more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View From South Texas -- WBA v. Fulham FC

Started by HatterDon, February 22, 2014, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Another Saturday, Another Disappointment

Today was Match Day One of the Felix Magath Era at Fulham FC, and it was a mixed introduction for the enigmatic German. Fulham played their traditional game of two halves, dominating a dispirited Albion in the first 45 and falling back into a shell in the second. Ashkan Dejagah had a very good match which was highlighted by a well taken goal. The shame of it was, of course, that it could very well have been our third of the first half, and the second 45 could have been a stroll. Instead, the second half was a slog, and when Matej Vydra's shot slithered under Stekelenberg's body for the equalizer in the 86th, it was completely with the run of play. Neither team had the class to get the deciding goal, so West Brom remain four points and about +30 goal difference above Fulham.

Now that all that is out of the way, let's talk about Magath's Fulham. The first thing I noticed was that our fullbacks – Riether and Amorebieta – are staying at home and defending. The work along the wings under this manager appear to be the job of ... say it quietly ... wingers. Richardson and Dejagah took control of the wide attack and Hugo Rodallega was alone up front. With the back four ACTUALLY a back four, Felix called upon Fulham's English central mid pair with Holtby filling the 5th midfield slot. Heitinga partnered the recalled Hangeland and Fulham looked solid in defense for the whole 90 minutes. Back from his literal black eye against Liverpool, Stekelenberg was solid in the goal and delivered a few top quality saves. He came off his line on two occasions to relieve the pressure on our defense. The equalizer aside, this might have been his best performance in a Fulham shirt, and for 85 minutes, he was my man of the match. JA Riise, who came on early in the second for Amorebieta upgraded the defense.

Fulham's midfield linked well, and Holtby, Richardson, and Dejagah spread out the Albion defense and opened several holes. Heitinga could have opened the scoring with a header over the bar from a corner, and Sidwell missed the sort of chance he's been putting away all season. When the goal came, it arose from a good surge up the left wing by Richardson. His cross was comically whiffed by both Hugo and an already-fading Holtby. Luckily it rolled to Dejagah who put it away calmly.

When Fulham forced a corner in the first 30 seconds of the second half, it looked like the Whites might get the early goal that could bury the Baggies. It was not to be. Despite incoherent attacks by Albion that were easily rebuffed, Fulham didn't seem to be able to keep the ball on the deck and work it to Rodallega, Richardson, or Dejagah. When the expected substitution of Mitroglou for Rodallega occurred – more on the debut Greek later – some of the sting went out of Fulham's counter attacking threat. The NEXT Fulham substitution was a puzzler.

While most in the FulhamUSA.com chatroom were expecting Burn to come on for Hangeland – who was having a very good game – instead he came on for Richardson. For my money, that one substitution took Fulham out of contention for scoring again. Riether was moved to central midfield. Now, if Magath wasn't going to take off Hangeland, the obvious choice was to move Heitinga to midfield. The Dutchman has played that position as much as he has center back, but that option wasn't available since Heitinga had his hands full with Victor Anichebe, and was containing him very well. So, with one subsitution, Fulham weakened its attack, midfield and defense. It was a complete headscratcher.With Holtby a shadow of what we've seen earlier, it was just a question of hold on and hope for a clean sheet. Unfortunately, Fulham were unable to keep possesion and an equalizer was inevitable.

If Albion weren't such an abysmally poor side, they'd have handled us easily. Still we looked organized in defense and played well overall. I do believe that Felix will get the best out of the squad, but I think he's here much too late to keep us up. The fact that I'm so wrong about so many thing so much of the time does give me a little hope.

And now about our record signing. Setting aside the question of why we spent so much money on a guy who not only was not match fit but was carrying an injury in the first place, let's talk about what we saw out there today. Yes, I know it was his first match, but Kostas Mitroglou:
can't run
can't jump
can't hold and distribute
can't keep possession
looks petulant
looks lost, BUT
has a devilish beard
The man is NOT an upgrade on Bent. Now he will get more fit and he will look more at home, but he gave no evidence of moving or thinking quickly enough to make a difference for us.

Given Stek's fumble dropping us two points, I can't give him the virtual bottle of Dos Equiis his earlier play so richly deserved. Instead, HatterDon's Man of the Match is Johnny Heitinga, who played brilliantly today. His blanketing of Anichebe was good to watch. I think he has earned the "CB partner" position.

Next up? Our neighbors. Oh joy! If Holtby shakes off his logy, and Dejagah, Richardson, and Heitinga maintain their form, nice things could happen, but I don't see The Undead's back four and GK being the slightest bit concerned by Rodallega, Bent, or Mitroglou. Perhaps it's time for the resurrection of Kasami? Stay tuned.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LillieBoy

Superb stuff Hatter!   :HD:

Do I detect a whiff of the genuine jounalist in a previous life? 

Bit hard on Mitro though.  Even so I agree with you.   :54:

jarv

Good report. I agree entirely with the comment...too late to keep us up. Witnessed a lot of huff and puff but a team which is clearly not good enough for this diivision. At times in the 2nd half, I thought Albion were very selfish. Fulham couldn't get a touch of the ball because they had it. They are a poor team and we made them look like Arsenal at times. Where are these 6 wins coming from?

