watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Riverside Stand development

Started by Riversider, April 25, 2014, 11:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

According to Sarah Brookes on Cottage Talk , the Riverside Stand redevelopment will NOT be starting this summer, a reason (or was it an excuse) was given that steel needs to be ordered, and a commencement date will be issued in due course.
If your glass is half full you could take this to mean, let's see how the start of next season goes before we make an announcement !
Only time will tell I suppose.

St Eve

Clearly an excuse. The steel needs to be ordered - really!

leonffc

Probably just an oversight from the construction company. These things are often forgotten when planning a big job fp.gif

jarv

what a f*****g joke. PLEASE be honest, say it as it is like West ham did when they went down.

b+w geezer

They key question is: "Will work on the Riverside re-Development definitely commence before permission for it expires?"

MJG

Of course steel needs to ordered. Its not like dropping into B&Q to get some fencing.
She also said they are talking to contractors and working on a timescale. Why look at the negatives all the bloody time.

Riversider

The contractors , The Buckingham Group, were organised about 3 years ago, and I don't disagree that steel does indeed need to be ordered, BUT , we were told ages ago, that the first job that has to be done is the strengthening of the retaining wall on the river ! What that has to do with steel I have no idea , do you ?

MJG

They could not do any work in the river without the approval from the port authority. They did not know when that would or if be approved.
Do you expect them.to have it all sitting somewhere waiting for the OK?that's just not realistic.
There were other reasons why port authority took so long to approve but once they were sure the issues were dealt with they approved work.

Riversider

So why can't work on the retaining wall (which is the first stage) not start this summer ! The reason given for the delay yesterday , was because of steel being ordered, which has nothing to do with a delay on the ground works !
Doesn't seem right to me now that the green light has been given that nothing is going to happen for 3 months over the summer.

Peabody

I have long ago come to the conclusion, that no matter what the club say or do, there will be those who will prefer to look at the negatives. Unfortunately, mainly due to the past two years, that group has grown.

Just why this subject is now an issue, is beyond me. We have no say in what is happening, we can complain as long and as loudly as we like but it is out of our hands, that is, of course, unless we are prepared to put up the cash for this project., which is highly unlikely. Surely we have more to worry about than whether the Riverside is redeveloped?

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: MJG on April 26, 2014, 08:19:52 AM
Of course steel needs to ordered. Its not like dropping into B&Q to get some fencing.
She also said they are talking to contractors and working on a timescale. Why look at the negatives all the bloody time.

Well said MJG  :54:
Right now I am more interested in the players steel ...........................only three games and 9 points to be had. COYW's

MJG

Quote from: Riversider on April 26, 2014, 09:57:49 AM
So why can't work on the retaining wall (which is the first stage) not start this summer ! The reason given for the delay yesterday , was because of steel being ordered, which has nothing to do with a delay on the ground works !
Doesn't seem right to me now that the green light has been given that nothing is going to happen for 3 months over the summer.
Some basic ground laying work may start before next summer , but very doubtful anything major will happen due to when the season starts and availability of both companies and materiel's.

Riversider

I agree, and that's what needed to be said yesterday, but it wasn't !
So let's see what happens this summer, I guarantee more positive news will be given if we win the next 3 matches !
Time will tell.

filham

Now if a contract has been let and the construction has been delayed because the contractor is having difficulty in procuring steel then then give the contractor a kick up the backside and fully explain the situation to us.

As yet we have had no information regarding any progress in the matter, has a contract been let or not.

However Peabody is right there are much bigger things to talk about today but that is possibly why we have been told the new stand will not commence yet, we have other things on our mind and the statement will almost pass unnoticed.

Nero

I'm not in construction but I would have thought this is quite a big job and to get the workforce and equipment into place would take a while

K33NY

Theres alot of big constructions in the town I live in here in Norway, and since it so small we all know much details about it, and what we all learned is that ALL of them has started out later than they said cus it took longer time than expected to get materials, tools, trucks and diggers, even proper paperwork was forgotten on the indoors sports arena they are building now so it took 6 months longer to start.

And all these plans and buildings was made by Norway's richest man, but he forgot paperwork etc :P So I believe the statement given

MasterHaynes

originally I thought work had to start in feb to take advantage of the low tides and that the main preparation work could be done around the riverside so that in the summer the main work could be done allowing theexiisting riverside seating to be available for the start of the next season

General

Perhaps I'm wrong, but can't you as a club put certain things in place to stop sensitive topics from being discussed when doing interviews. If it was something the club where trying to dumb down and phase out then presumably they can just stop people from talking about it or bringing up, saying no questions will be answered.

MJG

Quote from: MasterHaynes on April 26, 2014, 11:44:29 AM
originally I thought work had to start in feb to take advantage of the low tides and that the main preparation work could be done around the riverside so that in the summer the main work could be done allowing theexiisting riverside seating to be available for the start of the next season
but they were not allowed to work on the river until permission was given which was in March.

Artful Dodger

An insurance contact of mine whose company insure Fulham and the Cottage said that after initial discussions about a larger Riverside stand, it had all gone quiet for a number of months. Now, that doesn't mean things can't progress without the insurance company but it does suggest that the plans are on hold. He certainly didn't mention anything about it going ahead but delays due to steel delivery were delaying things! I don't know how close he really his to it all but there you go.....
Faber est suae quisque fortunae