more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could Martin Jol have saved us?

Started by Andy S, February 23, 2014, 10:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloucesterWhite

LOL. Some on here even blamed him for Saturday's loss  064.gif

The team Jol had after he moved Dembele to CM was probably the best I have seen in my 60 + years following Fulham - although the Jimmy Conway, Les Barratt, Stevie Earle team was probably more exciting. After the Ds were sold it went pear shaped. How quickly people forget.

GloucesterWhite

"Khan gave him everything he wanted"!!!

You've got to be joking. Jol was on about the need to reduce the age of the team just about every week and the powers that be gave him old nags and donkeys. Jol never stood a chance.

SadOldGit

No, Non, Nyet, Nej etc, etc, etc. On the contrary, I firmly believe we wouldn't have slid down like we have had he been relieved of duties much earlier.  The only problem being - who else?  Not 'Arry, surely?

RaySmith

Well 'Arry looks to be about to come back on the market..........

sunburywhite

It is Murphys fault for not being able to play until he was 50
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Macedo

If u actually look at the stats, we are worse off since he
Went..lol

Burt

The stats would have been as bad had he stayed.

He should have gone earlier, so we could have at least had time to dig ourselves out of this mess. Or at least had the chance to have another two managers before the end of the season  :dft011:

epsomraver

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on February 24, 2014, 07:44:56 AM

The team Jol had after he moved Dembele to CM was probably the best I have seen in my 60 + years following Fulham - although the Jimmy Conway, Les Barratt, Stevie Earle team was probably more exciting. After the Ds were sold it went pear shaped. How quickly people forget.

Well you must have missed a lot of years then!

TonyGilroy

Interesting point though.

The "best" team has to be top division. The 60s team was enormous fun with absolute top quality players but they were never a consistently good team.

Tigana's team never quite did it in the Premier league. Hodgson's top 7 team was probably the best because it was way better than the sum of its parts but , briefly Jol's Dembele/Dempsey team did impress.

Twig

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: epsomraver on February 24, 2014, 09:22:18 AM
LOL. Some on here even blamed him for Saturday's loss  064.gif

Well you must have missed a lot of years then!

Nope.Name me a better one then.

Tonywa

Tigana was none too astute tactically once we made the top division and wasted many, many millions of pounds in nearly getting us relegated.

Nightwind15

I played in the first match I ever saw!

bill taylors apprentice

NO!

I am prepared to accept that Jol wasn't happy with the conditions he worked in e.g. signings but a manager needs to manage and he clearly did a very poor job.

ToodlesMcToot

The answer to the question is absolutely not. He lost the fans and more importantly the locker room.

The notion that he was fully supported by MAF, Ali Mac, and Khan is ridiculous at best. Any notion that his players played their best for him this season is ridiculous as well.

I understand that people need a singular target for their frustrations and that Jol did a great job making himself that target ( not at all a compliment ), but EVERYONE at Fulham who has been responsible for the onfield PL product should carry a bit of shame for where we find ourselves.

The supporters, especially those who've paid to attend games, have been let down this season.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on February 24, 2014, 01:55:20 PM
The answer to the question is absolutely not. He lost the fans and more importantly the locker room.

The notion that he was fully supported by MAF, Ali Mac, and Khan is ridiculous at best. Any notion that his players played their best for him this season is ridiculous as well.

I understand that people need a singular target for their frustrations and that Jol did a great job making himself that target ( not at all a compliment ), but EVERYONE at Fulham who has been responsible for the onfield PL product should carry a bit of shame for where we find ourselves.

The supporters, especially those who've paid to attend games, have been let down this season.

0001.jpeg   Excellent post

copthornemike

Agreed - the team that destroyed Norwich 5-0 played some of the best free flowing, 90 minutes displays of attacking football Fulham have played in the Premiership. Unfortunately the follow up display at Old Trafford persuaded Spurs ( and possibly some of the other 'big boys') that they too fancied most of our midfield and the rest was history.
So in answer to the original question - no, Jol could not have saved us this season. In mitigation he did not apparently have any money to use in a number of transfer periods and had to make do with loans and free transfers, but I was particularly disappointed that when we reached 37 points so quickly least season he did not then introduce some younger players with an eye on this season.
So as others have pointed out he was a problem, but not the only one.
The really interesting question to pose however is IF he had been well supported financially over more than one transfer window could he have even moved us up to the next level?
Jol certainly could certainly produce an attacking team - and equally certainly could not balance it with a defensively sound team. Maybe the loss of Ray Lewington to Roy and England afected Fulham more than was apparent at the time!

Lighthouse

Ok let's not pretent that if Jol had a proper chance in the transfer market he would have created a wondeful side. Fans always point out the odd half of Football or the Norwich game. Fact is he had some good players but failed to make them into a good team consistantly. He appears to have alienated some players and divided the supporters. We ended up not crossing the half way line. This weekends game in the second half is how Jol had us playing most of the time.

Thie mistake was keeping him on as long as we did. Mind you from day one in the Prem rounds of the Europa League I was saying the same thing. Very dull and boring. Just like we played 99% of the time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope