News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one happy with this appointment?

Started by Admin, February 14, 2014, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodge

The main problem was hanging on to Jol for so long, a new manager should have been In place at the start of the season aft the shambles at the end of the last campaign. Rene had to work with Jol's players until he could get in some of his own in January and he never even got to play the record signing. Rene gave great interviews but the record of points per games speak for themselves - if only he had been given the summer to sort out the squad and build his own team it could have been the new dawn we were hoping for after the dross served up by his compatriot. In Rene's first game in charge against Spurs we played with fight and spirit but eventually lost, the pattern has continued throughout his reign except that the fight and spirit has sometimes gone AWOL. Ideally he would have been given more time but that is something that is sadly now in very short supply.

We now have a new manager, one with a fearsome reputation for discipline. Now I love the way Fulham are everyone's second club, quaint and family friendly but we have been far too generous to the opposition this season and if allowed to continue this will take us down with no real prospect of an early return - we couldn't even beat Sheffield Utd for God's sake! It's about time we made ourselves difficult to beat rather than difficult to hate, whatever happened to fortress Cottage where the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool, Hamburg and Juventus went home empty-handed?

Get behind the new manager it is all that we can do and hope and pray that Cardiff, West Brom and Norwich end up below us after 38 games have been played.

jarv

Jol is the culprit here. OK, there were probably other contributory factors (lack of investment etc) but from the very beginning he made a mess of things, upsetting players which could have given the club one more season. He came with a history which is not good at his previous 2 clubs. Surely, in any job interview those facts should have been taken into consideration. Yes, Fulham is a laughing stock now but
like everyone, I hope this works out for us. 049:gif

triny

Hopefully we'll be the same as Southampton fan's they went up in arms when they got rid of their old manage now you don't hear any of them at work saying anything what I'm trying to say is the're must be some luck this year for us come on football god
please  092.gif

BishopsParkFantastic

On the same webpage about Magath and his methods:
Magath usually sells 10 players the first 2 weeks he is at a club (those that won't participate in his bullpoo right away), those are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones he puts into some youth team until they're depressed and beg to be sold or kiss his ass (former german national player Patrick Helmes knows how that works). The next 2 weeks he buys about 25 players to get a competitive atmosphere so nobody can have a safe starting position. Everyone is supposed to give his all to be a starter. The next month or so he's building team chemistry, he's doing that by torturing them physically so everybody hates him and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". The team doesn't have time to think about their position, they don't have time for arguments between each other, they just puke blood from his training methods and play like brainless zombies on steroids. It's great to boost team performance instantly, it's effective in the short term and that's what fulham needs right now. in the long run the squad will have about 10 trash players with long contracts and high wages probably all aged 33+. The opponents usually figure out his tactics (which are not that revolutionairy), they still have the stamina advantage from the brutal physical exercise but that only gets you so far.

Doesn't seem very encouraging to me!

gezkc

I'm very surprised at this decision, but most of all I feel sorry for Rene. Ok, the results have been disappointing but we're seeing signs that things are improving and have recruited some good players during the transfer window. If we start doing well now, as recent performances suggest we will do, it will be through the work Rene has put in.

I hope he stays with the club, but from his comments following the club statement, seriously doubt he will. He has been treated very badly by Fulham. His efforts in improving the team should at least have been acknowledged.

HatterDon

Well, it's going to be tough for him to buy or sell anyone until the season ends and the World Cup is over. By then, we'll be in the Championship, and he'll be back in Germany.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nose

Quote from: Julius Geezer on February 15, 2014, 12:09:43 PM
Don't jump the gun on how happy you are by this appointment.

It could be one of the worst decisions in this club's history.

The proof is in the pudding - we'll dig this thread up at the end of the season.

i think you will find this becomes one of the worst two or three decisions the club have ever made. if we go down anyway then it would have been better to stick with rene.... i do not like what i have read abnout magath but will give him a fair chance.... but he has to hit the ground running and i just can't see that happening.

the real crime was keeping jol, and how long had i been saying that, the bloke was useless from day one and it was obvious!

RidgeRider

We only need him to help us over the next 12 games, after that, who cares. We can to a CNTL ALT DEL and start again.

PokerMatt

Quote from: RidgeRider on February 15, 2014, 02:41:07 PM
We only need him to help us over the next 12 games, after that, who cares. We can to a CNTL ALT DEL and start again.

Because it might well be a long-term plan for the board?

If he keeps us up there's a much higher chance of him staying than not, no?
Follow me: @mattdjourno

bobby01

He's won the Bundesliga three times ffs give the fella a chance. Yes Rene seemed a nice bloke but his results were crap, and rumour has it he was looking to link up with Solskaer at Cardiff. Wether Felix is the right man or not I for one am willing to give him a chance, as I have all previous managers.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

RidgeRider

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 15, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

For sure, you are right but it gives the board time to see if they want him to stay for the long term....does he have vision for building and sustaining a club. From the outside looking in, it appears they are not above slotting managers in for the short term, if it suits them.

The only thing we won't know is will players come to Fulham, with his reputation for being harsh, in the transfer window or will those running out of contract, stay. We won't know that until the next window.

I'm pretty sure they kept Rene a bit longer because they wanted to get the players 'in' in January and once that was done, making the change had less of an effect.  They hardly gave him time to assimilate the new players, which means they were planning to make the change earlier but wanted to secure the players first.

Lighthouse

Quote from: bobby01 on February 15, 2014, 02:46:31 PM
He's won the Bundesliga three times ffs give the fella a chance. Yes Rene seemed a nice bloke but his results were crap, and rumour has it he was looking to link up with Solskaer at Cardiff. Wether Felix is the right man or not I for one am willing to give him a chance, as I have all previous managers.

