News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We have actually got out of a worse situation than this!

Started by win-dup, February 02, 2014, 05:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Quote from: Chesh on February 02, 2014, 07:08:22 PM
fp.gif
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 02, 2014, 06:55:11 PM
Quote from: Macedo on February 02, 2014, 05:56:07 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on February 02, 2014, 05:21:23 PM
Hardly an optimistic thread.

Why isnt it he maybe believes we can do it again..

Primarily because Fulham finished 20th that season and were relegated. I'm sure they played the last part of the season loose and without worries because they were already relegated and they knew it. That's why.

Having said that, if we could do the same, and still get relegated, we would at least feel good about the turnaround. I suppose that part is positive.
No, the whole point is that we stayed up in 1966!

As he said only 2 got relegated and we finished 20th out of 22..

Purely on goal average as it was in those days

cmg

A little confusion has crept in here. In Feb 1966 Liverpool most certainly did not rest "their entire starting line-up".

The season is covered in some detail in Part 1 of Martin Plumb's excellent 'Tales From The Riverbank'.

There are one or two parallels with our current plight. The most significant factor in the recovery was the appointment of a new coach. The weird and not-so wonderful Vic 'I discovered Johan Cruyff' Buckingham stayed on but Dave Sexton took over the coaching and it was his influence that saved us.
Buckingham got shot of our most skilled (after Haynes) footballer, perceived disruptive influence and previous season's leading scorer Rodney Marsh.
We bought a new striker of whom much was expected - Alan Clarke impressed from the start, but didn't start scoring until the next season.
Dempsey (John) took over from Keetch at centre-half. And after struggling to find a left back we eventually settled on the now largely forgotten Brian Nicholls.
Two youngsters were brought in. Les Barrett (18) was an immediate success. And Steve Earle, having been transfer-listed by Buckingham, was reinstated and his 10 goals in 12 games saved our bacon.

A big difference between then and now was that we then had Cohen at his peak arguably the best right-back around, a ready scorer in the ever reliable Leggat and real creative ability in Robson and Haynes.

Chesh

Quote from: epsomraver on February 02, 2014, 07:52:14 PM
fp.gif

Primarily because Fulham finished 20th that season and were relegated. I'm sure they played the last part of the season loose and without worries because they were already relegated and they knew it. That's why.

Having said that, if we could do the same, and still get relegated, we would at least feel good about the turnaround. I suppose that part is positive.

Purely on goal average as it was in those days

We actually finished 2 points clear of Northampton (who were 21st), with Blackburn miles adrift at the very bottom.

Interestingly, like now it was very tight at the end. Blackpool in 13th were only 2 points ahead of us in 20th.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

jarv

I think that year (66) we had a home game against leeds at easter. Knowing we needed to win every game, I think we lost. As we all left everyone was head bowed and muttering....that's it, we are gone. Didn't we win away the next game and all remaining? I guess that was the first great escape. 092.gif

ron

Fulham Tup North

So all we need now is to play Reading, Birmingham and Portsmouth! (Just like 2008).
That makes me feel better......  086.gif    :drums:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Shredhead

Can I recommend that we all read a book by Oliver Burkeman called The Antidote? 
We need to get things in perspective.
1 stuff we worry about probably won't happen
2 if it does, worse poo COULD have happened, so it's not all that bad
3 we need to embrace or at least accept uncertainty, because it's the natural Fulhamish state.

In other words,  be Stoic.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

RidgeRider

fp.gif

oops, I missed the only 2 got relegated part....nevermind  :022: