more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (18/02/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 17, 2014, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Lewis Holtby welcomes Magath arrival

Fulham midfielder Lewis Holtby says he does not fear new manager Felix Magath, despite enduring a frustrating experience playing under him in the past.

Holtby, 23, joined the West London side on loan for the rest of the season from Tottenham in January.

While still at Spurs, though, the Germany international welcomed the potential arrival of Louis van Gaal at White Hart Lane following Andre Villas-Boas' sacking, telling Bild: "I wouldn't have a problem if Van Gaal came in. After all, I've survived Felix Magath too."

Now, however, Holtby will play under Magath for the second time in his career, after the German was appointed as Fulham boss last week.

He also spent time with Magath at Schalke, where he was shipped out for two consecutive loan spells at Bochum and Mainz after only nine games under the former Bayern Munich boss. Holtby did not return before Magath was sacked by the Royal Blues in 2011.

"I don't have any fear," Holtby told Sport Bild. "From my point of view, it's being hyped up right now. I have grown as a player and my time under Magath is already five years away. We are both in Fulham to reach one goal and that is staying up. Everything else is secondary."

Holtby, though, admitted that the Magath appointment had taken him by surprise.

"At the weekend, I was in Denmark visiting my girlfriend's family. I booked a flight for Sunday afternoon, but since the first training session under Felix Magath was scheduled on such short notice for Sunday morning, I had to return a day early," Holtby said. "The news was of course a big surprise."

Meanwhile, Lothar Matthaeus has hit out at former Germany teammate Magath.

Matthaeus said he does not understand how Magath could join Fulham, when as recently as last Thursday he had been flirting with a return to Hamburg.

"He offers himself as a saviour [at Hamburg] and at the same time is negotiating with an English club," Matthaeus told Sky on Saturday. "I believe what Magath has done is a no-go. He has fooled many people."

Former Germany and Hamburg goalkeeper Uli Stein, who won the European Cup in 1983 with Magath, also joined in on the act.

"Felix Magath wanted to reintroduce dictatorship in Hamburg," he told Sky. "He demanded everything because he had Fulham in his back hand."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1718527?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Magath confident of another Houdini act

Felix Magath is confident he can add Fulham to his list of famous "Houdini" acts as he begins to plot his new club's Premier League survival.

As a manager Magath has won three Bundesliga titles, twice with Bayern Munich and once with Wolfsberg, but also carved out a reputation as a firefighter in Germany after several successful survival bids as manager.

Fulham sit four points off of safety and face 17th-placed West Brom on Saturday at the Hawthorns - arguably the biggest remaining match on their calendar behind the trip to Cardiff on March 8.

His most notable feat came with Stuggart - who were 19th when he took over in February 2001 but avoided the drop by three points - and Magath is confident he can emulate that feat again at Craven Cottage.

"I am sure I can [avoid relegation] because I have done it sometimes before in Germany," Magath said.

"I've taken over clubs in a similar situation to Fulham and I am very confident I can do it once more again here in England. We have 12 games. That is enough to keep them in the Premier League.

"My focus is now on preparing the team for our most important game, against West Brom next Saturday. After that I will talk to staff and make the decisions we need to make."

Magath's appointment is his first job outside of his native country, though he links up with former Wolfsberg winger Ashkan Dejagah and German internationals Lewis Holtby and Sascha Riether.

Though he only walked through the door at the weekend Magath admits he has been impressed by the attitude of his players - and has called on the fans to stay positive during the club's survival bid.

"I am surprised by the team - they are very ambitious and keen to show you better results in the next games and I'm sure that we can make it.," he added.

"I know not only the German players, I know the international players very well so I think we have a team that has more potential than they have shown before.

"I'm sure that we will do that in the next games and that we can do it in our biggest games - like next weekend's. There is a good confidence and a winning spirit in the team and we wil start with it against West Brom.

"If I know if the fans support us 100%,and the players give 100% in the next days, I am sure we have the potential to avoid relegation."

