News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one happy with this appointment?

Started by Admin, February 14, 2014, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I'm not in meltdown at all, I'm quite calm (for a change). I liked Rene' I won't lie, he spoke well, got on with the fans, and gave us that lift after Jol completely ruined us. But was he going to keep us up? Was he going to be the guy to get us out of the Championship, Not really. I'm not a psychic reader, but I don't think he was going to drag us over the line, whereas I think this new guy will.

There was a lot of huff and puff under Rene', some new found energy, lots of chopping and changing, but no real improvement, well results wise anyway. 1 point since January isn't good enough, and the results against Southampton and Sheffield United were totally unacceptable.

Any team that goes in half at half time 0-0 to Hull City then comes out to get thrashed 6-0 doesn't add up either. I know it was a rested side, I know there were a lot of changes, but still. That coupled with wanting Wilkins as his No.2, the Hugo affair and just other bits and bobs left me wondering.

I know it's bad timing, but I believe this is the best decision possible to keep Fulham in the Premiership. We've added good players, they are starting to gel, we just need someone who can make us a bit more unified, harder to beat, and a lot more tighter across the back.

Welcome Felix Magath

jmh

I'm pretty happy with it too.  Magath has a track record of doing what we need our manager to do, that is, take over a team that's in trouble and lead them to safety.  I don't know whether he'll necessarily be able to repeat that here, but it has to count for something.  Meulensteen had some good stuff going for him but, ultimately, the last two matches were morale-boosters that changed nothing of substance, especially coming on the heels of some embarrassing losses.  He was well-spoken, as Admin points out, and well-thought-of in the football world, but there were certainly questions about his ability to be the main guy running a team.  There are no such questions about Magath.

Berserker

I'm on the same wave length as you Admin. I'd made my mind up not to the cottage until we won again after my experience at  the Southampton and Sheffield games, but I may do now
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

A manager who hasn't worked in the Prem and doesn't know the squad. Madness timing and frankly just as the squad has improved we sack the coach. Two of the signings knew Rene from United. Why now to sod things up again?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

Quote from: Berserker on February 14, 2014, 11:59:30 PM
I'm on the same wave length as you Admin. I'd made my mind up not to the cottage until we won again after my experience at  the Southampton and Sheffield games, but I may do now

Hopefully, he will start by fining Reither for both the last minute stupid tackle against Liverpool, and the parading around of a United shirt at the Cottage.

DUKE

I have some more hope now to be honest. I think this guy is a proper old fashioned manager who knows how to win games the hard way. That what we need right now. I like Rene he seems like e decent bloke but atm I don't care. I just want my Fulham to stay up. Whatever it takes.

tonymacedo

I have supported this Club, My Club for over 50 years and I have never been so upset and disappointed with what has happened here tonight. We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene has just come off the back of two matches against two of the best teams in the Premiership with a team which was at last starting to show energy and purpose. He should have been given time to build on this and I feel we would have had a 75% chance of survival. With yet another new Manager coming in, how are the players going to react? The new guys from Man United came after Rene worked hard behind the scenes to secure their services. How must they be feeling?

It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.

I am speechless and disolutioned and not sure I want to continue my long association with our fine Club.

Blanco

I agree with admin. I liked Rene but I don't think he would have kept us up. I guess we'll never know. I have a feeling this new guy will keep us up. I actually feel more confident that he will keep us up than I did when Rene was in charge. I suppose we'll see next Saturday. We could lose and then everyone will hate the decision and think we're doomed. Or we'll win and suddenly Magath will be the man for the job.

Zu-Meister

he knows Dejagah, riether and hotby. and probably knows a bit about kvist as well too.

jmh

Quote from: tonymacedo on February 15, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.
If you look at it in a little more detail, he has a track record of achieving success right away and then upsetting people in his second or third year.  If he can keep us up, we can deal with the second year when we get there.

andyk

I have supported this Club, My Club for over 50 years and I have never been so upset and disappointed with what has happened here tonight. We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene has just come off the back of two matches against two of the best teams in the Premiership with a team which was at last starting to show energy and purpose. He should have been given time to build on this and I feel we would have had a 75% chance of survival. With yet another new Manager coming in, how are the players going to react? The new guys from Man United came after Rene worked hard behind the scenes to secure their services. How must they be feeling?

I am speechless and disolutioned and not sure I want to continue my long association with our fine Club.

