of music do you like?

For me, I am a extreme Blues and Soul lover, but Rock as well is important to me! I play a little Guitar/Bass myself, as my father was a musician so I kinda grew up with the best music to ever has excisted!

What I listen the most to is

Blues/Soul:
Booker T & MG's
BB King
Eric Clapton
Ray Charles
Jimi Hendrix
Aretha Franklin
Stevie Wonder
James Brown

Rock:
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath/Ozzie Osbourne
Metallica
CCR
Carlos Santana
Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits
Queen
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Iron Maiden

Buffalo76

AC/DC
                    Iron Maiden
                    Kiss
                    Guns N' Roses
                    Pearl Jam
                    Foreigner
                    Black Crowes
                    System Of A Down
                    The Cult
                    Manic Street Preachers
                    Foo Fighters
                    Journey
                    Red Hot Chili Peppers
                    Alice In Chains
                    Shed Seven
                    Lynyrd Skynyrd
                    Screaming Trees
                    Slash
                    Skid Row                
                    Faith No More

nose

I don't really like rock at all
But Blues and soul, well now you are talking.
Your list is good and clearly inerror you didn't put james brown top but some obvious omissions include the following
Soul:
Otis redding
Solomon Burke (as the years have gone by the more i appreciated his true genius)
Sam and dave
Wilson pickett
Al Green
anne peebles (a wonderful underrated singer)
Eddie Flloyd
Marvin gaye
william 'Smoke' robinson
sly stone

and George Clinton/William 'Bootsy' Collins and the whole parliament/Funkadelic thing.

and what about the temptations, the four tops

and more recent R&B groups such as War (now the lowrider band), earth Wind and Fire and Tower of power.

Blues (and a bit of rock and roll)
Where is Howlin Wolf
little walter
muddy waters
chuck berry
little richard
albert king
freddie king
sonny boy williamson
leadbelly
big bill broonzy
robert johnson

and the ones i listed are just the best known there are are hundreds of great lesser know stars.

for me also hendrix is not blues or soul, he is more rock than anything else

Burt

I am regressing to my prog rock days so have been hitting Marillion (pre- and post-Fish), Fish, Camel Genesis and Pallas big time recently.

Other current faves are Elbow, Muse, Floyd, Hard Fi, Art Pepper, Example, Gil Scott-Heron, The Bravery, ACDC, etc so my tastes are a bit all over the place.

rusty shackleford

My favourite band is Alice in Chains followed closely by TV on the Radio and Pearl Jam.

Stuff ive been into forever is grungy/heavy stuff like Nirvana, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Metallica, Soundgarden, NIN, and all that.

Stuff i am currently enjoying that is relatively new is Foals, Friendly Fires, Interpol, Vampire Weekend, Crystal Fighters and so on

I like a bit of everything really!

BestOfBrede

067.gif I know I know, it seems weird) but thats how I am ;)  067.gif

Mine is the 'Stalker' Bothers !
:005:

andreweasby

Everyone swaying towards rock instead of the crap out there today, very pleasing.

I really like folk/prog based rock/metal. Really hard to explain. There's a band that sums it up greatly called Ayreon that have heavy guitars, synths etc along with flute solos, violin solos, and a new one for me - uilleann pipes.

It's more of a project with guest musicians and vocalists, bigger names who have provided vocals/solos in Ayreon include Bruce Dickinson, Rick Wakeman, Fish (seen above in this thread), Steve Hackett.

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything Phase III: Entanglement

Would much rather listen to a good cd than any film/tv show.

Forever Fulham

My daughter found my old albums.  Now she's playing David Sylvian's "September" and "Orpheus" tracks over and over again.  And Chet Baker's live version of "My Funny Valentine" (sublime). And Joni Mitchell's "Amelia".  She has a fine eclectic taste that my 'only rap' son is lacking.  I'll never get my Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Weather Report, Miles Davis, Teddy Pendergass, and Marvin Gaye albums back.  

BestOfBrede

K33NY- I was joking by the way.

Really: I love the blues (almost anyone) and then many many more types - it's very difficult to pick. I think the question would be answered differently each day depending on mood swings!

All I can say is Cream, Gary Moore, Pink Floyd, Camel, Greenslade, BB King, Rolling Stones, Snap, Mozart, Pet Shop Boys, Communards, Led Zeppelin.......
I could go on for a month!

It's easier to say that all music has it's good and it's bad!

By the way when I say Pet sHop boys and Communards  I am only liking 1 or 2 releases rather than whole albums!
:021:

MOR :

I like a wide variety of music & bands...

Brighouse and Rastrick Band
St. Winnifreds School Choir
Joe Dolce Music Theatre
Goombay Dance Band
Windsor Davies and Don Estelle
The Archies
Althia & Donna
Floaters
Simon Park Orchestra
Typically Tropical
Norman Greenbaum
Renée and Renato
Toni Basil

I practically listen to everything...isn't music wonderful. I'd prefer listening to my music than watching the TV.
Music is music...Yes some music doesn't appeal to certain eardrums but that doesn't mean it isn't special in it's own way...

