News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have you ever hated another team enough to want FFC to lose?

Started by Neil D, March 26, 2014, 01:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil D

I read in the 'i' today that Real fans think that Atletico Madrid might roll over against Barcelona in the final match of the season if that will prevent Real from winning La Liga title - assuming, of course, Atletico are not able to win it themselves.  I remember in May 2010 how Lazio supporters booed any attempts by their own team to score against Inter and cheered Inter's two goals against them because this would make it less likely that Roma would pip Inter for the Serie A title. 

These circumstances take local rivalry to another dimension.  I don't hate any other team enough to want us to lose to inflict damage on that team (not even Liverpool), no matter how inconsequential that defeat would be.

HatterDon

I want Fulham to win every match they play. This "lose to hurt our rivals" stuff is not really British or American for that matter.

Of course, I don't understand it when Fulham supporters want us to lose European ties or domestic cup ties "so that we can concentrate on the league" either.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Aaron

"Hate" is an incredibly strong word and without wanting to sound like some sort of old schoolmaster, it has no place in football.  I don't "hate" any other team in any other league.

I don't actually like Chelsea or QPR because of how they do business but I'd apply the same to Manchester City.  It's all about the money with them.  I'd be of the view that no team should be in a position to have a second string side that would still be in with a shout of winning the league.  What's even worse than that is the ridiculous wages these clubs are willing to pay players signed to long term contracts on seemingly little more than a whim.  The number of careers that have been ended this way is horrid.  Player makes "dream move" on £100k a week and vanishes off the face of the earth because he never gets a game and no one is ever going to offer that sort of money elsewhere.

But none of this constitutes hate.  I just like to see it nor work out for clubs like this.

If we were a secure 11th or 12th or something with nothing to play for and the last game of the season was against Liverpool and our losing would mean Chelsea wouldn't win the title then I'd view it as a silver lining of sorts.  I'd much rather see us beat Liverpool though.

Blanco

If Fulham were safe and we had City on the last game of the season and they needed the three points to win the league then absolutely I would take a loss so that Chelsea couldn't win the title. Might sound petty and selfish but I don't care.

049:gif

King_Crud

read "A Season With Verona", written in the early 2000s about Italian football. Apparently it's common practice for middling teams to have questionable losses to favour certain teams if they've got nothing to lose or gain.

HatterDon

Quote from: King_Crud on March 26, 2014, 04:04:16 PM
read "A Season With Verona", written in the early 2000s about Italian football. Apparently it's common practice for middling teams to have questionable losses to favour certain teams if they've got nothing to lose or gain.

That's why I never take the Italian league seriously.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Neil D

I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle.  Thanks for the reference.

Jimpav

I would gleefully accept a loss if it meant Chelski missing out on champions league football or QPR getting relegated.

Petty I know but that's the nature of the game. Without the pathetic rivalries and grudge matches it would be a rather dull sport.

Sky and the media in general cottoned onto this long ago - derby matches are always televised and hyped beyond all proportion.

I would draw the line at us fielding a weakened side or deliberately playing badly though. That is not entertainment in anyone's book.

Putney

It's also so the team that it benefits owes them a favour.

JBH

MJG

I'm sure at some time we have gone into a game where if the oppo won it would relegate or stop another winning something. And I may have had a little wish that they won, but when we ko I want us to win every game.

F(f)CUK

When watching/listening to a match I always think - what would be the best result for Fulham. An example, whilst most football supporters were tuned into the Manc derby last night, I was more interested in Swansea. So in a word - no.

Pluto

No. I don't 'hate' any other club. Strong dislike for Man United and also don't like QPR, Sunderland, Liverpool or Spurs but not enough that is want to inflict any damage on us.

alfie

Quote from: Aaron on March 26, 2014, 02:04:26 PM
"Hate" is an incredibly strong word and without wanting to sound like some sort of old schoolmaster, it has no place in football.  I don't "hate" any other team in any other league.

I don't actually like Chelsea or QPR because of how they do business but I'd apply the same to Manchester City.  It's all about the money with them.  I'd be of the view that no team should be in a position to have a second string side that would still be in with a shout of winning the league.  What's even worse than that is the ridiculous wages these clubs are willing to pay players signed to long term contracts on seemingly little more than a whim.  The number of careers that have been ended this way is horrid.  Player makes "dream move" on £100k a week and vanishes off the face of the earth because he never gets a game and no one is ever going to offer that sort of money elsewhere.

But none of this constitutes hate.  I just like to see it nor work out for clubs like this.

If we were a secure 11th or 12th or something with nothing to play for and the last game of the season was against Liverpool and our losing would mean Chelsea wouldn't win the title then I'd view it as a silver lining of sorts.  I'd much rather see us beat Liverpool though.

Have to say Aaron if it was not for MAF's money we would never have got to the premiership, for every club it is all about money, to be honest although nowhere the same sort of amounts, but technically we have paid to get where we are or maybe in a few weeks where we were,
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Fulham Tup North

Back in 1992 I was in Manchester and local radio had interviews with City fans. They were saying they would rather lose to Leeds than let United win the title. They duely lost 2-1.
Sad.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

God The Mechanic

Some teams represent more than just a football club.  For Catalan and Basque teams there's often deep rooted nationalistic pride.  I'd imagine it's quite similar with many Latin teams, some may have political and/or cultural ties that mean so much more than "I like this team because of player X/Y/Z".  Then there's the issue of Ultras - which is basically a club's hooligan chapter.

Fortunately I think English football has progressed a lot in the last few decades.

DukeTyrion

Quote from: Jimpav on March 26, 2014, 04:43:22 PM
I would gleefully accept a loss if it meant Chelski missing out on champions league football or QPR getting relegated.

Ditto.

It also has a long term effect. If Chelsea are out of the Champions League and QPR and out of the Premiership, then maybe a few more of the next generation of supporter will wear white. More fans, bigger stadium, better players etc...

Of course, if would need to be a game that had no effect on Fulham, but anything that damages the hopes and dreams of our local rivals can only be good for us in the long term.

Jem

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

JDH101

Um, I hate us so much this season I wouldn't mind losing to Palace on the last day of the season to get relegated.

Juuuuuuuust kidding. Sort of.

Putney

Can't remember being in this situation before but if we had nothing to play for then yes, I wouldn't oppose the idea.