News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What appears to be the final Michael Bradley update...

Started by FPT, January 09, 2014, 02:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwind15

Bradley is arguably the best US player abroad.  He would be of great help with us at Fulham.  Should he go to Toronto I for one will miss watching him play as I cannot bring myself to watch the MLS matches, artificial turf and all!
I played in the first match I ever saw!

fulhamben

Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 05:25:04 PM
Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 04:58:42 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 04:32:50 PM
Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 04:28:54 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 09, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
It seems to indicate that he'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. Perhaps he has confidence issues or wary of his lack of success at Villa. To give Dempsey credit, he left Fulham for a professional reason.
Bradley is a really good player who's had successful stints in the Eredivisie, the Bundesliga and Serie A.  His "lack of success at Villa" isn't at all important in the scheme of things except to provincial observers who think matches played outside England don't count.

That being said, this move makes no sense to me.
I would say his lack of success at villa proves once again that it is a lot easier to look good in other leagues than it is in the prem
Villa was an utter mess during the time Bradley was there.  Plenty of other good players also had no success during those months.  Then McLeish took over, had no use for Bradley, and almost got them relegated for the first time in 25 years.  It proves nothing.
ah yes the old your statement doesn't fit my argument so ill dismiss it tactic. so how can you say looking good in an easier league means he is good but not doing well in a tougher league means nothing. no matter how disjointed and bad a team is doing good players always shine through. take scott parker as an example in our first 19 games.
Good players shine through if they get the opportunity.  As andersons11 noted upthread, Bradley played all of three matches for Villa.  By your logic Danny Murphy couldn't have been any good because he didn't "shine through" for Spurs.
Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 04:58:42 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 04:32:50 PM
Quote from: jmh on January 09, 2014, 04:28:54 PM
Quote from: Holders on January 09, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
It seems to indicate that he'd rather be a big fish in a small pond. Perhaps he has confidence issues or wary of his lack of success at Villa. To give Dempsey credit, he left Fulham for a professional reason.
Bradley is a really good player who's had successful stints in the Eredivisie, the Bundesliga and Serie A.  His "lack of success at Villa" isn't at all important in the scheme of things except to provincial observers who think matches played outside England don't count.

That being said, this move makes no sense to me.
I would say his lack of success at villa proves once again that it is a lot easier to look good in other leagues than it is in the prem
Villa was an utter mess during the time Bradley was there.  Plenty of other good players also had no success during those months.  Then McLeish took over, had no use for Bradley, and almost got them relegated for the first time in 25 years.  It proves nothing.
ah yes the old your statement doesn't fit my argument so ill dismiss it tactic. so how can you say looking good in an easier league means he is good but not doing well in a tougher league means nothing. no matter how disjointed and bad a team is doing good players always shine through. take scott parker as an example in our first 19 games.
Good players shine through if they get the opportunity.  As andersons11 noted upthread, Bradley played all of three matches for Villa.  By your logic Danny Murphy couldn't have been any good because he didn't "shine through" for Spurs.
well he wasn't any good for spurs, that's why they sold him to us
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Big Martin Jol

Unbelievable.

Great news for the North American game - having the likes of Defoe, Dempsey and Bradley shows that the MLS is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Not such good news for us.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

MisfitKid

Looks like a done deal.  He is nuts...  I love his game, but this is a big mistake, I hope I am wrong.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

God The Mechanic

Is Shevchenko a bad player because he "didn't make it" in England, or Kaka because of his time at Real Madrid?  Plenty of players have failed in one league or another, it doesn't make then bad players.  Some players are suited to different styles, some get horrifically misused by managers.  Maradona's time at Barca wasn't an outright success yet he is one of the best players in the history of the game - never played in England though so does that detract from his ability?  Pique was barely used at Man Utd (and Evans was seen as a better prospect), but he has won everything there is to win at Barca and international level.

Conversely, Michu was a relative nobody in Spain yet was phenomenal in his first season in England.  Does he make the Premier League an easier league than La Liga?  Or our own Kasami, from all reports his loan to Lucerne was a disaster yet this year he's been the brightest light in the entire squad, or Riether last year?  Coutinho did nothing at Inter yet has been one of Liverpool's most important players.  Routledge did nothing for us, yet has been pretty influential for Swansea.