Felix Magath - 'The Fireman'
1997-98 Takes over at 1.FC Nurnberg, who have just won promotion to second tier and are favourites for immediate drop. Leads them to third-placed finish, and promotion to Bundesliga.
1998-99 Wins German Cup with Werder Bremen and also navigates them through season-long relegation battle, and they avoid the drop by a single point despite defeat on the final day of the season.
1999-00 Joins troubled Eintracht Frankfurt, who are favourites for relegation in their first season back in the Bundesliga. A late run in the last two months of the season sees them avoid the drop by four points.
2001: Orchestrates his most famous relegation survival at VfB Stuggart, who he steers clear of relegation after taking over in February with the club languishing in 19th. By the 2002-03 season, Stuggart had become title contenders under Magath - finishing second in the league.
2011: Returns to VfL Wolfsburg, who he had led to the title in 2009, in March. The club is two places off safety but under Magath's lead they avoid the relegation play-off by just two points.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/284113.html#kHVda2mkur7JmzYo.99

WhiteJC

West Brom Tickets Limited

Tickets for this weekend's match against West Bromwich Albion are now limited - make sure you buy yours soon to ensure you don't miss out.

Tickets are priced at £25 for Adults, £20 for Over-60s, £15 for Under-21s and Students and £10 for Under-17s.

There are even free tickets available for Junior Season Ticket Holders and Members* and also free travel available for all ticket purchasers.

Buy your tickets online or by calling 0843 208 1234 today and cheer on the boys at The Hawthorns.

*Free Junior tickets must be obtained in conjunction with at least one Adult ticket and can be booked over the phone or in person from our Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/17/west-brom-tickets-limited?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Sascha Riether confident Felix Magath can save Fulham

Felix Magath: Backed by Sascha Riether

Fulham defender Sascha Riether has welcomed the arrival of new manager Felix Magath and is confident he can save the club from relegation.

Magath was appointed on Friday after Rene Meulensteen's brief spell in charge of the Cottagers was cut short and the German has 12 games to steer his rock-bottom side out of the Premier League drop-zone.

Fulham's players have already been put through their paces by Magath, who has a reputation as a tough taskmaster, and Riether is glad to link up again with the man he worked under at Wolfsburg.

When asked about training, he told Sky Sports News: "Very, very tough, yeah. A little bit different, but we know that we have to work hard.

"We are last in the table and I know how Felix Magath works. I had it three years in Germany. We have to work hard, but we will have success.

"He has to get to know all the players and the teams and all that is around the team.

"But in Germany, he never got relegated with all the teams and he knows how to handle difficult situations, so I hope he will handle our situation as well.

"I trained very hard for three years, but we were champions in Germany with Wolfsburg and he had a lot of success with Bayern Munich as well. I hope we will have success with Fulham."

Asked whether Magath can keep Fulham up, he replied: "Of course."

Swedish forward Muamer Tankovic believes Magath has already lifted the mood in Fulham's struggling squad.

"The new manager is here, so we're starting over again and hopefully we'll do something good. We'll stay in the Premier League," he said.

"Training has been very good. Everybody is very happy. He works very hard, he's a very good coach and hopefully we'll have success this season."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9171055/?

WhiteJC

Learn English Or Lose Your Job! Steve McClaren Offers New Fulham Manager Felix Magath Advice

Steve McClaren has advised Felix Magath to learn English as quickly as possible or face trouble at Fulham.

Magath has taken over at Craven Cottage, succeeding Rene Meulensteen and facing a tough task keeping Fulham in the Premier League this season, as the Cottagers currently sit rock bottom.

He arrives with an impressive CV, which has included Bundesliga title wins with Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg.

But McClaren, who himself failed in the Bundesliga with Wolfsburg, has some choice words of advice for Magath.

"The main difference between the Bundesliga and the Premier League for Magath will be the language", McClaren, the current Derby County manager, told Bild.

"When I arrived at Wolfsburg in 2011, I needed to learn the language to be powerful. Once I spoke it after six months, it was too late and I had to leave."

And the former England boss readily admits he is surprised to see Magath at Craven Cottage.

"Magath in the Premier League is a huge surprise for everyone, even for me."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/02/17/learn-english-or-lose-your-job-steve-mcclaren-offers-new-fulham-manager-felix-magath-advice/127868/#4OPwcAGhfxDV776T.99

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham's Lewis Holtby denies fallout with Felix Magath

Lewis Holtby: Was sent out on loan by Felix Magath

Lewis Holtby is not concerned about the appointment of Felix Magath as Fulham manager, despite enduring a frustrating spell under him at Schalke.

The Tottenham midfielder joined Fulham on loan in January while Rene Meulensteen was in charge of the Cottagers, but must now answer to Magath, who took the job on Friday.

Holtby was shipped out on loan twice by Magath at Schalke and appeared to take a swipe at his old boss when Louis van Gaal was linked with the job at Tottenham.

"I wouldn't have a problem if Van Gaal came in. After all, I've survived Felix Magath too," Holtby told Bild at the time.

