watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Striker against west brom

Started by somptingffc, February 13, 2014, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somptingffc

With bent having a decent game last night tracking back well, making himself a pain for the Liverpool center backs and starting to show abit of fight for his position would you start him against west brom or would a fit Mitroglou be given his first start?

049:gif

H4usuallysitting

If needed I'd like to see Mitroglu come on for the last 1/2 hour, Bent should be able to do a job against WBA

PokerMatt

Mitroglou from the start please.

Bent did well but I cannot wait to see the Greek and Holtby linking up.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

SKSW6

Got to be Mitroglou imo. He'll give us the hold up play when we smash it out which Bent really doesn't.

Andy S

callumc513

Quote from: Andy S on February 13, 2014, 12:10:43 PM
What's wrong with playing both?

Who would you drop to accommodate them both?

SKSW6

Quote from: Andy S on February 13, 2014, 12:10:43 PM
What's wrong with playing both?

We lose the midfield battle if we go two up front.

PokerMatt

Both is possible against West Brom, as they play 442 under Pepe Mel I believe.

However, I'd rather take control of the midfield with three in there (Kvist holding to support the defence with the extra attacker) than play both Bent and Mitroglou. It has to be the Greek for me as he's a much more all-round forward.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 13, 2014, 11:58:35 AM
If needed I'd like to see Mitroglu come on for the last 1/2 hour, Bent should be able to do a job against WBA

So......last game of the season, Kostas comes on to play his first full game. We win 10-o and get relegated. Why don't we contact Roy and ask him if he's though about recalling John Terry, then how about Bent? There is only one option that will work against WBA: Kasami up front for 30 minutes, then bring on Kostas.  

SimpleTactics

I don't rate Bent purely because he doesn't win a single header as he jumps to early every time. Get Mitroglou on from the start no messing about. We need a win and with his hold up play and aerial threat + strength him and Holtby should be able to create chances. This is a must win game a draw wont be enough so Rene must treat it that way.

Pluto

Got to start Mitroglou if he's fit but Bent to come off the bench in the second half when we're hopefully leading  049:gif

Can't play both as that would leave just Sidwell/Kvist and Holtby in the middle which would leave us too exposed. Holtby simply HAS to play.

Julius Geezer

Mitroglou - even if it's only for 45mins - he could get us a very important goal.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: SKSW6 on February 13, 2014, 12:04:39 PM
Got to be Mitroglou imo. He'll give us the hold up play when we smash it out which Bent really doesn't.

I think the problem is less about Bent's deficiencies as a hold up player and more about the rest of the team's abilities to play balls into his runs. The rest of the team need to figure out that he's not Berba and start maximizing the talents that he has.

It's somewhat like with Dembele the 1st and, more recently, Kieran. Once we begin to stop asking them to be something that they really are not, then there is this "revelation". I don't contend that he's our savior, but he can be far more effective if the rest of the team, and management, play to his strengths.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

nixie-ffc

if we lose the wba game (god forbid) i think we would be 10/1 on to be relegated on betfair (currently 1.40). almost a certainty. there is no coming back from that. so do we just park the triple decker bus and play 6-4-0 like we did against man u or do we just go for 'no risk no reward' and play 2 upfront. bent and the greek and go for 3 pts?

KP_FFC

Julius Geezer

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 13, 2014, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: SKSW6 on February 13, 2014, 12:04:39 PM

I think the problem is less about Bent's deficiencies as a hold up player and more about the rest of the team's abilities to play balls into his runs.

No he really is that bad at holding the ball up.

Rhys Lightning 63

As someone pointed out in another thread, Rene seems to want to use all of his signings straight away (except Cole). So I'd assume that Mitroglu will go from the start, especially as he now seems match fit (add that to the teen days between now and the W.B.A game)
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

ltd-ffc

Quote from: nixie-ffc on February 13, 2014, 02:43:01 PM
if we lose the wba game (god forbid) i think we would be 10/1 on to be relegated on betfair (currently 1.40). almost a certainty. there is no coming back from that. so do we just park the triple decker bus and play 6-4-0 like we did against man u or do we just go for 'no risk no reward' and play 2 upfront. bent and the greek and go for 3 pts?
that does not even make sense why would the odds get bigger when we lose another game it would shorten.

and yes bent has done better these last 2 games but has to be mitroglou for me we dont often spend 12 mill on a players so fingers crossed he is good
"Happy that Middlesbrough didn't go up, just for the main fact that @Patrick_Bamford is a sausage boy" Ryan Tunnicliffe June 2015

PokerMatt

Quote from: ltd-ffc on February 13, 2014, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: nixie-ffc on February 13, 2014, 02:43:01 PM
that does not even make sense why would the odds get bigger when we lose another game it would shorten.

and yes bent has done better these last 2 games but has to be mitroglou for me we dont often spend 12 mill on a players so fingers crossed he is good

He said 10/1 on, which means 1/10. So they would shorten.

cmg

Although he ran about a bit and created a bit of space (which we had nobody to exploit) I was unconvinced by Bent.
With the better stuff now (belatedly) being supplied by Holtby & co. any front man would look better than before. Bent's control is, to my eyes, poor and I would fervently hope that Mitroglou would be a much better bet.