YankeeJim

I really don't understand this move at all. He could have moved to several Series A clubs, assuming Roma allowed it. I'm sure the Dutch would have welcomed him back and several squads in this league would have been happy to have him. To move to a bad team that gets overrun every week in a second rate league (sorry, but facts are facts) for not exceptionally good money is just odd.

When you think about it, what mid in MLS could start for either of Germany, Portugal or Ghana? That will be his competition in the run up to the WC. I truly hope this is a whole bunch of nothing. He'd be more ready for the WC simply training with Roma.
090.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

fulhamben

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 09, 2014, 05:49:44 PM

Is Shevchenko a bad player because he "didn't make it" in England, or Kaka because of his time at Real Madrid?  Plenty of players have failed in one league or another, it doesn't make then bad players.  Some players are suited to different styles, some get horrifically misused by managers.  Maradona's time at Barca wasn't an outright success yet he is one of the best players in the history of the game - never played in England though so does that detract from his ability?  Pique was barely used at Man Utd (and Evans was seen as a better prospect), but he has won everything there is to win at Barca and international level.

Conversely, Michu was a relative nobody in Spain yet was phenomenal in his first season in England.  Does he make the Premier League an easier league than La Liga?  Or our own Kasami, from all reports his loan to Lucerne was a disaster yet this year he's been the brightest light in the entire squad, or Riether last year?  Coutinho did nothing at Inter yet has been one of Liverpool's most important players.  Routledge did nothing for us, yet has been pretty influential for Swansea.
is schevenko a bad player. well yes he was for Chelsea. remind me how much he cost and earnt. my point was not whether Bradley could do a job, but its easier to look good in lesser leagues.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 06:03:47 PM
is schevenko a bad player. well yes he was for Chelsea. remind me how much he cost and earnt. my point was not whether Bradley could do a job, but its easier to look good in lesser leagues.

Michu has looked better in the Premier League than he did in La Liga, so have Kasami and Riether compared to their performances in Switzerland and Germany.  Is that an indication of league strength, or is it just that some players are more suited to different leagues or even different managers in the same league?

Football is way more than "he didn't do it the last time he played in league x/y/z, so he won't cut it now", or "player a/b/c looked better in league x/y/z which means that it's a weaker league".

fulhamben

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 09, 2014, 06:14:06 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 06:03:47 PM

Michu has looked better in the Premier League than he did in La Liga, so have Kasami and Riether compared to their performances in Switzerland and Germany.  Is that an indication of league strength, or is it just that some players are more suited to different leagues or even different managers in the same league?

Football is way more than "he didn't do it the last time he played in league x/y/z, so he won't cut it now", or "player a/b/c looked better in league x/y/z which means that it's a weaker league".
fine, if you cant say because he didn't do it last time, then for parity you cant say he will be good because he done well a thousand miles away either. lets put it into the same bracket as every foreign player that comes over. a gamble that might or might not come off

Holders

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 09, 2014, 06:03:00 PM
I really don't understand this move at all. He could have moved to several Series A clubs, assuming Roma allowed it. I'm sure the Dutch would have welcomed him back and several squads in this league would have been happy to have him. To move to a bad team that gets overrun every week in a second rate league (sorry, but facts are facts) for not exceptionally good money is just odd.

When you think about it, what mid in MLS could start for either of Germany, Portugal or Ghana? That will be his competition in the run up to the WC. I truly hope this is a whole bunch of nothing. He'd be more ready for the WC simply training with Roma.
090.gif

Totally agree, YJ. I'm not saying he's a bad player - he's supposed to be good - but this really seems a cop-out from ambition in his profession and not for especially good money as you say. Dempsey moved to Tottenham for the legitimate opportunity it offered, then to the US for a final pay-day and his family. Understandable. This (younger) bloke should be getting ready for the WC by testing himself and gaining experience against the best possible opposition. Unless he's got top totty in Toronto it just doesn't make sense.  
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

God The Mechanic

Quote from: fulhamben on January 09, 2014, 06:16:57 PM
fine, if you cant say because he didn't do it last time, then for parity you cant say he will be good because he done well a thousand miles away either. lets put it into the same bracket as every foreign player that comes over. a gamble that might or might not come off

Indeed you can't - no transfer is going to be a guaranteed success.  It's an investment, and with all investments past performance does not guarantee future results.  You just have to weight up the various risks, and decide what to do.  Personally, I'd have taken the risk.  Not for the £80k a week I've seen being chucked around though.