LRCN

i listen to everything, especially hip hop - but its such a diverse genre that doesn't really say anything specific at all. but funk, soul, jazz, indie, metal, electronica, trap... flying lotus & long arm are the two producers getting most play from me right now. i'm also managing editor over at thewordisbond.com, a hip-hop blog.

i bought a sampler, roland sp 404 sx, so im hoping to get in to production now.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: andreweasby on January 08, 2014, 10:04:17 PM
Everyone swaying towards rock instead of the crap out there today, very pleasing.

I really like folk/prog based rock/metal. Really hard to explain. There's a band that sums it up greatly called Ayreon that have heavy guitars, synths etc along with flute solos, violin solos, and a new one for me - uilleann pipes.

It's more of a project with guest musicians and vocalists, bigger names who have provided vocals/solos in Ayreon include Bruce Dickinson, Rick Wakeman, Fish (seen above in this thread), Steve Hackett.

Ayreon - The Theory of Everything Phase III: Entanglement

Would much rather listen to a good cd than any film/tv show.

Ayreon are amazing, The Human Equation is one of my absolute favourite albums ever.  Just ridiculously good.

At the moment, I've been listening to a load of Clutch (having ignored them for way, way too long), the latest Cloudkicker album is fantastic (as is the back catalogue) and entirely free and legit on BandCamp, the last Tesseract album is magnificent ("djent" for anyone who has heard the term...).

Last year was actually pretty amazing for hard rock/metal/alt - Shining, Leprous, Alice in Chains, Dillinger Escape Plan, Soilwork, Enslaved, Cult of Luna all released stupid good albums.

Also listened to a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra over Xmas/New Year, because there ain't nothing like Christmassy prog!

Still believe

The Equalizer

Quote from: MOR : on January 08, 2014, 10:42:38 PM

Joe Dolce Music Theatre
Goombay Dance Band
The Archies
Althia & Donna
Floaters
Simon Park Orchestra
Typically Tropical
Norman Greenbaum
Renée and Renato
Toni Basil

I practically listen to everything...isn't music wonderful. I'd prefer listening to my music than watching the TV.
Music is music...Yes some music doesn't appeal to certain eardrums but that doesn't mean it isn't special in it's own way...

Nothing wrong with Norman Greenbaum! As for the rest...  090.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

K33NY

Quote from: BestOfBrede on January 08, 2014, 10:07:57 PM
K33NY- I was joking by the way.

Really: I love the blues (almost anyone) and then many many more types - it's very difficult to pick. I think the question would be answered differently each day depending on mood swings!

All I can say is Cream, Gary Moore, Pink Floyd, Camel, Greenslade, BB King, Rolling Stones, Snap, Mozart, Pet Shop Boys, Communards, Led Zeppelin.......
I could go on for a month!

It's easier to say that all music has it's good and it's bad!

By the way when I say Pet sHop boys and Communards  I am only liking 1 or 2 releases rather than whole albums!
:021:

I know you where joking ;)

yeah its hard to pick, but for me Blues is something that hits you in the hearth if your sad, happy, annoyed, its an all mooder to listen to for me, I can listen to it any time any day.

Allso Im a bit of a nerd :P so I can easaly listen to film music and game music as well, but not for longer periods :P

Forever Fulham

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 09, 2014, 12:04:29 AM

Joe Dolce Music Theatre
Goombay Dance Band
The Archies
Althia & Donna
Floaters
Simon Park Orchestra
Typically Tropical
Norman Greenbaum
Renée and Renato
Toni Basil

Nothing wrong with Norman Greenbaum! As for the rest...  090.gif
Agree.  Toni Basil and The Archies?  Words fail...

YoungsBitter

My 20 Most Listened To and Loved Albums of 2013
1.   Silence Yourself – The Savages
2.   Trouble Will Find Me – The National
3.   AM – Arctic Monkeys
4.   One Breath – Anna Calvi
5.   Slow Focus – love Buttons
6.   Psychic – Darkside
7.   Machineries of Joy – British Sea Power
8.   Holy Fire – Foals
9.   If You Leave – Daughter
10.    Floating Coffin – Thee Oh Sees
11.    Promises – Boxer Rebellion
12.    Stabat Mater – Madensuyu
13.    Four Tet – Beautiful Rewind
14.    Amygdala – DJ Klose
15.    Shaking the Habitual – The Knife
16.    We The Common – Thao and the Get Down Stay Down
17.    Once I Was An Eagle – Laura Marling
18.    180 – Palma Violets
19.    MKII – Mikal Cronin
20.    Pedestrian Verse – Frightened Rabbit

Savages - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)
Quark, strangeness and charm

Two Ton Ted

Anyone ever heard of the all Fulham supporters band Emergency Bitter? I hear their wannabe manager posts on here sometimes. :022:

Anyway, they sound like this:

http://emergencybitter.bandcamp.com/
Never ever bloody anything ever.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on January 09, 2014, 12:23:41 PM
Anyone ever heard of the all Fulham supporters band Emergency Bitter? I hear their wannabe manager posts on here sometimes. :022:

Anyway, they sound like this:

http://emergencybitter.bandcamp.com/

Never heard of em.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

cmg

The Archies

[/size][/b]
[/size][/b]I practically listen to everything...isn't music wonderful. I'd prefer listening to my music than watching the TV.
[/size]

Far out, man! Got their 'Live' album?