News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one happy with this appointment?

Started by Admin, February 14, 2014, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

..Kya.ffc..

Madness. I am very sad by this.

Finally seeing something coming together. Letting him buy players with the mentality he needs and the kicking him out. Not a fair chance in my mind.

And if we would have gone down with RM I feel that he would have been the right one to utilize the youth potential and bringing us back up.

I have to see the positives of this before I can even think of any.

A desperate action. Will it pay off - I guess we have to wait and see.
Beers may have been involved in this post.

Nero

I was going to say similar to the above though it looks nicer we are still letting in 2 goals a game and having to.score 3.to.win a game whilst sitting in our own half we need to get a solid defence and grind.out some ugly 1-0s not looking to having to.score.4 cos.we.could let.in 3.

Tooting legend

I think its a great appointment a very experienced manager, even though I liked Rene I am never in favour of a number 2 becoming a manager, for me it never works a lot of number 2's that take up the managers post very rarely do well, I cant think of one anyway. We haven't won a game for so long now yes the Utd and Liverpool games were great but still only 1 point. I think that this is a positive move by the board, he's managed in German with some great clubs and lets be fair the German league isn't that different from the premiership, I have great confidence now that we will stay up. COYW.

Macedo

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Looks like we are about to find out what a cool million a month can do

Arthur

Wasn't Rene's record identical to Jol's this season: both 3 wins and 9 defeats in 13?

Though we had put in battling performances against Utd & L'pool, we managed only one attack in the second-half of each match; yes, we scored both, but that's not going to happen every time. And, as it proved, despite our resolute defending, we can't expect to keep out the opposition if we're camped in our own half for 44 out of the 45 minutes.

Rene may have gone on to be a successful manager for us and it's certainly a shame that he's no longer the coach, but, as yet, he hadn't shown any definite signs that he could get us playing the sort of football that would enable us to win another five-or-six matches this season.

Whether or not Magath can we shall see, but in spite of my sympathy for Rene, I can understand why the Club have decided to roll the dice one last time.

west kowloon white

Gutted but at least Khan is trying everything.

Count Berbatov

I will let you know if happy or not after the next game.
For now, I am puzzled. Magath has a reputation of doing transfers for sports. He'll buy 50 new players. Next window sell 25, 15 of which his own that he signed himself.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Arthur

Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 15, 2014, 01:05:11 AM
For now, I am puzzled. Magath has a reputation of doing transfers for sports. He'll buy 50 new players. Next window sell 25, 15 of which his own that he signed himself.

At this moment in time, who cares? In the short run, all I'm interested in is whether or not he can keep us up.

Lighthouse

The problem is that should we stay up we will claim Rene could have done it. If we go down the new man and the club will be partly to blame.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Snibbo

Quote from: jmh on February 15, 2014, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: tonymacedo on February 15, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.
If you look at it in a little more detail, he has a track record of achieving success right away and then upsetting people in his second or third year.  If he can keep us up, we can deal with the second year when we get there.
My thoughts too. He's only on an 18 month contract. Keep us up. Cement us in the following season, then he can bugger off with huge gratitude from all of us, and we can get Danny Murphy in.

K33NY

I cant say if I am happy or not, he is a good manager, done well in Bundesliga, but, I am not sure if this was the right time....

rockieroad

I see no reason to be happy at his moment. I'll be happy when we stay up (which I still believe is very possible).  If we don't I feel like we'll be the laughing stock of england. So I really hope this all turns out ok

Arthur

Quote from: rockieroad on February 15, 2014, 01:25:06 AM
If we don't I feel like we'll be the laughing stock of england.

I'm not sure that it will make any difference. Pretty much every pundit has already written us off; if we do go down, it would be hypocritical to suggest that Rene's sacking was the reason.

Andy S

I think the optimism is misplaced. We played our last cards in the transfer window and Although I hope the new man can work some magic I fear it is too little too late. It is sad for Rene but coaches cannot always make good managers. I think that is the same here. Rene may have been a success given time but that is not what we have here. Neither has the new guy who will need to hit the ground running. If Rene had got anything less than a win against WBA he would have to have gone anyway

MiltonBurrows

Mixed feelings really. Magath does seem like he has the reputation of getting clubs out of situations we are in from what i've read, but the guy has no experience of the premier league and looks like he has been dumped with a whole lot of pressure. It just seems an odd time to do it, the squads performance seem to be improving, but 10 points in 13 games is relegation form, and i dont think however i much i liked Rene that he would of saved us. The sack was probably coming, and the board probably didnt want to wait as long as they did with Jol. 3 managers in one season is not the stability the club needs. The WBA game has just become even bigger than it originally was now.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Moussa Dembele the 3rd

Magath is hated throughout the bundesliga and has been sacked by 7 clubs in Germany. How is this a good appointment?

MiltonBurrows

Despite the sackings, hes got a good track record in Germany. From what i can see his influence burns out after 2 seasons and that leads to the sack for him. But the priority is this season, and he has saved clubs before from similar situation. Lets get behind him, we really don't need instability from the fans in the shape we are in.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Aaron

I'm not exactly sure how I feel yet..

If we'd appointed him when we binned Jol, I'd have been delighted, but the timing seems strange.

The whole Wilkurbensteen management team worried me to an extent.  I'm not convinced Rene believed enough in himself to think he could handle the managers post.  He's a great coach, no question, but I don't think he was ever the guy the powers that be wanted in charge.

Having really thought about it, I'm not sure how good a job Rene was doing.  Alright so we've had a couple of decent displays against big name opposition in the last few weeks but one of them was a United team falling apart at the seams who have already been beaten a handful of times in the league at home and Liverpool tried almost as hard as Riether did to make sure they lost the game.  Apart from that there was a 6-0 tonking against Hull a 4-1 beating by Sunderland and a game we lost to a team 40 odd league places below us before we'd even kicked a ball.  Maybe we just got carried away because we weren't quite as rubbish as we were under Jol?

Now we've appointed a manager who has had previous experience managing 3 key players in our squad already and is no doubt well aware of the rest who have played in the Bundesliga, that's more than Rene had worked with when he came on board.  This is a manager with a track record of enforcing discipline and getting results from teams in struggles very much like our own..  I think this has to be good news even if the timing is strange?

If you'd been given the choice between Magath and Rene when Jol was sacked, who would you have picked?

RidgeRider

Quote from: Arthur on February 15, 2014, 01:08:32 AM
Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 15, 2014, 01:05:11 AM

At this moment in time, who cares? In the short run, all I'm interested in is whether or not he can keep us up.

True, but if he does keep us in the Prem, at least we know at least one thing to expect moving forward.....a lot of possible player movement. Seems to make sense given he is tough. If this is the case, I would imagine some players can't handle his tough mindedness and don't stick around or melt because he is hard on them.