https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Should Probert have ended the match?

Started by K33NY, March 25, 2014, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

Quote from: K33NY on March 26, 2014, 11:48:05 AM
Quote from: PokerMatt on March 26, 2014, 10:42:19 AM
There were four minutes of added time and they had gone 30 seconds over that. Why not blow the whistle? Would have been more outrageous had he allowed the attack and they'd scored no?

why did he allowe Arsenal to keep attacking over the added time then?
what is held up is a minimum amount so anywhere between 4 and 4.59 minutes would be considered as meeting that i guess, if it had gone over 5 i would have thought 5 would have been held up by the fourth official.

Also something to consider, were the 4 minutes held up before the own goal? that would of added a few seconds more on the end of the minimum of four minutes shown.
Every day is a Fulham day

BishopsParkFantastic

We have fourth officials. At the end of full time, the fourth official should hold up the card with the added time, then operate an electonic  hooter (connected to the ground loudspeakers) that is set to go off after full time plus the added time. Simple! Everyone, ref, fans, players and managers can her the hooter and play stops the moment is goes off.

Instead of an electronic hooter, could use a professional drummer at the side of the pitch  :drums:

westcliff white

bu the time shown is a minimum, of a goal is scored in that time more additional time can be added, the same for an injury. It is always announced as a minimum so after it has elapsed the whistle can go at any time. Of course the 4th official could put up 4.34 and then a hooter could go subject to no further goals, subs or injuries.

andyk

I seem to remember an English ref, during a world cup many years ago, blowing the final whistle as a corner was being taken. As the ball came in a goal was scored and everyone celelbrated and the other team was devestated, but the pillock pointed to the dressing rooms and said the game was over before the ball crossed the line.

westcliff white

Quote from: andyk on March 26, 2014, 02:08:59 PM
I seem to remember an English ref, during a world cup many years ago, blowing the final whistle as a corner was being taken. As the ball came in a goal was scored and everyone celelbrated and the other team was devestated, but the pillock pointed to the dressing rooms and said the game was over before the ball crossed the line.
Clive Thomas he was welsh

HatterDon

Quote from: westcliff white on March 26, 2014, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: andyk on March 26, 2014, 02:08:59 PM
Clive Thomas he was welsh

and never ref'd again if I remember correctly.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

K33NY

heres a vid of clive thomas I founf on youtube..... seriously.... wtf? thats all I have to say to that -.-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JFuWqwFg4

westcliff white

The time was up so the whistle went. If that's the refs opinion the so be it. Do we need to,play until someone scores?

Nick Bateman

They were supposed to play 4 minutes of injury time minimum, then Swansea scored which should add another 1 minute.  They only played 30 seconds over the allotted 4 minutes and the timing of the whistle was dastardly.

Here is Garry Monk's view on it
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2589702/Monk-slams-Probert-Swansea-denied-chance-score-winner-Arsenal.html
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

God The Mechanic

A goal only adds 30 seconds, or at least it did the last time I checked.  Swansea scored in the 90th minute and then the whistle blew after 94:41 (according to the BBC).  If he did add 30 seconds for the goal, then 4:11 is still "at least" 4 minutes of stoppage time.

westcliff white

correct GTM, refs can add upto 30 seconds for substitutions and celebrations after goals scored

epsomraver

Your analysis that when the 4th official holds up the board that shows 4 minutes so that would mean anywhere between 4 and 4.59 minutes is incorrect, all that shows is at the end of normal time the ref has deemed that a minimum of 4 minutes will be played. If there was a serious injury for example after the 90 was up  then the extra time could stretch into many more than 4 minutes. I agree they are some strange interpretations of the laws, I have seen a ref allow a corner( which he does not have to do) and then blow up as soon as ball comes over.

westcliff white

epsom that's what i put on an earlier reply if there is a delay in the 4 minutes time is added on to that. in this case Flamini scored an OG after the board had gone up so it is safe to assume there would have been more time after the 4 minutes had been played. the fact he blew while swansea were attacking to me is irrelevant if time is up time is up.

Nick Bateman

To defend Probert's disgraceful timing of when he blew the whistle as the player was baring down on goal, I spot a few Gooner sympathizers here....

Logicalman

Quote from: K33NY on March 25, 2014, 10:59:20 PM
According to this http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf if you scroll down to page 28

Allowance for time lost
Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
• substitutions
• assessment of injury to players
• removal of injured players from the fi eld of play for treatment
• wasting time
• any other cause

The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.

So from this (fifa rules) there is actually no written rule about it.

Also in addition to the above, the same rulebook has the following for interpretation of the rules:::

Pg 98 - LAW 7 – THE DURATION OF THE MATCH

Allowance for time lost

Many stoppages in play are entirely natural (e.g. throw-ins, goal kicks). An allowance is to be made only when these delays are excessive.

The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each period of play.

The announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount of time left in the match. The time may be increased if the referee considers it appropriate but never reduced.

The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half by increasing or reducing the length of the second half.

So there you have it, the laws according to FIFA, and the English FA rules defer to the FIFA rules on their website.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Nick Bateman

Logicalman you left out the sub-paragraph amendment created by Richard Scudamore exclusively for the Premier League Law 7, section (b), which states:

In the circumstances where a lesser club are likely to score a few seconds beyond the added allotment of time the official must end the match forthwith, however if the greater club are about to score the official must wait until the move is clearly over before he can end the match.

Blanco

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2014, 05:03:10 PM
Logicalman you left out the sub-paragraph amendment created by Richard Scudamore exclusively for the Premier League Law 7, section (b), which states:

In the circumstances where a lesser club are likely to score a few seconds beyond the added allotment of time the official must end the match forthwith, however if the greater club are about to score the official must wait until the move is clearly over before he can end the match.

I thought everyone knew this...

Logicalman

Quote from: Nick Bateman on March 27, 2014, 05:03:10 PM

Yep, my bad, promise to try harder.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.