Well I think we have no choice but to back our new manager. But the timing is awful and the new signings must wonder what bizzarre club they have come into. To keep Rene as coach would have been ideal but Fulham have messed this whole thing up. A bit cloak and dagger and a little panic and alot of bullying. We will give credit to Rene should we stay up but not sure how much credit our new manager will get but he will be partly blamed if we go down.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

PokerMatt

Quote from: RidgeRider on February 15, 2014, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: PokerMatt on February 15, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

For sure, you are right but it gives the board time to see if they want him to stay for the long term....does he have vision for building and sustaining a club. From the outside looking in, it appears they are not above slotting managers in for the short term, if it suits them.

The only thing we won't know is will players come to Fulham, with his reputation for being harsh, in the transfer window or will those running out of contract, stay. We won't know that until the next window.

I'm pretty sure they kept Rene a bit longer because they wanted to get the players 'in' in January and once that was done, making the change had less of an effect.  They hardly gave him time to assimilate the new players, which means they were planning to make the change earlier but wanted to secure the players first.

When you put it like that about Rene, it seems particularly harsh. And misleading for the players too. They came in wanting to play for him. It smacks of how we missold the club to the likes of Van der Sar after we just came up.

Of course, you're right and we need to give Magath time and backing, but I do hope this is only a desperate short-term thing.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on February 15, 2014, 02:06:05 PM

On the same webpage about Magath and his methods:
Magath usually sells 10 players the first 2 weeks he is at a club (those that won't participate in his bullpoo right away), those are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones he puts into some youth team until they're depressed and beg to be sold or kiss his ass (former german national player Patrick Helmes knows how that works). The next 2 weeks he buys about 25 players to get a competitive atmosphere so nobody can have a safe starting position. Everyone is supposed to give his all to be a starter. The next month or so he's building team chemistry, he's doing that by torturing them physically so everybody hates him and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". The team doesn't have time to think about their position, they don't have time for arguments between each other, they just puke blood from his training methods and play like brainless zombies on steroids. It's great to boost team performance instantly, it's effective in the short term and that's what fulham needs right now. in the long run the squad will have about 10 trash players with long contracts and high wages probably all aged 33+. The opponents usually figure out his tactics (which are not that revolutionairy), they still have the stamina advantage from the brutal physical exercise but that only gets you so far.

Doesn't seem very encouraging to me!

Quick question: if he always follows the same MO in putting his squad together and the other teams eventually figure out his tactics ( bolded b/c it's the important bit) then how did he win three titles in the same league?

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Whitesideup

Quote from: tonymacedo on February 15, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
I have supported this Club, My Club for over 50 years and I have never been so upset and disappointed with what has happened here tonight. We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene has just come off the back of two matches against two of the best teams in the Premiership with a team which was at last starting to show energy and purpose. He should have been given time to build on this and I feel we would have had a 75% chance of survival. With yet another new Manager coming in, how are the players going to react? The new guys from Man United came after Rene worked hard behind the scenes to secure their services. How must they be feeling?

It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.

I am speechless and disolutioned and not sure I want to continue my long association with our fine Club.

Unfortunately I share all of this sentiment at the moment. A win at West Brom and the landscape would have (and hopefully still will) change. I hope I will become more positive but Magath's press is pretty appalling.

Even if relegated I would have been happy to follow Rene's efforts to rebuild in the Championship with a lot of promising youth players available. I would have renewed season ticket without a thought. Not now.

cmcgrady

Rene was left with Jols team, as he said he was playin with a deck off cards that were not his, he had his new team a week and hes got the sack? And why only the 18month contract? If we get relegated Magath will leave, then a new manager yet again.

itombomb

The interesting thing on that Reddit is all the Germans saying that, even if they despise him, they think it means we'll stay up.

I very much doubt anyone expects this to be a long term job. He's basically getting a load of money to keep us up, and if not, potentially look to form a promotion team out of the kids (apparently a strength of his is getting young players disciplined and cohesive).

It isn't long term thinking, but I don't think we're in a position for that.

Craven Mad

This may seem blindingly obvious, but if Felix can keep us in the prem, it was the right decision - as I don't think Rene would have done.

But, if we get relegated, we are on the road to League 1. And the Chairman needs to realise - using knowledge from Leeds, Wolves, Charlton et al - that team spirit is more valuable than anything for a team in a 'dip'..

The results have not been good, but Rene would have been much better choice for us in the Championship (he is great at coaching the younger players, and they'll be the only ones left after the fire sale) and, by sacking him, we've sent a clear message to other players/managers about 'what sort of club we are'..

LillieBoy

Quote from: Craven Mad on February 15, 2014, 08:04:55 PM
This may seem blindingly obvious, but if Felix can keep us in the prem, it was the right decision - as I don't think Rene would have done.

But, if we get relegated, we are on the road to League 1. And the Chairman needs to realise - using knowledge from Leeds, Wolves, Charlton et al - that team spirit is more valuable than anything for a team in a 'dip'..

The results have not been good, but Rene would have been much better choice for us in the Championship (he is great at coaching the younger players, and they'll be the only ones left after the fire sale) and, by sacking him, we've sent a clear message to other players/managers about 'what sort of club we are'..

If Khan is in for the long term we will be the wealthiest team outside the prem [after relegation] just like under MAF.  But MAF miraculously found Tigana and his team.

Will Khan stay or not?  Because if he goes we are royally buggered..

tiax

QuoteThe results have not been good, but Rene would have been much better choice for us in the Championship (he is great at coaching the younger players, and they'll be the only ones left after the fire sale) and, by sacking him, we've sent a clear message to other players/managers about 'what sort of club we are'..

and magath cant improve young players  ?
just a few names of player :  Draxler, lahm, gomez, dzeko