News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one happy with this appointment?

Started by Admin, February 14, 2014, 11:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucksfulham

Quote from: tonymacedo on February 15, 2014, 12:05:53 AM
I have supported this Club, My Club for over 50 years and I have never been so upset and disappointed with what has happened here tonight. We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene has just come off the back of two matches against two of the best teams in the Premiership with a team which was at last starting to show energy and purpose. He should have been given time to build on this and I feel we would have had a 75% chance of survival. With yet another new Manager coming in, how are the players going to react? The new guys from Man United came after Rene worked hard behind the scenes to secure their services. How must they be feeling?

It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.

I am speechless and disolutioned and not sure I want to continue my long association with our fine Club.
Good post. Agree with all you've said.

epsomraver

Short and sweet, If Felix is such a catch why has he been unemployed since 2012? second, football is an unpredictable sport that is why so few won the pools, we are not bringing in a new MD like Marks & Spencer to improve sales performances, the whole thing stinks, Khan has no more idea than the Vestrys about football.Renee was not given a chance, to judge his two must win games on Manure and L/pool is ridiculous, we would not have been down to win those games under any manager, we got beaten twice in three weeks 3-0 under Roy

alfie

Quote from: bucksfulham on February 15, 2014, 09:53:18 AM
I have supported this Club, My Club for over 50 years and I have never been so upset and disappointed with what has happened here tonight. We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene has just come off the back of two matches against two of the best teams in the Premiership with a team which was at last starting to show energy and purpose. He should have been given time to build on this and I feel we would have had a 75% chance of survival. With yet another new Manager coming in, how are the players going to react? The new guys from Man United came after Rene worked hard behind the scenes to secure their services. How must they be feeling?

It sounds as though Magath has a track record of upsetting people both players and support staff - hardly boding well for the future, and the task of bringing on all our 'star' youngsters.

I am speechless and disolutioned and not sure I want to continue my long association with our fine Club.
Good post. Agree with all you've said.

I think you have probably given the reason yourself why this has happened to quote you We have become a laughing stock - a joke Club, lacking real leadership and direction , and stability. Rene was and is a great coach but to me the tough leadership is not there.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on February 15, 2014, 10:01:27 AM
Short and sweet, If Felix is such a catch why nhas he been unemployed since 2012? second, football is an unpredictable sport that is why so few won the pools, we are not bringing in a new MD like Marks & Spencer to improve sales performances, the whole thing stinks, Khan has no more idea than the Vestrys about football.

:plus one:

I see that Felix (I'm no pussycat) Magath has Khan's "unequivocal support". Is that the same support given to Jol - 'you have my full support but no money to spend, we're aiming to be sustainable'; and Rene - 'OK. maybe we need to spend some money but you only have two games (against ManU and Liverpool) to play the new guys and turn it around'.

A farce.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on February 15, 2014, 07:37:04 AM
Not happy with Khan. If Magath is such a catch why wasn't he appointed in place of Jol? He was available then.

Khan's record to date is worrying:

1) No spending when he took over - he fell for the 'sustainability' con by MAF.
2) Took too long to replace Jol.
3) Rene was a gamble that did not come off.
4) Panic sacking of Rene and appointment of Magath.

Time will tell whether the new guy will save us, but Khan's decision making so far is not encouraging.

Ali Mac is the CEO - he will have been given responsibility for the day to day management of the club. He will be reacting to the concerns of Khan. The way that the club have behaved in response to our  situation has infuriated fans - but communication, appointments etc are down to Ali Mac. Perhaps if we get relegated Ali Mac and all his appointments will go....

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on February 15, 2014, 10:08:49 AM
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on February 15, 2014, 07:37:04 AM
Not happy with Khan. If Magath is such a catch why wasn't he appointed in place of Jol? He was available then.

Khan's record to date is worrying:

1) No spending when he took over - he fell for the 'sustainability' con by MAF.
2) Took too long to replace Jol.
3) Rene was a gamble that did not come off.
4) Panic sacking of Rene and appointment of Magath.

