Main Menu

NFR Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead

Started by rusty shackleford, February 02, 2014, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty shackleford

Shocking! Only 46. Another great actor gone

rusty shackleford

Pluto

Crikey thought he was older than 46! He looked awful! Very sad especially as he had young children who will now grow up without their father. RIP.

Baszab

The Big Lebowski - greatest black comedy ever made

Patrick

Buffalo76

Very shocked at hearing the news. 46 is no age. Its only this evening i discovered he'd had a long standing drug problem though. Terrible for his partner and 3 children. Another lost talent.

Holders

Sorry, never heard of him - did he play for Luton?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

K33NY

Fantastic actor he was!! So sad to read about him :(

grandad

Sorry , I didn´t see the previous thread.
Where there's a will there's a wife

sipwell

Regardless of the reason of his death, he was a great actor. I cannot say I ever saw a movie in which he was bad. I am pretty sure we would have gotten a lot more quality flicks with him in it.

I think you should make a difference between the two.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

sipwell

So Friends of Fulham is slowly turning into the Daily Mail commentary, then is it?

Should review my priorities in life and wonder whether I should continue contributing...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Twig

Quote from: sipwell on February 03, 2014, 09:40:08 AM
So Friends of Fulham is slowly turning into the Daily Mail commentary, then is it?

Should review my priorities in life and wonder whether I should continue contributing...

I agree.  Some of the opinions do seem a bit to the right of Atila the Hun.  By this token, taken to its extreme; we should charge cigarette smokers for medical care, charge mountain climbers for rescue, refuse NHS hosipial treatment for anyone invoplved in an accident of they have exceeded the legal speed limit etc.  The "self infliction" argument can be superficaiully attractive but I think it is a nbit of a philosophical and intellectual cul-de-sac.

rusty shackleford

Its easy to dismiss a drug addiction as his own fault. He got hooked on heroin as a kid and kicked it for 24 years or so before relapsing. Im pretty sure no one here knows what its like to have a heroin addiction

rusty shackleford

And to call an oscar winning actor a z-lister is laughable no matter the circumstances of his death

General

Quote from: grandad on February 03, 2014, 09:02:21 AM
How can anyone have sympathy for him. In my opinion he got what he deserved. If you use heroin you will die. All this outpouring of tributes make me sick. What a great role model he was.

Have you taken a single moment to read what you have written? Seems extremely crass and narrow minded. Everyone who does Heroin dies? Whether someone is a good role model or not is based solely down to whether they do drugs or not? There is no other depth to his character in your opinion, despite being a father of three and still married at the time of his death. His portrayal simply for the roles he played in films was enough to be a good role model - I remember being influenced by a scene he played in with Robin Williams in Patch Adams, which had a positive impact on my life and how I view others and myself.

You have no idea how he got involved in drugs, and I fully believe that whilst doing them can be a choice, choices are not always things of being desire led. Peer pressure/deep depression brought on by family or other emotional issue or a host of other situations could have lead to him taking it and having a addictive personality to it. Something which is genetic - he clearly had learned to manage it at times well enough otherwise, if it is true that he had it since he was young, few would've chosen to hire him in the industry if he couldn't do the job.

There are similarities between what you are saying and saying to someone else that if you get behind the wheel of a car tired and crash and die, it is your fault and people in these instances 'get what they deserve'... Perhaps you are right, but then again what is the motivation to get back? Stereotypically it would be to get home and sleep, but we all know that isn't the only reason people drive when tired - deadlines by others, self imposed or not are to be taken into account and can amount to a whole host of things.

To suggest you do not care, shows a simple lack of comprehension and empathy or understanding of the concept of death of those who are not in your immediate vicinity. Or to suggest this guy was a plague on the earth. Death is never something to be scorned at/celebrated - especially for something so trivial... only the worst of the worst deserve this treatment. and even then, they will have hopefully received their dues.

rusty shackleford

Im pretty sure its not a cut and dry as choosing to stop. Im sure many of us have seen alcoholics destroy their life because of their "choices"

I know i have. Family men with young kids pissing their pants in public and ended up dying because they chose to. Addiction is a disease

Slaphead in Qatar

Great actor. Capote was a good film. Before the devil knows your dead was an even better film.

westcliff white

he was a very good actor and some people (dont know him myself so cannot say) say a humble person with it. All life is a loss, but when you take drugs there is a risk and a known risk. The end here is one of those, and for that my sympathy is less than it would have been.

As I say a great actor and will be missed, his performance in Capote was exceptional and I also thought was good in the boat that rocked, under played that part very well.

Rest in Peace.
Every day is a Fulham day

rusty shackleford

Logicalman

I have heavily modified this thread. This is not what FoF is all about, slagging off someone recently deceased.

I would ask that, in the traditions of FoF, if you wish to pay your respects then do so, if you don't then please ignore the thread.

We allow a wide range of non Fulham and Football threads on this MB (the rules lists those that are totally off limits), and I understand that some feel we are somewhat liberal in that endeavor, I would just ask that we each respect others views, especially when we do have such a thread.

Thanks,

Logicalman