BarryP

090.gif

Jim where are you getting that he is moving for not exceptionally good money from? ESPN is stating 5-6 years at $6.5  million a year.  Tacking $27 millon onto his Roma salary is pretty good incentive to move in my book.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

mccscratch

Quote from: BarryP on January 09, 2014, 07:00:53 PM

090.gif

Jim where are you getting that he is moving for not exceptionally good money from? ESPN is stating 5-6 years at $6.5  million a year.  Tacking $27 millon onto his Roma salary is pretty good incentive to move in my book.

exactly... I am not thrilled about the move for Michael as a professional but his contract is set to make 6.5 million US per year for a 6 year duration... that is massive money...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

btings

I'm all out of hats, having eaten them all.

Michael Bradley will now be coached by QPR's own Ryan Nelson.

YankeeJim

Quote from: BarryP on January 09, 2014, 07:00:53 PM

090.gif

Truth be told, when I read the article I read it as a $6.5 million deal which since you pointed out my faux pas, it does seem to be good money. My bad. I just didn't want him coming back to MLS because I don't think the man's talent has peaked & despite the fact that I have on several occasions stated that I wanted no more yanks at Fulham, the man would have been just what the black & white need.

I'll go take a remedial reading class.  :dft001:

Mhbruce

Although mls is a weaker league than bpl  I kind of understand his move, he's from America so is closer to home and Toronto look like a decent team now with Defoe and Caldwell there.

YankeeJim

NFR, but its good to see MLS spending some money. The league can use an upgrade. I do question a system that pays Bradley 6.5 mil and yet has players on each team making 100 times less, literally. Wouldn't you have a better team if you spent $650 thousand each, on ten players?

fulhamben

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 09, 2014, 10:15:00 PM
NFR, but its good to see MLS spending some money. The league can use an upgrade. I do question a system that pays Bradley 6.5 mil and yet has players on each team making 100 times less, literally. Wouldn't you have a better team if you spent $650 thousand each, on ten players?
yes but what good players would go there for only that?

Forever Fulham

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 09, 2014, 10:15:00 PM
That's a serious and legitimate issue.  The system is entirely screwed up when you have $30,000/year players suiting up next to a guy making millions a year.   For what Beckham cost the league, was he worth it?  He could still kick a dead ball beautifully.  And make nice passes while sort of running up field.  But, really, now.  They could have brought in five to ten high quality 'names' for what they were paying him.  Or they could have greatly upped some salaries of rostered players and STILL have brought in quality 'names'.  Toronto has passionate soccer fans.  Huge immigrant neighborhoods and populations.  But this is just a big pay day.  He was young enough, had already made a bunch of money, and would likely play another 10 years elsewhere any way (unless he got seriously hurt).  He wasn't nearing the end of his playing career.  I don't see him continuing to develop as a high level player in Toronto.  Your development is going to be somewhat capped by the extent of the talent around you.   He's been privy to training, insights, and experience that those U.S. college players-turned-pro didn't get.  I wonder whether that disparity in quality of play will work to undo some of the benefits of bringing players of his caliber.  10 inferior teammates are more likely to pull down one better player than vice versa.

CanadianCottager

I'm over the moon, finally giving DP money to the kind of player who deserves it, a genuine top-notch player in the prime of his career. I only hope some of the tactically-ignorant sectors of our fan base don't do to Bradley what was done to Julian De Guzman.

As a Fulham fan, I'm sad to see us pass him up, but in fairness, TFC completely priced out the competition (some reports in Toronto say we offered him as much as 6 times the salary he was on in Roma) and the role Bradley would have played in our formation is one that Parker has played excellently this season.