But the 23-year-old played down suggestions of a rift and has vowed to play his part as Fulham attempt to drag themselves out of the drop-zone.

"I don't have any fear," said Holtby. "From my point of view, it's being hyped up right now.

"I have grown as a player and my time under Magath is already almost five years away.

"We are both in Fulham to reach one goal and that is staying up. Everything else is secondary."

Holtby admits he was left shocked by the sudden arrival of Magath and there is still uncertainty about the future of Meulensteen, with reports suggesting he was not sacked.

"At the weekend, I was in Denmark visiting my girlfriend's family," he said.

"I booked a flight for Sunday afternoon, but since the first training session under Felix Magath was scheduled on such short notice for Sunday morning, I had to return a day early.

"The news was of course a big surprise."

When asked about the confusion surrounding Meulensteen, he said: "I'm a player, that's for the people upstairs, they make the decisions. We as the players, we have to work hard. We do the talking on the pitch."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9171125/lewis-holtby-denies-fallout-with-new-fulham-boss-felix-magath?

WhiteJC

Magath In Profile

On Friday 14th February 2014, the Club announced the arrival of Felix Magath as First Team Manager on an 18-month contract.

A midfielder in his playing days, Magath spent 10 years at Hamburger SV after spells at Viktoria Aschaffenburg and FC Saarbrucken. He enjoyed considerable success during his time at Hamburg, where he played alongside future Fulham Manager Kevin Keegan for several years.

During his time at the club, he won three Bundesliga titles, the European Cup, and the Cup Winners' Cup. Indeed, he scored the only goal of the game as they defeated Juventus in the Final to claim the European Cup title in 1983.

Magath also enjoyed a prosperous spell with the national side, notably when he was a member of the West Germany squad that won the European Championship trophy in 1980. He was also part of the squads that competed at the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, and finished his playing career with more than 40 international caps to his name.

He retired after the World Cup in Mexico and was appointed general manager at Hamburg. He then took similar roles at a number of other clubs before being named Hamburg manager in 1995 having previously worked as assistant to then-boss Benno Mohlmann.

The team secured UEFA Cup qualification under his stewardship, but he departed at the end of the 1996/97 season. He then took over at FC Nurnberg and led the club into the Bundesliga at the first attempt.

Stints at Werder Bremen and Eintracht Frankfurt followed, before he enjoyed a highly prosperous spell at VfB Stuttgart. After leading the club to a mid-table finish in his first season, 2002/03 culminated in them finishing as runners-up in the league to Bayern Munich, and they ended the following campaign in fourth spot.

That feat led to him securing the manager's job at Bayern, where he became the first man to lead his team to a league and cup double, a feat he achieved the following term.

He departed the club in January 2007, taking over at VfL Wolfsburg later in the year. A fifth-place finish in his maiden campaign secured UEFA Cup qualification, although it was the 2008/09 season where his Wolfsburg side really impressed as they secured their first-ever Bundesliga title. Sascha Riether and Ashkan Dejagah were two members of Magath's squad in his time at the club.

That proved to be his final campaign at Wolfsburg, for the time being, as he left to take the reins at Schalke 04. The team finished second in the Bundesliga in his first season in charge, although he left the club in March 2011.

He was back at Wolfsburg soon after and steered the troubled side away from the threat of relegation, before guiding them to an eighth-place finished the following year. He ended up leaving the club in October 2012 before his next football adventure saw him arrive in SW6.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/february/17/magath-in-profile?

WhiteJC

Fulham Now Want Rene Meulensteen To Return To Craven Cottage

Dutchman was seemingly given his marching orders on Friday.

Premier League strugglers Fulham still want first-team coach Rene Meulensteen to return to Craven Cottage until the end of the season, despite the west London club appointing Felix Magath to take over from the Dutchman in the Cottagers hot seat last Friday, according to reports in the Daily Mail.

The former Manchester United assistant manager was surprisingly given his marching orders in the aftermath of Wednesday night's 3-2 loss to high-flying Liverpool in the Premier League at Craven Cottage.

And with the 49-year-old then going on to openly criticise Fulham owner Shahid Khan for his decision to appoint the ex-Bayern Munich boss to replace him, it was generally believed that Meulensteen would not be seen in west London again.

However, in a bizarre twist,  it is now understood that the club want Meulensteen to return to his previous role as first-team coach until the end of the season.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/02/17/fulham-now-want-rene-meulensteen-to-return-to-craven-cottage/?

