more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged threads: Appointment of Felix Magath

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, February 14, 2014, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfie

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 15, 2014, 06:20:41 PM
...Meulensteen was not afforded the time that his predecessor, who is the cause of all the current ills was given. Had RM been appointed earlier I believe he would have been the long term future of the club, I strongly believe that he will 'do' a Bobby Robson and make his fortunes elsewhere that will benefit another club and we will rue his leaving.

We all seem bemused that Rene started so well and then Curbishley and the crab were appointed and we consequently 'went off the boil', so why were they appointed rather than instead bringing in Magath as manager and RM coaching with the later intention of bringing RM in as manager having learned from Ferguson and Magath and for the long term good of Fulham FC..?

I watched that nice interview with Rene/Wilkins and something on here confuses me, it is quite clear that Rene knew wilkins  likes him and as Rene is reputed to be one of the best coaches around he quite clearly wants wilkins next to him, i am sure that he knows wilkins capability as a coach much more than any of us, all we remember is his time as manager, and that was a long time ago, things change he has had many years to learn his coaching and was very successfull at Chelsea, so really what i am asking is why do so many people dislike him and feel he is responsible for some of the way we play, and yet when Jol was here i was quite plainly put in my place when i was told that Jol was totally responsible for everything, so surely this must also apply to Rene, and for the record Rene great coach but don't feel he was/is strong enough to deal with the ins and outs of management.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Denver Fulham

Fact: Jol and Rene had the exact same record in their 13 Prem matches each.

Fact: We played nice football in Rene's first four matches and got three total points.

Fact: All of us knew we needed at least 7 and more likely 9 points from the matches over New Year's, and we got six, including a 1-4 at home to Sunderland

Fact: Our FA Cup loss was a travesty

Fact: We played our hearts out the last two matches, and got one point.

Fact: Fulham allowed 2 goals a match IN THE SECOND HALF under Rene

We can all think Rene was nice (seems so), promising as a manager (possibly), that Magath won't last more than a calendar year even if he saves us (possible), that Fulham could have handled this better (yes).

That doesn't change ...

Fact: Magath won the Bundesliga three times and has saved multiple clubs from relegation, which is a billion times more than what Rene has done as a manager.

We may end up in a weird spot next season, but this move gives us a better chance to survive, imo. (That's an opinion.)

LillieBoy

Quote from: grandad on February 15, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
Magath has been appointed to cut the wage bill. He will achieve this with his method of fining players for misdemeanors.

And how much do you think it cost to employ him.

YankeeJim

Quote from: ron on February 15, 2014, 01:42:50 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on February 15, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: rusty shackleford on February 14, 2014, 09:26:32 PM
He drinks tea at his pressers. I like it

I hope thats a White Mao Feng or a nice Camomile, Felix

alternatively...

....I didn't think they allowed photography at AA meetings.......

If he can drink beer like that, he's my kind of guy!   :beer:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

rusty shackleford

Quote from: grandad on February 15, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
Magath has been appointed to cut the wage bill. He will achieve this with his method of fining players for misdemeanors.

Senderos left for fear of bankruptcy

twelli

First of all Magath strikes me as very intelligent man, a football expert, a hard worker, a guy who acknowledges the greatness of others (not his own player while they are active...), a manager who is old school when it comes to training methods, but who is very modern in other areas (supports the introduction of goal line technology and is active on Facebook where he shares his thoughts from time to time in German).

His players usually hate him.

Theoretically, fans should like him, because he demands from his players that they are professionally and train hard to be in the best shape they can be and justify being paid so much more than the average people in the stands.

In Wolfsburg, a small-town club with a big budget (sponsored by Volkswagen), it worked well. The players hated him, alright, but, like one player explained in an interview, that collective hate brought the team close together and they did win the championship against all odds.

I think in Germany, his failure at Schalke, where he did a great job in the first year (Raul signed with them because of Magath and didn't regret it) but was on bad terms with the powerful fan organizations there, and the second time at Wolfsburg (where he made people scratch their heads because of excessive player trades), his reputation has somewhat suffered, so going to Fulham gives him a chance to start on a somewhat clean sheet again.

In order to make it work, he needs players who are committed to winning more than anything and who buy into his believes that you can only be successful if you are in good physical shape (which should go without saying, really). The problem is that there will always be disgruntled players, who warm the bench or a seat in the grand stands or, even worse, will have been called lazy by the manager. Those players might start influencing other and with the power players have these days, there is always the possibility that they start playing against the manager, so that he gets sacked.

I think Magath is very intelligent, but maybe he should start opening himself a bit more to his players. In Germany, there is a whole generation of younger coaches who are like big brothers to their players. Players like to play for them and that might work better in the long run than being a "dictator".

MisfitKid

I am gone for 2 days... What the hell just happened...  :58:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

the nutflush

Quote from: MisfitKid on February 16, 2014, 05:26:07 AM
I am gone for 2 days... What the hell just happened...  :58:

Me too.  Just got back from a weekend away.  I feel like Ive been hit over the head.  I should have stayed away.  Wilsons Promontory...Squeaky Beach....paradise.  Then I come back to this cluster fcuk.