Oh give it a rest will ya, you'll be watching, or desperately listening come next Saturday. You are doomed, there is no escape.

Admin

Tony, he also has a track record of turning clubs around, hes done it 4-5 times now. All managers have a history of something, Roy, Jol, Hughes and even this new guy like you say. I can appreciated you're gutted, I liked Rene' to, but I just don't think he was managerial material and come the end of the season, he wouldn't have got us over the line. Our players are professionals, our youngsters are keen, they know what has to be done, you might be presently surprised.    

RidgeRider

If we assume that the club is not entirely incompetent, then hiring an actual manager makes sense, whether we get relegated or not.

Notice, before today, we hadn't had a man with the title of 'manager' until today, since Jol was sacked. I'm guessing contingency plans had been in place for some time.

Jol was given far too much time and Rene was brought in to help Jol in his weak areas but Jol's team performances didn't get better and Rene became, what was in effect, caretaker manager since he was here already.  We then hired two mercenary coaches to assist him and while performances improved, declines and then started to improve again with the addition of all the new players, I have to believe they were getting signals that Rene was not up for the fight to stay in the league.....the club's number one goal.

Rene unfortunately was a casualty in all this, which hardly seems fair for a guy who was improving our play but not winning us matches.

I hope Rene stays and coaches but I don't think that will happen now. He will likely feel 'used', when its all said and done.

Barrie

I will always wonder what could have been with Rene.  His mistake I think was that he left it too late to shake things and be true to his convictions for the Utd game.  But just as the long awaited green-shoots were starting to appear, we decide to abandon that approach in favour of a complete change.  

The spirit that was starting to appear among the team is threatened by the arrival of a new manager with a fearsome reputation .

But, If we stay up, it'll look like a good decision.  

I would have preferred that Magath only had a contract until the end of the season though. I would be concerned if the owner thinks he can 'do a Pulis' for us and keep the team in the premier league on a tight budget with anti-football.

DUKE

Quote from: Zu-Meister on February 15, 2014, 12:07:53 AM
he knows Dejagah, riether and hotby. and probably knows a bit about kvist as well too.

Also Kostas is a product of German football academies. So Holtby,riether,dejagah,kvist, kostas. Thats half of our first team.

tonymacedo

I sincerely hope you're right. but I'm not convinced and see us slipping back into free fall like the bad old days.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: Admin on February 15, 2014, 12:03:28 AM
Quote from: Berserker on February 14, 2014, 11:59:30 PM

Hopefully, he will start by fining Reither for both the last minute stupid tackle against Liverpool, and the parading around of a United shirt at the Cottage.

I was very hopeful until 6 o'clock tonight. I thought Rene was the right fit  for us.  A manager to be proud of.
We would survive the drop,   Butch and Curbs would sling their hooks in the summer, and we would move on and up.  

The sound of toilet flushing  accompanied  The news that Felix  was appointed
Oh !!! and we find out late Friday night, poor way to conduct business.
Badly done Fulham  

Forever Fulham

Rene was getting results, finally.  Moving the team in the right direction.  They were playing with resolve and determination.  Things were turning around.  There isn't enough time to bring in an all-new management gang and try to impose a THIRD system in just one season.  Someone deserves blame who isn't being blamed.  They missed their window of opportunity (2 months ago at the latest).  Rene was our man.  And now this.  I am shattered.

KP_FFC

although i was unhappy with the sacking i am happy with the appointment

he's just the manager we need. he'll get ever bit of energy out of everyone.

Admin

Quote from: Forever Fulham on February 15, 2014, 12:17:59 AM
Rene was getting results, finally.  Moving the team in the right direction.  They were playing with resolve and determination.  Things were turning around.  There isn't enough time to bring in an all-new management gang and try to impose a THIRD system in just one season.  Someone deserves blame who isn't being blamed.  They missed their window of opportunity (2 months ago at the latest).  Rene was our man.  And now this.  I am shattered.

You fibbed in one part of this by saying he was getting results, he wasn't. Unfortunately this is a results business, and however you look at the situation, we are still rooted to the foot of the Premiership on 20pts and giving up 3 goals a game. West Ham go and grind out 2 wins, 2 draws and now sit pretty in 10th position, they've left us behind, we've failed to capitalize, and that's the simple fact. Things were turning around yes, but for how long, and were the results going to come, I beg to differ.