WhiteJC

Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins leave their roles at Fulham

Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins: Spent brief spells at Fulham

Sky sources understand that Fulham have sacked technical director Alan Curbishley and assistant head coach Ray Wilkins.

Curbishley and Wilkins only joined Rene Meulensteen's backroom staff in December, but their roles appeared to be in peril after his spell as head coach was ended on Friday.

Felix Magath was swiftly installed as Fulham's manager and there is no place for the experienced duo in the German's new regime at Craven Cottage.

Curbishley had been absent from the game since his reign as West Ham manager ended in 2008, while Wilkins left his role as Chelsea's assistant boss in 2010.

Confusion still remains about the future of Meulensteen, with reports suggesting he is yet to learn whether he is surplus to requirements.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan decided to take action after last week's 3-2 defeat by Liverpool kept the club bottom of the Premier League, four points from safety.

Lewis Holtby, signed on loan from Tottenham in January, endured a frustrating spell under Magath during his time at Schalke.

No fear

However, the midfielder insists he has no problem with the appointment and is only focused on working with Magath to help keep Fulham up.

"I don't have any fear," said Holtby. "From my point of view, it's being hyped up right now.

"I have grown as a player and my time under Magath is already almost five years away.

"We are both in Fulham to reach one goal and that is staying up. Everything else is secondary."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9171370?

WhiteJC

Muamer Tankovic: "Training has been very good"

Fulham forward Muamer Tankovic has revealed that "training has been very good" under new boss Felix Magath.

Magath has been criticised in recent years for his 'tough' approach to training, but Tankovic has claimed that "everybody is happy" with the German's methods.

"The new manager is here, so we're starting over again and hopefully we'll do something good. We'll stay in the Premier League," he told Sky Sports News.

"Training has been very good. Everybody is very happy. He works very hard, he's a very good coach and hopefully we'll have success this season."

Fulham currently sit bottom of the Premier League table, four points from safety.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/tankovic-training-has-been-very-good_138940.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 'dismiss Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins' as Felix Magath reign begins

The Cottagers, who appointed the German as new head coach last week, have parted company with the two former managers

Exit door: Curbishley and Wilkins
Fulham have reportedly dismissed both Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins with immediate effect as Felix Magath's reign at Craven Cottage begins.

Curbishley, who had been working as technical director, had been tipped by many to succeed Rene Meulensteen in the hot seat, but was overlooked in favour of former Schalke boss Magath.

He has now been cut loose by the west London club, as has assistant head coach Ray Wilkins, according to Sky Sports.

It is still unclear whether Meulensteen will be kept on in any capacity, with Magath admitting he is in the dark over the situation.

More to follow.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-dismiss-alan-curbishley-ray-3156078#ixzz2tblPalZy
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

What the numbers say – Fulham haven't played the Magath card too late
Revealed: the stats that prove that Premier League managers hired after the January transfer window can thrive.

Relegation odds of 4/11 reflect the view that Fulham have waited too long to hire three-time Bundesliga-winning coach Felix Magath, depriving him of a transfer window with which to remould his squad.

The fact that the Cottagers did good business in January anyway, own three players that Magath has worked with before and have hit form recently hint all is not lost though, as does bwinbetting.com's research into post-January appointments.

Fulham are 39/20 to claw their way to safety and, with new bwin.com customers able to claim a £20 free bet when opening an account, there is potential to kick off the experience with a £39 success.

Analysing the last ten Premier League bosses hired between February and May – excluding Swansea newcomer Garry Monk and anyone introduced with one or two fixtures to go – only four led their sides down the table, and three of those by just one place.

In each instance, there was a logical explanation: Fulham hired a top-tier rookie in Lawrie Sanchez, Sunderland and Wolves ditched veterans for unproven pair Paolo Di Canio and Terry Connor, and Roberto Di Matteo prioritised cup glory at Chelsea.

Similarly, the only two of the sample ten to drag their team's point-per-game average down by more than 0.3 a match were shot-in-the-dark selections: Connor at Wolves and Alan Shearer at Newcastle.

Overall, the point-per-game differential of the late-season dugout-renovators was a 0.01 point improvement per encounter.
The reason for the perception that these late alterations usually backfire is that often clubs are gambling on an untested or under-qualified candidate in a desperation move.

Fulham haven't opted for a nobody; they have recruited someone who has spent over a decade coaching in the Bundesliga, one of Europe's undisputed top leagues, and has trophies to show for it.

Just two of the ten managers in the sample were as well qualified – Guus Hiddink at Chelsea and Roy Hodgson at West Brom – and they inspired monster 0.66 and 0.63 point-per-match gains to climb a combined seven places.

