watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Lie detector test

Started by Count Berbatov, February 28, 2014, 07:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Berbatov

Thanks guys. I believe I have treated most on here with nothing but respect. Hope you are OK with me sticking around. Times are difficult as is, no need to waste time and energy on me
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

PokerMatt

Quote from: Count Berbatov on February 28, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
Thanks guys. I believe I have treated most on here with nothing but respect. Hope you are OK with me sticking around. Times are difficult as is, no need to waste time and energy on me

No problems at all here. Besides, it's sometimes good to have a neutral opinion on matters.

There are fans of other teams on here who always get treated with respect too, so as far as I'm concerned you're very welcome.  082.gif
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Count Berbatov

Quote from: Berserker on February 28, 2014, 11:17:22 AM
Mind you I'm curious about the lie detector test, is it common place in America then. I'd be crap at it, I always looked guilty in assemblies at school even though I had done no wrong
That's not quite how it works though.
My understanding is, that it has a way to detect lies not based just on physical movements. Heart rate changes etc.
They say when you lie, you use your imagination. As opposed to just stating the fact. Or and also, you know how when you lie you get the adrenaline rush. It has a way to detect that
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Burt

Just a reminder:

No PERSONAL ABUSE or BAD LANGUAGE. I have edited one of the responses on this thread because of this and sent a PM to the poster.

Whilst FOF is for Fulham supporters, we do welcome fans from other clubs so long as they respect the rules. In this particular case, unless anyone puts me right, the Count has always been respectful and courteous.

So simmer down peeps, how can I have a peaceful lunch if I have to stop people from swinging their handbags?? Pasta and sausage today...

Cheers

Burt

Forever Fulham

Decades ago, Count, U.S. courts uniformly held that lie detector machine results were inadmissible in court as evidence because they were deemed to be unreliable.  I'm not aware of any British court that allows them.  They say people can learn to control their pulse rate, calm themselves like Tibetan monks meditating, and that certain groups--sociopaths/psychopaths (the ones most likely to have committed the crime)--can pass.  And there's always been the notion that some people have nervous dispositions, and their fear at being wrongly convicted actually causes their pulse to race or trigger arrhythmic tachycardia of a sort when asked questions tending to indicate guilt if answered 'incorrectly'.  A self-fulfilling prophesy if you will.   Private security forces use them.  Some other private industries use them.  Law enforcement will occasionally ask 'if you'd be willing to take a lie detector test' all the while knowing the results aren't admissible.  THEY think there is merit to the tests, admissibility notwithstanding.  Passing it tends to clear you in their eyes. 

MasterHaynes

I thought the site was Friends of Fulham which includes the whole spectrum of affection and affiliation to Fulham FC. It wasn't so long ago we were all proud of the fact that Fulham were many peoples favorite 2nd club.
So long as people are respectful and have a genuine interest in Fulham, regardless of whether its because a favorite player or fellow countryman has joined the club I have no problem with them posting here. A more dispassionate view is often quite revealing and calming. Always happy to hear a different viewpoint from any friend of Fulham. Trolls and other clubs fans trying to inflict their own views are not and quite rightly should be excluded.  049:gif

epsomraver

Quote from: MasterHaynes on February 28, 2014, 01:18:11 PM
I thought the site was Friends of Fulham which includes the whole spectrum of affection and affiliation to Fulham FC. It wasn't so long ago we were all proud of the fact that Fulham were many peoples favorite 2nd club.
So long as people are respectful and have a genuine interest in Fulham, regardless of whether its because a favorite player or fellow countryman has joined the club I have no problem with them posting here. A more dispassionate view is often quite revealing and calming. Always happy to hear a different viewpoint from any friend of Fulham. Trolls and other clubs fans trying to inflict their own views are not and quite rightly should be excluded.  049:gif

So what does that make the count then? he is a Man U fan, he talks about them so what is the difference?

TonyGilroy

We're all trying to inflict our views on others.

In real life we're wise to be careful - on here we just let rip.

Forever Fulham

Where is it written you can only follow one club?   Count doesn't denigrate FFC.  He brings a welcome perspective. 

Julius Geezer

Count Berbatov talks more sense than most of ya!

btings

QuoteThere's absolutely no chance you can cheat it.

History has pretty clearly shown this to be untrue.

That said, I like the Count, and I think his opinions are a valuable contribution to the forum.

HatterDon

I took several lie detector tests during my time as an intelligence officer. There's a reason why their results are not acceptable as testimony in criminal trials. They are very easy to fudge, and good liars -- actors, politicians, sociopaths -- can beat them every time.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

In France they regard graphology (handwriting analysis) as a valid tool in selection processes.

I think all these things are far too way out and untrustworthy for we English, we'll just stick to reading the good old reliable tealeaves.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Count Berbatov

Quote from: HatterDon on March 01, 2014, 02:40:23 AM
I took several lie detector tests during my time as an intelligence officer. There's a reason why their results are not acceptable as testimony in criminal trials. They are very easy to fudge, and good liars -- actors, politicians, sociopaths -- can beat them every time.
Yep. That's me

Rupert

I took several lie detector tests during my time as an intelligence officer.

Am I the only one who reads something sinister into Hatter being a US intelligence officer (insert your own joke here) and posted to this country? Eh? Eh?

Though, thinking about it, he doesn't say who he was an intelligence officer for. Hmm, were you the inspiration for "The Americans" TV series, Don? Tell the truth, now.  :022:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Berserker

My name is Don, James Don and I like it shaken and not stirred
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

Quote from: Rupert on March 01, 2014, 09:42:27 AM
I took several lie detector tests during my time as an intelligence officer.

Am I the only one who reads something sinister into Hatter being a US intelligence officer (insert your own joke here) and posted to this country? Eh? Eh?

Though, thinking about it, he doesn't say who he was an intelligence officer for. Hmm, were you the inspiration for "The Americans" TV series, Don? Tell the truth, now.  :022:

US and intelligence  064.gif 064.gif