Time will tell whether the new guy will save us, but Khan's decision making so far is not encouraging.

Ali Mac is the CEO - he will have been given responsibility for the day to day management of the club. He will be reacting to the concerns of Khan. The way that the club have behaved in response to our  situation has infuriated fans - but communication, appointments etc are down to Ali Mac. Perhaps if we get relegated Ali Mac and all his appointments will go....

I disagree. Khan controls the purse strings and day to day management by Ali Mac with no money to invest in the team will result in a slide to relegation. When Khan released money in January Ali Mac bought well.

IMO Jol was much abused on here because he failed to run the team on a shoestring. Remember the team Jol had with Dembele in CM and Dempsey scoring foir fun. Dembele and Dempsey were sold and Murphy left, and Jol was only allowed to replace them with buys from a pound shop/dime store. Impossible to do and the slide began. Jol's fault? Or MAF for not spending as he wished to sell, and Khan didn't spend because we were aiming for sustainability (I suspect MAF convinced Khan that no money was needed as the youngsters would maintain our status).

It's all down to money and Khan controls that.

bigalffc

Well it certainly was a surprise. I too liked Rene and would have wished him to stay on as coach but the new man will no doubt want his own team. Lets hope they ditch Wilkins and Curbs while there at it. Someone already said on here this is the last throw of the dice! Please let it work and keep us up.
I wish they had got rid of Jol last season and we wouldn't be in this mess. COYW pride and passion don't care if the football isn't pretty just keep us out of the championship and let us rebuild with our great youngsters coming through. 049:gif
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

ffc73

Having slept on this...  I am with Admin on this.

Rene did not lose his job after the last 2-games.  He lost it against Hull, Sunderland, Swansea, Southampton and Sheffield Utd (twice).  The home defeat in the FA Cup was one of the worst displays I have seen us put in.  I have seen a fair few over the past 40 years.  I would not have been surprised if Rene had been sacked that night.  

Rene also took over around the time that Poyet and Pulis did.  Both Sunderland and Palace have got results and points from the core of the players the new managers inherited.  Sunderland even have a Cup Final to look forward to.  

I employ people.  Sometimes when someone leaves their immediate replacement seems to be the best person for the job and you are convinced that they will deliver.  When they do not, no matter how nice or eloquent they are, I have learnt that you sack them and get someone who you think will be better.  Giving them more time rarely improves their performance.  Let's hope Khan has called this one right.

JHaynes Paperboy

There is still no guarantee that the Kraut will keep us up. :046:

Too little too late!

BestOfBrede

Well said - this is how I am feeling at this time!
Now that it is done I hope Rene stays as I feel he is good for us, although it would not blame him for leaving.
We have now have no option but to get behind the new manager to see us hopefully through this awful period in our history, or we don't.
I currently don't know which way I will swing.

RaySmith

I don't know if this is the worst thing to happen at Fulham, at least Khan and AM want to keep the club in business. Remember Ernie Clay, and asset stripping? Eric Miller? Fulham Park Rangers?

Now is the time for fans to get behind the team and the players.

Admin

Quote from: JHaynes Paperboy on February 15, 2014, 10:50:10 AM
There is still no guarantee that the Kraut will keep us up. :046:

Too little too late!

There were no guarantees that Rene' was going to keep us up either, and based on recent results, I'm pretty sure he wasn't. We've rolled the dice, we've got nothing to lose and if the German keeps us up, fantastic.

sumofallparts

I know it's ALL business now, Premier League football, but i can't be excited about any of this.
An authoritarian German usurping Rene, who, on a personal level, just seemed a really decent man.
Yes Rene inherited a poisoned chalice to a degree and it took him a while to find his feet, but he was making progress. He should have had chance to finish the season.
Part of me wants the German to fail, so he doesn't hang around and also to ram the point home to Khan/Mac that  they rolled the dice the wrong way.

Am i alone is feeling very depressed about all of this?

Barrie

I don't see how Rene could stay realistically, I think his presence in the camp might give the players an ally in discontent that the new manager really does not need, nor would he likely permit.

epsomraver

Quote from: sumofallparts on February 15, 2014, 11:49:49 AM
I know it's ALL business now, Premier League football, but i can't be excited about any of this.
An authoritarian German usurping Rene, who, on a personal level, just seemed a really decent man.
Yes Rene inherited a poisoned chalice to a degree and it took him a while to find his feet, but he was making progress. He should have had chance to finish the season.
Part of me wants the German to fail, so he doesn't hang around and also to ram the point home to Khan/Mac that  they rolled the dice the wrong way.

Am i alone is feeling very depressed about all of this?

Alone you could fill the riverside with people who feel the same!

Matt Inglis

There's only one Emma's burger stand.

sumofallparts

The days of MAF, Roy and happy days, with added Euro competition seem a very, very long time ago.
WTF has happened to our club?
Fritz (Felix) at this stage of the season, I wager, is not the ans-herr.
He is new to the PL, probably won't have the support of sections of the players and a lot of the fan's won't approve either.
If we stay in the PL, it will be Magath that "saved us", when the reality is the work Rene did and the transfers in January probably were more decisive.

Matt Inglis

Quote from: sumofallparts on February 15, 2014, 11:59:08 AM
The days of MAF, Roy and happy days, with added Euro competition seem a very, very long time ago.
WTF has happened to our club?
Fritz (Felix) at this stage of the season, I wager, is not the ans-herr.
He is new to the PL, probably won't have the support of sections of the players and a lot of the fan's won't approve either.
If we stay in the PL, it will be Magath that "saved us", when the reality is the work Rene did and the transfers in January probably were more decisive.

Well football is fickle, but I personally have no doubts that our defensive problems with Rene would have doomed us.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

Julius Geezer

Don't jump the gun on how happy you are by this appointment.

It could be one of the worst decisions in this club's history.

The proof is in the pudding - we'll dig this thread up at the end of the season.

PokerMatt

I've made my feelings known about the replacement of Rene, so I don't want this to be another thread claiming it was wrong or right or whatever. I found a link on Reddit. I can't vouch for who the author is, but it's a lengthy post and personally from reading it I'm a little more encouraged.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1xy3w3/okay_rsoccer_felix_magath_is_not_literally_satan/

Some important points for me:

"His improvements were - I am strictly speaking about short term here - marvelous. None of the clubs he took over got relegated but almost immediately performed way out of their normal form."

Now this is vital. We played out of our skins against United and Liverpool, but we do need an immediate improvement in results.

"Now in 2001 he took over the VFB Stuttgart and forged that team to a unity that was remarkable. He always had a good eye for talent, but what he saw there was incredible. Here are some of the players he found and developed. Andreas Hinkel, Kevin Kurányi, Timo Hildebrand, Aljaksandr Hleb, Phillipp Lahm and last but not least Diego Begnalio/Mario Gomez (allthough they were to young to start, but they got some play time and recognition). In this time he led the team from relegation to be the runner up two seasons later."

Again, encouraging to see that he has a track record with young players. This was my main concern that we'd suddenly stop seeing the young players. This was 2001, yes, but he has this record with young players so there's no reason he won't utilise ours.

"Now before he was at Bayern he was known to foster talent, but at Bayern and especially at Wolfsburg he bought/sold a huge amount of players. This is why you will hear some people say, that half of Fulhams team would be gone, even if they stay in the league."

A bit worrying, this. But, he will have much more limited funds here so will have to play the cards we have (the kids and January signings).

From what I can see people are convinced that he will keep us up, but that if we allow him too much control of the team he will wreck it. My big concern was that this was not a long-term signing and unfortunately I've not seen anything that points to the contrary. I'm hoping he hasn't been promised the time to turn things around, as I don't think he's the man for that.

If he keeps us up, great, but I hope there's a different plan for the long-term beyond this season.
Follow me: @mattdjourno