Also agree with comment about the new greek. Yes it is his first game but think we might have another Ruiz on our hands (without his eye pleasing control). Lets hope he is not another Marlet. Another Saturday ruined. 075.gif

EJL

Mitroglou was completely isolated after Burn came on. The team obviously became more defensive with the extra centre-half, causing Holtby -- Mitroglou's only chance apart from Dejagah of being successful in this team -- to drop deeper.

nevzter

Quote from: HatterDon on February 22, 2014, 05:52:42 PM

And now about our record signing. Setting aside the question of why we spent so much money on a guy who not only was not match fit but was carrying an injury in the first place, let's talk about what we saw out there today. Yes, I know it was his first match, but Kostas Mitroglou:
can't run
can't jump
can't keep possession
looks petulant
looks lost, BUT
has a devilish beard
The man is NOT an upgrade on Bent. Now he will get more fit and he will look more at home, but he gave no evidence of moving or thinking quickly enough to make a difference for us.

Don't forget the pint of pomade that glues his hair to his skull.

Good stuff, but I have to say Fulham ran out of gas at end.  Maybe Felix had them swimming the Thames until midnight the past few nights and they were too tired to run/defend/attack the last 20 minutes?

COYW
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

DUKE

I think the game against Chelsea will give us a better assessment of Mitro. His distribution looked ok a couple of times. He is no Ronaldo but he gives us a better option upfront than the other two strikers.

PokerMatt

Christ. Nothing like giving the new guy a chance, eh?

EDIT: By new guy I mean the Greek.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

nevzter

Quote from: PokerMatt on February 22, 2014, 06:38:16 PM
Christ. Nothing like giving the new guy a chance, eh?

He'll get nothing, and like it.   049:gif
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Wingnut

I thought Kostas held the ball up well and he looks very strong. He was up there on his own and he isn't match fit yet. I'm expecting to see what he has to offer when we play Cardiff in a few weeks. Give the lad time to settle in. Richardson had a very good game today.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

LillieBoy

Quote from: Wingnut on February 22, 2014, 08:43:05 PM
I thought Kostas held the ball up well and he looks very strong. He was up there on his own and he isn't match fit yet. I'm expecting to see what he has to offer when we play Cardiff in a few weeks. Give the lad time to settle in. Richardson had a very good game today.

Trouble is he hasn't GOT time to settle.

So why buy him?

It's all so upsettng.   :012:

Come on you lunatics, let's shake it all up!!!!   049:gif

I think I've lost it... :016:

Berserker

I like this crying  icon best  :026:  it's been my Fulham face for far too long this season
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

A bit rash on Mitroglou methinks. As I said on another thread, 29 minutes with the team bunkering and Richardson off? I think I saw the ball delivered to his feet once. It's just like staying up, I HAVE to believe in the man, we have no choice.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: LillieBoy on February 22, 2014, 08:49:50 PM

So why buy him?

Come on you lunatics, let's shake it all up!!!!   049:gif

It will drive me nuts all summer. Why buy an untested, injured forward on the last day of the window when time was against us and teams like little old Hull resolved their attacking problems weeks before?

Baszab

That's my complaint - why panic buy ? Even prising away a championship team's goalscorer would have been a better gamble - Just hope he will come good - but the reports from the training ground are not very encouraging - how did he pass the medical ?

Berserker

Goodness knows
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Julius Geezer

Mitroglou was brought on in a defensive minded shape with defensive instructions.

He doesn't look fit but hold your horses before you write the guy off.

You say Heitinga blanketed Anichebe - sorry I don't agree.

He was the best man to try and go strength for strength with Anichebe but couldn't contain him when he held the ball up.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: ScalleysDad on February 22, 2014, 10:33:50 PM
Quote from: LillieBoy on February 22, 2014, 08:49:50 PM

So why buy him?

Come on you lunatics, let's shake it all up!!!!   049:gif

It will drive me nuts all summer. Why buy an untested, injured forward on the last day of the window when time was against us and teams like little old Hull resolved their attacking problems weeks before?

.......Because that big lump Bent would not/could not get himself fit and earn his more than lavish crust (He played well v Pool ...that was it)
Costas is a beast and is strong ...give him a chance

I  also thought The Baggies played some nice football today .....  

the nutflush

Although I agree with Hatters match summary I think he has been a bit harsh on Mitro.  You cant judge him by half an hour of us parking the bus.  I think we need to see him play 90 minutes at home.  He has scored some big goals in the Champions League so he cant be a total chump.  Still on the other hand...would 11 million bought someone like Jordan Rhodes?  I still think we should have made a play for Shane Long too. 

Count Berbatov

Too early to judge Mitrouglou.
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on February 22, 2014, 05:52:42 PM

Yes, I know it was his first match, but Kostas Mitroglou:
can't run
can't jump
can't keep possession
looks petulant
looks lost, BUT
has a devilish beard

Hmm. I wonder how he scored all those goals in the Champions League if he is such rubbish? Maybe he needs some support which was non-existent when Kostas was on?