News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Season starts today - win, lose or draw - it's time to take things by the scruff

Started by General, March 01, 2014, 11:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

of the kneck.

Listen to this song whilst reading this post (as background music - not too loudly)

"Freedom" by Anthony Hamilton & Elayna Boynton in "Django Unchained"

.... got it ready? Press play...

Now listen..

Our season starts today..

I'm not talking about a win, lose or draw, in many regards, whilst we all know it'd be nice to win, the result in many ways will be irrelevant.

What really matters now is a statement of intent - we saw it against Man Utd, we were lucky. We saw it with less luck against Liverpool.

I know that we are one of 10 teams in this predicament, and at the wrong end, but whilst other results carry weight, we are not out of this, not at all.

We are four points adrift, only 4, and we have Cardiff and Crystal Palace as two winnable games.. 6 points. Not to mention the others a rejuvenated Fulham would be able to bring in.

What we need to see is a Magath team - a team willing and capable of fighting - a fit team that can last 90 minutes - be competitive.

It's time for brave decisions to be made and for a discipline, which if we're being honest has been found wanting this season.

Bent is our most natural finisher - we need him to be playing. He may rue chances, but his pace and natural ability to hang off the last man also creates more opportunities for himself and the team - Chelseas defence he A) knows from his time in the England setup and B) can beat with his pace - they aren't that quick. Kvist needs to start instead of Parker. Hangeland has to have worked on improving his distribution - he needs his mojo back. Magath clearly rates him - he needs to step back up to the plate.

We need a manager who is willing to make the right decisions and prepare them properly for our games - a team that doesn't look shaky in defence - the first 7 days he was our manager you can understand a lack of firm ideas, 14 days on though and it's time we saw a stamp on the team. No more making subs in positions during the game, we all know shouldn't have even needed to have taken place.

Today is the first proper glimpse we will see of what Magath has been working on, what he is capable of moving forward.

Come rain or shine though, we need the 12th man - I remember the passion we had when we beat Chelsea 1-0 at the cottage, we made Mourinho panic and he made all his subs before half time - the passion literally exploded onto the pitch after the final whistle with a pitch invasion - we need to show that much passion. Don't use the clappers if provided - use your voice and your hands - time to go back to old school methods which are more profound and powerful.

Today - I hope - is the day we mark our intent. We have 11 games left. 5 or 6 of those are teams around us - it is time we believe in what we are capable of - it's time to start breathing confidently again - deep breaths, confident breaths. Anyone can beat anyone - believe it, because it is true.

ron

...not sure that the result is ever in any way irrelevant.......that was the attitude that earlier on in the season (when we were "rebuilding", etc.) got us into this mess in the first place.

RaySmith

Normally I would say that a strong performance is the main thing against Chelsea, who no one expects us to beat - but now, after several good performances, that have ended in defeats, it's important to get points on the board.

I'd rather see us  have a fluky win, than a heroic defeat - and just hope we can get something from this game, rather than praise for a battling performance, but no points.

Our fans will be fired up, and it's important to start strongly, and get them right behind the team from the start.

COYW!

Blanco

I really hope we show intent today. I'm not expecting a win or even a draw but that's what we have to try and get. I just hope the players and manager have as much want and belief as we do. I hope we're all not dissapointed by the team sheet once again. We're gonna need Sidwell today. I would usually say Parker as well but not sure anymore.

General

Quote from: ron on March 01, 2014, 11:48:03 AM
...not sure that the result is ever in any way irrelevant.......that was the attitude that earlier on in the season (when we were "rebuilding", etc.) got us into this mess in the first place.

You are missing the point son - the point is to not build up a hard game and get people dispondent with us losing because we have a lot of competitive games where if we show a good level of improvement and certain solidity defensively we can legitimately get ourselves out of this predicament and out of the relegations places come the final day of the season and that (as is always the case) attitude is of ultimate importance and that includes us as fans, because as fans - being extremely passionate and vociferous we can make a huge difference - I remember the European nights - I remember the stand up if you still believe chant against Hamburg which galvinised the players and made them believe in the seemingly impossible.

It's time to get rid of your dirty laundry (the negativity) and it's time to look for the improvements and the possibility that things may be ticking and falling into place under Magath, just in time to make a concerted effort to get ourselves out of this situation and playing premier league football next season.

If Magath gets a grip of what it takes to be a premiership manager and the players respond to him well - we stay up and he gets money (which Khan has been quite good at giving since he came in) then there is every chance we may start fighting and developing as we should have post Hodgson era - that is something we need to look for, hold on to if and when we see it and support wholeheartedly whether we see it or not. Because it counts. It really does.

ron

Surely the 'dirty laundry - the negativity' you mention includes thinking that the result is in any way irrelevant. Considering reasons for postponing the business of professional sport - winning - in any way dilutes the effort for the most important game...i.e. the one you are about to play.

Mid-table teams may have irrelevant games towards the end of the season to try out new ideas. But none of those in the drop zone do.

P.S. If I'm of your son's age, many happy returns for your ninety-fifth.