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/numbers-fulham-havent-played-magath-card-late,52047.html?#sthash.xJCb0fEC.dpuf

WhiteJC

Gary Neville criticises Fulham

Former England and Manchester United defender Gary Neville has blasted Fulham for reportedly sacking Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley this afternoon.

A report has claimed that the technical director Curbishley and assistant boss Wilkins have followed Rene Meulensteen out the door at Craven Cottage.

Felix Magath was installed as the new boss on Friday, with that decision drawing much criticism. Neville has now announced his displeasure at the events in London, which the Sky Sports pundit has described as a "farce".

"The Farce continues! Sacked the lot!! #fulham," tweeted Neville.

Meulensteen was in charge of the London club for just 75 days.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/neville-criticises-fulham_138946.html

WhiteJC

Curbishley and Wilkins leave Fulham

Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins have left Fulham with immediate effect - but head coach Rene Meulensteen still remains under contract, Press Association Sport understands.

It has been a whirlwind few days at Craven Cottage, with Friday's shock appointment of Felix Magath as first-team manager resulting in Meulensteen's spell at the helm ending after just 75 days.

The deposed head coach claimed on radio that chief executive Alistair Mackintosh had told him that he had been "released", although Press Association Sport understands he has not left the west Londoners.

However, the same cannot be said for first-team technical director Curbishley and assistant manager Wilkins, who are understood to have left the club following talks with Magath.

Curbishley, 56, was brought in to work alongside Meulensteen on Christmas Eve, while 57-year-old Wilkins joined the coaching staff on December 30.

While those two are leaving the club, the future of Meulensteen remains uncertain and Magath will no doubt face further questions this week about the Dutchman's role as Fulham prepare for Saturday's trip to fellow strugglers West Brom.

Following the sacking of Martin Jol after a poor run of form, former Manchester United coach Meulensteen - appointed head coach under his compatriot just weeks earlier - took control of first-team duties on December 1.

Speaking to Fulham TV over the weekend in his first interview since taking up the reins, Magath would not be drawn on the future of Meulensteen, preferring instead to focus on his belief that bottom-placed Fulham can beat the drop.

"We signed last Friday night, so the time is too short to make up our mind about this stuff," he said.

"I have only time now to work with the players and prepare the team for the most important game next Saturday. We will talk about the stuff afterwards."

The experienced German expressed his confidence of keeping the club in the top flight despite their precarious position.

"Yeah, I am sure I can [keep Fulham up] because I have done it sometimes before in Germany," Magath said.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/curbishley-and-wilkins-leave-fulham-30017641.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Go To DEFCON 2

THE haste at which Fulham sacked Rene Meulensteen and appointed former Bayern Munich manager Felix Magath surprised many but will it turn out to be a shrewd, or desperate, move?

Meulensteen had only replaced Martin Jol but was shown the door at Craven Cottage after only 74 days at the helm and replaced by Magath who has no prior experience of English football.

However, the Dutchman only won three of his 14 league games in charge and saw his side crash out of the FA Cup at home to League One Sheffield United.

With only 12 league games remaining, the Cottagers are four points from safety with a poor goal difference so need to start picking up some victories, and quickly, if they want to avoid dropping into the Championship.

There seemed to be signs of improvement in the last couple of games, though, as they firstly earned a deserved 2-2 draw at Manchester United before a stoppage-time defeat to Liverpool.

It may be that Fulham have hit the panic button, somewhat, but there can be no doubt that they have an experienced replacement in Felix Magath who has managed sides to the Bundesliga title on three occasions.

Magath won back-to-back titles with Bayern Munich between 2004 and 2006 and added to that with success with Wolfsburg in 2008/09.

He has an extensive 20-year managerial career in Germany but this is his first venture outside of Germany and it will be interesting to see if he can hit the ground running.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Cottagers have also dismissed Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley, both men with vast experience of the Premier League.

Experience is something that Fulham need right now and they will be desperate for their latest move to work out so they don't end up with egg on their face.

http://threeandin.com/archives/35289?

OdecaMynoT

Quote from: WhiteJC on February 17, 2014, 06:54:01 PM

Learn English Or Lose Your Job! Steve McClaren Offers New Fulham Manager Felix Magath Advice

Steve McClaren has advised .

"The main difference between the Bundesliga and the Premier League for Magath will be the language", McClaren, the current Derby County manager, told Bild.

"When I arrived at Wolfsburg in 2011, I needed to learn the language to be powerful. Once I spoke it after six months, it was too late and I had to leave."

I think Steve's version of Dutch was English laced with a Dutch accent. What a joker.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

JBH

Quote from: OdecaMynoT on February 18, 2014, 08:29:02 AM

I think Steve's version of Dutch was English laced with a Dutch accent. What a joker.

And I thought he had to leave because he was rubbish at the job!!

cmg

Quote from: JBH on February 18, 2014, 08:36:01 AM
Quote from: OdecaMynoT on February 18, 2014, 08:29:02 AM

And I thought he had to leave because he was rubbish at the job!!

...and, as it turns out, Magath speaks better English than he does.

WhiteJC

New Fulham manager can't wait to get started

New Fulham manager Felix Magath claims that he cannot wait to get started following his appointment, as reported by Sky Sports.

Third

Magath became Fulham's third different manager of the season when he accepted the offer to take charge of the struggling London club.

The German has signed an 18-month deal with the Cottagers and will be looking to save the club from relegation which at the present time is looking a real possibility.

Former instalment Rene Meulensteen was replaced as manager of the club despite earning a point at Old Trafford against Manchester United and putting in a hugely impressive performance against Liverpool where they came close to obtaining another point in their battle to avoid the drop.

Sky Sports understands that Meulensteen has been informed that the club want him to remain at the club in an assistant manager role, but so far the former United coach has yet to publically declare his desire to remain at the club in that capacity.

Suprised

Many fans have been surprised by the dismissal of the Dutchman, but Supporters' Trust member Dan Crawford believes that the gamble could potentially save Fulham's season, Sky Sports claims.

Crawford said, "We have got a week's break now before a massive game against West Brom so it was the last time we could make a change.

"Magath has never managed outside the Bundesliga so getting him to come in to a team in this position is a bit of a coup and we have a £12million striker (Kostas Mitroglu) who is yet to play.

"You always need something or someone special and, in Magath, it looks as though the club have brought in an experienced fire-fighter."

Bottom

Despite the best efforts of Martin Jol and Meulensteen, Fulham have been in and around the relegation places all season, and they currently sit bottom of the league.

However the amount points separating the teams in the bottom half of the division are very little, from Swansea City in tenth to Fulham there is a gap of only eight points, and the London club themselves are only four points away from climbing out of the drop zone.

Magath is looking forward to the challenge that awaits him, he said, as reported by Sky Sports: "Here we go again, I'm coming back into football.

"It's a fantastic working environment for any coach and footballer.

"This amazing club and its owner Shahid Khan have totally convinced me and given me the managerial responsibility.

"I'm looking forward to the football and, even more so, to the work."

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/new-fulham-manager-cant-wait-get-started/85795/?

WhiteJC

Meet the new boss... Lewis Holtby just can't catch a break with Fulham's hiring of his old coach

The hits just keep coming for Lewis Holtby. Out of favor at Tottenham once Andre Villas-Boas was sacked, his loan to Fulham was supposed to bring a new lease on life for the German midfielder.

But Holtby is again at the center of turmoil just a few matches into his time at Craven Cottage, and there's no question it has little do with anything he's done in as a Cottager.

That's because Fulham has brought in German manager Felix Magath to replace Rene Meulensteen as manager, and Holtby has a history of frustration playing under Magath when the two were together at Schalke.

Surely the player didn't foresee the strict Magath becoming his boss again when he was asked in December about the potential of playing under another tough-minded coach. Here's his response to whether he'd be cool to play under Louis van Gaal if he was hired at Tottenham:

"I wouldn't have a problem if Van Gaal came in. After all, I've survived Felix Magath too," Holtby told Bild at the time.

And it's not as if Magath doesn't know he has a reputation. The German manager once hid his players' water bottles after a long, arduous run through the mountains. He was referred to as "the last dictator in Europe."

In any event, Holtby says it's all about perspective in the face of hype:

"I don't have any fear," said Holtby. "From my point of view, it's being hyped up right now. I have grown as a player and my time under Magath is already almost five years away.

As you can imagine, though, the news caught him off guard.

"At the weekend, I was in Denmark visiting my girlfriend's family," he said. "I booked a flight for Sunday afternoon, but since the first training session under Felix Magath was scheduled on such short notice for Sunday morning, I had to return a day early. The news was of course a big surprise."

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/17/meet-the-new-boss-lewis-holtby-just-cant-catch-a-break-with-fulhams-hiring-of-his-old-coach/?